We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SNy-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    By all means, go ahead. See notice in the new version.
    Am thinking about uploading it to the stylish site. Maybe later.
    Thanks for your work so far. I'm using one of your earlier versions as a base (removed your margins modification, added a minimum-width mod suggested by someone else); Stylish and your script makes the forum theme much nicer. If Turbine can't give us some useful alternatives, this is one way the community can step up to provide some.

(Hmm. Now how do I install Stylish on my 'pad?)
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

Too bad the color of the text on the background doesn't have priority. this is indeed hurting my eyes too.

Anyway, I think I've found something that really needs to adjusted, cause I think even people with great eyesight and no migraine problems will have trouble reading this:

Black text on a dark grey background really does NOT work. Please, please, please adjust this asap!
    Country: Netherlands, Current Server: Nimrodel. Future server: Landroval
    Sheherezi's an Eastemnet Cook & Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Milithion View Post
    If you are using chrome or firefox you could install the plugin Stylish.

with this plugin you are able to change the .css code for this page.
    here is a little sample to get the text color in posts to white:
    Thank you...much better.
    Jewahe

Quote Originally Posted by Shriya View Post
    Too bad the color of the text on the background doesn't have priority. this is indeed hurting my eyes too.

Anyway, I think I've found something that really needs to adjusted, cause I think even people with great eyesight and no migraine problems will have trouble reading this:

Black text on a dark grey background really does NOT work. Please, please, please adjust this asap!
    Bwahaha first time I saw this I thought I had messed up something with my Stylish code.
    I went ahead and fixed it in my theme. If you just want to fix that bit, I think this should do the trick:

Code:
        /* reply - imageinsert pop-up fix */	
    .cke_skin_kama .cke_dialog_contents *, .cke_skin_kama .cke_dialog_contents a:hover, .cke_skin_kama .cke_dialog_contents a:link, .cke_skin_kama .cke_dialog_contents a:visited, .cke_skin_kama .cke_dialog_contents a:active {
        color: #cccccc      !important;
    }
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Dear mother god of all that is holy, that blue-on-gray is a million times worse than anything satan himself could come up with. You just made the grey-on-grey look palatable by comparison. My eyes feel like I just stared into a camera flash. I actually think I can see your post on the back of my eyelids.
    If we still had rep, I would so +rep you for that comment

After some work (and a lot of guesswork!), I've managed to make the forums look like this: http://gyazo.com/722a7d30df6e8e8761b57abf233e5cb9

I'm working on trying to make the posts in a thread look okay. Other pages don't look very nice atm. The userstyle is here, if anyone wants it. http://userstyles.org/styles/91287/lotro-forums-light
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e0000001e8838/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Stylish is available for Safari as well as Firefox and Chrome.

http://sobolev.us/stylish/ -- it is labeled 1.3.8 beta, but downloads 1.3.9

Once loaded, you can "Find More" in the Stylish box. ... search for LOTRO.

Someone has uploaded (earlier today) "LotRO Forums 2013" -- the repository doesn't give any credits.

If you go to Userstyles.org and search for LOTRO you get the same listing, along with date information.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

How sad is it that this forum is so bad that people have to install and use outside programs like 'Stylish' just so they can read the bloody forums?
    It says a lot for how well tested these forums were before going live since obviously no consideration was given to people with less than perfect eyesight!

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    How sad is it that this forum is so bad that people have to install and use outside programs like 'Stylish' just so they can read the bloody forums?
    It says a lot for how well tested these forums were before going live since obviously no consideration was given to people with less than perfect eyesight!
    The large and over-bright fonts you are using are equally inconsiderate.

If you are having problems with fontsize, just use "control+" to scale the display up. No need to inflict huge text on everyone else.

Edit: One thing that is very clear from the posts in this thread is that what constitutes a "readable" format is very subjective. Some of the colours people have been using definitely don't work for me. In particular, the dark-blue text in one post is a disaster.
    Last edited by mjk47; Aug 03 2013 at 07:11 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

It may not be perfect font-on-background, but I highly doubt it's entirely unreadable. That takes it from "have to" to "choose to".
    Personally I can read the gray on dark gray just fine and I have less than stellar eyesight. I changed it anyway 'cause I like to customize things.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by mjk47 View Post
    The large and over-bright fonts you are using are equally inconsiderate.
    To avoid being subjected to what other people create using these horrible editor features, try my stylish theme, as posted earlier in the thread, which is now also available on userstyles.org as LotRO forums 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk47 View Post
    Edit: One thing that is very clear from the posts in this thread is that what constitutes a "readable" format is very subjective. Some of the colours people have been using definitely don't work for me. In particular, the dark-blue text in one post is a disaster.
    While it might be subjective, I think it speaks volumes that within just a few HOURS of being live, there have already been a number of user themes to circumvent what Turbine had come up with (failed to come up with, one might say). Not even counting the amount of threads and posts that clearly state what kind of choice these colors where.

SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

You don't have to install and use Stylish if you don't like the idea of using an add-on just to get other optics for the forum. At least Firefox and Chrom have this functionality built in - it just isn't as convenient as it is with the add-on.

For Firefox, you just need to create a folder "chrome" in the profile folder of your installation and put the CSS code into a text file called "userContent.css" - save the file (make sure, it does not have a .txt-suffix added) restart Firefox, and the forum gets a new look.
    The easiest way to find the profile folder is by going to about:support and in the table "Application Basics" click on the button labeled "Show Folder" right of "Profile Folder".

It is less convenient, but it works (I'm doing it this way), and it does not need any addons installed.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    It may not be perfect font-on-background, but I highly doubt it's entirely unreadable. That takes it from "have to" to "choose to".
    Personally I can read the gray on dark gray just fine and I have less than stellar eyesight. I changed it anyway 'cause I like to customize things.
    I would prefer not to "have to" change it and would not have done if it was as clear and easy to read as the old forums. However it is not and although I can read it, it causes me eyestrain and after 10 minutes or so trying to read these threads my eyes are watering, I am developing a headache and I have to give up and go rest my eyes. It is not about "choice", it is about physical necessity! Surely someone at Turbine could have considered the choice of colours and realised that all health and safety information warns just how bad this sort of contrast is for causing eyestrain? They could have asked anyone with even a minimum knowledge of the subject!

Quote Originally Posted by SNv-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    While it might be subjective, I think it speaks volumes that within just a few HOURS of being live, there have already been a number of user themes to circumvent what Turbine had come up with (failed to come up with, one might say). Not even counting the amount of threads and posts that clearly state what kind of choice these colors where.

There speaks the voice of wisdom. Within a few hours there are numerous complaints about a bad choice of colours, the majority of which are complaints due to physical dificulty and not purely choice of esthetics!

Last edited by podgie_bear; Aug 03 2013 at 09:41 AM.

I just found that I can change the settings using Windows 7. It remains to be seen if it will hold my choice when I leave the site and come back, but it should. I'll probably have to do a bit of tweeking, but I can set it the way it best suits me.
    Officer and elder member of the Claws of Abigail kin.

Those complaining about my yellow text will be pleased to know that the information in this thread'

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...64#post6864064

solved the problem for me and I can now cope with reading this forum again. It's just a shame that I had to go to an outside program to do it because Turbine messed up so bad! And anyone thinking that they didn't, ask any optometrist what they think of their colour scheme.

Those complaining about my yellow text will be pleased to know...
    ...that your hideous bright yellow posts (vastly worse than anything Turbine was doing) are gone? Absolutely.

Khafar

Here's a bit of quick and dirty CSS styling to add to your Stylish modification to remove left/right scrolling on 1024 pixel screens.

Code:
    body {
    min-width: 990px !important;
    width: 1000px !important;
    margin: 0px 2px !important;
    }
    .header-wrap > header > nav > ul {
    padding-left: 260px !important;
    }
    body div header nav.main > ul > li {
    padding-left: 18px !important;
    background: none !important;
    }
    EDIT: Left out min-width override for body element. Fixed.
    Update: Removed background from header navigation list items.
    Last edited by Mandli; Aug 03 2013 at 03:01 PM.
    [center][size=3][b][url=http://bit.ly/W7Dhy8][color=orange]RIP Aaron Swartz[/color][/url][/b][/size]
    [color=gray]Only The Good Die Young[/color][/center]

For anyone who's changed the default font color to something light, please be aware that the default color scheme on the mobile version of the site is as follows:

• Background: White
    • Font: Black
    • Quote Blocks: Yellow gradient, pale at top and goldenrod (?) at bottom

Some of the light colors were really hard to see against the white background and Podgie's yellow was near impossible when quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    ...that your hideous bright yellow posts (vastly worse than anything Turbine was doing) are gone? Absolutely.

Khafar
    Hey, if Turbine had done a better job of selecting colours that contrasted enough to be able to read without problems I wouldn't have had to find a colour I was able to see better!

This is not a particular defence of Turbine... however, I find that 90% of the gaming websites I visit are very difficult to read.

Everything from Blue Lettering on Black backgrounds to Yellow Lettering on White Backgrounds... It seems that all of the web designers in the gaming industry went to the same school of really bad graphic design. And this issue doesn't confine itself to the Gaming Industry -- there seems to be a "need" in Web Design that flaunts years of Graphic Design standards and principles from the "print" industry. Not to mention flaunting the industry standards promulgated by W3.

Stylish and the similar features built-into virtually every browser available today are testimony to the simple fact that FROM THE BEGINNING the browser folks acknowledged that the Web Serving folks "had problems." From the "simple" +/- Font size ability found in every browser to the CSS capabilities of Stylish and similar interfaces -- there is obviously a need for such tools.

Similar issues surround the infamous "Frames of Ads" used by virtually every blog site. They really make things hard to read.

Over at lotro-wiki.com we have a running "discussion" over "left justified" text vs "indented" text -- as to which is more readable. It all depends on who's involved in the discussion, which way the "trend" runs...

Marshall McLuhan once stated -- The medium is the message... but the printer typeset "The Medium is the Massage"... and the rest is history.

While digital information is easy to produce, it is just as easy to "manipulate" into a form we, as individuals, desire, by we ourselves.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Hey, if Turbine had done a better job of selecting colours that contrasted enough to be able to read without problems I wouldn't have had to find a colour I was able to see better!
    Come on. I'm in my 50s, and I've had cataract surgeries in both eyes... runs in my family. Turbine's original colors were a bit too low contrast, but still readable. After they brightened them up a bit, they were fine (although I did tweak it just a bit via Stylish simply because I like the way mine looks better). You're not the only person here with bad eyes, but you are the only one who went for "garish yellow posts". Glad that's gone.

Khafar

For those who are using Stylish and might like a more streamlined set of forums, here's mine:

Code:
        /* Hide a bunch of stuff I rarely or never read */
        #forums #forum33,  /* Kinships */
        #forums #forum721, /* Player Guides */
        #forums #forum97,  /* Roleplaying */
        #forums #forum144, /* Player Events */
        #forums #forum108, /* Music */
        #forums #forum105, /* Creative Endeavors */
        #forums #forum701, /* Cosmetics */
        #forums #forum106, /* JRR Tolkien */
        #forums #forum95,  /* Fansite News */
        #forums #forum376, /* Real-life Player Events */
        #forums #forum121, /* Adventuring in Middle-earth */
        #forums #forum196, /* Instances, raids, and skirmishes */
        #forums #forum85,  /* All class forums */
        #forums #forum48,  /* Monster Play */
        #forums #forum313, /* Legendary Items */
        #forums #forum709, /* Warsteeds, Mounted Combat */
        #forums #forum30,  /* Crafting */
        #forums #forum521, /* LOTRO Store */
        #forums #forum710, /* MAC Tech Support */
        #forums #cat77,    /* All server forums */
        #forums #cat531,   /* German/French forums */
        .tcatBar,          /* Collapsible section bars */
        #wgo {             /* What's Going On */
            display: none;
        }
    The result is a clean front forums list which lists what I read, and only what I read. If you want to turn some of those back on, just remove them from the list above. If you want to add some more, you can see forum numbers just to the right of the question mark when you hover over a forum link. "Helm's Deep" is number 711, for example.

Hunter safety orange "collapse section" buttons removed down the right side is a bonus .

Khafar

Come on. I'm in my 50s, and I've had cataract surgeries in both eyes... runs in my family. Turbine's original colors were a bit too low contrast, but still readable. After they brightened them up a bit, they were fine (although I did tweak it just a bit via Stylish simply because I like the way mine looks better). You're not the only person here with bad eyes, but you are the only one who went for "garish yellow posts". Glad that's gone.

Khafar
    My eyes were damaged while I was serving in the army. I have 20-20 vision, but am forced to wear tinted glasses due to light sensitivity. Meaning I have problems with 'colour contrasts' so after trying all the ink colours available, I picked the one that I found easiest to see against the grey background. If it had been a white background or a black background different colours would have provided better contrast for me. I didn't pick the background colour, just the ink colour I could see easiest in contrast to it!

Khafar
    To be fair, the majority of the people (myself included) complaining about the forum colours weren't complaining because it was simply difficult to read/low contrast. They/we were complaining about how it was making us physically ill and inducing migraines thanks to the eye strain it produced after mere minutes.

Here's how I've been coping with this. I've been holding Ctrl and rolling my mouse wheel to zoom in. It does make reading much easier. I probably shouldn't have to do this, but, I didn't design this. After 5+ years of beta, I would've thought something better, or easier to read would have been the result. Something at least customizable. I believe free forum software let's users have something readable.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a1057/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast