We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

About to ding 60, got a few questions

The last time I had a Warden at 60 was just prior to Siege of Mirkwood launch, and the class was very different. No assailment, no Battle memory, no Never Surrender, Conservation was a stance, Fist traits were for tanking, Spear traits were for DPSing, and Shield Traits were for soloing.

Now, it’s a bit different. SO, can some of you knowledgeable folks answer some questions for me….

Master of the Spear/Fist/Shield? So how much of an impact do they really have? They all seem to do roughly the same thing, making all gambits have the same bonuses as their builders. I guess if you are using only mastery builders, you’d miss out on these bonuses, but how big or significant do they really get?

Way of the Fist? OK, so Way of the Shield and Way of the Spear make sense….but what the hell is going on with Way of the Fist? Why would you want a threat reduction (a significant one too) to live right along side a group-tanking skill? In fact the whole Fist line seems kinda weird to me now. It used to be THE tanking line, with all of your nifty group agro/DOT/Leech stuff, now it’s a weird combination between that and threat-reduction ranged support stuff. I really have yet to get my mind around that build. Any insights?

Other than that, all seems well in the world.

My Warden is also about to "ding 60" as well, and I'm a bit confused as well. However, I think the gist is that spear is for melee damage, fist is for ranged damage, and shield is for tanking/soloing. The stances (conservation, recklessness, assailment) affect what your gambits do. Conservation makes gambits buff, heal, or raise your threat, recklessness makes attacks bleed, stun, and pwn in general, and assailment turns the spear icon into a javelin and makes almost all of your gambits ranged. Hope this explanation helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie_smithers View Post
    The last time I had a Warden at 60 was just prior to Siege of Mirkwood launch, and the class was very different. No assailment, no Battle memory, no Never Surrender, Conservation was a stance, Fist traits were for tanking, Spear traits were for DPSing, and Shield Traits were for soloing.

Now, it’s a bit different. SO, can some of you knowledgeable folks answer some questions for me….

Master of the Spear/Fist/Shield? So how much of an impact do they really have? They all seem to do roughly the same thing, making all gambits have the same bonuses as their builders. I guess if you are using only mastery builders, you’d miss out on these bonuses, but how big or significant do they really get?

Way of the Fist? OK, so Way of the Shield and Way of the Spear make sense….but what the hell is going on with Way of the Fist? Why would you want a threat reduction (a significant one too) to live right along side a group-tanking skill? In fact the whole Fist line seems kinda weird to me now. It used to be THE tanking line, with all of your nifty group agro/DOT/Leech stuff, now it’s a weird combination between that and threat-reduction ranged support stuff. I really have yet to get my mind around that build. Any insights?

Other than that, all seems well in the world.
    It is important not to try to compare the current state of the warden with what you remember. The class is so very different now any comparison attempts are going to be more confusing than shed light. The spear line is for melee dps/soloing, the shield line is for tanking, and the fist line (I assume, but I really never use it) is for ranged dps -- the assailment stance. BTW, the assailment stance is really only for group play since you have to have a minimum distance to use most of its gambits. But the really exciting thing is that you're about to turn lvl60. With lvl60 comes Exaltation of Battle and you'll go from being a tank that really struggles to one that can amaze and astound. Enjoy!
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Morat View Post
    It is important not to try to compare the current state of the warden with what you remember. The class is so very different now any comparison attempts are going to be more confusing than shed light. The spear line is for melee dps/soloing, the shield line is for tanking, and the fist line (I assume, but I really never use it) is for ranged dps -- the assailment stance. BTW, the assailment stance is really only for group play since you have to have a minimum distance to use most of its gambits. But the really exciting thing is that you're about to turn lvl60. With lvl60 comes Exaltation of Battle and you'll go from being a tank that really struggles to one that can amaze and astound. Enjoy!
    Last time I was at 60, 65 was the cap, so I had most of the skills. I remember exhalation of battle being win-mode. I am eager to get the skill back.

I kinda get fist being the ranged trait line, except that bonuses to group tanking/leeching skills live within the fist line, like the -25% threat existing on the same trait as an improvement to a group DoT, which grows from the same chain as a threat increasing gambit.

I believe the devs to be skilled and knowledgable, so I assume there is a thought there I am just missing....?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie_smithers View Post
    Last time I was at 60, 65 was the cap, so I had most of the skills. I remember exhalation of battle being win-mode. I am eager to get the skill back.

I kinda get fist being the ranged trait line, except that bonuses to group tanking/leeching skills live within the fist line, like the -25% threat existing on the same trait as an improvement to a group DoT, which grows from the same chain as a threat increasing gambit.

I believe the devs to be skilled and knowledgable, so I assume there is a thought there I am just missing....?
    Again, I've never played assailment or the fist line, but I believe it is an only partially-developed (and partially-successful) attempt at a combination ranged DPS/group support line.
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.