We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Unhappy Everything makes sense but dumping the API

Quote Originally Posted by Umair View Post
    i agree with op 100%

We really need some way to view our character data outside of the game, whether it be viewing the equipment, stats, crafting levels, deed completion history, or simply the total money we have on any of our character. Doing this in-game simply takes a lot of time and as the op pointed out its really hard to keep track of these attribute on multiple toons at once..

I for one have multiple toons on multiple servers, which means I now need to completely exit the game and restart it to get to my alts on other worlds which is just ridiculous.

Being a software developer myself I can understand the difficulty that the team faces with keeping up with broken forms (the old ones ie) and the character data gathering service but I would say making an API and giving it to other developers is a good alternative (this was there before as well when other websites simply get the data out of my.lotro and data.lotro) so they can make there own webapps and save us the impossible hassle.

I hope they take it into consideration
    I concur. Also being a software developer, it makes no sense to me to have trashed the API. Operating a server farm with the data.lotro.com database should not require much human intervention once it's set up. It seems to me that Turbine is shooting itself in the foot by failing to maintain and/or dumping this database. So many independent developers have provided the community with valuable tools based on the lotro api. Eliminating their ability to access game data simply means that there will be pressure on Turbine to fill the gap. I would much rather see the Devs working on game content than dealing with things that can be more efficiently handled by outside developers. The other option which is the direction Turbine seems to be going is not to meet these needs at all. This seems to be a classic case of "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater."
    [B][SIZE=1][COLOR=#40e0d0][FONT=verdana]Deavonian 76 Elf Champion, Rhimorea 69 Man Loremaster, Deavwyn 75 Woman Minstrel
    Renardric 63 Man Captain, Renardo 36 Hobbit Warden, Impatens 33 Hobbit Burglar
    Renardalin 32 Dwarf Rune-Keeper, Renardolin 22 Dwarf Guardian[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I agree. I jumped onto the website to see if I made any random characters on random servers that I wanted to delete, and I suppose I JUST CAN"T DO THAT!!!

Guides

It would be good if someone from Turbine can give us comunity made guides, etc, so it would be possible to host them somewhere else (lotro-wiki). Now I am missing many useful guides and info.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingalfin View Post
    I agree. I jumped onto the website to see if I made any random characters on random servers that I wanted to delete, and I suppose I JUST CAN"T DO THAT!!!
    Why exactly would you want to delete a character if you don't even know if you have it and it's on a server you don't even play?

Quote Originally Posted by Clodro View Post
    It would be good if someone from Turbine can give us comunity made guides, etc, so it would be possible to host them somewhere else (lotro-wiki). Now I am missing many useful guides and info.
    I think those are lost for good. Turbine gave a large amount of time for people to pull those out of the Lorebook.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

What about Google cache or archive.org?
    Wer Hilfe will, muss Informationen liefern.
    >> Lotro World transfer status <<

Quote Originally Posted by Amrundir View Post
    What about Google cache or archive.org?
    They're certainly still on the Wayback Machine... I dug one up for someone the other day just to prove it wasn't "lost". Of course, copyright still applies even there - if people want to move player guides and such into lotro-wiki, they probably should get permission from the author(s).

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Why exactly would you want to delete a character if you don't even know if you have it and it's on a server you don't even play?

I've done that to free up the name for someone else to use. It probably didn't matter though. It was a horrible name. It might have been a greater public service to not delete it.

To be honest, even though I missed the announcement that the out of game character information would be lost, I am still miffed about it.
    I have used the deed tracker to keep track of discrepancies between my Turbine Point tracking and what the Turbine balance is, since the in-game history doesn't give you *any* indication what you recieved the TP for - just "Game Grant". Often times, my own accounting turned out to be incorrect. I missed a deed here or there, or I recorded a higher value than recieved. However, there have been a few times where I was not granted the TP I earned in game. Being able to track it down by find the deeds I've finished and comparing to my store history allowed me to fix that. Now, there is no way to check all of that to see if it was my mistake or Turbine's.
    Main:
    Elethahil - 99 Champion, Landroval (After 10/13/15) also 50 Champion, Arkenstone

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5