We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Speed difference?

Those of you who have used new forums a lot, is the speed difference noticable?

Seem just as slow as the other boards.

I think the real problem is Turbine's hardware, or possibly their ISP

yes. massive here
    [CENTER][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/bubushum/media/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png.html][IMG]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/bubushum/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

A lot faster for me

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post

New back end.
    New core systems.
    New hardware.
    New load balancing.
    New databases.
    Reduced overhead.

It's much faster for me. Before I had to wait many times for the page to load. Allot of times it just drag on & on. Not anymore

It's about the same speed for me, ie very very slow

It is loading faster, definitely. And I like it, it is streamlined and cleaner somehow.
    Brandywine: Loraiel MIN ~ Gwenifer BURG ~ Hanarae WARD ~ Marilot LM ~ Ashreth HUNT ~ Tamilia CAPT ~ Shaelyne RK ~ Valkaree CHAMP ~ Kaite GUARD ~ Jillisa GUARD ~ Roxxi Manor
    "...Not all those who wander are lost..."

Definitely faster (about 60% faster) and performing better for me. I imagine others with faster internet would see bigger perfomance improvements though seeing as I'm in Australia on 8MB/s internet (which is fast for where I am).
    Also, pages load on the first time now. x3

Loading faster and not having to click links three times to get things to the page I want.

There were times on the old forums when people were talking about how slow it was and I wasn't experiencing it. Then, some days it was really slow for me and other days it wasn't. Some days I'd get logged out and most days I wouldn't while others were getting logged out multiple times a day. This was one of those your mileage may vary situations.
    R.I.P. Big E

Working faster for me too in everything that I do. I even changed the displayed posts per page to a higher number and the threads still load quite faster.

It's like night and day compared to the old forum.

I like the new forums how I only have to click once to open up the dev tracker... It's nice not having to click 3-4 times to get the window to update like in the old forums
    Westhalian-Firefoot, Vyspark-Crickhollow, I'm not quite 1337 but I'm close...1336
    [URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info385-PredictInGameTime.html"]Predict In-Game Time[/URL] plugin
    "Community is all of us together. As the current community, we have a huge opportunity to <transform teh nuubs into our awesomeness>" - Clover (paraphrased)

Noticeably faster for me. And I do love the new look. Shame about some of the features that had to be culled, but worth it, IMHO.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --J.R.R. Tolkien (Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring)

It's *way* faster than it was before, easily twice as fast on all pages, and I've yet to see the 15+ second loading times you could get on the old forums on occasion. The speed, the secure logins, the support for wide displays, and the fact that I'm no longer logged out due to bugs are all really great.

Streamlining the menus up top, dumping the slow/boated/half-broken character sigs, and getting rid of a bunch of forums are good too IMO.

On the "not-great-to-downright-annoying" side:

• The "Underground Style" theme they bought isn't all that attractive, IMO. I realize they didn't want to spend the time and $$ to do full custom theming, but there almost certainly has to be something better available than "shades of dark grey with glaring orange buttons" (although it might cost more than $35).
    • Logging people out after a mere 45 minutes of inactivity is just obnoxious, and so is refusing to let the browser remember our credentials. I can make those decisions for myself, thanks. An "auto-refresh" extension and a minor hack on the login page with Chrome developer tools solved both issues for me, but that's not very friendly for a typical poster.

Khafar

Yes, it's MUCH faster than before. It was not uncommon at all having to wait +15 seconds when clicking some topic before it opened, now I just click and it opens immediately. THIS is how forums should work, so as for performance, I am very happy!

New forums are loading much faster for me. And, I can once again open several threads (in their own tabs, of course) at the same time without logging me out. Very much appreciated. That was one thing I really missed (that and the performance/speed).
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

Significantly faster.

Now if they could only do the same for the in-game store ......
    TANSTAAFL

Much faster for me. Probably the problem is your hardware or ISP.

To the OP:
    From the usual 25 seconds loading time of old forums to an outstanding 2 seconds to load now.

The new forums are way faster, it's probably YOUR hardware or your ISP. :P
    Saelyth is not forgotten...

So far, it's going smooth for me.

On the old forum, I was like: click forum, get sent back to forum list, click forum get sent back to forum list, click forum, click thread, with each page frequently stalling for up to a minute or two in the process. I was also invariably logged out in between clicking reply to a post and posting the reply, I would lose my post, have to login again, which for some reason would send me back to the login page even though logged in again, then I'd have to find the forum & thread I was trying to reply to again, all the while praying the forum would not stall on me forever. That was a royal pain in the bottom.

Edit: Can't see an option on the new forums to stay logged in though, which, erm, is annoying.
    [size=1]Freeps (Snowbourn): [b]Equanor (R11 MNS)[/b] - Equendil - Orlo - Equadoc - Quaolin - Oshia - Kaolin - Equaric - Equorn
    Creeps (Snowbourn): Veloch (R9 RVR) - Velrow (R10 BA) - Velkro - Oruk - Velrot - Velreth
    Author of the [url=http://tiny.cc/2zm50w]Legendary Item Planner[/url], [url=http://tiny.cc/m1m50w]Bootstrap[/url] and [url=http://tiny.cc/41m50w]Baruk[/url] plugins.[/size]

Much, much faster. Things load on one click, and quickly. I have no complaints about speed at all. Those who are having speed issues I think it's on their end this time, afraid to say. If it's still only this website, clearing the cache may help? I am unsure.

@the other poster, there is no option to stay logged on, nor ability to stay logged in for longer than 45 minutes, nor the ability to save your info because of 'security reasons'. You know, because we're not responsible enough with our own information

As Khafar mentioned, there are ways around this. I will be looking into it myself because I don't need a website as inconsequential as lotro (as opposed to a banking website) telling me what is best for me rather than letting me make the decision for myself

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Definitely seems a lot more responsive and quicker to load the pages now. Do the people who can't notice a difference have very old PCs or a slow internet connection (such as dial-up)?

Compared to the old one, its definitely faster. Compared to other fora I frequent, it is on par or marginally faster. However at the cost that THIS forum now offers very little functionality, controllability and fluff. It appears as very barebone.

There is a definite marked improvement, thanks Sapience and the others who put in the hard work.

Instead of clicking on a thread link and waiting 15 or more second, or having to click on the link 3 or more times to open, a thread now loads in about 2 seconds and takes me right to the correct place! I like it so much that I may actually start replying to threads I do wish that I wouldn't have to type in my username every single time but it's a minor inconvenience.
    The Lonely Mountain Band
    :: Lhinnthel :: Laerelwen :: Wrenlhin :: Avlina :: Briare :: Iaroel... and many more (=
    Far Apart, Never Alone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast