We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thank you for making coming to the forums annoying and inconvenient...

I am the only person who has access to my computer and I set things up on it for convenience. With this new and "improved" forum, it is now a royal pain in the butt to come here. Your "so called" extra security measures are simply an insult to our intelligence. You telling me that I shouldn't have the right to keep myself logged in or be able to auto log in is pure rubbish. If your goal is to get less people to come here so traffic isn't a problem, the new log in idiocy for the forums is a move in the right direction. Now if you could just get the horse caparisons to stay the right color or show up at all, along with not taking horses we've earned from us and correct the log in for the game, you can reduce the traffic to the forums even more. It seems instead of making the game and the forums more "user friendly", your group is working to make things more difficult and less enjoyable. I stopped bothering with bug reports, when it became painfully evident, things that aren't broken get more attention than things that are. This last patch broke so many things and rather than getting some good PR going and addressing the situation, you fall on the tried and true Turbine "Head in the sand" PR move so often used. Tweeting that you want us to tell you the exact problem for the log in issues, would hold a lot more weight, if we'd seen anything that would lead us to believe you would use the information, in any way, shape or form.

Since the late 80s, this is the first time I have seen a forum move backwards in accessibility and services when supposedly "upgrading". Good move Turbine, good move... Very 1993 of you, with these new forums and jog in protocols...

Well Sapience did say on LOTRO FB people would get to complain faster with the revamp.....

well since they removed the few useful features of the forums... leaderboards and the lorebook...

what else use is the forum other than a place to voice a complaint? Fancy making a place where you can guarantee to read just that !!!!

it cant possibly be for social reasons.. coz u can login to the actual game for that :-\
    Second Marshal Jevyan of Eldar
    Lvl105 : Mini LM RK Capt Champ Hunt Burg Guard R7: WL Def. Player from the beginning in 2007
    I can heal lots but I can't heal stupid

Quote Originally Posted by mykidstjz View Post
    Well Sapience did say on LOTRO FB people would get to complain faster with the revamp.....
    Stopped using Facebook when it got annoying and inconvenient after one of their famous "updates"...

Quote Originally Posted by Klaarg View Post
    I am the only person who has access to my computer and I set things up on it for convenience. With this new and "improved" forum, it is now a royal pain in the butt to come here. Your "so called" extra security measures are simply an insult to our intelligence. You telling me that I shouldn't have the right to keep myself logged in or be able to auto log in is pure rubbish. If your goal is to get less people to come here so traffic isn't a problem, the new log in idiocy for the forums is a move in the right direction.
    Up to now at least I stay logged in until I hit the inactivity timer.
    With the old forums I got logged out at random like many other users as well.

I would like to have a remember me checkbox but the new forums are much more useable than the old ones where ctrl-c ctrl-v to a text editor was almost mandatory before hitting the submit button.

Thumbs up

I'd also like to thank you for stopping me from using my grandchildren's faces as avatars. That was a 12 year old tradition I really needed to stop. Especially as my 7th grandchild, my first grandson, just arrived. This place gets homier and homier, the more I think about it. Thanks Warner Brothers, Turbine & LOTRO, the triad of making customers feel "less than"...

Relax, they're still working on it. They aren't done yet

Never seen a banking site that let you stay logged in. Even Paypal automatically logs you out.

Turbine has my credit card information. I'm personally okay with whatever security features they want to implement.

If ya want to stay logged in, install a refresher. I have one on chrome & it works great. Have it set up to just refresh the lotro forums.
    It's not Teal... it's [SIZE=3][COLOR=#00ffff][B]CYAN[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]!

Quote Originally Posted by Amberjack View Post
    Never seen a banking site that let you stay logged in. Even Paypal automatically logs you out.

Turbine has my credit card information. I'm personally okay with whatever security features they want to implement.
    Seriously?
    Prior to the revamp, the login page was set up such that your account info was sent UNENCRYPTED over the net to boston, for MONTHS. Threads that detailed what part was at fault and how to fix it got moved and ignored.

NOW they suddenly decide that it needs security the likes of banking sites have?
    And lets not forget that players STRONGLY objected to the notion of using the account info for the forum login, back when they did it, anyway?

I say, let us create forum accounts and be done with this logout nonsense.

SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

I agree that all of their "extra security" measures (with the exception of running https for the login page) are obnoxious. Not because they exist, but because they're mandatory. I run this game on a PC with multiple layers of virus/malware protection, never used by anyone else, on an encrypted wireless link that's locked down to specific MAC addresses. I have no need whatever for this "extra" security, and it's 100% annoying from my point of view.

That's why I installed a refresher plug-in and am running the LOTRO forums on a tab I keep up all the time (so I'm never logged out), and why I posted a thread (here) about how to get your browser to remember your login credentials for those few times I actually do get logged out (reboots, etc).

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Amberjack View Post

I have never been able to go from the forums to the part of the site that used my credit info without relogging in again, so obviously
    there was already a protocol in place. Being "OK with whatever" is a big part of the problem with this game already. Too many people
    with that attitude is why problems linger or never get attention. I pay to play and expect something resembling customer service,
    not be blown off or ignored when problems arise. If you're "Ok with whatever" then why even bother replying, they already pay people
    to agree with them...

I just gave up on them a long time ago. A triple 'A" company with a forum that doesn't have something as simple as a post history feature. And having to track down your name in someone's post does not count. Having to log in everytime is annoying too, especially with my long in game password.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I just gave up on them a long time ago. A triple 'A" company with a forum that doesn't have something as simple as a post history feature. And having to track down your name in someone's post does not count. Having to log in everytime is annoying too, especially with my long in game password.
    I love this forum. What can I say? If people can post and say this forum is annoying, it's going down the tubes, and so on then I can post and say I love this forum.

Really, it's just a forum about a game...

Quote Originally Posted by SNy-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    Seriously?
    Prior to the revamp, the login page was set up such that your account info was sent UNENCRYPTED over the net to boston, for MONTHS. Threads that detailed what part was at fault and how to fix it got moved and ignored.

NOW they suddenly decide that it needs security the likes of banking sites have?
    And lets not forget that players STRONGLY objected to the notion of using the account info for the forum login, back when they did it, anyway?

I say, let us create forum accounts and be done with this logout nonsense.

SNy
    ^^I was wondering the same thing? ....why the sudden, over-the-top concern for 'security'? Something they have not bothered to address at all even though people have been asking about the unencrypted log-on for a LONG time. Although I appreciate their sudden concern (about time?), it is a little odd to me.
    [color=purple]Cefely Elenhilde of Rivendell, lvl 85 Hunter;[/color][color=turquoise] Nenriel Lirulind of Lorien, lvl 85 Minstrel;[/color][color=hotpink] Cherrie Berry of the Fallohides, lvl 85 Burglar;[/color][color=green] Harloe Palohelm of Rohan, lvl 85 Warden;[/color][color=red] Ayan Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 85 Captain;[/color][color=yellow] Onja Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 83 Champion[/color]
    [color=cyan]Leader of founding Kinship Elenhilde on Meneldor[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Klaarg View Post
    they already pay people
    to agree with them...
    Really?!

1. How do you know this? & 2. Please, enlighten us if it isn't too Top Secret or anything! O.o
    [color=purple]Cefely Elenhilde of Rivendell, lvl 85 Hunter;[/color][color=turquoise] Nenriel Lirulind of Lorien, lvl 85 Minstrel;[/color][color=hotpink] Cherrie Berry of the Fallohides, lvl 85 Burglar;[/color][color=green] Harloe Palohelm of Rohan, lvl 85 Warden;[/color][color=red] Ayan Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 85 Captain;[/color][color=yellow] Onja Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 83 Champion[/color]
    [color=cyan]Leader of founding Kinship Elenhilde on Meneldor[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    I agree that all of their "extra security" measures (with the exception of running https for the login page) are obnoxious. Not because they exist, but because they're mandatory. I run this game on a PC with multiple layers of virus/malware protection, never used by anyone else, on an encrypted wireless link that's locked down to specific MAC addresses. I have no need whatever for this "extra" security, and it's 100% annoying from my point of view.

That's why I installed a refresher plug-in and am running the LOTRO forums on a tab I keep up all the time (so I'm never logged out), and why I posted a thread (here) about how to get your browser to remember your login credentials for those few times I actually do get logged out (reboots, etc).

Khafar
    How do you get the refresher plugin to work? I got my forum info saved, but the refresher that works well would be awesome. Do you just need one tab dedicated to the log in page, where you set it continuously refreshing? Or if it just refreshes the tab for the website, no matter where you are in it? I run with Firefox.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Cefely View Post
    Really?!

1. How do you know this? & 2. Please, enlighten us if it isn't too Top Secret or anything! O.o
    "Dear diary, so at 51 years of age, I find myself explaining
    to someone the idea of a 'yes man' on a gaming forum, because they took me so literally that they thought I meant someone got paid JUST to agree
    with them and it NEVER occurred to this individual that I was referring to their employees. Google and the Internet have obviously put a huge dent in
    people thinking for themselves, or this individual would have done just that."

Mr. Literal, I simply meant that companies don't need people to agree with them at every turn, because they have plenty of people who get a salary
    and probably spend a lot of their time telling bosses how right they are. Big companies are pretty much all the same in this regard. If you've ever
    worked in a big company and you didn't notice this was happening, "here's your sign" as the Southern comedian Bill Engvall is famous for saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    How do you get the refresher plugin to work?
    I'm on Chrome, so I'm not sure what's available on FF. The one I'm trying at the moment is called RefreshMonkey, and it lets me set a refresh interval on a per-tab basis. I just leave the LOTRO forums up in one tab, turn the refresher on, and it refreshes the tab every 30 minutes. If I happen to be in an edit session when it tries to refresh, Chrome asks if I really want to leave the page. I answer "no" and keep on typing.

Works well enough. It would work even better if I could find one that would automagically start running on any tab it saw that had the LOTRO forums on them. I noticed in the reviews for some of these things that a few of them will inject some ad HTML on occasion when a page loads, presumably as a way to generate some revenue for the plug-in maker. I'd avoid those like the plague.

Khafar

In Firefox, bring up the Add-ons Manager and search for "Auto Refresh".
    TANSTAAFL

Oh my. You're complaining about having to log in?
    Annoying and inconvenient? I'm speechless.
    What do you call having to breathe....
    ...an unnecessary waste of your valuable time?
    [center][font=Verdana][color=#BC8F8F][b][I]Meddle not in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger[/I][/b][/color][/font][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by SNy-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    I gotta say that this particularly point bothers me a lot. It's the first time I'm on a forum where my forum account info is tied to my friggin payment info. It makes me very uncomfortable. Compared to that big elephant in the room, current pseudo-concerns about security are absurd.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Taravith View Post
    I gotta say that this particularly point bothers me a lot. It's the first time I'm on a forum where my forum account info is tied to my friggin payment info. It makes me very uncomfortable. Compared to that big elephant in the room, current pseudo-concerns about security are absurd.
    You let that happen? Why on earth would you want to allow that? This account is a purely forum account and in no way connected to my paid, game playing account. I'm not stupid enough to trust Turbine's security that much!

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    This account is a purely forum account and in no way connected to my paid, game playing account. I'm not stupid enough to trust Turbine's security that much!
    I presume this is sarcasm, because nobody has a choice in the matter. Of course, the same thing was true for TOR when I played that: forum account = game account.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Astralman View Post
    What do you call having to breathe....
    ...an unnecessary waste of your valuable time?
    (Not to derail, but it does seem a very inefficient process... For any long term benefit you have to keep doing it over and over and over.... )

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast