We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Loremaster question

I'm taking a new loremaster through the intro and hope to play this one up through the quests, (my other loremaster on Imladris was built to be a crafting toon, so I haven't really done much else with her).

I've never really done much with the loremaster class before, so I'm pretty new at it. I was wondering how does one activate flanked? I noticed on the sign of battle: wizard's fire, that if flanked is activated when using it, that it also provides some morale recovery. Is there a way to activate flanked or is it completely random?

thanks!

When your pet attacks opponent it has a change to cause flankin effect. Some pets do that more often than others. Here's a short video how it works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlyGmLvZhfw

As Napa-Ahma said, flanking is something that happens randomly when your pet uses an auto-attack on a mob. Different pets have different flanking rates. The legendary pets (Eagle and Bog Lurker) have the highest flanking rates. Out of the non-legendaries, Raven has the highest. At very high levels, I believe we get a pet that flanks on command (haven't gotten that far yet myself).

Flank rate is linked to attack speed, and so effects that increase attack speed/decrease attack duration of the pet will result in a higher flanking rate. Buff your pet with Sign of the Wild: Rage to increase its flanking rate.

The flank effect is accompanied by purple arrows flashing briefly around the mob, and a sound effect (sounds a bit like a cell phone ringing to me). Get used to watching or listening for it so that you can take advantage of it. As you noticed, it allows you self-heal with Wizard's Fire. It also adds other effects to other skills, such as increased damage or power return. Starting at level 44, you can even use a certain skill+trait combo to share the healing from Wizard's Fire with a designated target.

thank you both very much for the tips!

The spirit pet, last pet for now, has an ability to trigger a flanking effect. This pet doesn't attack is mainly a healing pet.

Newbie LM, just hit 85 the other day, so I am learning how to use it effectively in raids.

I tend to run with the Bog-Lurker or the Lynx for the surprise attack and steath. The lurker does decent damage and is great at pulling from distance.
    Council of Elders:
    Boradamer - Guardian
    Zakhiras - Lore Master
    Valari - Rune Keeper

the more often it attacks and the more often it crits the more it seems to flank in my experience. I mostly run the Raven pet, I place sign of wild rage on it and I use the rage stickpin. I get a lot of flank responses that way.
    and there are 3 ways to spend the flank, staff-strike for a quick melee hit that does more damage, staff-sweep that gives u a little power over time, or the wizard's fire heal.
    [COLOR="#3366ff"]Melrok (R10 Guard) Morkel (R12 Hunter) Merlok (R8 LM) Shadowheart (R8 Burg)[/color]
    [color="#cc3333"]Grimnaw (R11 Warg) Grimweaver (R11 Spdr) Grimacroncheese (R9 BA)
    Rageagainsthelootbox (R8 Defiler) Cheezeypoof (R9 Reaver)[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron2112 View Post
    I mostly run the Raven pet, I place sign of wild rage on it and I use the rage stickpin. I get a lot of flank responses that way.
    Just wanted to say, that it is mainly because of raven. Raven has higher flank chance than many others pets (bear, cats, spirit).
    Last edited by Estelrandir; Aug 07 2013 at 03:42 AM.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my first language, sorry for mistakes

From my experience over the years, the best way to trigger a flank effect is to be low on morale and hit staff strike. Its pretty much guaranteed I'll see the flanked icon pop up as the animation starts.*

I'll get my coat......

More seriously, the video shows the 3 triggers that tells you a flank has happened. Its just being aware of them picking the one that works for you, and watching out for it. I used to listen out for the ding, but play without sound (for all kinds of stupid reasons) these days, and I instinctively watch the target's buff/debuff bar. so just keep an eye there at all times for the icon.

People have already laid out the choices between pets for flanking; no one is right, they all represent a compromise one way or another.

Sauron2112 -- thanks, for some reason I'd never thought of that and instinctively use the defensive stickpins. Will have to build one and try it out

*You have no idea how much I love the 2 red Hytbold set bonus and dread having to give it up.

I didn't want to start a new thread for just this question, so I'll just add it here. I hope the OP doesn't mind. A very simple and newbie question, I'm sure.

I've tried to find out how LM would control a whole mob and stun them. Reading wikis and the forum posts here it should be possible, but I've never found out how selecting a mob actually happens. I haven't found any command for it, I've tried hovering the cursor over a mob, then pressing H, still an individual. Is it a skill at later lvls? I'm only lvl 30. Or do I have to get a plug-in? I'd just like to be more useful in group situations, and debuffing a whole mob would be that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisbeth2603 View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread for just this question, so I'll just add it here. I hope the OP doesn't mind. A very simple and newbie question, I'm sure.

I've tried to find out how LM would control a whole mob and stun them. Reading wikis and the forum posts here it should be possible, but I've never found out how selecting a mob actually happens. I haven't found any command for it, I've tried hovering the cursor over a mob, then pressing H, still an individual. Is it a skill at later lvls? I'm only lvl 30. Or do I have to get a plug-in? I'd just like to be more useful in group situations, and debuffing a whole mob would be that.

Thanks
    A whole mob? As opposed to only its elbow, or something? :P It's kind of hard to tell what you even meant by your post, but I think you misunderstand what the term "mob" means in MMOs. It does NOT refer to a group of monsters. It refers to a single monster/animal/badguy/whatever. They're called "mobs" because "mob" was originally an acronym having something to do with how they were programmed (I forget exactly what it stands for, though, and Google isn't being very helpful). I also think you might misunderstand what is meant by "control." The term "crowd control" simply means temporarily disabling mobs (with stuns, dazes, roots, etc.) to prevent them all from attacking at once.

Many of our crowd control skills will only hit one mob at a time. We do get a few that will hit multiple targets (Cracked Earth, Bane Flare, Herb Lore, Storm Lore, and Ents Go to War; if there are others, they've slipped my mind). Read your tooltips to see which skills hit single targets and which can hit multiple targets.

^Thanks for the explanation. And I've read the tooltips. My mistake was to think a mob was a group, and not a single target. My sincerest apologies.

Pfft, it's nothing you need to apologize for. :P