We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Singbard View Post

snip

. We need a way to display char info in a web browser, or we need the ability to log on more than one char from the same account.

Also for all our guild web pages, we would love to have a consistent way to link to ingame items, with correct graphics, tool tips, and all.

I hope I find a lot of support here,
    Cheers,
    Singbard
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Yes and no. No you will not get it back on these forums. That's done and won't be coming back. Yes, you can still get the data via data.lotro.com through an app like LOTROHerald.
    here you go. I think I'd miss it too, but looks like via an app we shall still be able to see slow to update game items on our characters. not everything you would like but good enough?

keep calm, carry on!

Angry

If they call removing the lorebook an improvement, they are sadly mistaken. Why do they put a slick, glossy coat on things, remove the features you like and call it new and improved? go back to the drawing broad and give us our wiki, it is too important to delete!

Personally I don't know why they didn't just make the new Brown/Grey/Neon Orange forums here and leave the other site alone, where it was, with a disabled but searchable forum. Even without a forum but with the other features we lack here.

That way everyone would be happy, (except for those that just like to see others unhappy and argue about things of course).

I do appreciate sapience asking for the LOTROHerald to keep working, although I wish there was another way to access the info.

Unsure if I can check out character names anymore - it's very, very handy when someone is on a low-level alt trolling global chat. Is this what you mean by character links?

/signed andothercharactersforthewordco unt

the lorebook

I too want it back, I have missed it since it was removed, and for me this may be a deal breaker as I used it all the time. The wiki does not replace it, as it doesn't have the same or as much
    information and is much harder to search. I realize the lorebook needed updating the information in it as is, was extremely helpful. Please bring back all these things.

lorebook loss

This is not good..the forums do not have the info that the lorebook and wiki have....this sucks. I need info that I would have found in the old site....but it is not here. I am not happy with this at all.

/signed

also I'd like to see a petition thread supporting our right to have petition threads taken seriously.

More seriously; my.lotro, the leaderboards, and the lorebook had a lot of very important info that's now gone. I just don't see faster forums as a worthy tradeoff for losing the wealth of knowledge contained in these features. Allowing some sort of functionality so that users could feasibly set up these lost resources themselves would be a nice bone to toss the community.

Personally, the community team is going to have to seriously step up their game in the forums for me to see this as anything other than another step in what seems to be a steady pattern of turbine lessening its commitment and investment in this game.

a few things i like and dislike with the new forums update. As someone who was just getting into being on the lotro forum right as this update happens.

I do like how when you click on the forum links, they just work, no more waiting 30 seconds for the page to load or not at all, or having to spam click to get through to anyplace. No more messed up visuals and broken images everywhere.
    These forums are MUCH faster, more stable and a stronger structure which is a big plus.

The down side is, it seems it is JUST a structure. No add-ons, no personality that i myself can add to my profile. No custom avatars like the same one i have used on all my forums, i dislike the color scheme. It does not have that lotro feeling to it at all. The blue default look of the older forums then switching to green color (or color of your choice) when you logged it felt at least more akin to lotro. This just seems like the forums are a darkened layout that was just slotted onto the main lotro page. It is harder for me to read these forums than the older ones, but i can read them. As im typing this post i had to highlight and delete a sentence, when i highlight it is so closed to the dark background, i cant see what i have highlighted at all.

I do agree that having the forums work is #1 priority, but i also hope that once that is all taken care of that more features are to be added, like the addition to the lore-book/wiki added. That was one reason i came onto the forums.
    I loved the extras that we were given. I liked the map we could zoom through, the character sigs, being able to see my characters (which were outdated for well over a month).

If the character data can be pulled for lotteries whats stopping from adding a character sig?
    If the character data is always outdated will that mess with my lotto entries? I dont think i have ever looked at my character data and seen it up to date....ever, last i looked my hunter was shown as level 65 and im now 80 and its been 2-3 weeks since i was level 65. Which makes me wonder since you removed the ability to see your own characters how can we know if our characters are being fairly available for lottos?

Also the no auto fill feature is bogus, i can deal with the 45-minute log out, but having to type in my username and password everytime is a pain, especially when most of us already have multiple accounts across the internet, like email, facebook, twitter, youtube, other game/forums, paying bills....etc...etc and 90% of them allow auto fill ins just fine.

I would gladly take the hit in "security" for the removal of that. I think i could manage not having my account tampered with if it was in place.

Overall the structure and having the forums work is a great thing, but no added personality to bring to them makes me not want to be a part of these forums anymore.

Disagree... don't bring them back, don't even consider it - wasted effort where resources could be best used on other important projects related to the game.

Sapience has said that a lot of these features are gone from the forums permanently. That's blunt talk for a Community Manager, who generally hate telling people things they don't want to hear (because it makes folks unhappy, often increases the need for moderation, etc).

That probably means that they simply don't have the budget or resources to port, maintain, and improve them. Remember, they did go through a round of layoffs last fall, and the CR team lost someone who had been here since at least 2008. The web team is small, stretched across all of Turbine's games, and probably on the hook to help deliver a new web site for Infinite Crisis (so once they disengage here, I don't expect to see any new features at all for quite some time).

I realize that customers don't care about any of that, and only want what they want when they want it. However, companies have to make decisions about priorities within their budget, and I'm glad we at got secure, fast, functional forums that aren't in "Beta". Easy for me to say since I didn't use most of what was lost, but the core function of a forum is... this. Not wikis, blogs, leader boards and the rest.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    I realize that customers don't care about any of that, and only want what they want when they want it. However, companies have to make decisions about priorities within their budget, and I'm glad we at got secure, fast, functional forums that aren't in "Beta". Easy for me to say since I didn't use most of what was lost, but the core function of a forum is... this. Not wikis, blogs, leader boards and the rest.

Khafar
    This wasn't a forum before, it was a community site. Now it is a forum.

100% agree with the original poster.

I think that the lack of character information is going to kill the Ettenmoors which might, in fact, be a big factor in their decision to remove it.

The forum layout looks great. The forums themselfs not so great with dark grey background and light gray text I find them hard to read. I would like brighter whiter text as my eyesight isn't that great to begin with.

Wiki is more reliable than the Lorebook ever was, and the character info, in addition to never updating properly, also allowed intrusive sites like Altfinder.

Good riddance.
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Add me as +1

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    This wasn't a forum before, it was a community site. Now it is a forum.
    I understand that some in the community are going to feel this way, but that portion of the community (those using the removed features regularly) is almost certainly a tiny percentage of the people who actually play the game. What percentage of people do you think even read the forums regularly? 10%? 15%? Those using the other features with any regularity are very likely to be a fair amount smaller percentage than that.

Companies have to use data like that when prioritizing what will be done, what will be maintained, what will be updated. And naturally, those who are in the small minorities who get ignored aren't happy about it. I'm not happy that they delivered a very ho-hum version of "Fishing", then abandoned it forevermore. But for Turbine, the cost of turning Fishing into something even a modest percentage of their players would do regularly is just too high. So it's "feature complete", and if it were to cost them real $$ and real database performance to maintain, I have no doubt whatever that they'd rip it back out of the game.

Besides, Community is defined much more by communication (forums) than by inventory management or leaderboards or out-of-date reference pages.

Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Aug 03 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
    I think that the lack of character information is going to kill the Ettenmoors which might, in fact, be a big factor in their decision to remove it.
    I seriously doubt that was a factor. While Turbine *may* be "killing the Ettenmoors" through neglect, it is highly unlikely that they deliberately take actions designed to do so. From what I've read, the leaderboard data tended to lag behind the "reality" on the ground. In addition, their absence has the potential to *help* the Ettenmoors as there may be less incentive to "rank farm" without them.

The forum layout looks great. The forums themselfs not so great with dark grey background and light gray text I find them hard to read. I would like brighter whiter text as my eyesight isn't that great to begin with.
    Agreed. Plus, they could stand to have a larger default font size. A clearer delineation between threads that one is up to date on, ones that have new posts since last checked would help, and easier to see markers showing which threads are closed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    I understand that some in the community are going to feel this way, but that portion of the community (those using the removed features regularly) is almost certainly a tiny percentage of the people who actually play the game. What percentage of people do you think even read the forums regularly? 10%? 15%? Those using the other features with any regularity are very likely to be a fair amount smaller percentage than that.

Companies have to use data like that when prioritizing what will be done, what will be maintained, what will be updated. And naturally, those who are in the small minorities who get ignored aren't happy about it. I'm not happy that they delivered a very ho-hum version of "Fishing", then abandoned it forevermore. But for Turbine, the cost of turning Fishing into something even a modest percentage of their players would do regularly is just too high. So it's "feature complete", and if it were to cost them real $$ and real database performance to maintain, I have no doubt whatever that they'd rip it back out of the game.

Besides, Community is defined much more by communication (forums) than by inventory management or leaderboards or out-of-date reference pages.

Khafar
    While both sides of the argument have valid points to make, i hope they are taking into consideration how much players could be drawn into the game by having great forums/community site. LOTRO is competing with all other MMO's out there.

Kinship status

I am really going to miss my kinship " Captains Of Middle Earth" page..
    I over the years had come to rely on that page to see accomplishments of members, so that when i logged on, I could send a Gratz.
    also made it nice to see if members had left so i could inquire. since theres no way of knowing who leaves when you have alot of members.
    seems to be alot of good. but some bad, need some kind of balance here. just give me back my page that was linked. please i beg you.
    regardless, I love Lotro. Briannas Vilya server.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000072e59/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Why???

I don't understand why the Turbine folks removed the Lorebook. Especially the task board section. And even without any notice. You guys must have some sort of hit rate and I am sure it shows that very many people used the Lorebook. Frankly it was the only reason for me to visit this web site. Everything else, except the Forum, is not very appealing. The new look is nice though. But other than that.... You removed the most interesting part!!!!

I want the task board section back. Even thou there are other web sites showing information about tasks - the LOTRO Lorebook is where it belongs. And I put a lot of work in it to slowly but surely get it back up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Branhil View Post
    I don't understand why the Turbine folks removed the Lorebook. Especially the task board section.
    Probably for a combination of forum performance reasons and the cost/effort to maintain those features.

And even without any notice.
    Say, what? Turbine has been talking about the removal of a lot of the add-on features for *months*. There's been plemty of notice. Indeed...there was an official notice posted at the regional office in the Alpha Centauri system....oops, wrong notice. Turbine posted several notices on the Fourns.

You guys must have some sort of hit rate and I am sure it shows that very many people used the Lorebook.
    They almost certainly do have that data...but it may not show what you think it does.

Frankly it was the only reason for me to visit this web site. Everything else, except the Forum, is not very appealing. The new look is nice though. But other than that.... You removed the most interesting part!!!!
    Now we get the nitty gritty of it. *You* used just about everything *except* the Forums. That that was your usage pattern doesn't mean that other people shared it.

I want the task board section back.
    So start a web site where you post that data.

Even thou there are other web sites showing information about tasks - the LOTRO Lorebook is where it belongs. And I put a lot of work in it to slowly but surely get it back up to date.
    Actually, I would think that the LotRO Wiki is where that data belongs. So why aren't you adding it to the Wiki? That's what Wikis are supposed to be all about, publicly editable.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Turbine posted several notices on the Fourns.
    Alright, so I missed that. I sincerely apologize for not reading everything that is being posted on the forum

They almost certainly do have that data...but it may not show what you think it does.
    I am sure it doesn't even come close to what I hope it would. And I am sure there is some work to maintain sections like the Lorebook even thou it was designed to be edited by the users. But I do not know how much work it was to keep the Lorebook clean from BS that some not so smart users put in there.

*You* used just about everything *except* the Forums. That that was your usage pattern doesn't mean that other people shared it.
    You are certainly right about that. And I am sure I wasn't the only one with this kind of pattern. The reason for that is that I was a frequent user of Forums in all kinds of games, communities etc. I found it very exhausting to struggle my way through all the bla bla to find a few pieces of useful information. That's why I stopped doing that. Just a time saving action.

So start a web site where you post that data.
    You know what? If I had my own web space - I would do it. But I am afraid I wouldn't be able to access the data necessary to show the graphics that was shown on the original Lorebook. E.g. icons for the items (weapons, furs etc.) being links to game data (value of an item etc.). Or coins, or links to region information that was put in by others. Or even the layout of the web pages which certainly is owned by Turbine and thus protected. LotRo Wiki already does offer task data. But look at it. Just the bare minimum - poorly organized with no graphical embellishments whatsoever. Here in Germany we have a saying: "Das Auge isst mit". Meaning that the optical appearance of a meal is a big part of enjoying it .....
    But what about the classes 1o1, region guide lines etc. pp.?

It is what it is. Turbine certainly will not reestablish the Lorebook just because a few people are disappointed. They do what every company is striving for - making a maximum of profit with a minimum of effort. And that is perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by Branhil View Post
    You know what? If I had my own web space - I would do it. But I am afraid I wouldn't be able to access the data necessary to show the graphics that was shown on the original Lorebook. E.g. icons for the items (weapons, furs etc.) being links to game data (value of an item etc.). Or coins, or links to region information that was put in by others. Or even the layout of the web pages which certainly is owned by Turbine and thus protected. LotRo Wiki already does offer task data. But look at it. Just the bare minimum - poorly organized with no graphical embellishments whatsoever. Here in Germany we have a saying: "Das Auge isst mit". Meaning that the optical appearance of a meal is a big part of enjoying it .....
    But what about the classes 1o1, region guide lines etc. pp.?
    I do believe the Classes 101 was saved somewhere, but for the most part it really wasn't that much information anyway. I read the ones that matched my favorite classes and they essentially said "You have these skills, and I recommend you use them."

As a note on the Lotro-Wiki, I know the Wiki has the same capability as the Lorebook as far as icons and item popups. In fact, it actually has worked over there better in recent times. Since it's all user contributed the items were able to go up as soon as they were found. On the Lorebook, since much of it was un-editable, one had to wait for the Turbine staff to kick it into gear, which very rarely happened. If you want images on the Task page, go add 'em.

I couldn't agree more. Surely LOTRO wants members to get an "official" based guide to the game rather than having to go to sources outside the game for information and advice? This should be part of the Gaming experience not something to be dealt with by on- line forums and "unofficial" websites.

Let's be honest here. When Turbine closed down the COMMUNITY SITE and left us with just a FORUM, they basically wrote off years of effort by players to provide helpful information and support to other players. Basically they are saying; 'OK, so you did all that work for the betterment of the gaming community. Who cares? Delete it!' This unfortunately sums up Turbine's attitude to their customers in recent years and seems to be getting worse all the time.

Lotro-Wiki is nice and I use it a lot, but unfortunately it is a far inferior resource that has never contained the amount of information that used to be here. It has only ever been a basic resouce, lacking the depth of information, guides, important class quests, walkthrough help, etc that has now been lost. Since we lost all that Lore I have been trying to gather links to information I that I would prefer to be able to access in the future, but so many sites don't actually carry the information, just links that now show Turbine's "404 - You shall not pass!" page. It feels like somebody shredded every volume of the encyclopedia and tells us that it doesn't matter because we still have an abridged dictionary we can use!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast