We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 71 of 71
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Oh I don't disagree with you (except for the last line which is not justified I believe), I'm just saying that open tapping has been another nail (though a big one) in the social aspect of this game. It virtually discourages random grouping in landscape (and has nothing to do with anyone being unable to manage solo and needing help as someone else on here intimated) and actively encourages solo play. It has now become the norm and most players don't even consider grouping anymore the way they used to. And when you need to kill 270 Salamanders for a slayer deed, the thought of a fellowship completing it in half the time or less is very welcome as far as I am concerned!
    That's the thing where i disagree, open tapping encourages nor discourages anything. It's pretty much as neutral as it should be.
    There is no penalty nor a bonus to grouping as well as there is no penalty nor bonus to soloing.

    What closed tapping did is encourage grouping by the fact that competing for mobs that both people need is less effective.
    Groups made in such a way are usually made out of necessity and have not more social interaction than open tapping.
    And even then just as many people chose to compete for the mobs than group.
    I have never been a fan of "forcing" people to their luck, and i don't believe it works.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    Well i still really can't help you with finding a leveling buddy or really new people but the best people i met lately were in player events.
    Maybe try a server that has regular scheduled player events ?
    I appreciate the positive feedback. I'm glad you took the times to give me a well thought out response. You actually gave me a well thought out response rather than attempting to chase me away from the game. Thank you.

    I have actually never even heard of player events before. What exactly are they? As someone that has played these games for many years I have never heard of this kind of interaction.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    I appreciate the positive feedback. I'm glad you took the times to give me a well thought out response. You actually gave me a well thought out response rather than attempting to chase me away from the game. Thank you.

    I have actually never even heard of player events before. What exactly are they? As someone that has played these games for many years I have never heard of this kind of interaction.
    Mostly things posted in here:
    http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay...-Player-Events

    Most of it is on roleplay servers, but i'm hardly a roleplayer and i'm having fun with the music and stuff.
    Last edited by Thorwyn99; Jul 26 2013 at 05:46 AM.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwyn99 View Post
    That's the thing where i disagree, open tapping encourages nor discourages anything. It's pretty much as neutral as it should be.
    There is no penalty nor a bonus to grouping as well as there is no penalty nor bonus to soloing.

    What closed tapping did is encourage grouping by the fact that competing for mobs that both people need is less effective.
    Groups made in such a way are usually made out of necessity and have not more social interaction than open tapping.
    And even then just as many people chose to compete for the mobs than group.
    I have never been a fan of "forcing" people to their luck, and i don't believe it works.
    But Open Tapping means everyone HAS to rush in and tap before someone else kills the mob, fellowships meant being able to play at a more relaxed pace. Pity the poor bloody Guardians under open tapping, they have to run around hitting things like lunatics, they don't even get a ranged skil until level 30! Before, they could share fellowship kills even if they weren't fast enough to get into melee range. Fellowships knew that nad accepted it, but open tapping means, tough, keep up or bog off! No-one has consideration for others and are not prepared to share, they just want credit for themselves. Basically (speaking from personal experience) pre-open tapping was more social ethos amongst the players and post open tapping is a more selfish one (exceptions exists, but as a general rule this is what I have found). That's just the way it is and it ain't going to change except to get more solocentric!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    But Open Tapping means everyone HAS to rush in and tap before someone else kills the mob, fellowships meant being able to play at a more relaxed pace. Pity the poor bloody Guardians under open tapping, they have to run around hitting things like lunatics, they don't even get a ranged skil until level 30! Before, they could share fellowship kills even if they weren't fast enough to get into melee range. Fellowships knew that nad accepted it, but open tapping means, tough, keep up or bog off! No-one has consideration for others and are not prepared to share, they just want credit for themselves. Basically (speaking from personal experience) pre-open tapping was more social ethos amongst the players and post open tapping is a more selfish one (exceptions exists, but as a general rule this is what I have found). That's just the way it is and it ain't going to change except to get more solocentric!
    Hmm your experience must really differ to mine.
    It's true that open tapping requires you to get a hit in to be counted but only if not in a fellowship, if you're in a fellowship it works as before. In fact the change to making open tapping in groups work as before was due to player feedback.

    So if you fellow you can still go your own pace if not you can now get the kill without being in one, sure it's harder for some classes than others. But the guard you mention now would at least have a chance to get some quest kills in if people refuse to group, before open tapping it would have been close to impossible to tag anything for him.

    I really doubt the people that grouped and took it easy before the change would not group and take it easy now.
    As well as i doubt that the guys just looking out for their own would have cared if they tagged away the poor guards mobs before open tapping either.
    Or to the example of being efficient, if the guard hardly ever manages to get a melee hit in and if people were only interested in being as effecient as possible there would have been no point to inviting the guard with closed tapping either, after all he never added anything to the group anyways.

    To my experience while i agree there is less groups going on, the general behaviour of people hasn't really changed.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    239
    In my opinion this feature is one of the best things ever added to this game. The other is the automatic loot feature, both of these have made my time in Middle Earth a lot more enjoyable.

    I wouldn't trade these two features for anything, Turbine struck gold with these and I hope they stick to them both!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,517
    What open tapping did for me was allow *informal* ad hoc groups. No muss, no fuss, get the job done. Then ./wave or ./bow. Sometimes these informal groups become formal ones. Sometimes they don't. For me, when they do become formal, there was much less wasted time for all involved. [Side note: This effect is one that I like when the general landscape has little to no 'must group or skip' areas. I have never liked 'must group or skip' areas on the landscape. I never will. They slow me down and add unneeded/unwanted drama. Remember we are not talking about kins/guilds where people have self-selected themselves into, er, cliques and get to team relatively regularly (which, I think, is one of the old vets' complaints).]
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nashville Tn, USA
    Posts
    521
    Well I know its a loosing battle but I hate open tapping always did hate open tapping and always will.

    It's rude! The way I was brought up sticking you nose where is don't belong or in someone else's Business is rude. That is how I feel every time I get tapped. I have no problem to group with players at all but then again I don't group with players with more then a 3 level spread and with no one that is getting deflection. Sorry that means you don't belong there, It the games way of telling you your in the wrong area.

    I have not met a soul since open tapping and I used to get groups all the time and I met a lot of good folks but some how good folks or not the moment they tap the mobs I get the feeling that they where just plain rude to me personal like.

    The only folks I run with now are the guys in the kinship I formed

    My wife and I am a permanent Duet mostly Healer, Tank or Healer DPS.

    Now days since the game has got to be so nerfed and we have been playing for 2 years now and we both have 100 toons each. So we learned how to play over that time.

    So when we go out we work as a team not just to kill mobs but to get class deeds done. Since the mobs have got so cheesy and die so easy we have to take turns as we play to work attack deeds.

    Now more than not and this really messes up my warden I am 3 or 4 moves deep in my gambit and some hunter is standing on a hill someplace tapping slayers you don't even see the guy and bam down goes my slayer and with it goes my gambit to top it all off I am using a deed accelerator that I payed real money for.

    Now one more for ya. I absolutely hate doing Borrow downs since open tapping. You can find every unskilled, under geared, no traits slotted, running in intro gear that thinks he belongs in the downs sitting there waiting to tap. Yep the newbie. I mean these guys are vampires. Just a few days ago My wife and I where doing the downs on Melendor where I am trying to build a new kinship for Players of the non FTP version as I want to start doing all the raids and instances I never got to do and can't find anyone to run anymore. Anyway soon enough we got 2 of these parasites on us like Black fly s in the summer. We are doing the borrow wights and wardens for slayers pretty much at level and this is small fellowship stuff. I was on my warden and she was on her mini. Real nice set for that stuff and without asking they just would not leave or at least leave us we ran out of the borrow tried to do everything to get away from these bloodsuckers. I asked the to leave us but no way the harder we tried to shake them the tighter they stuck finally we ran in one of the borrows this time we ran in deep without stopping and waited for them to try and follow and as soon as they attack and they had the agro we ran out. That was the last we seen of them. These guys 16 level in intro gear.

    I see this all the time I am tired of it. I argued this back when it was only going to be in ROR. I said BS that just what the tell you now. It was not 2 months later it was everywhere like a cancer it spread. A very black day in LOTRO history.

    I am Sorry but I can't dance around this trying to be nice open tapping is pure garbage. It just way for unskilled, under leveled to swipe XP, slayers and matts they have neither deserved or earned.

    Everybody looking for a ways to make this a solo game last I check it a MMORPG based on the lore of the Fellowship of LOTR.

    I left for 3 months because of open Tapping, Craft XP and total meltdown of armor crafting. I came back because the fixed the warden making it agility based so it could be played proper as a Elf The Original March Warden. also I just did not want to let WB win. I bought every Meter of this game 4 times. Premium and Proud
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nashville Tn, USA
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    But Open Tapping means everyone HAS to rush in and tap before someone else kills the mob, fellowships meant being able to play at a more relaxed pace. Pity the poor bloody Guardians under open tapping, they have to run around hitting things like lunatics, they don't even get a ranged skil until level 30! Before, they could share fellowship kills even if they weren't fast enough to get into melee range. Fellowships knew that nad accepted it, but open tapping means, tough, keep up or bog off! No-one has consideration for others and are not prepared to share, they just want credit for themselves. Basically (speaking from personal experience) pre-open tapping was more social ethos amongst the players and post open tapping is a more selfish one (exceptions exists, but as a general rule this is what I have found). That's just the way it is and it ain't going to change except to get more solocentric!
    My Friend your words fall on deaf ears. These guys will defend Open tapping and not even read what they write because every word they write is seen by them as open tapping good and everything you write is open tapping bad. No facts just good or bad and that only good or bad for then not the game. I read what these guys say and it don't even fit the game mechanics.

    The whole idea of open tapping is Greed the whole reason they don't want to fellowship is greed. Even thou they don't see their thinking is backward go do slayers in a 6 man party and see how fast and easy it is to to do, No matter your class everyone gets the same then go and try to tap slayers with a group the hunters with have 10 time the slayers just wait for you to get agro and pop the mob and find the new mob that has agro pop one shot turn find the next target. The best part is they never have to kill a thing. Same for a mini just run thru tossing heals and collecting to kills.

    I would like to see how many people that have been here say 2 years or so that way they know the before and after effect and would be able to give a more valid opinion

    The only way to get around that open Tapping idea is to do like me and build a kin of like of like minded players This is and always has been a game for Kinship's and Fellowships. This new Sole LOTRO is why half the content is skipped. Because as much as they think they this game can be soled all the best stuff can't. They just have to skip all the good stuff in there rush to the end. Then when its group content and they can't do it they just say stuff like that a &&&&&& quest anyway

    I have not figured that out either the end game stuff is raids and instances they need to Fellowship for this but yet they don't have a clue how to do group play
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nashville Tn, USA
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    What open tapping did for me was allow *informal* ad hoc groups. No muss, no fuss, get the job done. Then ./wave or ./bow. Sometimes these informal groups become formal ones. Sometimes they don't. For me, when they do become formal, there was much less wasted time for all involved. [Side note: This effect is one that I like when the general landscape has little to no 'must group or skip' areas. I have never liked 'must group or skip' areas on the landscape. I never will. They slow me down and add unneeded/unwanted drama. Remember we are not talking about kins/guilds where people have self-selected themselves into, er, cliques and get to team relatively regularly (which, I think, is one of the old vets' complaints).]
    The must group areas slow you down because you now in a group. Its now the fault the the area it your play style don't fit in Middle Earth. Why do you Play a MMORPG if you don't like to Role Play or like People. Is sound that all us players are just getting in your way. I guess I should feel sorry that i got in your way and slowed you down
    .
    Opps wait this is a game Based on the Ideas of the Fellowship and group play so I guess your the reason I can't find groups and your slowing my whole game down by not being there to group with .
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nashville Tn, USA
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixxer View Post
    i agree, especially when there are high lvl players grinding tp in the area
    You really think open tapping did all that it did just not the way u think it did. You don't have as much trouble waiting for re-spawns because many of us that have been around a while left, leaving you all a lot more room too, but since you play sole you would not notice would you?

    Do you think it matters when a group of sole players come thru or a fellowship its just as empty and even more so.

    Say 5 guys running not in a fellowship all need 5 kills for a quest. That's 25 kills total. Ok now with open tapping and that since your not in a fellowship you also don't play like a fellowship. You asking what I mean we your probably running around like a chicken with it's head cut off killing everything that move maybe even a small fox or farm animal *LOL* I laugh but I have seen groups like that. So u needed 5 and a group like that just killed 25 + a goat chicken and a butterfly because nobody has a clue how many kills anyone got til the not a living this stirring and someone type you got then all. Yep you sure did and then some. Now I am the sole guy coming just behind group mayhem.

    but sure it seen like you did not have to wait.

    Now same deal when a fellowship goes thru you need 5 so you kill 5 to 10 as they might be slayers too ya group a has a hunter and a mini and just what ever say at least on guard. the guard got just five kills he had to tank the boss.
    The hunter got like 40 and the mini got the same and the total body count and the rest got some where between the high and the low.

    Ok group Fellowship all got 10 total kills 10

    Group Mayhem just burn down the old forest the hunter and the mini got most the kills and the guy that kept then warm and fuzzy got 6.

    Which group u want to follow behind after Oh and since there are some slayers in the mobs mayhem hunter toasted a half re-spawns too
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nashville Tn, USA
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    Contempt?

    Where are you seeing this?
    If there is a player that doesn't enjoy grouping at all apparently they are not my target audience.
    I'm not upset because that person does not want to join up with me to finish some quests.
    I'm not upset at all! I'm being curious and inquisitive.

    I'm glad you you approve of the way I play the game as well.

    I wasn't asking for excuses or justification of anyone's gameplay.

    I said this post #26 "to each his own" That pretty much is my summary of players that despise grouping. I do not even care what they do. It is not my concern, because we will probably never meet in game. I was forced to group for many of the epic quests when coming up on my first 2 toons. That was not enjoyable. I said that it saddened me that players like that existed. Mainly because that takes more players out of my overall pool of players to choose from, and not because they do not want to join me. Must I type out a novel to individually explain each sentence?

    I have sped through the content with zero recourse for other toons on the landscape.
    I'm tired of that. I want another player or group of players that I can chit chat with while questing a new toon. So after our adventure is completed we can say hey remember that time we did X. Is being social now banned in the latest patch? Is it a dispicable activity for me to ask others to quest with me? They could easily say no and I can easily walk away and find someone else.

    What you have done to me in this thread is try to make me out to be a villain solely in my opinion to assert that there are solo players in the game that feel like if I acquire a questing buddy that I will in fact ruin their experience.

    It is starting to sound like you are trying to say I want to force people to quest with me. The mistake you are making is that you think I hold contempt for these players. That is total rubbish.

    Do you, in fact, hold contempt towards me because the way I play the game?

    Are you going to continue to post in this thread and put words into my mouth? Should I grow a long mustache and tie a damsel to the train tracks now?

    (edit I have more to say)

    In the last week I had been planning my return to the game. I was planning on joining a new server. I would like the next 85 levels to be a little slower and more enjoyable. The times (which I had stated before) where I got the most enjoyment was taking new players under my wing and helping them and myself enjoy the content. I enjoy this more than grouping at level cap, which is one of my personal favorite things in the game.

    Just allow yourself to see what I am actually doing. My old quest buddies came via the closed tapping mechanic only as it was easier to meet a variety of players using this method throughout the game with areas with shared mobs. I even told some good hearted stories of how I met my lasting quest buddies. I was simply inquiring how others do this while leveling an alt or new toon. Do you stand around in Bree and wait for new players to ask questions? Do you use the find other on same quest tool?

    No where in any post have I bashed any player that has different play habbits than myself. If anything I have not even addressed that issue.
    Man don't let him get your goat really truthfully. I think he is trying to get your last nerve. You don't sound like a man that holds contempt to no man. In my many days in this forum I have never been able to shed any light in these dark places. My bet that even a mushroom farmer could not grow anything in that place so absent of light.

    Now for the rest of you pro tap guys. I know your all never going to see the error in your ways. I also realize before anyone of you could be convinced otherwise there would be a 2nd coming. One of the reasons I don't use the forum but from time to time it's even more cutthroat here than in the game, except when I am in the mood for a good senseless debate. Even now you are attempting to attack this man on a personal level all to prove your point no matter the cost as long as you have it your way.

    Not one shred of humanity in you, none of you. This guy sounds like a great player the kind of folks I am trying to find in my kinship, a great asset to this game. After reading this forum thread it looks like a wolf attack. You may not know it yet but this game needs more like him. I realize this is a RPG but it looks like you Pro Tap guys should be over in PVP not on the Free People side. I think a bit too much of that solo play has made you forget how to treat people. So in your attempt to win in that manner it appears you have proven our point and before I begin to become what I hate I bid you all a fine adieu.

    I see no reason to follow this anymore it just became a re-run and I know the ending
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    Not one shred of humanity in you, none of you.
    You've very grandiloquent. I like you. You should post more.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nashville Tn, USA
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    As noted by my signature Melendor is the server I currently play on. The situation there is not getting any better. I like this idea. Maybe I should start all over on a different server. Could anyone suggest another server?



    I have been this player in multiple MMO's. I have even gotten some to stick around to level 75 even though they wanted to quit at 30.

    Thanks for the insightful post.
    Hi Minquinn

    My wife and I have been playing about 2 years We both have 2 account and are currently established on about 12 servers. and we both have over 100 toons.

    The way we have done this is to move with the flow as servers rise and fall we move. We have are own kinship's and also join other kinship's for group play. We recently left Arkenstone and it's player base has fallen pretty low over the last 3 months or so. Over the last few months as we where doing our normal server rotation with out looking we could feel that Meneldor was on the rise so we stated building up here on Meneldor and sense my main toon even had the same name it was looking like the logical move the 2nd choice was Brandywine in case I can't convince you to stay her. Also gold flow from the sale of XP pots meant this server was looking better all the time. Since we actually played here we had a good feel for the server too.

    So anyway we love to do all the content so the next problem we to find a kinship well there was nothing fate brought our way so the next logical step was to build a kinship and assemble people of like views. So that is where we are at now. Its much harder to find that group of folks that love the game as much as we do or even close but coming here from DDO after a 3 years of running my guild there I wanted to take a break for the Admin end of the pool we just join a kin until a month of so back when we formed, Now get this (Protectors of the Arkenstone) I guess we miss home but it been fun so far but since running in groups and raiding skirmishing and such have gone the way of the DOO DOO I feel this was going to be the best solution. Maybe not the easiest but the best. We don't mass recruit and finding a whole kinship that could wear the glass slipper I just knew was going to be a long hard road. From what I seen here today you should not give up but is you would like to swap stories sometime I use Razer Comms for chat and my Nickname is Rocbourn. I love to chat and my wife is pretty chatty too give us a shout sometime.

    Good Luck on your battle for Middle Earth against the Anti_Socials.

    My time has come to leave I am sure I fired up the nest of the A<S
    Last edited by Fearless.one; Jul 27 2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    Hi Minquinn

    My wife and I have been playing about 2 years We both have 2 account and are currently established on about 12 servers. and we both have over 100 toons.

    Good Luck on your battle for Middle Earth against the Anti_Socials.

    My time has come to leave I am sure I fired up the nest of the A<S
    I would not be upset with the assumptions made by many that this thread was some type of petition to do away with open tapping. Most only read the subject line before posting. Evidenced by the many posters that feel they in fact need to defend open tapping when nothing in my op even addressed getting rid of it or a change in mechanics.

    I was simply saying that open tapping had it's good points and bad points that I have experienced personally. Since instead of CHANGING THE ACTUAL MECHANIC how can I cope with it. How can I go about helping new players get into the game because I like doing that.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless.one View Post
    The must group areas slow you down because you now in a group. Its now the fault the the area it your play style don't fit in Middle Earth. Why do you Play a MMORPG if you don't like to Role Play or like People. Is sound that all us players are just getting in your way. I guess I should feel sorry that i got in your way and slowed you down
    .
    Opps wait this is a game Based on the Ideas of the Fellowship and group play so I guess your the reason I can't find groups and your slowing my whole game down by not being there to group with .
    ????? Yes they slow me down. I must wait for a group, or wait while I make one. There is nothing special about a fellowship. There is nothing special about a solo adventure in a shared world. And nowhere did I say other players in that shared world get in my way.

    There is nothing about MMORPG that means that I must team with or interact with any other player in the shared world. It does mean that there is the possibility of doing that. Not that I must or that I am doing something, er, bad, by not finding team play fun (outside of my kin), for the most part.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,044
    i don't understand why people keep blaming the open tapping as the sole cause of the decline of grouping in the game, in my opinion this already happened way before the introduction of open tapping, open tapping just makes that easier, but i fear that this the less grouping already happened way before...
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    579
    This thread is just more proof that starting a well thought out post is just an utter waste of time. What I have had happen in 100% of the recent threads I have started is posters voicing their opinions on everything but the actual topic. We understand that some of you have distinct agendas. You are free to start a thread about those thing.

    What happened with this thread is about 60-70% of the posters never read past the subject line of the op. Was it because you saw the subject line and just had to defend a mechanic that was in fact not being attacked? There were many posters that felt open tapping was good, some who thought it was a bad change. None of this was my intention.

    What agendas have been brought into the thread.

    1. There are solo players in the game that do not want to group. You think I did not know this already? You guys plaster the forums reminding us at every turn that you exist. Posting here about it has offered me zero insight on different ways to meet players that are new to the game.

    2. Group play is in the decline. I could have told you that in the first post without the use of a crystal ball.

    3. Open tapping has changed the game for the better. Yes I have agreed to that in the op. The only reason why I brought up the mechanic was to show a pattern on how I was able to meet new players previously.

    4. Many players hate forced grouping. So didn't I during moria and mirkwood where I could not complete much of the epic books. I never asked to have forced grouping re instituted.

    If you do not like to group or have a quest buddy etc why even post? It's obvious you can offer me zero insight.
    If you feel the need to defend game mechanics there are 100's of other threads about that.

    I remember not too long ago when posters would come up with helpful posts to help other players. Those days are apparently long gone.

    What a shame that 100% of all threads end like this today. It just shows me that the community has become unthoughtful and selfish. Which leads me to my last question:

    Why in god's name would I want to come back to a game where the community is abrasive and everyone is in it for their own interest?

    TD;DR
    Read the op.
    The thread is not about removing the open tap mechanic.
    IF you don't have any insight on how to meet new players (that's a mortal sin now) maybe not responding is better than what we got with this thread.
    Last edited by Minquinn; Jul 29 2013 at 03:58 AM.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    What a shame that 100% of all threads end like this today. It just shows me that the community has become unthoughtful and selfish. Which leads me to my last question:

    Why in god's name would I want to come back to a game where the community is abrasive and everyone is in it for their own interest?
    At this point you are judging a game's community by the people on its forums. You really should know better than that.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

    Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyrion View Post
    At this point you are judging a game's community by the people on its forums. You really should know better than that.
    Why not many new players read it before downloading the game. If I was a new player reading the forums I would not even attempt to play it.
    I agree though that the players I have met in game are more helpful, kind, generous and less self serving than the ones on the forums. The problem is I'm not finding new ones anymore. I was just looking for some reasons to start playing the game again. Maybe I am looking at it all wrong?
    Last edited by Minquinn; Jul 29 2013 at 04:07 AM.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    What happened with this thread is about 60-70% of the posters never read past the subject line of the op. Was it because you saw the subject line and just had to defend a mechanic that was in fact not being attacked? There were many posters that felt open tapping was good, some who thought it was a bad change. None of this was my intention.
    I guess it's a proof of the suggestive strength of a title that people are going to read everything you say through the lens of it, even if your actual post content has little to do with it. It's the same principle that sustains extravagant headlines in journalism I suppose.

    I would sincerely suggest that you try saying the same things in a thread titled "How can I find quest buddies?" (question = less peremptory) and see the difference in answers. I would go so far as to hypothesize that a thread titled with a declaration as opposed to a question suggests that the OP is making a point/taking a stance, and since we are on a discussion medium that point/stance is meant to be discussed, and therefore challenged (because consensus is the death of ideas).


    Quote Originally Posted by Minquinn View Post
    I agree though that the players I have met in game are more helpful, kind, generous and less self serving than the ones on the forums.
    They're probably the same people though.

    And on a sidenote - I know internet forums are traditionally where people can let their drama queen run wild, but let's chill out with the lamenting the downfall of society every time some random dude's being vaguely sarcastic at you over the internet.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload