We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Firefern's ABC Converter Returns! (Public BETA)

Many people in the LOTRO music community have come to rely on Firefern's excellent ABC Converter, and have been on the edge of their seats during this unfortunate outage.

I am proud to announce that I now have it up and running - and publicly accessible!

The server address is http://firefern.rathinosk.com

The ABC Converter is currently housed on a temporary server that I can monitor fairly closely. It's a bit unstable and even a little 'crash-y' at times, but when I notice it has down, I try to get it back up as soon as possible. Each time the server restarts, data will need to be re-cached, so please don't keep clicking if a particular page is kind of slow to load the first time.

You should be able to log in with your account name and password from before, and all of your data from the old server should be intact. There is no password reset or recovery system, so if you've forgotten your password, the best I can probably do is delete your old account so you can keep your username.

My email address can be found on the footer of the website, so please be sure to email me or send me a PM here if you find any issues. NOTE: I am NOT accepting feature requests at this time as I am currently trying to make it stable.

Cheers!
    Rath

Bug Fixes and (Minor) updates:

• Modified the song listings to include a full ISO-style 'last modified on' date, gone is the truncated month and day.
    • Now that Digero has updated his player, it was safe to add support for the +pppp+ and +ffff+ dynamics.
      (the extra dynamics have been supported in-game for years, just never properly documented)
    • Fixed a few minor code errors that generated warnings on the server console.
    • Fixed a minor memory leak that was causing intermittent crashes, still looking for a few more.
    • Fixed a configuration error that caused a non-fatal crash when you clicked the "LOTRO ABC Zip Archive" button - thanks for spotting that Orladan!
    • The site now allows *new* users as well.
    • Changed some code that was causing cowbell parts to be blank in certain circumstances.
    • Added additional GS drum names (Standard Kit only).
    • Fixed variable scoping error that caused new user account creation to fail.
    • Updated the monitoring scripts to catch a few more errors and properly restart the server, and do it more gracefully.

Known Bugs:
    • The "Get All Marked ABCs" feature is broken and I have not quite figured out why...
    • There is still a nasty memory leak somewhere that *will* crash the server when under heavy use.
      (The server will auto-magically bounce back up, but it's still a problem.)
      (NOTE: Mirar thinks this existed in his original code, but his server had 8GB of RAM!)
    • Some MIDI files can cause the midi-processing functions to use significant amounts of CPU and may freeze the entire server during processing.
    Last edited by Rathinosk; Sep 14 2015 at 11:17 AM.
    Rathinosk (Champion) • Rathlaer (Minstrel) • Rathdhae (Burglar) • Rathveleg (Warden)
    Rathgash (Stalker) • Rathlhingril (Weaver) • Rathurzu (Warleader)
    Officer of the Runic Knights, Transcriber for the Runic Knights Orchestra (RKO)

Thank You

EDIT: Ooops, sorry, think I broke it!
    Last edited by Keli; Aug 03 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Heh, you didn't break it - Tchaikovsky did.

It looks like someone's midi file had a few too many tempo changes (641!?) and it hung the server. I restarted it though and it should be running again.
    Rathinosk (Champion) • Rathlaer (Minstrel) • Rathdhae (Burglar) • Rathveleg (Warden)

641 - hahahaha
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

Red face

*CHEERS*

You are a star , Rathinosk...I am on my account page ...all my music, all my work ...thank you so much for doing this , thank you from the heart
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

Just to add an additional note here - the converter will now generate the full range of supported LOTRO dynamics, including +pppp+ (very quiet) and +ffff+ (very loud). This will generate errors in Digero's ABC Player if you have not upgraded to the latest version - 1.3.0.

The additional dynamics have been supported in-game for years, but apparently few people noticed.

You should really get the upgrade, it also includes a new Soundfont bank that covers pibgorn and allows you to solo a single part for testing.

Get ABC Player Version 1.3.0 at http://lotro.acasylum.com/abcplayer/

Will the new user button be added back soon? I got some kinmates that want to try out the program but can't join.
    [size=3][font=papyrus][color=#00FF99]Tessariel Aerlinn of Landroval[/color]
    [color=#33CC99]Elven Minstrel of Rivendell[/color]
    [url=http://www.sonsofnumenor.com/portal/]Member of Sons of Numenor[/url][/size][/font]

Quote Originally Posted by Tallon617 View Post
    Will the new user button be added back soon? I got some kinmates that want to try out the program but can't join.
    To be honest, I hadn't tried the new user button and didn't realize it was broken.

I will look into that right now.

EDIT: Ok, found where new users were disabled - it should be working now.

Also, I apologize to those that got emails from me with a ridiculous delay - it looks like my upstream mail host flaked out and didn't transfer my outbound email from the past few days until just a few minutes ago.
    Last edited by Rathinosk; Aug 05 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Thank you very much for repairing Firefern's ABC converter!

I can continue converting music again!

*cheers*
    "O! I hear the tiny horns of enchanted leprechauns and the padded feet of many gnomes a-coming!" JRR Tolkien.
    Proud member of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Bobbignome Catering; because you're worth it!

I'm having trouble trying to access it as a new user. After entering in my new user information it too me to the screen with my chosen user name filled in the login form, but doesn't recognize the password I had chosen. It never actually said whether filling in the new user form successfully registered me or not.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

I was going to ask the same question about new users as I went to use it the other day and couldn't find the option. Now it's just taking an age to load each page. I'm also getting the error with trying to log in after filling in the new user information.
    [URL=http://w11.zetaboards.com/No_Whole_Bard/index/][IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/avalonmists3/No%20Whole%20Bard/Lass_sig2.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [color=#58732A]~The wind is full of a thousand voices~[/color]

OK, it looks like even though the new user page comes up, it's not actually saving the new user information for some reason. Very weird to say the least.

I'll be working on this today.

Ok, that one was not fun to track down, but I think I've got it licked.

New users should be able to create accounts and log in now.
    Last edited by Rathinosk; Aug 06 2013 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathinosk View Post
    • Now that Digero has updated his player, it was safe to add support for the +pppp+ and +ffff+ dynamics.
      (the extra dynamics have been supported in-game for years, just never properly documented)

Thanks for your work, but I have to ask. If this has been functioning "for years" who knew about it and why didn't they tell anyone? Prominent and skilled musicians from the LOTRO community such as Makalaure, Phedelene, Beorbrand, Astleigh, and Keli all said to me that they never knew this. Neither did I or my husband. I don't recall seeing it discussed in this forum ever. It doesn't really matter if ABC player supported it or not, I could have used this information to improve my music. If I had figured this out, I certainly would have made sure everyone I know knew about it.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    [/I][/LIST]
    Thanks for your work, but I have to ask. If this has been functioning "for years" who knew about it and why didn't they tell anyone? Prominent and skilled musicians from the LOTRO community such as Makalaure, Phedelene, Beorbrand, Astleigh, and Keli all said to me that they never knew this. Neither did I or my husband. I don't recall seeing it discussed in this forum ever. It doesn't really matter if ABC player supported it or not, I could have used this information to improve my music. If I had figured this out, I certainly would have made sure everyone I know knew about it.

A question better directed at WB/Turbine, rather than Rathinosk. What I see is Rathinosk trying his utmost to insure that his improvements and upgrades to Firefern's Converter takes into account all the current "bells and whistles" of the LotRO Music System (limited as they are, to be sure).

It would be welcome for WB/Turbine to acknowledge and name what LotRO employee is "In Charge" (Lead) for the LotRO music system and have them come here and actively engage us in discussions of player desired improvements to the Music System (lest we be saddled with another unwanted "PigHorn" style instrument addition), who could also keep us informed of Music System program Updates, etc., and it would be nice to see That "named" Turbine LotRO Music System Lead Developer, having a Stickied/Pinned section up top for just that purpose in the music Forums here, and actively engaged in some discussion with the Musical Community.

A big thanks from me to Rathinosk for his efforts in improving Firefern's Converter (even though I don't use all that often myself), as I know quite a few folk who rely on the program and would be lost without it. Glad to hear you have it back up and running, and look forward to checking out your improvements in the near future.
    [COLOR=#00ffff]Keptwise Wandering[/COLOR] of the Fallohides
    [COLOR=#ffd700]Director of The Eriador Music Society[/COLOR] - [COLOR=#ffd700][B]Elendilmir & Landroval[/B][/COLOR]
    [U][URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/EriadorMusicSociety/index/"][COLOR=#40e0d0]http://s1.zetaboards.com/EriadorMusicSociety/index/[/COLOR][/URL][/U] - [B]The official Home of EMS[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Kept View Post
    A question better directed at WB/Turbine, rather than Rathinosk.
    No, it would not be better directed at Turbine because I'm wondering why players who knew about this change didn't tell the community at large.

I know why Turbine didn't. They always leave things out of their patch notes and the music system clearly is unimportant to them. I would be very much surprised if there was anyone at Turbine whose job description specifically involved working on the music system.

But especially since we get so little support from Turbine we as a community of musically minded folk should be helping each other. If there are people who have known about this "for years" I want to know why they didn't make that knowledge public. Call me curious. I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone, let alone Rathinosk. This is a question for anyone who knew about this change.

And, out of curiosity, did you know about it, Kept?

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    No, it would not be better directed at Turbine because I'm wondering why players who knew about this change didn't tell the community at large.

I know why Turbine didn't. They always leave things out of their patch notes and the music system clearly is unimportant to them. I would be very much surprised if there was anyone at Turbine whose job description specifically involved working on the music system.

But especially since we get so little support from Turbine we as a community of musically minded folk should be helping each other. If there are people who have known about this "for years" I want to know why they didn't make that knowledge public. Call me curious. I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone, let alone Rathinosk. This is a question for anyone who knew about this change.

And, out of curiosity, did you know about it, Kept?
    I stand by my original comment that your ire should be directed at Turbine rather than your fellow players. Someone posted a tid-bit about the music system you (and some others) missed. Now you know, and can use it.

I myself learned something new in this thread regarding Digero updating his ABC Player program to support the full ABC volume Dynamics...I learned something, took steps to update my copy of his program and moved on and will use it (gladly) in pre-testing...no harm, no foul, no need to question why *others* didn't make me (or the Musical community at large) aware of this before then.

Let it go, instead of turning a thread about Beta testing of Rathinosk's improvements to Firefern's Converter into........something else.

If you still have an issue with this subject, start a thread directed at Turbine, rather than your fellow players.

Myself and many members of EMS are always happy to share what we've learned (That why we originally created EMS...as a workshop to share and pool our knowledge and what we have and *will* learn), with those who are friendly to us. Sometime we take the initiative to post it, sometimes we post that information after an ingame question or PM inquiry, but to my knowledge, none of us, in the Musical Community, have the *obligation* to make sure everyone is informed about every little detail and inter-program workings of the the LotRO Music System.

We can't......That's Turbine's job (and obligation!), as they are the ones who *DO* know *all* the inter-workings of *their* programming...which they aren't doing and won't, unless enough players make that demand of *Turbine*.
    Last edited by Kept; Aug 07 2013 at 04:02 PM.
    [COLOR=#ffd700]Director of The Eriador Music Society[/COLOR] - [COLOR=#ffd700][B]Elendilmir & Landroval[/B][/COLOR]
    [U][URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/EriadorMusicSociety/index/"][COLOR=#40e0d0]http://s1.zetaboards.com/EriadorMusicSociety/index/[/COLOR][/URL][/U] - [B]The official Home of EMS[/B]

To be honest, I found out about +pppp+ from an band-mate who, in turn, heard about it from someone else. They did NOT know about +ffff+ at the time (but I did bring it to their attention when I later discovered it). When I found out about this and had a look at the posted ABC notation reference that was posted on the LOTRO lorebook, I realized the lorebook article was not only incomplete, but factually incorrect.

I decided to take a deep dive into LOTRO's implementation of ABC notation and (re)discovered a lot of limitations and capabilities that were supported. Little tidbits like the absolute minimum note duration and extensive support for tuplets. None of this was particularly well documented in the lorebook, but much of it was already supported in Digero's player & converter. Someone updated the lorebook article at some point (maybe it was me, I don't remember) with mention of +pppp+ and +ffff+, but I'm guessing no one noticed before the lorebook was taken down.

I would *love* to see a full workup of the supported ABC features, including system limitations. Think about it, do we even know how many players can perform from a single ABC file? Digero's player stops at 15 because of limitations on how he reproduces the audio. The game does not have that limitation and for all we know it could support a 24 piece orchestra - has anyone ever tried it?

I would love it if Turbine sent me the source code for their ABC parser and instrument playback routines... but I doubt that's going to happen. (Turbine, if you're reading this, I *will* sign an NDA if you let me sift through that code)

That said, I intend to continue improving the stability and quality of Firefern's ABC Converter. I am already taking notes and keeping an eye to the future, working toward "Rathinosk's ABC Converter" (or whatever I'll call it) that will include some huge improvements to the whole process.

EDIT: I did find this thread that specifically mentions +ffff+, from March 1, 2011.
    Last edited by Rathinosk; Aug 07 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Red face

*waves and smiles*

I still remember when I was first told of the Firefern Converter and when I made my first tune - I was made aware of its presence by a friend in game - The converter was made by a lovely hobbit of Laurelin called Firefern when the server was still based in Europe so this is why maybe you missed the infos about it *smiles* but I know myself and others have often mentioned it here on these forums since we moved over in 2011. Firefern never posted here about the site, this is probably also why you did not get to know about it, but there is this from June 2011 :

http://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topi...abc-converter/

If you do a little search in Google for LOTRO ABC music converter this link above is the first one that comes up. I also know many friends from Landroval use this converter

What is important now is that the site is back up and running *cheers* and we should be all very happy about this , I know I am , so thank you Rathinosk
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

Unable to connect at all.

Been trying all day, even tried simple ping/pathping/tracert - it's as if the site isn't there.

C:\>tracert www.firefern.rklotro.com
    Unable to resolve target system name www.firefern.rklotro.com.

Tried flushdns, tried new dns server - nada

Im in the UK

*Sad Panda*

Edit: Used the playmo.tv dns servers as a temporary fix - it works now, but unless a fellow brit can confirm it works for him/her - it looks like UK DNS servers arent aware of your site
    Last edited by SajonOnion; Aug 07 2013 at 07:45 PM.

I would *love* to see a full workup of the supported ABC features, including system limitations.
    For The LotRO Music System? Me too! (Get busy, Turbine! )

Think about it, do we even know how many players can perform from a single ABC file? Digero's player stops at 15 because of limitations on how he reproduces the audio. The game does not have that limitation and for all we know it could support a 24 piece orchestra - has anyone ever tried it?
    Yep, limited in number to a full Raid (24 players). I *think* remember reading about 1 or 2 LotRO Music groups that got together and accomplished this, though I can't remember if they said it was 24 *unique* individual instrument part (I think there may have been some doubled parts involved. (tried a quick search, but didn't find anything, but I could swear there was at least one group of folks on another server that pulled it off at least once.). Not sure how it might sound here lately with the lag issues.

Heck, I remember the early days when all we could do was peck-out a song tune on our computer keyboards, before they ever introduced the ingame ABC system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEcOvzZys

I also made my first duet piece *before* they introduced the Band "sync" command. I added common notes to the beginning of each part and we'd count down in voice to each start our parts.....you could tell from the common notes in the beginning whether it was going to work or not. Sometimes took several tries.

Ah! Those were the days, walking 7 miles to music school everyday through 3 feet of snow, uphill, both ways! Hehe
    Last edited by Kept; Aug 07 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SajonOnion View Post
    C:\>tracert www.firefern.rklotro.com
    Unable to resolve target system name www.firefern.rklotro.com.
    You are actually trying to connect to the wrong server address there - the correct address is firefern.rklotro.com. There is no "www." in the URL at all -the host name is firefern, and the domain is rklotro.com.

Now, that being said, it still does crash every once and a while. Although I have scripts that monitor the server and reboot it when it appears to be down, sometimes even the scripts don't catch on right away and the server will stay down until I come along and reboot it.

I'm working on that.

Cheers,
    Rath

Quick Note: The site has seen visitors from the US, Canada, UK (England & Scotland so far), Australia, Isle of Man, Germany, France, Norway, Netherlands, Turkey and Singapore! Welcome everyone from around the world!
    Last edited by Rathinosk; Aug 07 2013 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks for sorting out the issue for new users Rathinosk! Didn't notice the site take an age to load this time either
    [URL=http://w11.zetaboards.com/No_Whole_Bard/index/][IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/avalonmists3/No%20Whole%20Bard/Lass_sig2.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [color=#58732A]~The wind is full of a thousand voices~[/color]

Thank you Rathinosk for continuing with the music converter!

I just love playing around with it and even though I haven't been using it for very long I was quite sad to see it had gone missing.

So thank you for all the effort you put into this and make it possible for people like myself (Who dont know much about music and ABC) to enjoy the ABC system!

*Cheers for the Ratishnok ABC converter*

Ps. Sorry I made your server restart a number of times!

You are actually trying to connect to the wrong server address there - the correct address is firefern.rklotro.com. There is no "www." in the URL at all -the host name is firefern, and the domain is rklotro.com.

Now, that being said, it still does crash every once and a while. Although I have scripts that monitor the server and reboot it when it appears to be down, sometimes even the scripts don't catch on right away and the server will stay down until I come along and reboot it.

I'm working on that.
    Ah, I had already tried several permutations of writing the address in case of possible typo on your part on the thread I found the new address - the www just happens to be the one I pasted, but as I can now reach the site from my usual DNS routing, I suspect the server was down, and you came back to kick it...

Many many thanks for bringing this back Rathinosk - like many others, I was lost without it.

If you have any alts on Silverlode or Landroval, do send me a pm with the name of one so I can send you some gold as a token of my appreciation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast