We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: returning LM

returning LM

Hey all.

Im returning after some time away and currently doing quests in the new area.
    In terms of stats, which one should i go for now? When i left they were introducing fate in a lot of stuff.
    Does that changed? Fate is still important or should i look for just will and vit now?

Anyway, any tips are welcome.

Sorry for my awfull english.

Wyse

Indeed fate was nerfed by much. But since our Power of knowledge skill has been nerfed as well u cant totally ignore fate.
    So its pretty much stack up will again and balance between fate and vit.

As you level, fate won't be too important. You'll need a bit more fate when at cap though. Like Pith said, focus on Will and then balance out a decent amount of Vit and Fate.

Also build your virtues towards mitigations and resistances. Stacking all the morale / vit ones is less desirable now.

I only hang on to Zeal because of all the morale it provides. I know, more than you asked... I also endorse the responses above, Will is #1 followed by fate and vitality.
    [center]Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // [b][color=red]Akthuri r15 LM[/color][/b] // Vishus r5 Captain[/center]

Sadly, in order of importance (and the significance increases as you level):

1). -- Will

2). -- Will

3). -- Will
    4). -- Vitality/ Fate.

Seriously, its in part the way itemization works these days, and in part the way the stat mechanics work these days. You can build more towards Fate and Vitality, but at the cost of Will, where you lose more than you gain.

Might and agility are as pointless as always. You'll get a handful of points of crit, physical mit and defenses, but they are a drop in the ocean.

Will controls so many important stats it makes sense to build it as high as you can: Tactical Mastery, Physical Mastery, Tactical Mitigation, most of which are hard to get elsewhere. The weakest thing that Will affects which is Resistance rating, which is also affected by Vitality, but both stats offer the same effect (2 resistance points per stat point), so you might as well just keep stacking will to build resistance.

Fate is obviously important for its contributions to power regeneration and critical rating. The former does not go away, but with the recent re-balancing, power is independent of any stats, and by the time you reach level cap you have more than enough power for most fights. Fate's contribution to critical rating gets swamped by the contributions that increasingly come from gear. -- A perspective being that at lvl 85 I'd need around 2100 fate to get as much crit rating as my gear gives me. (considering I am struggling to get over 400 fate without compromising my Will stat, its way beyond what is possible).

Vitality has similar issues. It contributes to morale, but my 500ish vitality gets around 1500 Morale out of a 10,000+ total. Again raw morale on gear far surpasses what the stat can give. Its contribution to resistance is mentioned above. It does boost Both physical and tactical mitigation, but again, the physical component is swamped by other sources (I have around 8000. 4000 from armour, 1000 from Vitality, 1700+ from slotting Compassion and Innocence, and the rest from other bits and pieces). You actually get more Tactical mitigation from a point of Vitality then you do from a point of Will, but on its own its not enough to change the balance.

I'm not saying ignore them, just find a balance between the 3 stats, which will heavily be weighted towards Will. -- If you look at well geared 85 characters (i.e. not me), you may well see Vit/fate in the 500-600 range, but Will is well over 2500.

It doesn't change much with role either.

Damage dealing is easy, lots of the masteries, linked with high mitigations and morale, which means lots of Will.

If you are trying our enhanced healing skills, it means tactical mastery (controls outgoing healing), so lots of Will.

A crowd control role is much more about trait build, legacies and Finesse to make sure you land debuffs when you need to, and all 3 are largely independent of stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolas View Post
    It doesn't change much with role either.
    If you are trying our enhanced healing skills, it means tactical mastery (controls outgoing healing), so lots of Will.
    A crowd control role is much more about trait build, legacies and Finesse to make sure you land debuffs when you need to, and all 3 are largely independent of stats.

I think ill disagree on those ones. Priority does change with role imo.

1) DPS is pretty much what was said. Much will balanced fate/vit and raw crit/fin/tact mast

2) Healer: *hides in fear* Healing is not affected that much by tact mastery. I find healing much more effective with more crit rating than with high tact mastery.

3) CC: CC/support skills take a lot of power so u might need a bit more fate coz not always u can have the luxury of traiting PaW. Buuuuut, when i trait CC it usually comes with a ridiculous amount of vit/morale. i couldn't care any less for my will. so in flight T2 for example i can run in the middle of hell and throw my bane flare without worrying that ill die.

^^ this.

You can run skirmishes and most instances full red if you wish. Will is a bit of a parody, in that it becomes less effective toward your tac mastery the higher it goes.

As pithrandir states, it's all about what is required of you, so for flight t2, finesse,vit, debuff res on book would all take priority over will. you are usually the only lm in the raid so dunedain learning is a must but even so, in amongst your anti-stun, debuffing there isn't a lot of time to make a significant impact to dps.

Sometimes (and i'm not being mean ) be content with this role in support. At times coming from leveling a new 85 lm, you know you have a few nice aoe dps skills etc but knowing when to use them and not just using them when you can makes a shed load of difference.

Debuffing,water-lore,anti stun is full time sometimes.

Healing is more effective with a higher crit rating, i know this from experience on my mini, but i have the wyrmfire ring on my mini (for crit boost) and i guess it is more suited to a lm, rather than melody mini.

All i'm getting at is kinda if you haven't done a particular raid/instance before, ask what is required of you, passive raven being the norm for raids.

Swap gear is nice also.

Similar here guys, long time returning player getting into a new-ish LM (level 28 now). Because I went a human, I decided to focus on Will for my virtues, followed by Fate then Power. So far I have spec'd for & leveled Wisdom, Conf, Ideal, Honesty, Loyalty. Is this the best mix for all round play...?
    With the class I'm going for Keeper (prob leave Flanking out of the 7 possible?) & for Race, Man of the 4th Age + Return to Bree initially. Appreciate any/all suggestions on the other traits and/or gear selection into the higher levels - cheers guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Borrob View Post
    Similar here guys, long time returning player getting into a new-ish LM (level 28 now). Because I went a human, I decided to focus on Will for my virtues, followed by Fate then Power. So far I have spec'd for & leveled Wisdom, Conf, Ideal, Honesty, Loyalty. Is this the best mix for all round play...?
    With the class I'm going for Keeper (prob leave Flanking out of the 7 possible?) & for Race, Man of the 4th Age + Return to Bree initially. Appreciate any/all suggestions on the other traits and/or gear selection into the higher levels - cheers guys!
    For higher levels, it's MoNF 90% of the time, with AM if you do tier 2 raids.
    As for virtues, at a high level you'll need them to cover your weak points, not adding to your strengths (what's 48 Will when you have near 3k Will already?). In most cases, it will be Physical Mitigation and Morale that you'll want to cover. Virtues can do wonders to close the gaps in your defenses that traditional gear creates. Currently I'm rocking 40% in both mitigations, just under 11k morale, 20% crit and still have a semi-decent mastery of 32k (this is an EM build which I also use defensively in PvE, so I let outpost buffs cover my mastery instead due to DR).
    Is this the only way to go? No, but for me it works best unless I need to be in glass cannon mode, so maybe it will for you too.
    Last edited by BirdofHermes; Aug 31 2013 at 09:56 AM.

About virtues i dont think they play that much part while leveling coz, u r mostly gonna be doin solo stuff(unless u wont) and quests are really easy as u prolly know. For endgame i switch virtues around. Mostly i am focusing on physical mitis and some morale when in DPS gear coz everything else is pretty much capped.

I find traiting keeper for leveling(till 65 at least) to be very convenient. Traiting full blue though is kinda a waste. Improved inner flame will mess u up instead of helping u. Also there are some traits in other branches that are pretty usefull even if traited blue. Master of the stuff is one that u just cant replace with anything else imo. Harmony with nature is pretty important as well. so play around with them.

For race there aint too many choices me thinks. barter the bree travel skill so u have that out of equation, also when u max ur virtues u wont be needing another one, u dont need upper cut. pplay with the rest

Tx for your advice guys. If I understand correctly, the virtues I picked should be fine; picking Man as my race was prob a mistake but never mind - I really don't like the look of the scrawny elf wimen in the game so I'm happy to stick with my burly human LM . Race traits are then ok (the main 2 anyway) - happy to grind 150 wargs for RTB, as I don't think I can use barrow tokens to just buy it as a human, eh. Class traits...maybe I pick 4 of the best Keeper ones (Master of Beasts, Hardy Comp, Light of Hope & Healer say...?) & then add 3 of the best MoNF ones, like Master of the Staff, Harmony With Nature and maybe either Flame of Anor or Awarness of Body...? I'm having absolutely no issues with Power this time round (it's almost always full even at the end of the most intense/lengthy battles), but not sure if that will change later.
    Thanks again!

Tx for your advice guys. If I understand correctly, the virtues I picked should be fine; picking Man as my race was prob a mistake but never mind - I really don't like the look of the scrawny elf wimen in the game so I'm happy to stick with my burly human LM . Race traits are then ok (the main 2 anyway) - happy to grind 150 wargs for RTB, as I don't think I can use barrow tokens to just buy it as a human, eh. Class traits...maybe I pick 4 of the best Keeper ones (Master of Beasts, Hardy Comp, Light of Hope & Healer say...?) & then add 3 of the best MoNF ones, like Master of the Staff, Harmony With Nature and maybe either Flame of Anor or Awarness of Body...? I'm having absolutely no issues with Power this time round (it's almost always full even at the end of the most intense/lengthy battles), but not sure if that will change later.
    Thanks again!
    Nah Men are good, you get a a really nice passive 5% incoming healing. Plus you can give the fellowship +2% Morale, which is a lot more useful than Elves' +2% Power.

Once you get to Lv58-60 and get your ISG legendary trait you'll definitely want to go 5x MoNF just to blow things up.
    (though this will likely change with HD)