We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How bad are these new forums?

I had hoped that the new forums would be so much better than the old ones, but they are actually pretty bad. Not only are they ugly to look at, difficult to read and cause eye strain with the the absolutely idiotic choice of colours, but they are very badly designed, user unfriendly and either bug-ridden or very badly programmed. I was not looking forward to the 45 minute logout, but I have just been logged out after one second! I signed in, pressed submit and am told that my session has ended and I have to sign in again. What session, I hadn't even got finished logging in yet!

Now I am finally in to the forum. Or at least I suppose it is the forum. It's the 'My Account' page, but how do I get to the forums from here? The only things I seem able to do are of no interest to me. How to I get to the forums themselves? I end up reloading the bookmark and luckily I am still logged in and actually at the forums. Which look like something designed for colour blind Star Trek players. My first thought is that I am in the wrong forums as they seem to have nothing that relates to Lotro at all. Now I try looking for what's new, and I get a hodgepodge of disparate posts that I have no idea whether I want to read or not because they are just listed with no real terms of reference as to what they relate to. What was wrong with the old style of listing which actually made it easy to decide if the subject was of interest to you?

By this point my eyes are aching from trying to read these pages as the colour scheme is really awful and hard on the eyes. So I gave up, logged out and went off to do other things. It hasn't got any easier on subsequent visists and I can only hope that this is a temporary forum until Turbine can finish making a proper forum for us instead of this awful mess!

If you don't like the "What's New?" layout, you can still click on the "New Posts" link right below it :-) That will show the old style list.

direct link:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/search....e=vBForum_Post

Bad? Are we looking at the same forums? Except for the god-awful, eye-burning yellow text in your post, the new forums are awesome!

It's not bad
    I'd like more Elvish fonts though

I'm one of those that prefers the color scheme, it is very easy on my eyes & have not yet experienced anything like what you describe as far as logging on. However, I don't like how difficult it is to tell which threads I have read already & which I have not (seriously those confusing envelopes are ridiculous), or the automatic log-out. AND I miss the 'Google' map.
    [color=purple]Cefely Elenhilde of Rivendell, lvl 85 Hunter;[/color][color=turquoise] Nenriel Lirulind of Lorien, lvl 85 Minstrel;[/color][color=hotpink] Cherrie Berry of the Fallohides, lvl 85 Burglar;[/color][color=green] Harloe Palohelm of Rohan, lvl 85 Warden;[/color][color=red] Ayan Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 85 Captain;[/color][color=yellow] Onja Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 83 Champion[/color]
    [color=cyan]Leader of founding Kinship Elenhilde on Meneldor[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Bad? Are we looking at the same forums? Except for the god-awful, eye-burning yellow text in your post, the new forums are awesome!
    Well if the colour scheme wasn't so bloody awful and some consideration given to people who may not have 20-20 vision then I wouldn't need to find another colour ink that shows up better would I?

I think they need to ask Turbine management or WB for some money to hire some professional graphics designers and web designers. And then create better forums.

We need something like this. It looks so much better.

Even Turbine's own forums look better: https://www.infinitecrisis.com/forum...s-Founders-FAQ

Please spend a little more money for Lotro players. Better forums = more players = more money for you Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Well if the colour scheme wasn't so bloody awful and some consideration given to people who may not have 20-20 vision then I wouldn't need to find another colour ink that shows up better would I?
    My eyes suck, but I'd prefer a "not optimal to read" gray over "oh gods now I can't see anything" yellow.

I think my biggest (and really, my only major complaint) is that it's a bit of a hassle to get into some of my commonly used forums now. I used to just hit the Class -> Captain dropdown (my favorite section to hang out in) but now I have to scroll down to the Classes section in the main forums and find Captain listed under that. And really looking at it, if that's my biggest complaint I'd probably say I'm pretty happy with the new forums.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Not only is my vision less than 20:20 and have cataracts, I have to wear trifocals (no-line ). I can read this forum just fine, even if the charcoal/grey scheme is a bit drab . Zoom for text size works great. I don't like green or yellow on a dark background (shades of the old monochrome monitors of the 80s), but I can put up with it.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

It looks like somebody copy/pasted a pre-made forum template and I've been logged out twice but they are faster!
    Edited due to violations of the community guidelines.