We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Promise - Part 3

...I will stay its course and see it through, to whatever end may come...

Finally, we came to the path leading to the homesteads. The day was nearing its end, but there was much yet to be done.

...it was time to regather the things I had packed away upon my return home two months before, perhaps for one last time...

"Be patient, girl," I soothed Dandi. "One more night, and we are off again."

The landscape in which we live is, in many ways, mirrored by the landscape of our hearts. All things are connected, and the power we have within ourselves to effect or not effect change in our surroundings simply cannot be overstated.

For every terror that lurks somewhere in the deep places of the world, there also lies a fear deep in the hearts of one or many of us that keeps us from fighting it. For every evil that wages war upon the Free Peoples, there is a shadow of doubt that has shrouded the heart of one or many that keeps them still and safe.

By conquering those terrors, we not only make the world safer for others, but we also reclaim a small piece of ourselves that had been lost to us. Our hearts are that much more our own, and we take a small step closer toward becoming who we were meant to be.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:07 AM.

Currently running The Spirit Gauntlet, during which no fate is unimaginable...

'Legendary' Items - Tips, Tricks, and a Guide to the 'Grind' - a Legendary Items guide! (And a new Imbuing guide! and Essence guide!)

The Life and Times of Kaleigh Starshine: Curing insomnia, one reader at a time, and a proud resident of The Cottage of Pen and Play

2. Promise - Part 4

...this is the promise given to each one of us at the dawn of each day. What we do with each day is left to us...

...the time to open the door is now...
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:15 AM.

'Legendary' Items - Tips, Tricks, and a Guide to the 'Grind' - a Legendary Items guide! (And a new Imbuing guide! and Essence guide!)

The Life and Times of Kaleigh Starshine: Curing insomnia, one reader at a time, and a proud resident of The Cottage of Pen and Play

Fantastic Tale!!! I really enjoy the narration of the story. Can't wait for more. Kudos to Kaleigh!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Geezer58 View Post
    Fantastic Tale!!! I really enjoy the narration of the story. Can't wait for more. Kudos to Kaleigh!
    Thanks so much! More is to come!

5. Harbinger

Harbinger

I gathered my leathers and the Scouting implements I had put away upon my return in the Spring for the journey to come.

I decided it best to bring all of my maps with us, for we did not know where we would be sent, nor what we might find on the road. I folded them together as best I could and tucked them away in my pack in a safe place.

I tossed my stickers on the bed, and everything else I had gathered, packing things away and bundling them together for the trail. I then brought my packs to the front of the house, setting them near the door to let Dandi have one more night's peace.

Having finished my preparations for our journey, I settled down to my letters and a note for any who might come by while I was away...
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:15 AM.

6. Harbinger - Part 2

I went out and tacked my note to the door as the day was coming to its end.

With the challenges that were sure to come on the road, I decided to turn in early and get as much rest as I could while I was able. Sleep claimed me...

...we had taken every path but one, the one that lay before us now. Deverell pressed herself against part of the archway that held the portal...

"We have nowhere else to go, Kaleigh. It will find us at any moment. We are done for," she despaired.

My vision was clouded by pain, by the gauntlet we had run to this point. I closed my eyes to will it away...

...yet it still loomed before us when I opened them again. I saw stars. I saw a place we could not allow ourselves to go...
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:17 AM.

7. Harbinger - Part 3

"Not yet," I denied her. "Just let me catch my breath. We will think of something."

...I staggered, trying to keep my feet and avoid the ground swelling up to meet us...

"It has found us already," she said softly. "There is nothing to be done."

...her words pierced through my denial as an arrow alight with flame, and its fire caught within me. Its heat consumed me, turning hope into ash, causing me to twist into a fury...

...the portal came into view once again...

"No! We have not come this far to end this way!" I screamed at the gateway and any who might try to defy me...

"Kaleigh, it is over. Let us spend these last moments in peace," she whispered, paralyzed by her acceptance....

...I stopped and peered into the portal, trying to pierce the uncertainty that swirled within...

[center][center]

...I crept closer, but it was no use....

"Deverell! We need to find another way! I promise I will not lead us astray again if you will help," I bargained with her...

...she could not move save to reach feebly for me. Hers was a healer's touch even still...

"We did our best. We gave our very best," she whispered, looking at me through her tears...
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:18 AM.

8. Harbinger - Part 4

...the last of my strength left me, and I sunk to my knees in despair...

"We were so close. So close," I whispered to her. We clung to each other for a moment...

...she nodded weakly, then glanced over my shoulder to the gateway beyond...

"But there is no retreat."

...she looked back to me...

"There is no retreat," I repeated. I pressed my cheek to hers, both wet with what was left of our tears. How I regretted letting her take this road with me...

...I felt her embrace weaken, and I let her go. She leaned against the archway and looked upon me with a pensive smile.

"It is time," she said...

...I turned toward the archway one last time, gazing into the depths of the gateway it held...

...there is no retreat...

...my resistance gone, I yielded to the gateway's pull, letting it take me...
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:20 AM.

9. Harbinger - Part 5

A sense of falling roused me from a fitful sleep. The rest I had hoped for was not to be mine this night, for I had only tossed and turned, and the new day was dawning.

I pushed myself from my bed to make ready for the day.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:30 AM.

10. Unity

Unity

It was time. I had spoken with the neighbors, letting them know I would be away for a spell. Those I had hired to see to things while I was away knew what they were to do in my absence. All that was left to do was begin the journey.

I gathered the things I had put by the door the night before, but there was too much to take all at once, so I left a bit for another trip.

I made for the door with my bags, fretting the fuss Dandi would put up. I thought of the two companions that I was dragging with me on this road.

"May we go safely," I whispered. "May we go safely."

I dropped the letters I had written in the post, then went to fetch Dandi.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:32 AM.

11. Unity - Part 2

I began tying the bags to her saddle. "Easy, girl" I said soothingly. "It is not so bad, is it?"

To my surprise, she did not put up much of a fuss at all. She seemed distracted by something.

"I bet it is the road ahead," I mused, stroking her neck after settling the last bag I had brought out with me upon her saddle. "Just a little more, girl. I will be right back with them, and then we can go."

I headed back inside, rubbing my hands together to get the blood back into them after carrying out my things...

...but upon my return, Dandi was nowhere in sight.

I dropped my bags and ran to the fence to look for her.

"Dandi!" I cried out, but she did not appear. I was only inside for a minute, so I knew she could not have gone far.

I went back over to near the front step where I had left the bags, calling out to her all the while.

"Dandi! We have to go!"

It was then that I heard rustling coming from over my shoulder.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:33 AM.

12. Unity - Part 3

I turned to see Dandi sneaking out from behind the side of the house, making breakfast of my daisies...

"Dandi, from whom did you learn to skulk like that?" I asked her with a sigh. She shook her head at me and whinnied, the one that always sounds like she is laughing at me.

I beckoned her over, and she came to me. I let her nuzzle me gently and rest her head on my shoulder.

"You are too much, girl" I whispered in her ear, hugging her about her neck.

"At least I know what was distracting you earlier," I said with a laugh. Her little trick had chased away my uneasiness and the unrest of the night before.

But it was time to away, so I hung the last few bags to her saddle. Together, we walked the path that led to the street that would take us out of the homesteads and start us on an uncertain journey.

We rode to war, to our small part in what was to come.

As we began on our way, I turned to look homeward once more. The day was just starting, the dawn bright with promise. All was quiet and tranquil, and there was not a hint to be found of the need for the journey we meant to undertake.

May all the blessings held by the stars alight upon those who endeavor to make it so...

As I began to turn away, the daisies in the garden caught my eye. I looked to my friend, always spirited and always faithful, who had carried me down so many paths, and I could not let the moment pass.

I gently pulled on Dandi's reins, to circle her back toward home. Once we were out front, I dismounted and asked her to stay still. She pawed at the cobblestones but did not move, so I turned up the path.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:34 AM.

13. Unity - Part 4

I ran over to fetch some of the daisies. I took three in one hand and the rest in the other before going back over to her.

I stood before her, with the three daisies held behind my back and the rest between the two of us.

"We will be sisters today and wear these flowers for luck on our journey," I told her. "What do you think of that, girl?"

Dandi walked up to nuzzle me again before having at the daisies I held before her.

I smiled and shook my ahead, "No, you just want them to eat them, don't you?"

She was so dear to me.

We finally set out once again. As Dandi slowly walked toward the homestead gate, I leaned forward in the saddle, twisting the stems of two of the daisies I had kept hidden from her about the thin straps of her bridle, near each of her ears. I took the last daisy and tucked it behind my ear.

"We go to war," I whispered once again.

We passed through the homesteads and took the westward road toward Bree-town. I knew that Deverell would not have had time to see to everything she had meant to already, so we went slowly, taking a leisurely pace.

I have been away, in distant lands so often, and what little time I have spent while home my thoughts were distant still...

...preparing for the next journey, looking for the next place to lend aid...
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:46 AM.

14. Unity - Part 5

...I had forgotten how truly beautiful Bree-land is... worth uncertain journeys by those in distant lands to fight to save, even as we journey to do the same in lands far-distant as well...

...wherever our roads take us, wherever we are carried by breezes before we come to settle in the place where we can do the most good, in time the stakes are the same for all...

We approached the southern gate into town as night was falling. I scratched Dandi behind her ears and whispered, "It was a lovely day to spend with you, Sister. We will get you settled and both find our rest for the night. Deverell should not be too long."

I took one last look about as we entered the gate to help me remember the day. After Dandi was settled, I took a room at the Pony and slept through the night.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 11:49 AM.

15. Appreciation

Appreciation

The next morning I awoke early to make ready for the day. I was not expecting Deverell to arrive for another day or two yet, but I wanted to be prepared if she did.

I made my way downstairs for what I planned to be a quick breakfast before taking Dandi outside the gates for a morning ride. The music of minstrels was a welcome greeting as I came to the foot of the stair.

"They have begun early today," I mused.

The common room was busy and getting busier by the minute. I fetched myself breakfast and found a table, turning my chair to both watch and listen to the minstrels taking turns before the hearth.

There were a good many friends who shared the morning and gifted us all with song. After a bit, I was asked to take my turn at the hearth as well.

"But I do not have an instrument with me," I pleaded. "And I have errands to see to today."

That excuse only lasted me for so long, however. So, with a show of feigned annoyance, I made my way over to Master Oaks.

One of the bards employed regularly by Master Barliman for the Pony, Owen Oaks was known to lend out instruments to the Pony's patrons from time to time.

"Master Oaks, might I borrow one of your flutes? Just for a few minutes, for I must away very soon," I asked.

"Certainly, lass. I just need a silver for a holder's fee," he nodded.

"A silver! Is it made of gold?" I asked incredulously.

He shook his head and whistled, "I wish it were. I will make change for you upon its return," he offered with a smile.

"I only need it for five minutes! And how can you ask for a silver even were I to run off with the thing?" I asked, hands on my hips and with an air of defiance.

He grinned, "Because I know you have it, for one. And I have seen you lot here enough to know that five minutes really means thirty, if not the entire day."

With a sigh of defeat, I reached for my purse, "You heeded the wrong calling, Master Oaks. There are no merchants I have ever found at market that fleece me more." I handed over the silver with a smile and a nod of appreciation.

He pocketed the coin and gave me a pat on the hand.

"Next time you will do better, lass."

It was the game we always played, and this time I was bested. But the moments in which we surface from our cares and our worries, the moments in which we are able to set everything aside and truly appreciate our place in time and that which surrounds us, have a worth beyond mere coin...

...for the moment, I was home, and I felt at home. And I was not going to let this time slip away...
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 12:07 PM.

16. Appreciation - Part 2

I took my turn at the hearth, playing a few duets with friends...

...and then joined in the dance with a few more, when it was time for others to play. It was now mid-morning, and someone suggested we take our music and dance out to the stage in the Pony square and into the sunlight.

As we were making to head outdoors, Master Oaks caught my eye and gave me a smirk. I made a face at him and waved with my borrowed flute before tucking it inside my belt and joining the others outside.

The day was breathtaking, the kind you make wishes for when everything you have planned depends upon it being so. Many joined us outside, and we each took our turns onstage, while taking part in the dance in between.

As more joined in, dressed in their finery, I decided that my leathers would not do any longer. I made my way over to the town vault, where I kept some things stored away.

Maud Foxglove kindly fetched one of my dresses for me. I walked back to the Pony with it and brought it to my room.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 12:08 PM.

17. Appreciation - Part 3

"Much better than creaky old leathers for dancing," I mused.

I knew it was to be a special day, for there was no way to know when the next day I might gather with my friends would come, even if it would come...

I hurried outside once more to make the most of the day.

I rejoined everyone outside, and we spent the day in good company and good cheer, as kindred spirits sharing so many of the beautiful things that have been gifted to us...

Together, we danced, and we sang, and we played, through mid-day...

...and into the afternoon...

In the late afternoon, as we twirled once again, we found a Bounder spying upon us, sharing in the music and dance.

"Genny!" I cried, for it was Gennyrose Greenblossom, the Rose of the Shire, herself.

"Goodness, what brings you all the way to Bree-town?" I asked her.

"Oh, we're meetin' here for alliancin'," she said. "I'm jus' waitin' for when the meetin' starts."
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 01:00 PM.

18. Appreciation - Part 4

She danced with us until the twilight came, when one of the bands that often performs concerts in town began to prepare for their show near the stables, on the northern side of the square. Everyone went to find a spot to listen, leaving the two of us alone.

I gave her a hug, "I am so glad I got to see you before I had to away, Genny."

"Me, too!" she grinned. "From tha' note you left on the door of the Station, we weren't sure we'd find you in time."

"Oh, I almost forgot! The Chief sent something along for you, for the road," she said.

"He did? That was very nice of him. What is it?" I asked.

"I'll be righ' back!" she waved and ran off. I laughed as I watched her go.

Evening descended quickly, and it was getting dark by the time she returned.

"Here ya go!" she said. "One of the Chief's finest!"

I took the pie into my hands, wondering if I would be able to wait until Deverell and I were on the road before trying some of it.

"Thank you so much, Genny. And give the Chief and everyone my best, will you?" I smiled.

"Sure I will. I've got to get to the meetin' now. Good luck out there!" Genny said as she waved and ran off again.

The concert, played under the full moon and with a star-filled sky, was a delight to each of our senses, as street vendors plied their trade and found many a willing patron for their brews and treats.

We danced under the stars and took turns playing for each other when the concert had ended. Some had to leave to rest or see to things, while those who were newly arrived came to take their place. But most stayed through the night and into the new day.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 12:11 PM.

19. Appreciation - Part 5

The revelry went on with no signs of slowing. A new concert began the next morning and we pressed on, making merry and wishing well for one another and the lives that we share.

...finally, in the early afternoon, my weariness overcame me, and I knew it was finally time to see to my rest...

...though I was still anxious about our journey and what was to come, my time spent in Bree-town helped to reawaken me to many things, things precious and worth defending, even at great cost. When we take the time to enjoy that which we endeavor to save, surely our efforts in that regard will be all the more inspired...

...I took one last turn about the square, wishing everyone well for the rest of their day and the days to come...

...as I made my way toward the Pony, with the sincerest hope that Deverell would not find the time to arrive until the morrow, I allowed myself one last backward glance, willing myself to remember the worth of friends, and of our ways, and other things which the haze of time and routine can cause to dim...

I let Barliman know to send Deverell to my room, were she to arrive later in the day, and then went to rest.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 12:12 PM.

20. Reticence

Reticence

My rest undisturbed, I did not awaken until the next morning. I made to make ready for the day and went down to the common room for breakfast.

As it was the previous two mornings, the Pony was busy with many patrons. I looked about for Deverell, but she had not yet arrived in town it appeared.

"Today or, at the latest, the day after," I mused.

I hurried out to poor Dandi, whom I had neglected to take riding the day before due to the revelry.

After a nice ride, I brought Dandi back to the stables near the Pony to rest. On my way back inside, the stage opposite the Pony caught my eye. Memories of the days prior returned to me, memories that I did not yet wish to let go. I walked over and found an empty chair, one amongst many, and settled myself upon it to remember.

...there was no one performing upon the stage, yet the visions played on behind closed eyes. The dulcet sound of harp, of lute and of voice arose once more, joyful and melancholy and all in between. Dancers appeared, twirling within the space between the stage and its audience, making merry, making the day their own...

...how I longed for one more day...

Rustling in the grass behind me put a reluctant end to the imagery of vision and sound that had held me fast.

"Here you are," I heard Deverell say from behind me as she lay her hand on my shoulder.

"Here you are," I answered, emphasizing her part in our late meeting. I looked up over my shoulder at her with a smile, placing my hand upon hers.

"Are you just arrived?" I asked. "I was expecting you two days ago."

She flushed a bit, "I am sorry about that. It took me a bit longer than I had thought to settle things and make myself ready."

I nodded in understanding.

"But I arrived yesterday just before dusk," she continued. "The innkeep pointed me to your room, and assured me it was yours once I had returned to him to say that no one stirred within. The two of us tried to wake you but decided you were best left to your rest."

An accusatory smile graced her lips, "He mentioned revelry and free-flowing mead..."

It was my turn to flush.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 12:50 PM.

21. Reticence - Part 2

"Hush, you!" I laughed and sprang from my chair to embrace her. We held each other close for a few moments.

"We both had good reason for our delays," I offered, once we had stepped back from one another. She accepted the truce with a nod and a smile.

...the thought of there being nothing more to delay us came to me. The thought of what I was asking her to do...

I took hold of her by her wrists, to bring us both back into the moment. "Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked. "Are you truly sure?"

She took my hands into her own and looked to me. "I don't know that I want to, Kaleigh. But I think someone needs to. And it may as well be us."

I embraced her once again and then put my arm in hers. We started to walk together, toward the flowering plants before the stage.

When I noticed her looking about I asked her, "How long has it been since you have visited Bree-town?"

"Oh, about two months or so," Deverell replied, "when I last brought my curatives and poultices to the market square."

...a part of me saw an opening. It was asked before I had even thought it through...

"Would you like to see the square again, before we away?" I asked. It was more invitation than question.

She looked toward me and her eyes brightened, "Oh, why don't we? We can gather supplies and rations for the road."

She paused, looking down for a moment, before looking to me once again with a smile, "We can make a day of it!"

She had met my invitation with one of her own.

"To the market square, then!" I laughed.

Together, arm in arm, we sped off toward the square.

We passed through the Market Gate and into the square. The rest of the morning we spent wandering amongst the merchant shoppes and stalls, perusing any wares on display that drew our interest, whether intended to be of aid in travel or not. A visit to Lalia's Market kept us very busy, and it was past mid-day when we finally returned to the square.

"We should fetch ourselves something for dinner," I suggested, as we were about to become lost to the merchant displays once again.

Deverell nodded, finally having decided to hand over the coin for the small leather purse with a shoulder strap she had been admiring, most likely to keep her draughts at the ready. She put the purse over her shoulder and pretended to pose.

"What do you think?" she said, smiling.

"I think I will be sneaking a look at whatever you keep in there," I laughed, "but it looks very nice even now."

"This will come in handy for our journey," she said, admiring the purse a bit longer before looking at me, "I think fetching dinner is a good idea now, though."

We were about to set off, when her eyes widened, and she pointed over my right shoulder.

"Look! A sale on jewelry and shinies!"

I looked over my shoulder to see no such thing, but I did hear footsteps racing on the cobblestones and Deverell's voice trailing off...

"Last one to the Pony buys the mead!"

I sighed and ran off after her, fearing how much lighter my purse would be after dinner.

After dinner, we decided to give up our charade and spent the rest of the day touring the town. I brought her to see the Town Hall, and Scholar's Stair, and most of the other sights worth seeing.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 01:00 PM.

22. Reticence - Part 3

Late in the afternoon, we returned to the merchants for one last round of shopping.

After a time, while we were wandering the square as dusk was approaching, the sound of minstrel play could be heard in the moments when the barkers paused for breath and the din of the square lessened. We both stopped to listen.

"Do you hear that?" Deverell asked. "It sounds lovely."

I smiled and lay my hand on her arm, "It sounds like there is a concert in the park. Come on."

We made our way over to the park near the town hall, where we found some minstrels playing for those who passed by or had stopped to linger. We found a place amidst the flowers to settle and rest, listening to the music until darkness came and the day was ending.

As we made to take the road back up to the Pony, I felt Deverell clutch at my arm. I turned to look at her.

She looked at me for a moment before asking, "We cannot do this again, can we?"

She then turned her gaze before her, concluding, "Tomorrow, we must away."
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 01:02 PM.

23. Reticence - Part 4

I looked up into the evening sky. My gaze was met by the soft and subtle beauty of the moonlit realm and everything one could hope to see in that moment, save for the answer that I wished I could give to her.

I took hold of her hand. "Tomorrow, we must away."

Together, we took the path leading to the Pony and our rest.

We were up at the dawn of the new day. While Deverell gathered our things, I went out to ready Dandi and Dancer for the road ahead.

I helped Deverell bring out our packs and settle them onto the saddles of our horses.

It was time. We mounted up and were away.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 01:03 PM.

24. Spirits

Spirits

Our reticence from the day before was gone. We had found our resolve with the dawn of the new day, and our spirits were high with the promise of the journey we were beginning together...

I turned in my saddle to make sure that Deverell and Dancer were coming along.

"Make haste, slowpokes! The morning is getting away!"

They finally were free of the stables and on their way. Deverell made a face at me I could make out across the square.

I laughed and then turned back to watch the cobblestones as we made our way down the hill from the Pony and toward the west.

...my mind returned to the day of my return two months before...

...the dark, the rain, and the cold. The rivulets of water flowing past, as though they were trying to escape their fate. It was as if opposing palms had narrowly missed one another, the thin barrier of time keeping each on its own course...

We turned northward, onto the path leading to the north gate, and left Bree-town behind us, for how long we could not know.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 01:04 PM.

25. Spirits - Part 2

I stopped to let Deverell catch up to me. "We should probably ride a bit apart most of the time, so that we can both better keep our eye on things. I will go ahead first."

"Very well," she nodded. She looked around us for a moment, at the fields unbounded by town walls and gates. "It will be like when we were young, Kaleigh. Even then, our wanderings sometimes were a bit adventurous," she said with a smile.

There were no words to express how grateful I was to her, for taking this road with me. I reached over and lay my hand on arm. She looked at me and smiled, reaching to put her hand on mine.

"You can buy the mead when we are next in town," she offered.

"Done! Quick, Dandi, walk on before she changes her mind," I laughed, turning Dandi back onto the road leading away from town.

We had been blessed by the most beautiful Summer days of late, and this day began true to it as well.

The morning sun rose to claim its dominion over the eastern sky, gifting its light to all.

We made our way toward the small brook that flowed from the Everclear lakes...

...turning north onto the road that ran alongside, heading toward Trestlebridge.
    Last edited by Valkrist; Aug 12 2015 at 01:24 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast