We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Master of the Shield/Fist/Spear Class trait

I just wanted to make sure that I understood how this trait works if I equip it.

An example is Master of Shield, If I use Celeberation of Skill (Sh-Sp-Sh-Sp) and say I use the mastery Persevere (Sh-Sp) then add Sh-Sp, I will have pretty much double Heal Over Time plus the block and parry that comes with persevere and Celebration combined?

What if instead I used Sh then Boot (Sp-Sh) then Sp, do I then have a chance to daze/interrupt plus the HOT from Celebration?

Thank you all and happy Summer Fest 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Nebster View Post
    I just wanted to make sure that I understood how this trait works if I equip it.

An example is Master of Shield, If I use Celeberation of Skill (Sh-Sp-Sh-Sp) and say I use the mastery Persevere (Sh-Sp) then add Sh-Sp, I will have pretty much double Heal Over Time plus the block and parry that comes with persevere and Celebration combined?

What if instead I used Sh then Boot (Sp-Sh) then Sp, do I then have a chance to daze/interrupt plus the HOT from Celebration?

Thank you all and happy Summer Fest 2013!
    it means it provides the buffs of the base BUILDER when you use a mastery. So for example when you are in determination, shield bash, quick thrust, and Warden's Taunt provide a +2% buff to partial block, parry and evade chance. If you equip the master of spear trait and use your sp-sh mastery to make the boot, you will still get these +2% bonuses, which you wouldn't otherwise. Note that this effect only works in combat, and not while battle-prepping.

I have more questions

What about the damage? I know that in reckless mode, the damage from Power Attack, Mighty Blow, and Unerring Strike gives bonuses but do they stack if I have Master of Shield Trait and use Sp + Flourish (Sh-Fist) + Boot (Sp-Sh) combo?

Also, If I use Battle Memory, would i still get the buffs/effects from the Base Builder when I use it? Like in determination stance and I use Goad then Celebration of Skill using Sh-Sp + Persevere (Sh-Sp)? Do I still get double HOT in battle memory?

Another question.

If I have all three Masters of Shield/Spear/Fist Equiped do I get the buffs regardless of whether I started with shield, spear of fist? Example is Unerring strike. I start with Sp + Flourish (Sh- Fist) then boot (Sp-Sh), do i get all the buffs and damage from Flourish, Boot, and Unerring Strike?
    Last edited by Nebster; Jul 25 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebster View Post
    I have more questions

What about the damage? I know that in reckless mode, the damage from Power Attack, Mighty Blow, and Unerring Strike gives bonuses but do they stack if I have Master of Shield Trait and use Sp + Flourish (Sh-Fist) + Boot (Sp-Sh) combo?

Also, If I use Battle Memory, would i still get the buffs/effects from the Base Builder when I use it? Like in determination stance and I use Goad then Celebration of Skill using Sh-Sp + Persevere (Sh-Sp)? Do I still get double HOT in battle memory?

Another question.

If I have all three Masters of Shield/Spear/Fist Equiped do I get the buffs regardless of whether I started with shield, spear of fist? Example is Unerring strike. I start with Sp + Flourish (Sh- Fist) then boot (Sp-Sh), do i get all the buffs and damage from Flourish, Boot, and Unerring Strike?
    I'm not sure you understood my first post.

The only thing master of spear/shield/fist will give you is the buff under your portrait, "A Warden's Cunning" which gives +2% melee damage in recklessness, +2% b/p/e in Determination, or +1.5% ranged damage in assailment, and all stack 3 times. Normally the only way to get this bonus is using one of your basic builders, with one of these traits, using the mastery that starts with whichever trait you have will grant you 1 stack of "A Warden's Cunning".

Masteries will still not do damage.

The damage bonus from the power attack line comes from executing the next gambit in the line, nothing else will provide this damage bonus.

The bonuses of "A Warden's Cunning" can only be applied in combat, so using battle preparation will not grant you the buffs, whether you use builders or masteries.

HoTs and DoTs do no stack. Using celebration of skill a second time, whether it is from battle memory, or manually built will simply refresh the duration on the HoTs. Same goes for using anything from the power attack or surety of death line of DoTs.

I didn't follow the gambit sequence you listed there. Master of spear means any mastery starting with a spear will grant you 1 stack of "A Warden's Cunning". If you had only master of the spear and did the following sequence: (sp-sh) the boot, (sp-fi) offensive strike, (sp-sp) deft strike, you would never have used a base builder, but would have a full stack of 3 "A Warden's Skill". If you were using all 3 Master of X traits, you could do (sp-fi) offensive strike, (sh-sp) persevere, (fi-sp) precise blow and get the same 3 stack of the bonus. Further, If you had all three traited and we in combat, you could do (sp-sh), (fi-sp), (sh, sh) for an unnerring strike all through masteries, and have a 3-stack of "A Warden's Cunning".

All that said, the bonus from "A Warden's Cunning" is a nice touch, but if you're taking enough heat that you actually want/need these buffs, you're probably using your base builders enough that you will maintain the 3-stack all the time anyway. These traits are generally not worth it.

Thank you for your detailed response.

You were right, I didn't understand your first post but I get it now. By BASE builder they just mean the spear (quick thrust), shield (shield bash) and fist (Wardens Taunt). I thought Base included the combos from the masteries. Too bad. It would have been nice to have different effects applied the more combos you use for your gambits. The trait is not very useful then. I guess I'll just have to go with other more useful traits.