We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Cappy tank threat building/rotation?

So what do other captains do to get/maintain threat?

I was having trouble pulling stuff off a hunter ten levels above me when off-tanking a run today, and like an idiot, realized I wasn't using Grave Wound effectively afterward.

Excuse me while I brainstorm a bit here, but feel free to share how you go about it, if you'd be so kind?

So prep is obviously whichever banner, and Noble Mark on the DPS target as appropriate (I switched to Revealing partway through if needed).

Defensive Strike is a no-brainer for boosting armour/defenses.

Threatening Shout is obvious for AoE threat (traited yellow of course).

Then the question becomes, which generates more threat, or is it only an issue of how many MOBs...

Cutting Attack & Grave Wound (perceived threat = good obviously)

...or...

Time of Need & Routing Cry (AoE force taunt/stun, but threat?, also costly w/long CD)

...or...

Shadow's Lament (claims significant threat, but also significant CD)

Thoughts/suggestions? We don't get any threat copy skill like Guards' Engage, correct?

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Re: Cappy tank threat building/rotation?

routing cry doesn't require a defeat event if traited

As Catisa said Routing doesn't require defeat event when traited for tanking so don't be afraid of using it. That and Threatening shout are the AoE maintenance Threat.

Keep Noble's on the DPS target. You're expected to tank not heal and what you put out in heals is enough.

Cutting + Grave wound once on the dps target and if all ok then on other targets when back off CD.

Brother Skills are important as always. Song or Shield depending on the situation. Remember that traited yellow you get full Shield Bro effects on you which are good for tanking high-damage mobs / bosses. Otherwise I'd actually go Song Bro (if you have Fellowship Bro legendary traited) for better heals and power restore from Inspire.

Which leads me to the last bit: Power. I find that Tank / Shouts role is very power hungry. Strong Voice and Now For Wrath are two good Blues to trait in a 5y/2b build imho. And don't be afraid to Trait power banner and have Cry Power cost on your Tanking weapon.

I'm sure there's lots more but hope you find some of this useful.

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    I was having trouble pulling stuff off a hunter ten levels above me
    I think it's your expectations not your skill rotation that are messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstride View Post
    As Catisa said...

I'm sure there's lots more but hope you find some of this useful.
    Yes, great insights from you both, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by D3-Rook View Post
    I think it's your expectations not your skill rotation that are messed up.
    Why? (Honestly, I'm trying to figure out which way your expectations go. If threat building is so easy I'm over-thinking it, I'd welcome knowing that for example.)

I was pleasantly impressed that without my being proficient at threat skill usage yet, I was able to hold MOBs against a higher level hunter and healer without taunts.

Then I started toying with it to learn, having Telling Mark on a MOB, using few of my threat skills, seeing him pull it, switching to Noble and seeing how quickly it came back to me (or how many threat skills made it return how quickly).

As compared to tanking with a guard, which I pursue as a very active experience, I find tanking with a cappy to be a rather laissez-faire process. Kind of "if you build it, they will come", without the urgency of guardian threat building.

Next time I'll work more with Grave Wound to get a feel for the amount of perceived threat it provides.

Here's a follow-up question, the 10s duration of Noble Mark, does it apply to the perceived threat reduction, or the threat over time increase?

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

My expectation is that a hunter 10 levels over a cappy tank is going to pull agro. That was my point.

..DPS builds agro. So does healing..That's why dude above commented that a dps class 10 lvls above you should be pulling agro easily. Unless you force taunt, which only lasts a short duration.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000098f99/01003/signature.png]Truzgaw[/charsig]
    Sokaren - 60 Runekeeper
    Brivlo - 60 Burglar R3
    Mejinboohaha - Reaver R4

To not expect a hunter to pull agro off you when he is 10 levels higher not an realistic expectation. A hunter on level with a guard tank can rip aggro of at this time in LOTRO if he really wants to. So for a +10 dps class above a Cappy.... yep agro is gonna get pulled off short of them just auto attacking.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstride View Post
    Which leads me to the last bit: Power. I find that Tank / Shouts role is very power hungry. Strong Voice and Now For Wrath are two good Blues to trait in a 5y/2b build imho. And don't be afraid to Trait power banner and have Cry Power cost on your Tanking weapon.
    But choosing strong voice means you give up SfW. And SfW is a self-heal for 12s every 20s. Power banner? Traited?? Seriously??
    A single piece of Fate jewellery in earrings or bracelets will give you more ICPR than a traited Power banner.
    Alternating shield brother and song-brother between inspire uses seems like a much better approach to the power issue while cappytanking. Coldfells banner or banner of war are more sensible choices: more mitigations FTW or more block/parry/evade FTW.

As for skill rotation:
    TS every 10s, its a no brainer.
    Keep both CA and GW bleeds on target. Dont wait until you lose the aggro to pop Grave Wound.
    Self-heal when you have the mob attention on you- this is the cornerstone of cappy-tanking treat generation.

An example of grabbing multiple mobs with a cappy:
    ToN>WarCry>TS>PA>VS>RallyCry>
    MC>NobleMark>BoE>TS
    >BS>PA>RallyCry>BoE>TS>
    Inspire>CA>GW>
    Cappy potion>PA>Rallying Cry>BoE>TS.

Only then will you give the OK for the dps to start focus firing on your telling mark target. With this rotation you may even have a target with CA-GW bleeds and another with Noble mark. I save my Routing cry for emergency pulls in case i lose a mob, because my tanking LI has PA max targets at +5, so i grab more mobs using Pressing attack than routing cry. The idea is to spam all your heals when you grab the mobs attention, so opening the fight with ToN+War Cry to speed up things during the first 45s is essencial. If you have 3 rallying crys, a valiant strike, an inspire and a Muster Courage on you while all the mobs are on you, you will gain an upper hand in treat generation. Considering that you can spam BS, MC, TS, Routing and rallying cry while kiting, and PA on the move as well, if the group focus fire one mob at a time you will have plenty of defeat events to generate heal aggro.
    This is how i run sword halls t2c with 2 squishes, being the main tank and the main healer.
    Last edited by Nascephor; Jul 24 2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nascephor View Post
    But choosing strong voice means you give up SfW. And SfW is a self-heal for 12s every 20s. Power banner? Traited?? Seriously??
    A single piece of Fate jewellery in earrings or bracelets will give you more ICPR than a traited Power banner.
    Unfortunately in April 2012 when Ravenstride wrote his post Fate jewelry was useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    Unfortunately in April 2012 when Ravenstride wrote his post Fate jewelry was useless.
    And now i´m feeling silly

Eh, it's probably not a bad idea to update the info in the thread, since it got bumped anyway.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!