We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question How can I find other people to trade with?

Hi guys! This is my first forum post, I hope I can participate more in the forums, since I found it to be very helpful in the past.

I recently made a new toon, a Dwarf Minstrel. I decided to make him a Tinker (Prospector, Jeweller, Cooking) since my other toon, a Hobbit Guardian, was a Scholar. I wanted to try something new, and jewelling sounded really interesting.

The problem is, I really want to try cooking, but I can't find other people to trade me spring barleys and such. I understand that one of the professions in the class is to built to have you trade with other people, but I don't find many traders in Dwarrowdelf. I've tried using the auction, but I can't find anyone to trade with. I'm now considering using a shared vault storage, so I can use farmed items from my Hobbit for cooking with my Dwarf, but is shared vault worth it? Is it shared only on one server or throughout the entire account? My top priority is to find other merchants, but I'm thinking of using this solution if I can't find other people to trade with.

Thanks!

You can try to use the trading channel and ask directly. I guess the best probability to get a response is, if you go close to a farmland, e.g. near Hobbingen, and ask.

I think in-game there is nothing which can be shared across server boundaries, neither by shared storage nor by mail. If you hesitate to buy shared vault now you can always send stacks of farming products from your farmer to your cook (within the same server). But if you plan to do cooking seriously, including guild recipes, you will soon find out that you will need all kinds of available storage space.

I have a lot of alts, and a lot of crafters. I would go crazy without shared storage because I'm now so used to it. I also know some folks with less than four characters who didn't get shared storage and don't seem to miss it.

Before we got shared storage, folks often used their house storage as shared storage for swapping, or they mailed it. Before houses, there was only mail or begging friends to hold stuff while you swapped to the other character.

Think of it this way:
    - Shared storage can only be bought with TP (which can be earned in game or RW$).
    - A house is either 1-7ish Gold upfront plus chests, then weekly in game coin or MC for upkeep (rent) to keep the house open and the chests available.
    - Mailing costs can add up quickly, especially because some things are crazy expensive for postage. If you use this method, you can quickly outpace the coin you would have spent on a house/chests.
    - Having a friend let you play "swap-a-trade" depends on whether anyone is around at the moment you need them, and only costs a favor.

As has been said, when you get to the top tiers of cooking, you'll be amazed at how many bags are needed to be able to cook them all up when cooking a full round of guild repasts.

I share an alt kin kinhouse's three vaults with others where we store the grown and crafted cooking ingredients, cooking crit mats and fish. I think it's 130 slots max for shared storage right now, and three vaults in a kin house is 90 slots, so you could actually house all of the current grown, crafted, fish and crit ingredients in maxed shared storage and still have some left over. I don't know how high level your first character is, so it could take a long time for you to need anywhere near that much space, as I'm referring to storage for all current tiers of cooking.

If you buy shared storage, the feature will be available account-wide in the sense that each server will have the feature available for you for whatever characters you roll on that particular server. However, it does not work across the servers--you can't deposit something on Dwarrowdelf and pick it up on Landroval.

I've not played on your server, so I can't say how others do things there. On Landy, the Town of Bree is the major hub. There's always someone trading there. Higher up, you'll see a decent amount of trading at the 21st Hall in Moria. Higher than that, I can't say, as I still haven't managed in four years to get anyone to Rohan other than for try-not-to-die stable runs from Loth. Someone with better knowledge of the latter content, please feel free to pipe in with whatever major hub(s) are there. Definitely use the /trade channel, as that's the most direct way to get a trade. You could also try LFF for finding a long term crafting partner.

Oh--you might have already tried this, but you could post on the Dwarrowdelf forum looking for a long term crafting partner.

Hope this helps you with your decision and search!
    Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Aug 08 2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Thought of one more thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Witeldram View Post
    Hi guys! This is my first forum post, I hope I can participate more in the forums, since I found it to be very helpful in the past.

I recently made a new toon, a Dwarf Minstrel. I decided to make him a Tinker (Prospector, Jeweller, Cooking) since my other toon, a Hobbit Guardian, was a Scholar. I wanted to try something new, and jewelling sounded really interesting.

The problem is, I really want to try cooking, but I can't find other people to trade me spring barleys and such. I understand that one of the professions in the class is to built to have you trade with other people, but I don't find many traders in Dwarrowdelf. I've tried using the auction, but I can't find anyone to trade with. I'm now considering using a shared vault storage, so I can use farmed items from my Hobbit for cooking with my Dwarf, but is shared vault worth it? Is it shared only on one server or throughout the entire account? My top priority is to find other merchants, but I'm thinking of using this solution if I can't find other people to trade with.

Thanks!
    Many of people have crafting alt to provide themselves. Crafting mats can send via mail (in 1 server) so you dont really need a share storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaming_Gal View Post
    If you buy shared storage, the feature will be available account-wide in the sense that each server will have the feature available for you for whatever characters you roll on that particular server. However, it does not work across the servers--you can't deposit something on Dwarrowdelf and pick it up on Landroval.
    Thanks for your help!

First off I'd like to say that I worded my original post wrong, I was asking if the shared vault storage was a one time thing or you had to buy it per server, but you answered my question, that's fantastic!

I think for now I'll use the mailing system, but eventually I may transition to shared storage.