We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Adding second voice in the middle of a song.

I'm currently working on transcribing a song from sheet music to abc. The song introduces a second voice (instrument), in the same key and clef as the first, at about the 13th stave. I've tried everything I can think of to start the second voice at the right time short of adding 12 staves of rests. Unfortunately, everything I try doesn't work and the second voice wants to play at the beginning of the song, skip somewhere around the middle (depending on what I'm trying), and finish off the last part. I've tried tying the two staves together with brackets [] to be played by different instruments, braces {} to be played on the same instrument like on a piano, and parentheses () to place both sets on the same staff, and using neither, adding either %%score or %%staves at the beginning and labeling the first thirteen staves [V:1], adding either %%score or %%staves after the twelfth staff and labeling the following staves accordingly and these don't work either. The best I have come up with is to add the duet as a second song on the same file.
    Does anybody know how to make a second voice begin partway through the song without adding several staffs of rests? Or, failing that, a function that plays the first and second song on a file continuously without interruption or having to manually begin the second song?

Are you going sheet music to midi to abc? If you are... maybe just use a midi editing software to grab the part you want and move it? It's late and I'm tired but that's the first idea that came to me. Maybe I'm missing something...

If you have the midi and don't have or know how to edit it, I can do it for you and send it back.

No, I'm just using Easy ABC to write it out. So far, the best I can come up with is to add rests to the second voice until it come in. It works, but that's twelve lines of rests. I'd prefer to not waste a bunch of space in the tune body with useless notation.

Quote Originally Posted by OkamiKage_GinGetsu View Post
    No, I'm just using Easy ABC to write it out. So far, the best I can come up with is to add rests to the second voice until it come in. It works, but that's twelve lines of rests. I'd prefer to not waste a bunch of space in the tune body with useless notation.
    I believe that is the only way you can achieve the desired results. I myself know very little about how the system in lotro works using .abc's, but I have heard time and time again that it is not a complete .abc format rather a simplified version that the game uses. If the song works fine, I wouldn't worry about the 12 lines of rests as I have many songs that go well beyond that.

Fincin of Landroval
    Level 100 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandmember,* Transciber, Officer
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

Quote Originally Posted by OkamiKage_GinGetsu View Post
    So far, the best I can come up with is to add rests to the second voice until it come in. It works, but that's twelve lines of rests. I'd prefer to not waste a bunch of space in the tune body with useless notation.
    That's basically the only way to do it. Now, you can give measure of rest, instead of beats of rests, by capitalizing the rest. For example:
    z4|z4|z4| is the same as
    Z3 presuming you set it to have four beats in a measure.
    However, having a measure bar makes some sort of difference in LOTRO. I'm not sure what, but Z3 Z3 is not the same as Z3 | Z3, if I remember correctly (sorry, it's been a long time). So the best way to get every part to sync up is to make sure all the measure bars are the same -- just put in 12 lines of rests. Or experiment with Z instead. Let us know what works!
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.