We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Please explain 'Combat positioning' (formerly 'Skilful Blocking')

As per the title, I'm having difficulty understanding Combat Positioning.

1. It increases my Fist Gambit Evade rating - what does this mean?

2. Successful Evades restore 1% Morale - this looks great, but it is connected to the point above?

Every time you evade you get 1% of your max morale back and to facilitate this purpose this trait boosts your evade rating by a little bit.

Thanks for the swift reply!

OK, but why mention 'Fist Gambit'?

The +___ fist gambit evade rating means just that. Certain fist gambits give a +evade buff, War-Cry and Surety of Death being two of them. This trait makes the buff given by these gambits larger. A Keen Response does the same thing for the parry rating buff from spear gambits (Wall of Steel), and on the same theme restores 1% of your maximum power on every parry/partial parry.

Neither the power or morale restore parts are tied to using either type of buff, if you have the traits slotted, the restores will always happen on parries/partial parries or evades/partial evades. The fist/spear gambit parry/evade buffs just help them happen more often.

OK, that really helped!

So it was well worth acquiring the Human Race trait 'Balance of Man' as that increased my Evade and Parry...

I have already acquired 'Keen Response' - but at present (level 40) I'm using 5 Traits in 'Way of the Shield'.
    Presumably I add 'Keen Response' @ level 53?

I now have questions about 'Battle memory' and 'Potency' - I hope it's OK to ask them in this thread.

I have used Goad and got the Battle Memory icon on the screen.
    But how do I store a gambit in it?
    And how do I cast it?

Both the trigger for potency (Goad/Defensive Strike/Deft Strike) and the gambit you wish to store need to successfully hit a target in order for them to work. If Goad/Deft Strike/Defensive strike miss, potency will not be triggered, and if the gambit you want to store misses, it will not be stored. Once you successfully store a gambit into battle memory, you simply click the icon/press the hotkey for that skill (which will now be the icon for your stored gambit) to execute it.

Hope that helps.