We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Post Dynamic Signature Generator for LotRO-Characters

I have launched Dynamic Signature Generator for LotRO-Characters. Which is a free fan-service image creator. No strings attached. Which by coincident is perfectly timed with Turbine removing their own signature image generator And them also allowing an external image in signatures

If you use one of the data sources (only GuildPortal at this time), the image is dynamically updated with data from your characters stats. So if you e.g. change level, just change it on the character-page of your selected data source and the image will update as well (when reloaded).

It is also possible to make a signature without having a data source. But then you will have to save the image and upload it to a server of your choice.

For PHP programmers:
    If you want your forum-host to be available as a data source, and if you have enough knowledge of PHP to make a script that can extract the data; you can contact me. I can also provide an example script.
    Last edited by Kalmo; Aug 05 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Nice one. However there doesn't seem a way to specify crafting info manually, any chance to add that?
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    there doesn't seem a way to specify crafting info manually, any chance to add that?
    There is a chance I guess :-) Not easy to show the crafting info within a small space. But it's something I consider doing still.

Only thought about it because I saw it in your sig
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Very cool man. I never could get it to save right, so I just made a static jpg. I don't use guildportal so it's all good. Thanks!

The only suggestion I would make would be to simplify the graphics on the borders because on a majority of them, you can't really read any of the text you put down there.
    Last edited by Widoch; Aug 05 2013 at 11:05 AM.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    Only thought about it because I saw it in your sig
    Yea. And in my sig u can see how much space it takes with just one craft skill I initially tried to fit all 3 skills in that space which turned out impossible.

At the moment I'm considering to put it on the left side of the top bar. And using icons instead of the skill names. Though u can always just write it out in one of the text lines, like Title.

Quote Originally Posted by Widoch View Post
    The only suggestion I would make would be to simplify the graphics on the borders because on a majority of them, you can't really read any of the text you put down there.
    Hmm. I don't have a problem there. But maybe it's down to monitor quality or settings. Anyway, maybe that could be solved with a thicker black outline of the text. I'll test it out.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    We are working very hard to allow the continuation of linking to images in forum signatures. We have a set of guidelines in place that all signatures must follow. These signatures are larger than permitted. Also, 100k on average is far too large for a signature image. They should be kept small. Ideally under 50K each.

Please review the guidelines so we do not have to disable this ability in the future.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519074-Absolutely-NO-animated-images-in-signatures

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Also, 100k on average is far too large for a signature image.
    You're making me feel young again with those 90's web guidelines
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

Poo...but rules are rules

Looks like your height is good, just need to cut down the width. After playing around in photoshop a bit, removing "kinship" text and "on" would allow you to bump the Kinship name over to the left, and the server as well. Then you can move and adjust some of the other icons and end up with something like this. (Yes, it's not clean but I'm just playing with sizes)

Sapience would need to confirm I suppose, but this image I've made would fit the requirements, no?

I have gone ahead and resized my sig so as not to get in trouble, but I would like to see an option with less width rather than making it short in order to not lose proportion.

It's a great idea.
    Last edited by Widoch; Aug 05 2013 at 11:59 AM.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

That's a pretty neat generator, well done.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmo View Post
    Yea. And in my sig u can see how much space it takes with just one craft skill I initially tried to fit all 3 skills in that space which turned out impossible.
    For me one would enough, you can only be guilded in one profession anyway and that's the interesting one usually.

I made all text outlines thicker. Hope it's enough to help.

We are working very hard to allow the continuation of linking to images in forum signatures. We have a set of guidelines in place that all signatures must follow. These signatures are larger than permitted. Also, 100k on average is far too large for a signature image. They should be kept small. Ideally under 50K each.

Please review the guidelines so we do not have to disable this ability in the future.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-in-signatures
    Wow those are strict indeed. I guess I can get the file-size down by doing jpeg instead of png. Though I would say that if u play LotRO u have a connection which do not care about images of this file-size. But the image size limit is beyond my understanding. This image is even quite smaller than Turbines original signature which even I found too big Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by Widoch View Post
    Looks like your height is good, just need to cut down the width. After playing around in photoshop a bit, removing "kinship" text and "on" would allow you to bump the Kinship name over to the left, and the server as well. Then you can move and adjust some of the other icons and end up with something like this. (Yes, it's not clean but I'm just playing with sizes)
    Your suggestions is not bad at all. I'll have to do something like this.

So, please refrain from using this until I get all this fixed. Gonna take quite some days I'm afraid.

Thanks for this, Kalmo. I hope you get it to work with the requirements.
    Retired. My LOTRO projects will no longer be maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Taravith View Post
    I have the forums set to deliver 50 posts on a page. Everybody has a 100k signature in their post then that is 5 megabytes in images for each page. That is a lot of data when the purpose of a forum page is to deliver readable text. A 500 page novel without images uses around 5 megabytes.

Be nice to people that have slow speed connections. Or low monthly caps like 2 gigabytes which is 400 - 50 post forum pages.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Wow those are strict indeed. I guess I can get the file-size down by doing jpeg instead of png.
    Considering I was told that the forums should in no way support images in signatures and I made a very loud case for getting ANY images in signatures within those limits, I'm just going to say that the prevailing opinion so far is 'We told you so. Turn them off entirely'. I'll avoid that as long as I can. Once I can't I'll do as I'm told. It's really up to you guys to show you're going to work within the rules or lose them. I've made my case and done what I can.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-in-signatures
    PS. U should probably put these guidelines on the page where u edit ur signature where they are needed. There is no need to "hide" them on the forums Would probably also save moderators for having to post this over and over again.

Considering I was told that the forums should in no way support images in signatures and I made a very loud case for getting ANY images in signatures within those limits, I'm just going to say that the prevailing opinion so far is 'We told you so. Turn them off entirely'.
    Jesus Christ, whoever those forum-policy-makers are, have they even been on the internet since 1993? If you really have to lobby for such basic functions, I wish you the best of luck and patience in dealing with such people.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

Considering I was told that the forums should in no way support images in signatures and I made a very loud case for getting ANY images in signatures within those limits, I'm just going to say that the prevailing opinion so far is 'We told you so. Turn them off entirely'. I'll avoid that as long as I can. Once I can't I'll do as I'm told. It's really up to you guys to show you're going to work within the rules or lose them. I've made my case and done what I can.
    I do absolutely appreciate all this, and am in no way complaining (except with a smile) *me goes back to redesigning*

PS. U should probably put these guidelines on the page where u edit ur signature where they are needed. There is no need to "hide" them on the forums Would probably also save moderators for having to post this over and over again.
    Trying, but it's a code change. Plus, I'm trying to get a code change to support something they want gone. Up hill fight.

Trying, but it's a code change. Plus, I'm trying to get a code change to support something they want gone. Up hill fight.
    Also, for those with short memories, you were never allowed to link or upload a sig unless it was one of the pre-built character sigs we provided.

Pardon me if I'm overlooking the obvious, but where do I find my CharacterID?
    Igluk ~ Warg
    Nadhuil ~ 85 Hunter
    Dollas ~ 85 Rune-Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by RLhunterman View Post
    Pardon me if I'm overlooking the obvious, but where do I find my CharacterID?
    I think this part only works if your kinship site is on GuildPortal, i.e., it's a GuildPortal thing. If your kinship is not on GuildPortal, then you need to select None (non-dynamic) at the top for Data Source.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb412/lcainsa/LOTRO/newcustomsig_zpsa3ba3eae.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Alcaniel View Post
    I think this part only works if your kinship site is on GuildPortal, i.e., it's a GuildPortal thing. If your kinship is not on GuildPortal, then you need to select None (non-dynamic) at the top for Data Source.
    Pity. I was hoping players had a way to get their raw Character IDs again. and Possibly their <Account> Id to go with it.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Exclamation

Jesus Christ, whoever those forum-policy-makers are, have they even been on the internet since 1993? If you really have to lobby for such basic functions, I wish you the best of luck and patience in dealing with such people.
    There are very good reasons why signature images in discussions are usually not possible, especially today (much more so than in 1993). Ever seen a image signature on twitter? In discussions in any blogs? In discussions at newspapers? etc, etc. - Virtually every modern Website (Web 2.0 for teh win ) does NOT allow user signatures with images in it. When I follow a link, e.g. from google, and come into a forum with signature images, invariably this forum will give me the feeling of being ooooold. Modern webpages are supposed to be fast, everything should (theoretically) happen instantaneous, not when finally every image hosting server decided that he is ok with sending the image.

Images will slow down the website for everyone. Now, they don't have to do so extremely - but only if, and that is important, if everyone plays nice. Using small images, hosting them at places where they will actually load fast and doing nothing else to slow everything down, then a forum can stay usable for everyone even with images in the signatures.

But. Sadly, there is a but.

I have launched Dynamic Signature Generator for LotRO-Characters. Which is a free fan-service image creator. No strings attached. Which by coincident is perfectly timed with Turbine removing their own signature image generator And them also allowing an external image in signatures
    What this server does, at least right now, is exactly an example for "doing something else to slow everything down" (nothing that can't be fixed, but in this way I definitely don't like the idea of seeing these signatures all around).
    I can understand why someone would think, dynamically created image, so no caching, but this will not do. Not cached images are meant for situations, where the image will change really fast (on average no more than 5 seconds between changes), and where at the same time it is in some way important that the image is not only somewhat accurate but absolutely so. Kalmo, you absolutely have to change the caching setting for the dynamic signatures. Right now, users are forced to reload these images every time a forum page is (re-)loaded. Where ever a signature is that the browser has seen just 5 seconds ago, it will have to reload this signature from the server. I think the caching time of imageshack should be absolutely enough for dynamic signatures, i.e. 2 hours. This way, images will update regularly, and actually more often than the data sources for the dynamic signature images is usually updated.

Even if you really want to force everyone to again and again reload unchanged images you'll have to ask yourself, if your provider will accept the kind of load this will generate. Every single load of a page in the forum with a signature on it will load the image from your server. F5 will reload the image. Several user using your service means lots of images are reloaded again and again and again, without ever changing in-between. And this comes with an additional problem. If your bandwith-limit is hit, most probably your provider will not disconnect your server, but instead throttle it down. Now we get to reload the images whenever a page is loaded, but even slower than normally, slowing everyone down even more (with 50kb-images, one image max per page, 5000 pageloads per day, this are already ~250 MB per day - have 4 images per page and 10k pageloads, and we are at 2 GB per day, etc.)

And, of course, fixing your caching bug will make it much more probable that images will stay allowed in signatures.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast