We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Summerfest Fishing Quests bugged? (8 minutes of Goldfish and Weeds)

I am wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this.

After you complete the initial "stocking the pond" quest, you get to do 10 mins of fishing in Hobbiton, and 20 min of fishing each in Thorin's Hall, Celondim, and Bree. I have noticed that the 10 mins of fishing in Hobbiton is pretty awesome. You catch a good amount of Festival fish and very few goldfish and weeds.

However, in the 3 areas for the 20 minute fishing quests, there always seems to be this 8 minute period of catching nothing but goldfish and weeds. It goes something like, 8 minutes of goldfish and weeds, 4 minutes of Festival fish with a couple of weeds/goldfish, then the 8 minutes of nothing but goldfish and weeds again.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post

After you complete the initial "stocking the pond" quest, you get to do 10 mins of fishing in Hobbiton, and 20 min of fishing each in Thorin's Hall, Celondim, and Bree. I have noticed that the 10 mins of fishing in Hobbiton is pretty awesome. You catch a good amount of Festival fish and very few goldfish and weeds.

However, in the 3 areas for the 20 minute fishing quests, there always seems to be this 8 minute period of catching nothing but goldfish and weeds. It goes something like, 8 minutes of goldfish and weeds, 4 minutes of Festival fish with a couple of weeds/goldfish, then the 8 minutes of nothing but goldfish and weeds again.

Anyone else?
    I am having the same issue on my toons as well, it is frustrating!!!
    :)

I did not think about it, and have only done the fishing quests once so far, but there was definitely a period in the Thorin's Hall quest where I stopped getting festival fish and got Goldfish instead.

About to do that one again so will check.

Happened to me late last night.

Anyone else?
    I have found that to be the case in both Celendim and Bree but Thorin's Hall is pretty decent especially by the stairs leading into the water.

Anyone else?

I'm not catching much of anything either on any of the 20 minute quests, so I quit doing them. The 10 minute in Hobbiton is fine though.

In general I've always caught fewer fish in Bree and Ered Luin than I did in the Shire and I believe I have an explanation for this.

First of all, the reason you're catching the fish in Bree and Ered Luin spots is to bring the fish to the Shire for the festival fishing. This means the Shire fishing spot is overstocked with a lot of different fish so you're more likely to be able to catch fish there and therefore Turbine increased the chances of catching fish, especially since you can catch any fish there. The other three locations are just normal fishing spots which haven't been stocked so the "normal" fishing catch rate would apply to them.

More often than not my experience is that I'll catch as many fish in Bree and Ered Luin that I do in the Shire since the fishing interval is 20 minutes in those places compared to the 10 minutes in the Shire.

The main character I did the fishing quests on with this year was close to maxing out fishing and used the horseshoe while fishing so I may have seen higher than normal numbers of fish. He actually maxed out fishing the last time I took him out which was also the time he finally finished the rare fish deed. I do not know if fishing proficiency or even the horseshoe help for the quests but that's how I decided to fish. I'm currently starting another character on the fishing quests but only had time to run through the initial quest to run to each of the three other fishing holes to catch 3 fish each and then the 10 minute Shire fishing quest. I plan to run through the other three fishing spots for 20 minutes each later. I'll try to keep an eye on my catches to see how things turn out since this character has very low fishing proficiency but does have the horseshoe.

All that said, the previous character I did the fishing quests with had some very streaky luck with regards to fishing. The very first day I did the fishing quest in the Shire this year I caught five Starry Flounders from the Shire. The previous year I had done the quests I had only caught three of them total. Then I went a few days without catching one and finally got the last two. At the other fishing holes my luck with even normal fish was very streaky. There were times I would fish and catch no festival fish for several minutes at a time and other times I would get up to ten fish and rare fish in a row. I've had times where I would almost match the catch rate you would see in the Shire.

For the most part I think we're just seeing the streaky luck of the RNG with regards to fishing in these quests overall. However, there is definitely a better chance to catch festival fish in the Shire than the other three fishing spots. Based on my observations the chance to catch fish in the Shire fishing spot is about twice what you'll see at the other fishing spots.

Quote Originally Posted by DrnknElf View Post
    In general I've always caught fewer fish in Bree and Ered Luin than I did in the Shire and I believe I have an explanation for this.

First of all, the reason you're catching the fish in Bree and Ered Luin spots is to bring the fish to the Shire for the festival fishing. This means the Shire fishing spot is overstocked with a lot of different fish so you're more likely to be able to catch fish there and therefore Turbine increased the chances of catching fish, especially since you can catch any fish there. The other three locations are just normal fishing spots which haven't been stocked so the "normal" fishing catch rate would apply to them.

More often than not my experience is that I'll catch as many fish in Bree and Ered Luin that I do in the Shire since the fishing interval is 20 minutes in those places compared to the 10 minutes in the Shire.

The main character I did the fishing quests on with this year was close to maxing out fishing and used the horseshoe while fishing so I may have seen higher than normal numbers of fish. He actually maxed out fishing the last time I took him out which was also the time he finally finished the rare fish deed. I do not know if fishing proficiency or even the horseshoe help for the quests but that's how I decided to fish. I'm currently starting another character on the fishing quests but only had time to run through the initial quest to run to each of the three other fishing holes to catch 3 fish each and then the 10 minute Shire fishing quest. I plan to run through the other three fishing spots for 20 minutes each later. I'll try to keep an eye on my catches to see how things turn out since this character has very low fishing proficiency but does have the horseshoe.

All that said, the previous character I did the fishing quests with had some very streaky luck with regards to fishing. The very first day I did the fishing quest in the Shire this year I caught five Starry Flounders from the Shire. The previous year I had done the quests I had only caught three of them total. Then I went a few days without catching one and finally got the last two. At the other fishing holes my luck with even normal fish was very streaky. There were times I would fish and catch no festival fish for several minutes at a time and other times I would get up to ten fish and rare fish in a row. I've had times where I would almost match the catch rate you would see in the Shire.

For the most part I think we're just seeing the streaky luck of the RNG with regards to fishing in these quests overall. However, there is definitely a better chance to catch festival fish in the Shire than the other three fishing spots. Based on my observations the chance to catch fish in the Shire fishing spot is about twice what you'll see at the other fishing spots.
    Thanks for your feedback. And I think a lot of what you say makes sense, however, if it were just the RNG thing why is there always an 8 minute period of no festival fish caught, followed by 4 minutes of festival fish caught? Do you know what I am saying? That's not random. I noticed this the very first time I did it when the Festival started, and have marked it on every attempt since. I am also doing it on 3 different characters with varying degree of fishing skill. They all experience this same 8 minute period of no Festival fish catching.

Thanks for your feedback. And I think a lot of what you say makes sense, however, if it were just the RNG thing why is there always an 8 minute period of no festival fish caught, followed by 4 minutes of festival fish caught? Do you know what I am saying? That's not random. I noticed this the very first time I did it when the Festival started, and have marked it on every attempt since. I am also doing it on 3 different characters with varying degree of fishing skill. They all experience this same 8 minute period of no Festival fish catching.
    I have no experience of anything similar to what you're seeing. When I was doing the fishing quest earlier today in Thorin's Hall I had a single festival fish for the first five minutes of fishing but for the next fifteen minutes I ended up with 14 or 15 of the Amberjacks and 2 of the rare fish. That's a bit above average for me for the total 20 minute period but it's actually the closest I have experienced to what you're talking about.

My normal fishing sessions are just hit and miss depending on what the RNG throws my way. Sometimes the fish will come along steadily with a few weeds or goldfish in between each one whereas other times I'll go for quite a few catches before I get anything and then get several festival fish in a row. I have no explanation at all of your experience.

I average 10 ~14 fish from each location. I always finish in The Shire since you can catch all the fish there - makes it easy to cash in the barter fish. Because of the shorter fishing time and ability to catch all/any of the fish in The Shire, it just seems like the other locations are bugged when you compare to The Shire.

i did fishing in all areas, with 2 toons, daily, on each location, full time period with the horseshoe.
    Every time i got the period with not catching anything, pretty long one. After that, i get fish after fish after fish. BUt the empty period is bigger.
    So yes, is not nice. Also is lot of time consuming
    Andracy - Mns; Andrady - RK; Andrac - Hnt; Andracya - Brg; Gabytza - LM; Anduta - Warden
    Officer of Rangers of Eriador / Snowbourne

I haven't seen it swing unusually in one direction or the other (i.e. junk catches vs. festival fish). Statistically speaking, sure you can have a run of bad luck or good luck that lasts for a significant percentage of the total fishing time. I don't know what probabilities are programmed in -- i.e. that you'll catch a luillim vs. a celebhal vs. a goldfish or weeds. But it's like flipping a coin, even though the chances on any given flip are 50/50, that does not preclude a stretch of flipping heads several times in a row.
    Landroval: Ardgytha/Cap - Burnet/Guard - Fernwithy/Burg - Maethanir/Hunt
    Elendilmir: Mithildir/Guard - Finnur/Champ - Sweetbriar/Hunt

I feel like the fishing has been broken somewhat in the adjustment from last year.
    I understand closing the forever fish gap (which I adored) in the quest, but someone messed up the fish ratio/chances.
    Another RNG whine true.
    But especially at Thorins one can catch very little usefull fish.
    Last night after 13 weed/goldfish in a row, I got a real one, then after that 3 more weeds. So I left.
    Fishing for tokens is no longer worth the time (20 mins to get one token's worth of fish, maybe.), except for the ten minutes at hobbiton where the percentages don't seem so dismal.

Reme
    mber, it is a game.

For me, the results are *very* different across about half a dozen characters. Two of my characters of the Man race collect way more Amberjacks than the other characters, the third Man however is rather unlucky compared to his brethren. It seems like the characters have got their own individual 'share of luck' respectively, albeit I have no idea why or how this is possible.

Greetings, Polymachos

I think the quest is broken. I caught 5 festival fish in about 5 hours, total.
    So I went to change the fish for festival medals - that didn't count apparently.
    Contacted support, they will only help if I am online when they contact me.
    This has made the whole summer festival frustrating for me.

Have to say something is off as well....

I have fished nearly every day of festival so far. (Today being the 9th day of festival.) I fish aggressively...meaning I don't miss fish often and recast as soon as cool down is over etc. I have the Rohan fishing rod and the horseshoe. I missed 2 days due to a family weekend.

My count as of the completion of today's fishing the ponds...

Starry Flounder 7
    Golden Redfish 9
    Silver Haddock 3
    Celebhal 10

Things missing from these counts...I went 3 days straight with only 1 rare fish from all the ponds. I caught my first silver haddock in 7 days this morning. I caught my first golden redfish in 6 days this morning. I can't help but think that is a bit on the broken side.

I understand that this is a % thing, based on a random number generator. I realize that this is suppose to be a selective deed to reward the faithful vs. the casual. But folks, where this is, lets face it, a social deed, it should be relatively easy to complete for any casual player that is hitting the festival events in passing, and should be a slam dunk for a faithful player that hits it nearly daily. Especially where this is a yearly event with a limited time to do it in.

I have dedicated an hour and a half of distraction from my other daily grinds. I have been committed to it. I have done the same or more than other people on the server. Yet, with a few days left in festival, here I am facing not completing the deed...even though I have put in nearly the maximum allowed time.

Pardon me for whining, because I know I am. I just feel festival is suppose to be about having fun. A celebration of swag. I have always felt a guarantee of X rewards for doing Y tasks. Its part of what makes festivals great. I have always felt festival's design to be a successful distraction from the random spawn loot drops, rolling on raid items, etc. where players are victims of probability in the game, getting kicked in the teeth by random rolls. So, it bothers me to get a deed in my log, that will now probably sit, festering, uncompleted, for an entire year. An ever present reminder of how I couldn't finish a deed because I put in nearly all the time possible, but "rolled" poorly. Hopefully, I will get a streak of luck in the remaining days and this won't be the case. Considering the pattern of the last few days, I am not hopeful.

Development team, even though I know its too late, please turn up the spawn rates, this is a silly hill to die on over a social deed occurring during an event with limited time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000ca67c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Eluthael View Post
    I think the quest is broken. I caught 5 festival fish in about 5 hours, total.
    So I went to change the fish for festival medals - that didn't count apparently.
    Contacted support, they will only help if I am online when they contact me.
    This has made the whole summer festival frustrating for me.
    Thought I'd let you know the intent is for only caught fish to advance your fishing hobby deeds such as 'Rare Fish'.
    The only purpose for 'exchanging to fish' is to get some items which require you have fish to buy them.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

I currently have 11 characters working on the Summer Festival fishing quests. One has completed Rare Fish, two are close, and two more may finish this year. I almost always duel box when I fish. I have 5 characters with horseshoes and three with a 200 fishing skill. While I have not kept count, I have probably completed over 100 individual fishing quests this year. I have seen novice fishers walk away with 4 rare fish, and highly skilled fishers walk away with none. I have seen losing streaks lasting 8, 10, perhaps even 12 minutes, sometimes repeatedly. If fishing skill or the horseshoe confers any benefit, only detailed record keeping will reveal the small bonus.

To summarize, random chance is random. I know that offers little comfort, and defies our human inclination for pattern recognition, but no more detailed explanation is required to explain the results.

I've noticed this too. I don't think I did much fishing for last year's festival, but I remember catching a lot more fish in the festivals previous to that. I took a screenshot of my first try at fishing this year:

That's 18 casts in a row with nothing. I gotta say...this wasn't fun at all. I felt like I was wasting my time. There doesn't seem to be any reason to fish anywhere except The Shire now, since that's the only place I'm catching anything in a reasonable period of time.

I have to wonder how many people have either done the fishing quests in previous years or happen to be remembering things a little different from what they are.

I've done the fishing most days of the festival this year, usually not more than one character per day, though. I have not seen any difference from two years ago which was the last time I did the fishing quests. I did not feel like messing with festivals last year and did very little with them so I didn't do the fishing quests. But again, I did do all the festivals the year before including the fishing quests almost every day. My experience with the fishing quests this year is no different from my experience from two years ago.

I'll explain the average difference between the different fishing holes. The Bree and Ered Luin fishing holes are areas which supply fish to the Shire fishing hole. You're talking about the difference between a regular fishing spot versus a stocked fishing spot. That's the reason for the time differences and the catching differences which seems to be the main point of contention. The Shire fishing quest was designed to give you more fish in less time because that's where all the fish you catch in Bree and Ered Luin are supposed to be going. The original starter quest for the fishing quests tells you that the hobbit at the Shire fishing hole didn't stock up on fish like he was supposed to and asks you, the player, to go to Bree and Ered Luin to catch fish for him and bring them back to stock the Shire fishing hole. Thus, the trips you take back to Bree or Ered Luin to fish are to keep the Shire fishing hole stocked and then you get the option to also fish in the Shire and a chance to catch every type of fish there and at a greater rate. I don't see what the problem is with this setup since it's perfectly logical and makes sense with the story/game standpoint.

If you don't like the return on investment from the Bree and Ered Luin fishing holes then don't bother doing them, it's that simple. If you don't want to spend 20 minutes at those three fishing holes then don't, leave early. Turbine has given the option to get more fish from those three fishing holes to help with getting tokens, rewards which require certain fish and better chances to get the rare fish fishing deed done. If you don't want to take advantage of that, then don't. When I do the fishing quests I spend the full amount of time at each fishing hole which is allowed. I also get a lot more fish overall from the three 20 minute fishing holes combined than the Shire fishing hole could even think of giving me with the exception of the Shire only fish.

I have one final point to make. Most of the festival deeds are not meant to be completed the very first time you run into the festival. It's possible to finish the deeds in one shot so to speak but there is no guarantee you can do so. The first time I did the fishing quests I concentrated on one character and did the quests I believe every day except for the first day or two of the festival. As I said earlier in the thread I had only caught 3 total Starry Flounders during the whole festival. That left me with seven more fish to catch. I also needed two more Celebhal if memory serves. On the second or third day of the festival this year I started the fishing quests again and ended up with five more Starry Flounders the first day. It took a few more days before I managed to get the other two. During that time I also managed to get the last two Celebhals. Since I finished on one character I've started a second character to work on this deed. While it might be technically possible for me to finish the deed on this second character I don't see it happening this year with only a few days left to go. I'll leave it for next year or possibly never finish it. That's just the way things work out.

Pretty much the same experience here, elven Festival fish all but MIA. I've gone so far as to wait until the last 10mins of the 20min to fish, because the the 1st 10 mins are usually a waste of time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003fb3db/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherwax View Post
    My count as of the completion of today's fishing the ponds...

Starry Flounder 7
    Golden Redfish 9
    Silver Haddock 3
    Celebhal 10
    I think those spawn rates justify my decision to avoid this deed. Even hard-core deed completionists have limits.

I agree that there is no justification for the low drop rates for either the quest or rare fish.
    Fishing isn't even a good source of festival tokens - I got 15 tokens from all the fishing quests today, which took 1 hour 15 minutes.
    Compare that to 75 tokens guaranteed from an Ale Association/Inn league delivery route taking just under 1 hour.

The more I have done the quests, the more I am convinced it is just the RNG being its usual fun self.

The only pattern I have seen is that there isn't one. That said, I don't trust any RNG based computer mechanic.

Without keeping numbers from last year, I cannot say they've dropped the probability of getting festival fish, but it feels that way.

If that has happened, it would skew the results between people even more

I've had mixed results, especially in Ered Luin. One session I got like 12 amberjacks... the next, about 3 -- with gobs of goldfish and weeds.

Make sushi?

Another annoyance is that the fishing animations are longer than they used to be, so you can't cast as many times in a given period as you could when these quests were first created.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast