We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crafting and Classes

I know that any Craft can go with any Class, but what I'm interested in finding out is what the rest of you think are the best Vocations for a specified class:

For Example, Most of my Burglars are either a Armsman or Historian, or My Rune-Keepers are either a Tinker or Armourer.

So what are your thoughts on what are good combos.

I go with what I think is right for the character. That is, they should be able to make things they can use. I once tried having a hunter with Armourer, thinking that making the crafting tools would be useful to them, but decided later that it just wasn't them and switched to something more useful (they were 30-something and already accessed the superior forge at that point).

I try to envision what the character will be like, their personality, goals, and so forth. And then pick a crafting vocation that goes along with that. Sometimes I have it picked before I even start the character, and sometimes it takes a while to decide what they want. When I can't decide right away I usually go with Explorer to gather ores and wood until I can decide and then change it (usually happens before the starter tools wear out).
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

I prefer self-sufficiency and go with what I need. My first toon was a hunter, and because I didn't have alts I made him a woodsman so he could make his own bows and gather his own materials.

My next three toons were tinker, armourer, and historian. Together, the 4 of them gave me access to all crafts, even if the historian relied on the tinker & armourer to supply metals for his weaponsmithing.

My fifth toon was a yeoman, because by that time I realized that swapping between a cook toon and a farmer toon was a royal pain. I didn't want to farm on a toon that couldn't look up cook recipes. For that decision, it wasn't important that my fifth toon was a Loremaster.

Later toons took crafts to fill in the missing guilds. If I were to roll new toons on a different server, I'd probably follow a similar pattern: while 1 or 2 might be particularly class-profession synergistic, the others would choose professions based on what's needed.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

For my hunter which wasn't my first or second toon, I think Historian is good because you can make all your own consumables or woodsman is an excellent choice as well. Had I not already had a historian which is my burg I would have gone with historian. For Rks Tinker is good for making your own runestone but I already had a Tinker so I went with Armourer which worked out well because I could make tools and my own chisels.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/3w5q.jpg/][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img23/9370/3w5q.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I kinda try to make them match, but it's more important I get access to the important crafts first. On Silverlode my captain is a Weaponsmith, as that was my 7th crafting toon and Weaponsmith was about all I needed. (I have friends that handled LI crafting before that, so I wasn't really missing anything.) Captain doesn't really feel like a "Jeweler" class to me, but as it was my first toon on Elendilmir, and jeweler is one of the top two important crafting professions (IMO) my E captain is a Tinker.

Some of my toons aren't too far off from what "works" with them though. My LM on both servers is a Historian. My hunter is a woodworker. Both my RK and warden were tailors. (RK ended up getting switched to cook, which I guess works well for any class.)
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

The only thing I'd like to add is make sure your main (or at least a toon u want to get to lvl cap and isn't just going to be stuck in the crafting hall) is an explorer.
    Hides drop off virtually every beast and scholar mats (in reduced quantities) drop off many mobs.
    Wood and Ore is everywhere, but only if you can collect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapold View Post
    The only thing I'd like to add is make sure your main (or at least a toon u want to get to lvl cap and isn't just going to be stuck in the crafting hall) is an explorer.
    Hides drop off virtually every beast and scholar mats (in reduced quantities) drop off many mobs.
    oh yeah--that definitely works out great and is really a very good piece of advice!

I am sadly one of those people who don't have a real life and I tend to spend most of my free time escaping my dull reality by going to Middle Earth.......that being said, I have a lot of toons! When I decided to set up shop on the Imladris server, my first toon was a hunter explorer. Around the same time, I also created a toon for each vocation except for yeoman. I leveled the explorer toon up through the ranks while all the others were pretty much crafting only toons. That one explorer was able to outfit my weaponsmith, my metalsmith, my tinker, my woodworker, herself as my tailor, and my scholar all the way up through supreme! Plus, all these toons save the scholar are currently master with their guilds! The only toon she couldn't outfit was the cook, but that was okay, because the scholar was a farmer and able to outfit the tinker for cooking.

When it comes to picking a vocation, I naturally gravitate toward tinker for burglars, armsman or armourer for guardians, captains, or champions, historian for rune keepers, minstrels, or loremasters, woodsman and explorers for hunters or wardens, and usually any of the above for a yeoman, but that's usually just due to the story running in my mind for the characters and their backgrounds, as I have enough character slots that I can fill all the vocations, so it's not really overly important which craft is which. I also usually have dwarves for armourers and armsmen, hobbits for yeomen, elves for historians, and men for tinkers, explorers, and woodsmen again usually just do to the storyline I have for each; there is definitely no defined rule for what class should have what vocation.

If you are going to be limited in the amount of toons you have, its probably best to pick a vocation that fits your toon and what you think you will need the most. A woodsmen can provide weapons for wardens, loremasters, and hunters, as well as items for captains and wardens. An armsman can also provide weapons for all three plus regular blades as well, but since they are not foresters, they can't process the wood, so you'll need to either purchase your boards in the AH or roll a second toon that can do it for you. A tinker is the only source of jewelry and can also cook but not farm, and a armourer is your only source for heavy armour and crafting tools, with the addition of being able to make light and medium armour as well--except they aren't foresters, either, and can't process hides. Historian is your only source to make your own potions as well as items for hunters, scholars, champions, etc. All the classes requiring ores can process the needed ore themselves since they are all prospectors. Explorers, as tailors, can also outfit themselves for hides, while yeoman, as farmers, can outfit themselves for foodstuff for cooking but will need a source of leather if you want to rank their tailor skills.

If you are looking for a vocation that will provide a lot of gold, I'd suggest first any vocation that has a farmer profession in it, as spring barley and other food stuff can be very profitable in the auction house. Scholar items can also be profitable, but can be a little harder to come up with the resources if you don't consistently play that toon and rank them up. A yeomen crafting toon, being able to both farm and cook, is a great vocation for making gold as they are extremely easy to rank up fast, given the time and extra seed money, and foodstuff and food sell pretty well in the auction house. I have my yeoman parked in the Shire permanently, and in one evening, got him from apprentice to supreme in both farming and cook, and that's including master proficiency in everything in between! Explorers with their leathers and boards are another good vocation to have, as there are vocations that need those items and can't process them themselves. I've made decent money on crafting tools, as well, so armourer can be helpful. I've never had much luck on selling armour of any rank, shields, or jewelry, though, even critical stuff.

for my Rune Keeper she is a explorer right now, so i can craft my own robes and such for her, then i am mining as well to collect and gather ignots for when i do a guardian and as well a champion, i am also collecting wood and such for when i start up a Lore Master and Hunter, i have all 10 or 11 boxes filled already with scholar items and jeweler items and such in storage box also.

in the end it comes down to what classes you will play and what works best for you
    If you are going to be bad, be bad with purpose, otherwise your just not worth Forgiving

Damon Salvatore

Quote Originally Posted by Grapold View Post
    Yep this is good advice for someone just starting, let your main collect mats and have alts make useful stuff. This also enables you to find more Mithril, Rhi Sigil or Crests which you will need to make that uber stuff! With crafters getting considerable exp for their craft, the alts will level up quickly through the lower levels - you just have to be high enough level to run the craft quests which run through Master if I remember correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    you just have to be high enough level to run the craft quests which run through Master if I remember correct.
    Nope, the go-gather-the-rare-materials crafting quests are all gone. The only crafting quests left in the game are to complete Expert-tier (Tier 3) proficiency (bronze anvil) of a given craft, and open up Supreme Facility access. I expect even these quests may go away soon, since all craft facilities now count as Supreme.

Farmers must go to Hobbiton for these quests; Cooks to Michel Delving; Tailors to Esteldin; Scholars to Rivendell. Almost no travel outside the crafting area is involved; simply crafting a few expert-tier recipes and delivering the results to various NPCs nearby. I believe Metalsmiths & Weaponsmiths still do their quests in Thorin's Hall, and Woodworkers & Jewellers in Esteldin, but I haven't levelled up those crafts since the changes and can't be certain.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by banjolier View Post
    Nope, the go-gather-the-rare-materials crafting quests are all gone. The only crafting quests left in the game are to complete Expert-tier (Tier 3) proficiency (bronze anvil) of a given craft, and open up Supreme Facility access. I expect even these quests may go away soon, since all craft facilities now count as Supreme.

Farmers must go to Hobbiton for these quests; Cooks to Michel Delving; Tailors to Esteldin; Scholars to Rivendell. Almost no travel outside the crafting area is involved; simply crafting a few expert-tier recipes and delivering the results to various NPCs nearby. I believe Metalsmiths & Weaponsmiths still do their quests in Thorin's Hall, and Woodworkers & Jewellers in Esteldin, but I haven't levelled up those crafts since the changes and can't be certain.
    You are correct. I've just filled in the last of my major crafting gaps - my LM is a woodworker, and joins my 2 guilded jewellers, 2 guilded tailors, guild metalsmith, guild weaponsmith, cook and scholar in Aed's Self-Sufficient Utopian Alt Economy.

Now, if only I could magic ancient silver, lebethron and black ash out of thin air...
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Assuming I would be making enough characters on a server to do this....

Minstrel:
    Yeoman (guild Cook) [Starts as Yeoman]
    (usually the first character on the server as T1 flour sells decently, and you need stockpiles of T1 to T3 for the rest of the characters, as seen below)

Warden:
    Explorer (guild Tailor) [Starts as Explorer]

Champ:
    Armsman (guild Weaponsmith) [Starts as Tinker]

Guard:
    Armourer (guild Metalsmith) [Starts as Tinker]

LM:
    Historian (guild Scholar) [Starts as Yeoman]

RK:
    Tinker (guild Jewelry) [Starts as Tinker]

Hunter:
    Woodsman (guild Woodworker) [Starts as Tinker or Yeoman]

You can get all crafting skills with only three or four characters, but you can't get ranking in all the guilds that way.

So many of mine start with cooking until level 35 or so is because I want the easier rep for The Lonelands and Michel Delving. That also means you can sell the non-gift Mathoms.

The Loremaster starts with Yeoman because farming can pass through to Historian when you switch, and I actually use Farming on the LM to rank scholar.
    The rest start with Tinker so you have enough metals to rank all the other crafts, and Prospecting is a good way to get beginning cash.

Any later characters would probably ALL be Tinkers

ED: Cappy I'm not certain but maybe Armorer if I have no Guard..... Burg either Tinker, or Historian so he can sneak to and sell the nodes.)
    Last edited by EmyrSelyf; Aug 05 2013 at 11:37 AM.

What I find works for me ...

Mains: both hunters, 1 is an explorer & 1 is a historian
    .. Explorer: this gives me the ability to gather & work all the mats that my little family will need .. hides, wood & ore , as well as becoming my Guilded Tailor
    .. Historian: this gives me the opportunity to farm, make weapons & supply the needed comforts of the hunter (lore survival bufs, oils, books & bow chants) I guild with the scholar on this one
    .. I choose hunter for these because hunters can move around easiest of all the classes with their ports & campsite fires, and their ranged DPS makes doing their professions more leisurely.

After that, I feel any other class doing any other profession works.
    I have played around with different combinations & have found the strengths / weaknesses to be pretty much non-issue
    The ones I have leaned towards however is this:
    Lore-master: tinker for the pet creation
    Mistral: yeoman & woodworker (of any profession) for my instruments
    Warden: explorer or woodworker (of any profession - usually armsman)
    Runekeeper: Tinker for my runestones
    Champion or Captain: Armourer (I am the only ones who can really know my armour needs - HEAVY)
    Burglar: anything which has a tailor in it .. medium armour & burglar tools .. though I have found success in historian as well (sneak past those mobs to get to the urns & such)

Wyllo
    [CENTER]When in Danger, When in Doubt, Run in Circles, Scream & Shout
    [/CENTER]