We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Old Warden - Gone for 2 years

This is less about what exactly has happened in the two years I've been gone, and more about what strategies i can use to help re-enter the game and the warden class. I can read up, make impressions, and ask questions, but what I know I'm going to struggle with is re-binding keys and re-learning the class. So...

Those using gaming mice/keyboard, how do you have your hotkeys bound? I have a SWTOR Razr Gaming mouse and some sort of macroable keyboard (not sure what brand) and would love to hear how other wardens have bound their keys on their mice and keyboards to find the best fit for on the fly gambit building.

And, where can I go to get an up-to-date summary on game changes and warden changes in particular for the past few years? Really just looking for relevant data from the past couple months that I really need to know as a warden, but information that may date back a while would be greatly appreciated if it could be dug up. I would like to play all specs or at least give them a try, so any information on any of the specs would be grateful. Huge thanks to any that can help an old warden out!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019d1b9/01003/signature.png]Zachait[/charsig]

Welcome back!

I use a razr naga for my MMO gaming (it has 12 side number buttons, I assume yours has something similar? On warden I only bind 1 through 6 mainly for ease of use anyway).

I currently set it up so that the mouse wheel click is F8, the back button is F9 and the forward button is F10 (traditionally they would be the browsing buttons etc). I keep the number buttons bound to their numbers.

I then have the three basic builders on 1 - 3 (1 Sp, 2 Sh, 3 Fi). The 6 masteries I bind to the shift line (shift+1 - shift+6), the three double builders (SpSp etc) are on the ctrl line (ctrl+1 - ctrl+3) and my stances are bound to alt+1 - alt+3.
    I then bind my gambit execution to F8, my gambit clear to shift+F8 and my four basic javelin skills (wages of fear etc) to F9, F10, shift+F9 and shift+F10.

Other skills such as ambush, battle prep, battle memory etc are dotted around anywhere from the basic 4-6 line on my mouse to ctrl+4-5 too.

I like this set up because it makes sense from a logical point of view, it is all really easy to access and it still leaves some room for customisation (which I reckon will be important come the class revamp in helms deep).

As for the class changes they have been pretty dramatic. I would just level up to cap to get used to the current state of things without getting overly worried because there's a good chance a reasonable amount will be changing come the next xpac. I suppose learning the benefits of assailment and the way our self buff gambits interact with each other especially when tanking would be the main areas of difference for you.

Enjoy!
    Bels
    [color=#DBA901]Lieutenant Belegardo the Veteran, Reaver-Foe, Stalker-Foe, Blackarrow-Foe Rank 10 Warden
    Skuttles, Black Dog, Rank 8 Weaver[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Bels_illuminati View Post
    Welcome back!

I use a razr naga for my MMO gaming (it has 12 side number buttons, I assume yours has something similar? On warden I only bind 1 through 6 mainly for ease of use anyway).

I currently set it up so that the mouse wheel click is F8, the back button is F9 and the forward button is F10 (traditionally they would be the browsing buttons etc). I keep the number buttons bound to their numbers.

I then have the three basic builders on 1 - 3 (1 Sp, 2 Sh, 3 Fi). The 6 masteries I bind to the shift line (shift+1 - shift+6), the three double builders (SpSp etc) are on the ctrl line (ctrl+1 - ctrl+3) and my stances are bound to alt+1 - alt+3.
    I then bind my gambit execution to F8, my gambit clear to shift+F8 and my four basic javelin skills (wages of fear etc) to F9, F10, shift+F9 and shift+F10.

Other skills such as ambush, battle prep, battle memory etc are dotted around anywhere from the basic 4-6 line on my mouse to ctrl+4-5 too.

I like this set up because it makes sense from a logical point of view, it is all really easy to access and it still leaves some room for customisation (which I reckon will be important come the class revamp in helms deep).

As for the class changes they have been pretty dramatic. I would just level up to cap to get used to the current state of things without getting overly worried because there's a good chance a reasonable amount will be changing come the next xpac. I suppose learning the benefits of assailment and the way our self buff gambits interact with each other especially when tanking would be the main areas of difference for you.

Enjoy!
    Bels
    Exactly the kind of reply i was looking for! Thank you! Do you happen to know what the state of Warden PvP is like by chance?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019d1b9/01003/signature.png]Zachait[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne1 View Post
    Exactly the kind of reply i was looking for! Thank you! Do you happen to know what the state of Warden PvP is like by chance?
    Ludicrously OP I'm afraid, the addition of assailment has made the class incredibly easy to use effectively in pvp, a lot of people have rolled wardens since the recent changes as a result.

Still fun of course, but I find it a lot more interesting to use assailment sparingly and try to stick to recklessness only like the good old days.
    [color=#DBA901]Lieutenant Belegardo the Veteran, Reaver-Foe, Stalker-Foe, Blackarrow-Foe Rank 10 Warden
    Skuttles, Black Dog, Rank 8 Weaver[/color]

I have all my masteries, builders, doubles and other related stuff mapped on my numpad. Using the scheme suggested by Harp (https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...rden-Rotations) but with my own modifications. [- + enter] is for doubles, [.] is for battle memory and [/ *] for stance change.

I find it extremely effective and after a bit of practice you can build your gambits very fast and naturally. It also helps greatly that you can remember numbers for your gambits. For example, EoB v1 348, EoB v2 652, call to batlle 359, conviction 528 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne1 View Post
    This is less about what exactly has happened in the two years I've been gone, and more about what strategies i can use to help re-enter the game and the warden class. I can read up, make impressions, and ask questions, but what I know I'm going to struggle with is re-binding keys and re-learning the class. So...
    Best advice for you now. Come back in 2-5 months when Helm's Deep comes out. Turbine has announced rewrites to the deed structure and a class skill consolidation for all classes then. You will just have to relearn again.