We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Get rid of festivals! They are half of the problems for crashes and lost connections.

    Everytime they have an update prior to some festival, we start to have issues trying to log on or play without crashing. It is obvious that the servers cannot handle all the people that play on a server at one time, hence the slow downs, etc. I see topics arout fishing not working, not being able to log on and so forth and so forth. My son and I have been kicked out of the Dwarrowdelf 3 times today. The weekend is the only time we can play together. Why not set up a single server for festival #### only? Perhaps it can only be accessed during the time of some festival or special event.

    Yes, festivals are supposed to bring about a sense of community in the online world, but instead it is doing something else. It is pissing people off because of all the disconnects and bugs that appear because the update/additions are rushed out the door. How about just keeping the Christmas/New year festival only to give people something to do and chuck the rest. Realistically, most of the stuff you get or win cant be used in the game anyway. I did say 'most' and not all, keep that in mind. How about some cosmetic armor/clothing that actually protects you or fireworks that can damage monsters.

    Create a consistent uptime server and you will have a consistent customer base.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Arachnathelland (Ettenmoors)
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by shadedarkheart View Post
    Everytime they have an update prior to some festival, we start to have issues trying to log on or play without crashing. It is obvious that the servers cannot handle all the people that play on a server at one time, hence the slow downs, etc. I see topics arout fishing not working, not being able to log on and so forth and so forth. My son and I have been kicked out of the Dwarrowdelf 3 times today. The weekend is the only time we can play together. Why not set up a single server for festival #### only? Perhaps it can only be accessed during the time of some festival or special event.

    Yes, festivals are supposed to bring about a sense of community in the online world, but instead it is doing something else. It is pissing people off because of all the disconnects and bugs that appear because the update/additions are rushed out the door. How about just keeping the Christmas/New year festival only to give people something to do and chuck the rest. Realistically, most of the stuff you get or win cant be used in the game anyway. I did say 'most' and not all, keep that in mind. How about some cosmetic armor/clothing that actually protects you or fireworks that can damage monsters.

    Create a consistent uptime server and you will have a consistent customer base.
    1 server about ALL these people who want to participate in festivals?This server wouldn't even stand 5 minutes without crashing!

    The last 3-4 lines you wrote are ridiculous.There are many people in Lotro who are stoically waiting for the next festival to start,and you want to stop this?Also,you seem to forget that this is not RL,this is Lotro,which means that we MUST consume as many pie and ale/beer as possible,and this is something that can be done mainly in festival time! Show some empathy to our little fellas (Hobbits).
    In addition,I don't think that the idea of using Festival Tokens to barter armors and dmging items is appealing.I mean.you are killing foul creatures all day long!Even the mightiest of warriors need some rest in order to regain their powers.And I highly doubt that any of them went for fishing and returned witha new chestplate

    Cheers!
    ~Arachnathel Le Goddess~
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff6666]Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked for, is mine. ~Nikola Tesla~[/COLOR][/SIZE]

  3. #3
    Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion, as is everybody else. But I am not sure how much playing time you get when you play, so maybe if you play alot then the crash/disconnects in the game are a small part of your time. Unfortunetly, I work long hours during the week and this is how I relax on the weekend. I also put in a good amount of money into this account and help my son with his account and feel that my benefit to cost ratio is not really there during these festivals. Perhaps I should stop doing that and just play the game for free, like many others. That should keep the server and turbine up and running for many more years.

    I do realize that it would take more than one server to handle festival duties for all LOTRO players, maybe even 5-10. Yes, there are small communities and also kinships that like the festivals, but is it really as large as you assume it is? I have talked with other game players as well and many of them, just like myself, have avoided (decline) them. My time is limited and if I am going to do the festival stuff, I want real tangible game stuff that can be used to help me during the LOTRO journey, not just look pretty and take up space in my vault or inventory.

    I would like to see Turbine put the festivals up to a vote to either get rid of all, most or none of them. Perhaps even change the gifts and prizes value to you during actual gameplay by some other vote. I still think that moving the festivals to other servers will allow the developers to create a better experience for those that choose to attend and well as allow for more customization of those drinking and eating with the hobbits.

    I cant wait till this festival ends so I can get back to playing with the least amount of connection/crash issues.
    Last edited by shadedarkheart; Aug 04 2013 at 12:33 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by shadedarkheart View Post
    Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion, as is everybody else.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. 5 years playing, never had any more trouble with connectivity around festivals then at any other time.

    You want to make a change based on opinion, not facts. That is in a nutshell the problem with the modern world, they all think their fanciful imaginings are facts and worthy of making decisions around. We guess what, they aren't, so please knock it off.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    312
    Perhabs OP wanted to say that if festival is hold in not-so-huge area and there are lots of players there doing some acitivity, then we experience lags and slow loads etc. The idea about "festival server" may sound good, but technically is impossible (unless OP pays for that server). Also, OP probably wanted to point out that many festival rewards are just plain decoration items that has zero use for adventuring/combat, RP and house decorations aside. The only practical rewards may be mounts and their equipment, as well as "mystic dust" used for firework production. There are some recipes, but none for my weaponsmith though.

    Solution may be simple - for example, Summer "grind fish untill you lose your mind" festival could have some "Summer fishing rod" as a reward. Or have some dyes as a reward (bound to account).

    I do see other problem: past festival things. I have fish, I have flowers, I have various tokens in my premium wallet - and it's just useless stuff after festival ends. Since I am planning to play Lotro long long enough - there would be more and more stuff. Maybe developers could make some items we could exchange it into, like "[insert item name here] door mat". Example - "Amberjack door mat" with figure of 1 amberjack, exchangable to all amberjacks player has; "Marygold door mat" with figure of 1 marygold, exchangable to all marygolds player has etc.

    This problem solved, I see no problems with the festivals. Are they grindy? Sometimes, yes, beyond reason. Do they lack new rewards? Sometimes, yes (but as long as they have mounts and maps, I will take part in them). The only problem is that uber-huge "Festival has arrived!" ring and no option to turn it off. Othetr than this, everything is mostly ok and most players - I believe - are waiting for festivals.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by shadedarkheart View Post
    Yes, there are small communities and also kinships that like the festivals, but is it really as large as you assume it is? I have talked with other game players as well and many of them, just like myself, have avoided (decline) them. My time is limited and if I am going to do the festival stuff, I want real tangible game stuff that can be used to help me during the LOTRO journey, not just look pretty and take up space in my vault or inventory.
    You're assuming an awful lot here. I'm sure that the people you've spoken with are more or less of the same opinion as you, and that's just dandy. Personally, I subscribe to the opposite opinion (I actually enjoy the festivals), and pretty much everyone who I socialize with ingame agrees with me.

    That said, there are tons of people neither of us have spoken to who probably have their own opinions about festivals as well. Please don't go making assumptions about the greater chunk of playerbase because you've spoken to a handful of people about it. It's frankly asinine.

    Basically, you're asking for Turbine to piss off a very large chunk of the playerbase in order to make things more convenient for you. That seems more than a bit selfish, IMO. If you don't like the festivals, don't participate in them. If you're unhappy with Turbine because you feel like things you care about aren't taking priority, go free to play. It's honestly that easy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Doo doo doo, lookin' out my back door...
    Posts
    4,232
    At 12:02 AM August 17th, the LoTRO festivals became self aware....

    Farmers Faire: You will now ENJOY me or you will be lagged out of existence...muahahahahaha....

    Fall Festival: Just wait for me....you will discover a new meaning for pain and suffering....FORCED EMOTES! And your silly check box will NOT save you!

    Yule Festival: Child please...does the term 'Frozen Screen' mean anything to you?
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

  8. #8
    There does seem to be a significant number of folks who are not interested in the festival content or specifically do not want to participate in them. Perhaps Turbine could create specific 'festival free' servers that they can port their characters to. Then, they'd never have to worry about the "annoying" alerts popping up.

    This would be in keeping with the OP's desire and give them the option to leave instead of their desired change requiring those who like the festivals being required to port out.

  9. #9
    +1 to making "decline festival" really decline. I hate being in combat, leveling and having 1/4 of my screen occluded. Same with the change of status window, give us a shut status window" off" option not just a "resize" option. Every freaking time I log on, level, have a legacy lvl, get mail, have a AH post sell or expire, complete a deed, earn a deed, earn a title, earn a TP, gain rep etc. etc. etc. I have to have a status window pop up and take 1/4 of my screen as well and have to "x" it out. (yeh I tried resizing it to lower the annoyance factor, but then my chubby less than dexterious fingers have a harder time hovering the mouse over the "x" in corner of the screen).

    As to festival rewards, I, like the OP find the festival mildly annoying. There are no tangable rewards IMO. If there were a coinage system that was convertible to say skirm marks etc. then folks like me might pop in to the festivals now and then and participate. Who knows they might actually grow on us, but barring me getting something game play enhancing other than cosmetic, don't count on it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,118
    Unless you want to try to argue that the Summer Festival took out LOTRO, DDO, AC, and IC all at once. In which case the festivals have become self aware and there is nothing we can do to stop them.
    Comment of the week right there. Haha.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

  11. #11
    The festivals have been around forever. I do think when they are active there is a 'little bit' more lag. However I don't think they really contribute to the game play issues as a whole. You will have problems with long loads, rubberbanding, lag, etc even when no festival is active. There are instances and raids that are a real trial just because of the lag issues alone. The list of things making actual game play a trial are growing rather than lessening so let's not blame it on festivals. I, for one, love the festivals and to suggest getting rid of them is like suggesting getting rid of the housing. I don't understand much about game programming. While I love the graphics, I could have easily lived without the redo's to Bree, etc and been much happier with game fixes. I really wish they'd put the focus on THAT. Nuff said...

  12. #12
    Never had a crash or lag due to a festival. Stopp qq'ing and upgrade your puter.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Maglaf View Post
    ...
    In addition,I don't think that the idea of using Festival Tokens to barter armors and dmging items is appealing.I mean.you are killing foul creatures all day long!Even the mightiest of warriors need some rest in order to regain their powers.And I highly doubt that any of them went for fishing and returned witha new chestplate
    Altho there is one that's gone fishing and returned with a shiny new Ring of power :P
    I'm a Warden. I AM a small fellowship.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by phobossion View Post
    Altho there is one that's gone fishing and returned with a shiny new Ring of power :P
    Personally I am still trying to catch the Watcher. Imagine the trophy I will get when I do.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,383
    No, it's not the festivals, it's the endgame content. So simply keep the festivals and ban Turbine from adding new expansions, updates and bug-fixes. Problem solved!

    Wait, who says that doesn't make sense? It makes as much sense as blaming it all on fesitvals! Oh alright, it's another evil MMO sending gremlins over to attack Lotro and steel our players away, OK?

  16. #16
    No, getting rid of them would not be a good plan. Also, I very rarely crash even during festivals - bad ram, not enough ram, bad video card are most likely cause of crashing, which would be more evident when more folks were about.

    I crashed often before I upgraded to a better computer.
    Casual R Us - Garatha

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by shadedarkheart View Post
    Everytime they have an update prior to some festival, we start to have issues trying to log on or play without crashing. It is obvious that the servers cannot handle all the people that play on a server at one time, hence the slow downs, etc. I see topics arout fishing not working, not being able to log on and so forth and so forth. My son and I have been kicked out of the Dwarrowdelf 3 times today. The weekend is the only time we can play together. Why not set up a single server for festival #### only? Perhaps it can only be accessed during the time of some festival or special event.

    Yes, festivals are supposed to bring about a sense of community in the online world, but instead it is doing something else. It is pissing people off because of all the disconnects and bugs that appear because the update/additions are rushed out the door. How about just keeping the Christmas/New year festival only to give people something to do and chuck the rest. Realistically, most of the stuff you get or win cant be used in the game anyway. I did say 'most' and not all, keep that in mind. How about some cosmetic armor/clothing that actually protects you or fireworks that can damage monsters.

    Create a consistent uptime server and you will have a consistent customer base.
    I very much doubt the festivals are to blame for the current logon issues. They've been around now for years and nobody's had any problem.
    Crickhollow Server:
    Evenhald: L85 Minstrel Armaius: L76 Loremaster. Gaheriad: L81 Hunter Malhion: L74 Captain

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    642

    Festival quest rings

    Personally, I never participate in the Festivals. What I object to is that every time you log in or level up the quest ring re-appears. I thought I had handled this by accepting the quest, travelling to The Party Tree and mapping back home. Not so. I did this on all my characters before the end of July and guess what? On August 1, all my characters had the quest ring back. Not acceptable Turbine. Please, when you give us the option to decline, let it stay declined. Thank you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

    "There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

  19. #19
    I don't think, that if we'll get rid of the festivals, we'll get rid of all problems concerning login-faults, lags, etc.

    Festivals are just a part of the whole softwareworld we call Lotro. If its not festivals, then it could be the instances and raids, which are possibly responsible for the technical problems. Should they deleted then, too? And what's next?? At the end, we will have an huge empty world...

    I admit, I like the festivals and i try to participate on every festival. At the other side, i don't play in the ettenmoors and my group-playing activities are very seldom. But i never would urge Turbine to delete those parts of the game, only because they might cause these mentioned problems.

    So, if there are problems with updates or parts of the game, I can only hope, that Turbine will solve them.

    Surely, it is annoying, when you can't play due to technical problems, same to me. And we have more times with such problems than we have festivals here..

    Maybe it will be better in the future, i hope so...

    Greetings

    P.S: By the way, i also have a full time job, so my playtime is limited too.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2621a0000000044cf/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    4 Wending Way, Haremead, The Shire
    Posts
    104
    Where are you getting the idea that festivals are responsible for crashes and lost connections? I don't think they are. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think festivals are part of the update. They've been around for years and are a separate thing entirely, and just need to be turned on with the flip of a switch or something. No update is necessary, and the recent update to the game had nothing to do with starting the festival. It's just coincidence. I'm also not clear on what you mean about different servers for festivals. Every server has their own festival. Are you saying that we should have new festival-only servers and should have to roll new characters to play there? That seems odd.

    The items you get at festivals are used in-game. I use the housing items to decorate my house. I use the cosmetic clothing to change the looks of my characters and I do ride the horses. Well, most of 'em anyway. All of that is part of the game. Everyone has a different play style and I happen to love fluff and feel the game would suffer without it, and I don't think I'm alone in this. Just take a look at the big cosmetic thread in that forum. People don't just want to play well; they also want to look good while playing! The people who don't like it don't need to attend the festivals. You can avoid them with no penalty and it won't effect your gameplay at all.

  21. #21
    Besides, if you look you'll see that many areas that are heavy with players will have layering in order to handle the load caused by the more than normal number of players, so it's not the Fests that are the problem.

  22. #22
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Armaius View Post
    I very much doubt the festivals are to blame for the current logon issues. They've been around now for years and nobody's had any problem.
    They are completely unrelated. In fact, as it turns out that login issue were discovered to have been completely external to both the game and our service a a whole.

    Unless you want to try to argue that the Summer Festival took out LOTRO, DDO, AC, and IC all at once. In which case the festivals have become self aware and there is nothing we can do to stop them.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,449
    On the contrary, I think they should keep festivals and get rid of the other half of the problems for crashes and lost connections.
    Mandelbaum, 105 Champ; PeabodySherman, 100 LM, House of Mooters, Landroval
    Rembandor, 85 Champ, Penquanta Periannath, Laurelin

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by shadedarkheart View Post
    Everytime they have an update prior to some festival, we start to have issues trying to log on or play without crashing. It is obvious that the servers cannot handle all the people that play on a server at one time, hence the slow downs, etc. I see topics arout fishing not working, not being able to log on and so forth and so forth. My son and I have been kicked out of the Dwarrowdelf 3 times today. The weekend is the only time we can play together. Why not set up a single server for festival #### only? Perhaps it can only be accessed during the time of some festival or special event.

    Yes, festivals are supposed to bring about a sense of community in the online world, but instead it is doing something else. It is pissing people off because of all the disconnects and bugs that appear because the update/additions are rushed out the door. How about just keeping the Christmas/New year festival only to give people something to do and chuck the rest. Realistically, most of the stuff you get or win cant be used in the game anyway. I did say 'most' and not all, keep that in mind. How about some cosmetic armor/clothing that actually protects you or fireworks that can damage monsters.

    Create a consistent uptime server and you will have a consistent customer base.
    As Sapience has stated, you are wrong about the festival being at fault and like it or not, many of us enjoy the festivals. Sorry you're having issues, but ruining it for the rest of us will, in the end, ruin it for you as well. Festivals are a big part of why I play and if they went away, I'd play less and spend less. I believe others would do the same, as well. Less spending is less profit and less development will soon follow. Less LOTRO playing equals less LOTRO players which eventually means no LOTRO...

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    679
    Festivals are reason I come back to this game....

    (and new content) After 4-5 years, Festivals are reason for me to stop in, say hi. AND have good chance of seeing people who play even less then me.

    Now if they would add more festival content, I'd be very happy.
    Capcom Stalker...
    English is not my 1st Language... So shhhh!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload