We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Burglar motivation

Hey there. I was wanting to make burglar but everyone anything ever says about Burglar is negative. I was wondering if any of those die-hard burglar fans or super skilled burglars could post a video of some neat quiet knife and gambler achievements or bursts of damage or just things that make burglar seem awesome? I'd be greatly appreciative!

Don't listen to any of that negativity, Burglars are in a surprisingly decent place right now.

You can check YouTube for some Burglar action, but the majority of it will be PvMP action as it's not really interesting watching a burg one-shot landscape mobs.
    Eniigmatik | Exploit

Burglars are incredibly fun to play PvE (I don't know anything about PvMP). However, they don't really bring too much to a group that others can't do better:
    • Melee DPS - Champion is better and doesn't get one-shotted when a mob does a 360 AOE.
    • Debuffs - Lore-master is better (AOE debuffs vs single target)
    • Crowd Control - Lore-master is better
    • Fellowship Maneuvers - This is where the Burglar class shines, but since FMs have not scaled past level 50, no one cares about doing them in group content anymore unless it's required, like in Draigoch.
    Now don't go thinking I'm a Burglar hater, because I'm not. I've got a 79 Burglar, and it's really fun playing her while questing. I do also enjoy grouping with her very much. The problem is that groups generally prefer to bring ANY other class besides a Burglar if they can. The ONLY content I never had a problem finding a group for was Draigoch. Everything else it was like pulling teeth trying to find a group who wanted a Burg
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

Psh take your negativity out of here. I'm looking for positive motivating burglar videos!

GUYS!!! Seriously!!
    The burg is the best class because they are the combination of DPS and CC and FM's.
    No other class has as many escape routes and different ways to attack as a Burg.
    However, they are very slow in leveling till level 30ish...
    But I dont think that should stop you from playing the best class to endgame...
    As for videos I do not know any because I dont go on youtube that much:P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000027b6f2/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Frieja View Post
    Burglars are incredibly fun to play PvE (I don't know anything about PvMP). However, they don't really bring too much to a group that others can't do better:
    • Melee DPS - Champion is better and doesn't get one-shotted when a mob does a 360 AOE.
    • Debuffs - Lore-master is better (AOE debuffs vs single target)
    • Crowd Control - Lore-master is better
    • Fellowship Maneuvers - This is where the Burglar class shines, but since FMs have not scaled past level 50, no one cares about doing them in group content anymore unless it's required, like in Draigoch.
    Now don't go thinking I'm a Burglar hater, because I'm not. I've got a 79 Burglar, and it's really fun playing her while questing. I do also enjoy grouping with her very much. The problem is that groups generally prefer to bring ANY other class besides a Burglar if they can. The ONLY content I never had a problem finding a group for was Draigoch. Everything else it was like pulling teeth trying to find a group who wanted a Burg
    DPS - burg is 3rd in single target dps after Champion and Hunter, but to level that loss he increases dps of others and burg has the most effective dump of aggro, which allows him to go full dps while champ and hunter often cant. I did some crazy BfE runs with 4 burgs. Champ could not go over 3,3K dps or they got aggro, I had 4K dps on first boss with no problem.
    I also did instances like Flight T2 or Smaug T2C and died only if it was a group wipe. In Smaug T2C I swtich necklace and cloak for extra vitality and I always have some CDs ready when I need - knives out, touch and go. I also try to do maneuvers to use escape clause and reset cd on touch and go.

Debuffs - LM has of course greatest debuffs, but even debuff of LM has downside. His debuffs have long CDs, long duration, while burg has his debuffs nearly always ready. Burg can keep disable on both trolls in BfE, LM cant keep fire-lore on both.

Crowd Control - Burglar (Gambler) is much better CCer if you need dazes. If you have mob with adaptation, the 1-min daze of a Gambler cant be matched. In some crazy situations, burg can daze much more targets, or renew daze on mob which got breaked out of it accidently, while LM cant. LM can do really nice roots, but roots are the least useful CC. Burg also has the longest stun and can prolong it with CJ stun, which is another advantage when CCing mobs with adaptation.

FMs - doing CJ for power is still very useful in some group setups and even heals from FMs arent bad. Last time I did NCF T2C without a healer (Guard, Hunter, Burg) we managed to do it with only FMs for heals.

I see why groups may not want to take a burg, becuase imo burg is the most advanced class and you need to know a lot about it to take use of all the potential and theres a lot of burgs around with bad LIs and innapropriate traits. But there is no reason to invite a good experienced burg into a group.
    Naius - Burglar of Withywindle
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uYwngjXZI[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Frieja View Post
    ... The problem is that groups generally prefer to bring ANY other class besides a Burglar if they can. ...
    It's not true. If I log in with my Burglar (Lvl85, full equiped), I never had problems for finding a Group/raid. i also get private Masseges from People, where I don't know, if I want to come with them, because they need a Burglar for some Ini.

I think, there are to less Burglars on my Server (Morthond [DE]).
    I never saw a Raid without a Burglar (also, when i was with a other class in this Raid).

Please keep in mind, that playing a Burglar in high end is not easy because of the many things, you can do. You always have to know which mob makes AoE, which mob you can stun, on which mob you put on which trick, shoult you make a combo for damage or heal, ... and damage.

You see, you can do very much and the Burglar makes realy fun.
    Last edited by Barnybarns; Jul 24 2013 at 06:00 AM.

Positive words are nice and all but I'd like to see some positive videos of awesomeness please!

Here's some motivation - Addle and Improved Addle's cooldown has been increased to 20s, up from 15s.

Zip, zap, zip, 15, 20, 15, 20

rework everything again -.-
    argio r11 burglar | trytofarmme r10 reaver | trytoloveme r10 spider | ikissedafreep r10 blackarrow | roargh r9 warleader | trytocatchme r9 warg |

Quote Originally Posted by GrinsgarCZ View Post
    DPS - burg is 3rd in single target dps after Champion and Hunter
    Wrong

Burglar is the highest single Target DPS. if you disagree then your rotation is poor or you have never played with experienced Burglars.

@ OP Burglar is the highest single target DPS in the game. Fire RK is a very close second (providing they have the correct gear)
    [IMG]http://lux-hdro.de/generator.php/Laolos/2/9/3/7/85/Wiping+As+Intended/0/2/1/11/10/1/6/8/8/8/8/8/8.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Lao10 View Post
    Wrong

Burglar is the highest single Target DPS. if you disagree then your rotation is poor or you have never played with experienced Burglars.

@ OP Burglar is the highest single target DPS in the game. Fire RK is a very close second (providing they have the correct gear)
    Well, i dont want to start an argument, but isnt it just as well possible you didnt meet good hunter or champ? I think I dont have a bad rotation and I indeed over-dps many many champs and hunters. But I know a hunter who has crazy dps - i do 3,3-3,7K parses on a lvl 75 dummy, he does 3,7-4,3K, good champs do over 4K too as ive heard. There are 4K parses from burgs but all these are highly suspicuous to me and burgs couldve stacked some buffs before start. Ive also seen a parse of over 5K dps on a BfE troll (by champ), my best result was 4K DPS.
    Again, im not saying that burg has bad dps.

Can you please take the class comparison and epeen to another forum?
    I'm simply looking for motivating impressive burglar videos, that's all. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlla View Post
    Can you please take the class comparison and epeen to another forum?
    I'm simply looking for motivating impressive burglar videos, that's all. Nothing else.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_BpNAeeX0

He's not exactly an "impressive burglar" but he is still pretty good. I don't know about motivating.

Sigh... Just forget this thread... too many veterans who don't care about new players.

Well, i dont want to start an argument, but isnt it just as well possible you didnt meet good hunter or champ?
    Not at all possible.

i do 3,3-3,7K parses on a lvl 75 dummy, he does 3,7-4,3K, good champs do over 4K too as ive heard. There are 4K parses from burgs but all these are highly suspicuous to me and burgs couldve stacked some buffs before start.
    Can i ask why you parse comparison on level 75 training dummies?
    [IMG]http://lux-hdro.de/generator.php/Laolos/2/9/3/7/85/Wiping+As+Intended/0/2/1/11/10/1/6/8/8/8/8/8/8.png[/IMG]

Sigh... Just forget this thread... too many veterans who don't care about new players.
    Don't be discouraged, although I agree to some extent. However finding good Burglar vids that aren't high level PvP or sparring is not easy as mostly Burglar play doesn't make for good videos and most serious Burglars don't feel the need to show off. As a newish Burglar myself (just reached mid 30s this time around, my last Burglar play was years ago on a different account) I can say that although the Burglar is a great class and becomes really fun to play, the first 20 or so levels are not a good intro to what you will become. You either forget stealth and play as a straight melee class or be patient as you play in a slow and sometimes boring style. But once you get past level 20 and start picking up the usefull skills, the class starts to get interesting to play. It also helps if you really immerse yourself in the Burglar ethos then, sneaking and backstabbing more than expecting melee combat and uber fighting skills. If you can imagine that if your character dies then it is game over, then each combat and quest adds a thrill and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Unlike other classes, you don't have to fight your way everywhere, a slow sneaky approach works even better and with less risk more often than not. But don't forget that you really need to do the wolf quest at Oatbarton in Evendim around level 30 for the reward of the +2 stealth flower pocket item!

I know there are threads about getting uber Burglar weapons and they are nice if you get them, but a Burglar using their skills properly can slaughter almost any on level mob, elite and boss ingame with decent crafted weapons (or so I was told by an experienced Burglar and so far my personal experience shows it to be true, even elites and bosses 3-4 levels above me). But always remember you are not really a melee class in solo play, you are a sneaky, backstabbing barstud that doesn't believe in fair play and will use any dirty trick to take them down with the least risk to yourself and if you can get the item you are questing for without having to fight at all, then you do and skip merrily to safety with your ill-gotten gains while laughing at the other poor fools who have to shed blood fighting their way through the mobs. As regards group play, then good luck, as I have yet to find a group that wants a Burglar rather than a Champion or Hunter. Turbine has effectively killed the Burglar as far as being wanted for group play these days.
    Last edited by podgie_bear; Jul 25 2013 at 04:27 AM.

here's one i made. BFE burgzerg

argio r11 burglar | trytofarmme r10 reaver | trytoloveme r10 spider | ikissedafreep r10 blackarrow | roargh r9 warleader | trytocatchme r9 warg |

The biggest drawback to the class is probably the fact it has few aoe skills, unlike the Champ and LM. You can do a lot of things(debuff, dps, cc) well, although maybe not the best. My burg can out dps my champ on 85 training-dummys, with the unseen set. My champ still uses a 2h and can't use merciful strikes but my burgs has limitations too. The t6 debuffing gamble is maybe the most crippling in the game and is automatic with Gambler's Strike. LM all around debuffs and CC are awesome but fire-lore has limitations on use, once per minute. Burg debuffs stack and can be used multiple times. Lack of group heals, except for FM, are one downside.

Burgs are also good at pvp with the gambler or QK line. They can be renown machines, stealthing up to creeps and picking them off one at a time. They're not bad at 1v1s either. I've got a LM and burg at 85 and I play my burg, not my LM. They're a lot of fun. Here's a video of Leafelyn at the School of Tham Mirdain.

http://youtu.be/oJ0mjm1oTag
    Tedemir - 100 Champion, WM Historian(K/Weapons), Rk 12
    Azuriael - 100 Lore-Master, WM Tinker(K/Jewelry), Rk 4

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrcsBane View Post
    Don't listen to any of that negativity, Burglars are in a surprisingly decent place right now.

You can check YouTube for some Burglar action, but the majority of it will be PvMP action as it's not really interesting watching a burg one-shot landscape mobs.
    Where's that then noddy land ? Burgs are about as much use in a moors raid as an ashtray on a motorbike and not much better in pve

Hehe, didn't like the responses you got?

If you read between the lines, you will see that the general consensus is that there isn't many great modern show-off videos of the burglar, simply because the class isn't the übermensch masterclass you hope it to be.

Keep on going, when you get to lvl 85 I suggest you to try out gambler. I've played this game for a 6 years and gambler is the most unique game mechanic there is. Burglar is great on moors, you can easily win 1v2 or more if you're skilled. Burglar single target dps, counter defence and reveal weakness are also highly needed in raids/instances.
    [Juregar/Laurelin] [Jureon/Evernight] [Ragetrain/Laurelin]
    Member of Puliveivarit
    I was a corner survivor

I would suggest that averagely competent burgs can only match an averagely competent champ or hunter for DPS if QK and wearing the Unseen set.

Burgs are the only class whose marks stack, so burg-zerging in a full DPS race is very viable indeed when there's just one or two big bosses.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Lao10 View Post
    Not at all possible.

Can i ask why you parse comparison on level 75 training dummies?
    I dont like the lvl 85 one for its high crit defence, but well - same could be said with the lvl 85 dummy - burgs do about 1,8K max afaik, and then there are parses from hunters and champs over 2K.

Got a delving op solo on my burglar, heres the link to the video. Not sure how impressive or unimpressive that is, but I think its pretty cool. :P Check it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZU8R4QqUyA
    [IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/9l90cl.jpg[/IMG]

First, you asked for video. I have always liked the cold fish videos. I find them hilarious and informative all at the same time. The fish come from a festival, and they're definitely not...well, not a First Age LI, and I'll leave it at that. Some folks use Mathom House fying pans and butter knives too.

So, here's just one. You can search for more with "fish burg lotro" et al.

In my own opinion, playing burgs can be slow and tedious when you are working your way through the basics in the beginning, especially if you are soloing. Though there are obvious perks to being solo at times for snatch and grabs (or assassinations). It took me three years to finally get a burg past 20th level without rerolling them into something else, and I'm sorry I didn't persevere earlier. (I'm an altoholic, which doesn't help either.)

I now have two burgs I love playing: my woman is in that dance between Moria and Loth right now, and my hobbit lass is still hopping around the Lone Lands and Bree/barrows.

I still prefer playing burgs with a group, but I'm beginning to get the hang of them better, and so soloing doesn't feel like the drudge it once did.

I give credit to both some burgs (aka scouts) who taught me some very valuable lessons via word of mouth/in game posts (*waves to Kaleigh*), as well as the Tortoise Stone (the XP disabler pocket item). I try to read up on the forums, but there's just so much info to wade through. I am lucky and grateful that folks gave me some specific sound advice first hand in game.

Now, about the stone. Both of my burgs are part of groups that use the stone. The higher level is in a fixed group, the lower is in a pool of folks who play together with whomever happens to be around at the time. Both groups also stay in walk mode instead of the default run as much as possible (unless a situation demands otherwise). Since I'm not whizzing through the levels like I did before (even before they really jacked up the leveling pace), it sets a nice pace to think about what I'm doing, how to do it better, and what answers to look for or things to try. (If I ever get back to playing my baby Warden again, I'll probably like her a lot better for the same reasons as well.)

So if you made this post because you're on the fence about ditching your burg and doing something else, I entreat you to press on! They're worth the effort.
    Club Éclair-Second Servings members are at 20 trainings or below.
    I can't fit all my Tortoise Stone Bearers in my sig anymore.
    This August is our 7th Annual Month a' the Chicken on Landy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast