We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I don't want to quit this game

But I may have no choice at this point. I just can't seem to figure out why it runs so bad for me. I decided to take a little break but playing Rift and Neverwinter with higher settings and running so well, it just frustrates me because I don't understand why I can't do the same in LOTRO. I used to be able to play on very high settings with a stable FPS of 70+. Then, I could only get that outside of Rohan, which honestly was fine for me. Now I'm getting low fps in all areas, including solo skirms where I used to get over 100fps. On top of that, it can be choppy at times. Wildermore is the worst and is unplayable.

What I am trying to understand, and hopefully fix, is 1)why this is only happening with this game and no others and 2)Why now, when before things ran great. My comp has not changed since I first started playing. It's not the greatest but was always more than enough.

Alienware m15x
    i7 2.8Ghz 6mb Cache
    8gb DDR3 at 1333mhz
    500gb SATAII 7,200rpm
    AMD Radeon HD 5850

Please, no comments about being ripped off from Alienware. I paid $200 for that through a company discount with Dell. Again, I know it's not the greatest comp and I can't run Ultra. But I always ran fine on high to mostly very high settings.

Now, I have AA off, dx10, frill disable, landscape and model distance short, and a host of other medium settings. I don't want to continue bringing the settings down because half the reason I love this game is the beauty of it. And, I've never had to bring them down before. My connection is stable at around 150down and 75up. Temps are good. I've also tried defragging and reinstalling completely with uninstall of Pando.

If anyone has any tips or advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Im not well versed in PC stuff but I'm just lost as to why the game performance has progressively gotten worse and it's only LOTRO affected. AS much as I am loving RIFT and Neverwinter, LOTRO feels like home and is the one I pay for. I don't want to leave for good.

Thank you in advance.

I have seen at least a dozen players post on the forums they cannot play Lotro without issues - even when they have very good PCs and can play any other game out there. So I am not sure it is just you. It seems the recent changes to the game were not optimized to work on all hardware.

I hope someone can give some advice, although it looks like you have tried a lot of things already.

BTW, I have a MX14. AW laptops are not bad - just heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Ragekiss View Post
    I have seen at least a dozen players post on the forums they cannot play Lotro without issues - even when they have very good PCs and can play any other game out there. So I am not sure it is just you. It seems the recent changes to the game were not optimized to work on all hardware.

I hope someone can give some advice, although it looks like you have tried a lot of things already.

BTW, I have a MX14. AW laptops are not bad - just heavy
    Yeah it can be really frustrating. Some people have insisted it's just my PC but I can't accept that if this is the only game that gives me trouble. Maybe it's a configuration or something but I don't know enough about PC's to know how I should proceed.

I agree about Alienware, I love mine. I just hate when people totally ignore everything else in my post and just make comments about how I paid too much and should just get another PC. Happens too often.

I don't get it either. While I have played LOTRO by far the most, I have also played Rift, WoW, and SWTOR and never had the slightest performance issue with the latter three. Not even a hint of any difficulty.

wanna get some silly questions over, don't take offense please.
    - updated your graphics drivers?
    - what OS? 32 / 64 bit.

is it just lotro recently? since an update, or since RoR?

what really is it. crashes? low FPS (what frame rate too)?

wildermore and new area's seem to be pushing the game too far. not sure if it's the engine having to much happening on screen, but I really don't think it's player side. I agree, I've had to butcher my PC since RoR because of these with no issue on other games. I'm also not a graphics nut (I'm fond of seeing pixles tbh lol) and VERY happy to play on medium, but going down to very low and worse, it's unplayable...

there is a lotro defrag tool. and I would suggest it, but it's not been updated since SoM and it's also not on the site anymore. I'm making a curiousity post about it. I think the game might need a defrag it'self :/
    [CENTER][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/bubushum/media/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png.html][IMG]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/bubushum/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

The only assistance I could offer is a comment on the graphics card. I had a 7870 a while back, and in between various crashing issues the framerate would be sporadic. Sometimes in Thorin's Gate - of all places - the FPS would just drop to twenty or so and only a log would fix it.

Now it could very well have been a dodgy card, but I also found that the Catalyst driver had a nasty habit of updating itself, and the current version tended to hate LOTRO more than the previous. In the end, I did a completely new system build and bought a GTX 670. No issues at all, smooth FPS in all areas.

Now, from what I know about laptops they can be a pain to upgrade; plus grabbing a new graphics card is an expense that none of us want. If you have the patience and the inclination, I'd check back through Catalyst and see if older versions make a difference. Could be that your gaps between drops happen to dovetail into releases of the new drivers.

If not, I really don't know what to suggest. Plus this was all in a desktop, so it might have nothing to do with current scenarios.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more use.

First of all, sorry you are experiencing these issues. Without knowing more about your situation, I'd guess at the heart of it is the fact that the 5850 is a four year old, low-to-middle end video card. The two main remedies I'd suggest in order are, 1) Compare to one other modern, stable computer game such as Starcraft 2, 2) further graphic settings changes, 3) a complete restore of your pc, 4) buying a more modern equivalent of your video card.

Step 1: While you were wise to compare LOTRO's performance to other MMO's, I'd also suggest installing another AAA pc title such as Starcraft 2 and test your system's performance on that. If you don't own SC2, you can download a free copy from blizzard and play as terrans on a free trial account on a limited amount of maps. SC2 is one of the most heavily optimized pc games (ie it can run on almost any modern system and Bliz has the programmers and QA to test and optimize 1000s of different pc configurations). My point here is to set your SC2 graphics on "high" and then play a 4-person game. If you get low fps (SC2 will even tell you in-game sometimes that your system is being over-taxed) then perhaps it is more a problem of deficient drivers or hardware on your system. If however SC2 on "high" settings runs at 50 fps or higher, then proceed to the next step....

Step 2: Further change LOTRO graphics settings -- here's a great guide: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-of-Importance I've personally found my frame-rates to increase 25-50% just by enabling Triple Buffering (it's at the very bottom of Graphics Settings) but I have a Nvidia Geforce 570 video card in my rig. If this doesn't work, then try the next....

Step 3: My first question: has your pc been factory-installed from scratch recently? In other words, did you install MS Windows when you set it up, or was everything pre-installed? The reason I ask is you may have unneeded bloat-ware and even unnecessary manufacturer's video card drivers that are not needed at best and at worst may be slowing down some games. So, as much as a pain as this can be, I'd recommend backing up all your important data, and then reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows from scratch. Then I'd only install Windows updates, driver updates, antivirus, then finally LOTRO. Be sure to only install your video drivers directly from AMD, not from your computer's driver disk (if it came from one). Here is the link if your operating system is Windows 7 64-bit: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx Also be sure that all your other drivers are up to date. For example, out of date sound drivers have caused many slow games and crashes over the years in many different pc games. Hopefully a fresh OS install, new drivers, and a minimal amount of software oeverhead will result in a faster LOTRO fps, but if not....

Step 4: I'd purchase a modern equivalent of the 5850. Here's an AMD version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202004 Perhaps even better, I'd switch over to Nvidia (just because of your particular issues, I'm video card agnostic overall). Here's great mid-range Nvidia card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127699

Good luck solving these issues, and feel free to PM me. I'm a hard-core pc gamer and pc enthusiast, and over the years I've done a number of complete hard drive wipes/OS restores to get LOTRO and other favorite pc games running their best on my home desktop. Eventually I'll get Windows 8 which has a nice "restore without deleting anything" feature, but that's for another thread and time.....
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

I had a couple of answers put together before it finally sunk home you were talking about a laptop, which throws almost everything I was going to suggest out f the window.

The mobility version of the 5850 is about as powerful as a 5750, and with that you should comfortably be playing at medium or better with a decent frame rate.

Unless the card is failing (and that seems unlikely as its just LOTRO), then all of the software ideas above (OS rebuild, clean out graphics drivers and do fresh install with up to date ones) might be good options.

I know it sounds stupid, but something that might be worth trying is to change the Direct X version in your options. It may have no effect whatsoever, but I saw you were using DX 10. Either switch back to DX 9, or if you are using Windows 7+ try DX 11 instead / as well. (5000 series AMD cards can use DX 11). My 5850 never really got on with LOTRO using DX 10, but works beautifully with either of the others.

Most of the other thoughts were overheating/cleaning/ventilation stuff, but none would be LOTRO specific.

By the way mr_toad, its funny how far graphics tech has gone. I know my 5850 would have been obsolete at the same age 10 years ago, but every time I look for an excuse to upgrade it, it simply shrugs and gets on with it. -- finally got around to trying the new Tomb Raider, Turned everything up to 11, ran the benchmarking tool, and got around 55fps. I'm stuck with it until I finally upgrade monitors, or it finally falls over.

The above posters go into great depth, but... try going into your settings (Options, first screen) and switch from directx10 down to directx9. Even though my system is more than capable of running directx10, directx9 runs SO MUCH better for LotRO. Try it - you can always switch it back if you see no difference. You'll see a great improvement, I bet.

I just noticed what everyone was talking about just recently like 2 hrs ago. I checked my network and it came up rosy. I have a year old machine i7-960 with 18G and a Ndivia GTX 460. I used to get 180FPS and now the client grinds to a slow crawl and I see things I haven't seen like trying to connect? Something has changed and its being noticed by a few players. If the game needs a reboot or we do I do not know. I notice Nimrodel needed a reboot I was wondering if the other servers do too?

Update video driver

Try updating your video driver. Several times now I've had my game performance suddenly drop and every time it was quickly remedied with an updated video driver.
    Darbius - Crickhollow

Ok, haven't been able to respond until now. Thanks for the replies! So a couple things regarding some of the posts above:

Quote Originally Posted by bohbashum View Post
    wanna get some silly questions over, don't take offense please.
    - updated your graphics drivers?
    - what OS? 32 / 64 bit.

is it just lotro recently? since an update, or since RoR?

what really is it. crashes? low FPS (what frame rate too)?

wildermore and new area's seem to be pushing the game too far. not sure if it's the engine having to much happening on screen, but I really don't think it's player side. I agree, I've had to butcher my PC since RoR because of these with no issue on other games. I'm also not a graphics nut (I'm fond of seeing pixles tbh lol) and VERY happy to play on medium, but going down to very low and worse, it's unplayable...

there is a lotro defrag tool. and I would suggest it, but it's not been updated since SoM and it's also not on the site anymore. I'm making a curiousity post about it. I think the game might need a defrag it'self :/

1. Drivers are up to date
    2. Windows 7 64
    3. I have tried dx9, dx10, dx11 and it's the same; no improvements
    4. It's only LOTRO. Every other game works beautifully. I noticed a drop when ROI came out, but got better. It got bad with Rohan/Wildermore but still playable. Now it's been horrible for the past month.
    4. No crashes, just horrible framerate. It's at it's worst in Wildermore but even in solo skirms it's down to 30 when i used to get over 100. In raids I can't get over 10fps.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_toad View Post

Step 1: While you were wise to compare LOTRO's performance to other MMO's, I'd also suggest installing another AAA pc title such as Starcraft 2 and test your system's performance on that. If you don't own SC2, you can download a free copy from blizzard and play as terrans on a free trial account on a limited amount of maps. SC2 is one of the most heavily optimized pc games (ie it can run on almost any modern system and Bliz has the programmers and QA to test and optimize 1000s of different pc configurations). My point here is to set your SC2 graphics on "high" and then play a 4-person game. If you get low fps (SC2 will even tell you in-game sometimes that your system is being over-taxed) then perhaps it is more a problem of deficient drivers or hardware on your system. If however SC2 on "high" settings runs at 50 fps or higher, then proceed to the next step....

Step 2: Further change LOTRO graphics settings -- here's a great guide: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-of-Importance I've personally found my frame-rates to increase 25-50% just by enabling Triple Buffering (it's at the very bottom of Graphics Settings) but I have a Nvidia Geforce 570 video card in my rig. If this doesn't work, then try the next....

Step 3: My first question: has your pc been factory-installed from scratch recently? In other words, did you install MS Windows when you set it up, or was everything pre-installed? The reason I ask is you may have unneeded bloat-ware and even unnecessary manufacturer's video card drivers that are not needed at best and at worst may be slowing down some games. So, as much as a pain as this can be, I'd recommend backing up all your important data, and then reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows from scratch. Then I'd only install Windows updates, driver updates, antivirus, then finally LOTRO. Be sure to only install your video drivers directly from AMD, not from your computer's driver disk (if it came from one). Here is the link if your operating system is Windows 7 64-bit: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx Also be sure that all your other drivers are up to date. For example, out of date sound drivers have caused many slow games and crashes over the years in many different pc games. Hopefully a fresh OS install, new drivers, and a minimal amount of software oeverhead will result in a faster LOTRO fps, but if not....

Step 4: I'd purchase a modern equivalent of the 5850. Here's an AMD version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202004 Perhaps even better, I'd switch over to Nvidia (just because of your particular issues, I'm video card agnostic overall). Here's great mid-range Nvidia card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127699

Good luck solving these issues, and feel free to PM me. I'm a hard-core pc gamer and pc enthusiast, and over the years I've done a number of complete hard drive wipes/OS restores to get LOTRO and other favorite pc games running their best on my home desktop. Eventually I'll get Windows 8 which has a nice "restore without deleting anything" feature, but that's for another thread and time.....
    I actually bought Starcraft 2 with this computer. I've always played that at max. And that's when I had the old card. This came with a nvidia 260m which I replaced with the AMD a year ago. I noticed an amazing increase in performance with the AMD. It is just a month ago this all started with LOTRO only.

I could try the re-install of the OS; but it seems so strange that I have to go through all that because only one game is giving me these issues. Given my incompetence with PC's, i'll have to be very careful when doing this lol

i am pretty sure that this is not a issue with the players cpu, as LOTS of people now are experiencing horrible lag issues where we never had any before. i was in a flight t2c a couple days ago that froze for about 15s straight and wiped us due to the lag. not just me, the ENTIRE raid was frozen, but not the enemy npcs. now to go along with horrible lag, i am unable to connect on my main toon, and if i do, it loses connection in about 5ms alowing me to only use the chat box, everything else is frozen till i lose connection.

the only way i could see it as an issue with users pc's is if they updated the requirements of the game, or made a change that does allow certain types of pc/pc hardware to run the game that in the past ran the game fine. Personally, i have been playing lotro with this pc for about a year, with absolutely no problem unless i turn on high graphics in raids and such, which is no big deal. now, im freezing and getting disconnected in the lowest possible settings. my internet is fine, i have no issues with anything else that requires internet.

i have to believe that there is something wrong with the servers at the moment, or a system connected to the servers. unfortunately, due to this strange bug, i am losing out on the last days of my subscription time which ends in this month ( idr when this month XD)

hopefully this problem with connecting to the servers doesnt last, but if it does, looks like im gona be playing some other games for awhile while i wait for my ability to log in again. hopefully this "downtime" will not subtract from what subscription time i have left. if i do lose a substantial amount of subscription time due to the inability to log in, i would probably be extremely leary about purchasing another subscription.

I think it started since RoR, and worst in Rohan and on warsteed, so it must be something wrong with the mount combat. Remember when Turbine reduce the aggro range of landscape mobs? They said people usually have 4-5 mobs chasing them around and that's not good for the server load. If a few mobs could do so much damage that they have to fix it, then imagine how bad a complicated thing like mount combat could do. Turbine also said mount combat is the hardest part of the game. I could understand this. LOTRO wasnt code for mount combat from the beginning, and for coding, write something from the beginning always easier than edit it. RoR release was held back i think because they had trouble making the mount combat work property, and finally, HAD to release new expansion even with imperfect mount combat. Because they spent so much time for mount combat, and yes, the new MOBA game too, they dont have resource left for raids. That's lead to the unquality raids this year.

We cant blame Turbine for risking with this new combat system. Remember since RoI, and specially before RoR, lots of threads on forums asking for mount combat. So even it could damage the game, I imagine some bosses told the devs: "Our customers want it. I dont care how you do, you MUST make it happend, or you're fire!" Imo, i love the warsteed only for the custom outfit. Fighting on it or not doesnt matter to me. But it is too late now. It's a wrong step. We chose the wrong boat, a boat with a hole on it. Now we're too far from the shore. Its too late to come back. We can only try to row it as far as we can, untill it sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolas View Post
    I had a couple of answers put together before it finally sunk home you were talking about a laptop, which throws almost everything I was going to suggest out f the window.

The mobility version of the 5850 is about as powerful as a 5750, and with that you should comfortably be playing at medium or better with a decent frame rate.

Unless the card is failing (and that seems unlikely as its just LOTRO), then all of the software ideas above (OS rebuild, clean out graphics drivers and do fresh install with up to date ones) might be good options.

I know it sounds stupid, but something that might be worth trying is to change the Direct X version in your options. It may have no effect whatsoever, but I saw you were using DX 10. Either switch back to DX 9, or if you are using Windows 7+ try DX 11 instead / as well. (5000 series AMD cards can use DX 11). My 5850 never really got on with LOTRO using DX 10, but works beautifully with either of the others.

Most of the other thoughts were overheating/cleaning/ventilation stuff, but none would be LOTRO specific.

By the way mr_toad, its funny how far graphics tech has gone. I know my 5850 would have been obsolete at the same age 10 years ago, but every time I look for an excuse to upgrade it, it simply shrugs and gets on with it. -- finally got around to trying the new Tomb Raider, Turned everything up to 11, ran the benchmarking tool, and got around 55fps. I'm stuck with it until I finally upgrade monitors, or it finally falls over.
    Thanks for pointing out that this is a laptop -- I read "GPU upgrade" and instantly assumed it was a desktop. My bad. But now, more than ever, I recommend doing a complete backup, hard drive format, and OS restore of the machine. The reason is that you went from Nvidia to AMD Radeon graphics cards on a laptop. That upgrade can be frought with peril especially if done improperly or if the old Nvidia drivers weren't completely uninstalled. And then you update the graphics card drivers (after the reformat and restore), do so directly from the amd website -- http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...b_win7-64.aspx this should be the link right to the correct drivers. Heck, just in case, I'd try updating to those drivers (in case you haven't yet) just to test before you did any big project of reformatting and reinstalling OS.

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticNightmare View Post
    Ok, haven't been able to respond until now. Thanks for the replies! So a couple things regarding some of the posts above:

1. Drivers are up to date
    2. Windows 7 64
    3. I have tried dx9, dx10, dx11 and it's the same; no improvements
    4. It's only LOTRO. Every other game works beautifully. I noticed a drop when ROI came out, but got better. It got bad with Rohan/Wildermore but still playable. Now it's been horrible for the past month.
    4. No crashes, just horrible framerate. It's at it's worst in Wildermore but even in solo skirms it's down to 30 when i used to get over 100. In raids I can't get over 10fps.

I actually bought Starcraft 2 with this computer. I've always played that at max. And that's when I had the old card. This came with a nvidia 260m which I replaced with the AMD a year ago. I noticed an amazing increase in performance with the AMD. It is just a month ago this all started with LOTRO only.

I could try the re-install of the OS; but it seems so strange that I have to go through all that because only one game is giving me these issues. Given my incompetence with PC's, i'll have to be very careful when doing this lol
    If you can run SC2 on high smoothly (especially with lots of units or in 4+ human player battles), all other factors being equal, you should at least be able to do solo and small group content on high graphics settings in this game smoothly.

If you're unsure about doing a "hard restore" on your laptop, get a knowledgeable friend or co-worker to help you. I'd hate for you to lose data or run into some snag. The main things to remember (off the top of my head) is to have all your data (docs, pics, videos, music, etc.) backed up in at least two separate locations and to have verified that backup several times. Also be sure you have your OS disks, NIC driver disks, and any key programs like MS Office, Adobe, etc., and the install codes for those programs. Then you'll insert your windows OS disk, get your pc to boot from that disk, and choose a couple options that end up deleting your current partition, formatting the hard drive, and then installing Windows 7 64 bit from scratch. After which, I'd recommend only installing the essential drivers (motherboard, nic, graphics, etc.) and Windows updates. Antivirus/security too. Then download a brand-new image of the LOTRO client (don't use a pre-copied one) and install LOTRO. If you're still having low fps issues, then I'd think there's not too much more you can do on your end. I'd definitely submit a bug report to LOTRO tech support and post on the tech support sub forums here too. After you've done with the LOTRO install, make sure you uninstall the download client (forget it's name) that can cause network slow downs.

If it's any consolation, many "power users" restore their main workstation at least once a year to maximize speed. It's easier for them because they'll have an "image" of their hard drive after a fresh install, so the process will go much faster.
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

I don't think a OS re-install is required these days to fix problems. LOTRO can run terrible for a lot of reasons, some reasons have no answer it seems.

For instance only several weeks ago LOTRO was running at < 10fps for me. (normally runs at 70fps - thats where i cap it under troubleshooting to reduce power usage) I had not done anything diffferent, but it was almost impossible to play. I tried to fix the problem, rebooted, changed graphics options, restart,restart.... updated drivers etc etc... nothing fixed it other then dropping to 800x600 which got me ~40fps. The next day or so there was a LOTRO update/patch and it all worked perfectly again. I still dont know what was wrong but i swear it was nothing at my end.

but if you want some advice or something else to check, have a look at the userpreference.ini under "documents\The Lord of the rings Online" folder. it has some tweaks that can fix performance issues... one to note is the annoying thing where LOTRO can force windows to drop back to basic theme rather than Aero. This can play havoc on the overlay of LOTRO in windowed mode especially when you run other overlays on the PC, you know those volume control programs that pop up on screen and things like msn messenger that can display over the top... the problem is i forget which setting it is exactly.... but i will quote mine below and highlight the lines i think that can make things better.

[Display]
    Resolution=2560x1600
    ForceFakeFullScreen=True
    SyncToRefresh=False
    Antialiasing=8x
    WindowedResolution=166725102
    TripleBuffering=False
    FullScreen=False
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=T rue
    RefreshRate=Auto
    FixedOutputScaling=Default

By all means compare it with yours and change the settings i have put in bold. it doesnt break anything but can fix some issues. anyhow hope you sort it out... to leave the game because it doesnt work isnt much of a happy ending...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001509dc/01006/signature.png]Laetitia[/charsig]

no problem with Ultra High settings

I have an AMD six core CPU, 8mg ram and an AMD 7770 video card. Running Windows 8 64-bit.

Game runs nicely for me with no lag whatsoever, I love the Ultra High settings.

Some of the things your describeing was happening to me. I couldnt go anywhere near Rohan (or Bree) without crashing, god awful lag/rubber banding and/or crashing. I was at my wits end!
    Im no expert but ever since i used this little work around for 32bit ive had no dramas, just wondering if this would help

http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...92#post6270792

(scroll up to the very first post)

I hope this helps *fingers crossed*

Swiftpaw changed my life forever! *lights candles and gives up offerings*
    Inside every old person is a young person wondering what just happened

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticNightmare View Post
    4. It's only LOTRO. Every other game works beautifully.
    This is normal : LOTRO is destroyed by several memory leaks, with a huge one introduced with RoR.
    On 32-bits OS, where Windows Memory Manager cannot handle memory like on 64-bits, it is worse (constant crashes in Rohan/Wildermore when VM is too high)

But Turbine doesn't seem able to fix these memory leaks, which is just unbelievable...

Quote Originally Posted by Harbut View Post
    Some of the things your describeing was happening to me. I couldnt go anywhere near Rohan (or Bree) without crashing, god awful lag/rubber banding and/or crashing. I was at my wits end!
    Im no expert but ever since i used this little work around for 32bit ive had no dramas, just wondering if this would help

http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...92#post6270792

(scroll up to the very first post)

I hope this helps *fingers crossed*

Swiftpaw changed my life forever! *lights candles and gives up offerings*
    Sadly the OP has clarified that they've got Win 7 64 bit, so that workaround shouldn't be of any use.

With all that has been said so far, It doesn't seem to be hardware. If it is only an issue with LOTRO, its most likely drivers or something gone awry in your LOTRO install (something getting corrupted during a patch probably). You've already tried reinstalling, so I'd start with drivers.

mr_toad has already covered most of the important stuff about how to organize things, and I'd reinforce the need to have everything backed up and everything you will need in place before you start. The first time with something like this is pretty worrying, but once you have done it, you tend to get pretty Blasé after a while.

All I'd do differently is start small and escalate if it doesn't work. It might take longer if you actually have to do a full OS reinstall, but if one of the earlier changes works you avoid the worst case scenario.

Don't use the updater. Manually download the new Drivers. Uninstall the old ones, reboot, install the new ones, reboot and then try them out. -- The link is in a post above, but check if Alienware has their own custom version to try instead/as well.

If that does not work, then uninstall LOTRO, go into the Program files (x64) folder, find the LOTRO folder and delete it. Reboot and install a clean copy. If you want to avoid Pando and the time sink of torrenting it, There were places you could download a copy of a newish client via ftp (or link LOTRO it to Steam and let them do the heavy lifting).

If it still doesn't work, then its full fresh install (the nuke it from orbit option) as mr_toad described.

If that doesn't work, ?????????

EDIT: I just realised I essentially echoed mr_toad's post above, just in a slightly different order. -- Cue very old Eric Morecambe gag --
    Last edited by Carolas; Aug 04 2013 at 07:51 AM.

I posted my experience here.

Unfortunately parts of the game are getting unplayable for me due to serious lag and freezes.

Nothing has changed in my hardware/internet setup since I first started playing a year ago, but since U11 things have got really bad for me.
    I've tried everything, and I'm not the only person experiencing these problems.

I have Win7 64-bit as well. I set the game to run in Compatibility mode. I think I set it to Win XP with service pack 3. I've never had ANY issues with the game. Maybe a crash here and there, but that's it. I pretty much always log in just fine. Framerate is good. Sometimes I have loading trouble but that's just my DSL being incredibly stupid. Though going into the settings file for the game and changing how much bandwidth the game uses helped that. I cannot remember where I saw that on the old forums, or I would link to it. Cause they said the game is set assuming that everyone has a c---py internet connection. But you can change it to use up more if you have a good and speedy connection. I just cannot remember how. Maybe someone else here can post how to do that.

Also I used to have a ATI video card. Those things just don't seem to be made to work very well with games. Something about not playing nice with OpenGL. I only use nVidia now. :P

Good luck! Hope you can get it sorted out.
    "As long as people believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Mini - 100 |Hunt - 100 |RK - 100 |LM - 100 |Cap - 92 |Champ - 100 |Burg - 100 |Beorn - 81

I would say update the video drivers as well, but AMD discontinued support for the 5000 and earlier cards. To upgrade the drivers would be to upgrade the video card. I had to do that as well. I had a hd3870 and it was dropped from support along with the 5000 and 4000 series cards. So I had to get a hd6870 ( best I could afford at the time ) to be able to update my drivers. I would also grab a little program ( ccleaner ) to clean up your computer and also to disable all programs that start with windows that you don't really need to be running. There are a few other little programs you can find to tweak your computer as well. Try techsupportalert.com for some free programs to do just that.

Ok I've spent half the day working on a lot of your suggestions. However......I can't log in to test it out now!! lol I seem to be one of those affected with the stuck "pre reqs" launcher issue.

Quote Originally Posted by soltasword View Post
    I would say update the video drivers as well, but AMD discontinued support for the 5000 and earlier cards. To upgrade the drivers would be to upgrade the video card. I had to do that as well. I had a hd3870 and it was dropped from support along with the 5000 and 4000 series cards. So I had to get a hd6870 ( best I could afford at the time ) to be able to update my drivers. I would also grab a little program ( ccleaner ) to clean up your computer and also to disable all programs that start with windows that you don't really need to be running. There are a few other little programs you can find to tweak your computer as well. Try techsupportalert.com for some free programs to do just that.
    Big no on the drivers. They dropped 2000,3000,4000 support to quarterly (legacy?) around a year ago, but HD 5000 and up are still supported as of current (13.4) and Beta (13.8) drivers.

I'm torn about using sweeper software these days. At one point it was pretty much required on changing drivers. Now as the drivers are better, it less necessary as long as you are staying within one company (AMD-->AMD). That said its worth doing because of the problems. Its just a case of being careful what you delete. (Running it in safe mode is also the usual suggestion).

EDIT: ouch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast