We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Just wondering...

...when you'll make the Mac Client work properly? I can play many MMOs with my graphics pushed to ultra and I never have a single issue. I play LOTRO And it crashes as soon as I mount and go for a gallop in Rohan. I stopped paying to play and went to another game for a while because of this nonsense, giving you guys time to sort this out. It hasn't happened and I have to wonder why you're ignoring a segment of the gamer-sphere that would love to play the game natively without 80 dollar programs to make up for the fact that you want to sit on your laurels and just attract PC gamers alone. The fact is I can play on Windows and it doesn't look anywhere NEAR as good on my computer as when I play Mac Client. I have a powerful Apple and I'd like to be able to use it on a game I love, and be treated like the 2 plus years I was a VIP mattered.

OpenGL is easier to program and is better looking than DirectX. It's the programming for graphics that saved HALO and made Bill Gates have a stiffy to steal it from Steve Jobs. Don't believe me? Look it up. I find it hard(read that as impossible) to believe you can't find people experienced enough to code in OpenGL for you and make things work after Blizzard swept the deck of their programming department back in September of 2012, and all of their programmers are versed in both DirectX and OpenGL. This seems to me to be a callous lack of regard for the players whom you might attract, or those you believe will stay because of WINE or some other emulator like BootCamp. I've already had a 5 month vacation from LOTRO and I don't mind another 12 tending to my Real Life garden. But i'd MUCH prefer playing the game to an extended vacation.

Come on guys...where's your pride?

Honestly, it probably comes down to money. They're not going to make money from investing in OpenGL over DirectX, especially not at this point in the game. If your only comparison for why they should do this is a company that can lose several million subscribers in a few months and still make oodles of money more than Turbine does, well... that sentence should show you exactly how foolish that line of thinking is.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Maegilmir View Post
    ...when you'll make the Mac Client work properly?
    Turbine began on a high note. Followed by too much silence. The Mac client is no longer in beta, but it sure looks like a beta product to me. I can see only minor improvements compared to the pre-release beta-testing period in August last year. The client launched officially (as a beta product) in November, and received only one update (as far as I can remember) in March this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Maegilmir View Post
    This seems to me to be a callous lack of regard for the players whom you might attract, or those you believe will stay because of WINE or some other emulator like BootCamp.
    Boot Camp is not an emulator (nor is WINE). Just wanted to set that straight

I get a nagging impression of Turbine having launched the Mac client to reel in Mac gamers. While forgetting to maintain the client (maybe the client was not even made by Turbine, but on contract - the result of an outsourced product that in the end maybe became too expensive and complicated to maintain - I don't know).

I still have hope and regularly fire up the Mac client, but I cannot rely on it. The crashes are too frequent (having a high-end Mac Pro with enough power to maintain the International Space Station just isn't going to cut it unless Turbine upgrades the client to a 64-bit product). I crash everywhere. The usual suspects (Rohan, Bree, entering/exiting instances/buildings) are sure hits. But the crashes happen randomly - for example when all I do is stand in a field doing some relaxed farming for an hours time.

Nowadays I spend most of my LotRO time in Windows. There. I said it. Windows. Via Boot Camp. This is total win. No crashes ever. The result is quite good when I play the Windows client via CrossOver too (feel free to try this easy-to-use WINE based solution for yourself - you can test Crossover for seven days without having to pay for the program).

Just a reminder: Chances are that Turbine is more eager to look into Mac client related issues if you submit bug reports. I do this on most occasions when I run into trouble myself, but the more, the merrier... I'm quite certain that they'll listen if enough of us are specific about what kind of issues we're facing here. Mac gamers might be a minority, but when Turbine finally has given us a Mac client, it should be in their interest to improve the product, not just close their eyes and hope that in the end, we'll all do as I've done: Gone back to Windows

The Windows Client has just as many issues with "crashing" as does the Mac Client.

I run both on my Mac -- the PC client via CrossOver.

Quite frankly, I find that using the default settings on the Mac Client give superior graphics performance compared to the PC Client in Ultra. I realize that much of that is a WINE issue, as I don't run native windows via Bootcamp.

The PC Client supports OpenGL as does the Mac Client... in fact, OpenGl was available in the PC Client before the Mac Client was released in the RoR beta.

The issues in both cases are apparently the same. Slowly but surely Turbine is finding and fixing them. 11.3 is expected to address a whole bunch more. In the past several months, (remember that extend Valentine's day downtime) Turbine has made some significant hardware and software changes at the server level. Included in this was some seriously extensive and heavy-duty server instrumentation... which has apparently specifically identified quite a few of the problem areas. We'll see when 11.3 goes up on Bullroarer.

Turbine acquired new high-profile engineering management in October of 2012 -- six months later is about the right time-frame to begin seeing the results of those new-hires.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    The Windows Client has just as many issues with "crashing" as does the Mac Client.
    Erm... this may be your experience, but mine differ I'd just like to specify that there seems to be a difference between running the Windows on Windows and running it via CrossOver. The Mac client crashes, as many of us know by now. The Windows client, when running via CrossOver on OSX, also tends to crash, but not as much as the native Mac client. But over in Windows (7), I do not experience any crashes. At all. It does not matter what I do in-game, for how long I'm logged in, whether I venture into graphically challenged areas such as Bree revamped or Rohan. Under Windows 7, I have yet not experienced a single LotRO crash. Maybe I've just been lucky...

Anyway, because of this, I spend maybe some 80% of my LotRO time in Windows (since February/March or thereabouts, when I got tired with the frequent Mac client crashes). Graphics settings do not seem to matter much when it comes to the Mac client - eventually the crashes show up, no matter how low I adjust the settings.

However... this has a good deal of potential win:

11.3 is expected to address a whole bunch more.
    and

Turbine acquired new high-profile engineering management in October of 2012 -- six months later is about the right time-frame to begin seeing the results of those new-hires.
    Patience is a virtue (both in-game and in real life), so it's best to keep an optimistic outlook on these issues, and then we'll see if some improvements are heading our way eventually

Meanwhile, somewhat off topic: The new forums look rather nice. More minimalistic, which is good in a Mac kind of way

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Honestly, it probably comes down to money. They're not going to make money from investing in OpenGL over DirectX, especially not at this point in the game. If your only comparison for why they should do this is a company that can lose several million subscribers in a few months and still make oodles of money more than Turbine does, well... that sentence should show you exactly how foolish that line of thinking is.
    False equivocation...still alive and well in the common internet troll. Bravo, but you still didn't state any facts, only imputed meaning while removing what I was indicating in the text.

Try harder next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Greymatter View Post

Meanwhile, somewhat off topic: The new forums look rather nice. More minimalistic, which is good in a Mac kind of way
    I miss the old rustic themes...