We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Perceptions and opinions (Soapbox WARNING)

There are as many different reasons that folks have for playing this game as there are folks playing this game.

With that said, all those reasons relate to some sort of goal or challenge. For most of us, the basic goal is to seek out something that is entertaining and enjoyable.

Now I'm no different than anyone else when I think that if everyone would adopt my gaming values and standards then this game would certainly be more fun for me at least, if not everyone else. However, there are those hardheaded folks that simply don't share my opinions and enjoy playing differently.

An example: While I place more value on gaining Rank now than I have in the past because of the Battle Field Promotions and the individual advantages it gives, it is still a very low priority for me personally when it comes to playing a game designed to be played with a Capture the Flag theme.

I don't really care if we have infamy buffs and I don't form groups for the sole purpose to kill the Delving bosses to gain those buffs.

However, there are those who set goals of not only obtaining Rank but work to gain related titles for achieving milestones for killing their opponents along the way to ranking.

Again, just not my cup of tea. My most treasured title for Gunnor was the "Fool" title.

I currently have 5,256 deaths. The only number that I take any real interest in. There are Burgs on our Server who have died less in a year than I have in a single day at times. Again, a legit challenge/goal but not one I will tackle anytime soon. Perhaps because I'm not that great of a player.

I have what I refer to as a Baseball mentality when it comes to my play-style. I realize I'm not the best player on our server and find my challenges through being persistent until I achieve a measure of success. I don't expect to hit a home-run every time I come to the plate. That's why you see me die, regroup and then come back time and time again until I achieve that measure of success.

So know that dieing in a pvp zone, bothers me far less than it bothers most of you and I have to admit, I get a measure of satisfaction knowing this when you rage log.

Now why am I typing the above you may ask?

Well, it's a prelude to events and conversations I had this morning while playing my Creep in this game and the disparity between what different folks find as challenging when they come to pvp in the Ettenmoors.

I log in early this morning, and seeing little in OOC, I start what I refer to as my Solitary play in this game when things are slow or I've just not had my coffee and don't feel very sociable yet.

I'm cruising around, doing daileys when in Isendeep, two freep roll over me and send me back to the rez at Grams.

No biggie, happens all the time when your solo, so I head off somewhere else to do my solitary thing when I notice in OOC that these two are ganking other solo players in different quest areas and their numbers have grown to three.

After a short period I decide to test Isendeep again to complete my quest there when I'm attacked by a solo Hunter just outside of Isen. I turn to chase, thinking that this will be another trip to the rez when suddenly agro drops and the Hunter disappears. I track and sure enough, it's an Elf. I target and attack. No sooner than I bust the hunter out of stealth, two Wargs attack and the sly Wargs steal my KB.

The Wargs then stealth back up and dissapear and I head on into Isen where I run into four Freeps that immediately send me to the rez again.

I made two more trips to the rez shortly after that from the same four to five Freeps.
    While at the rez, I learn the Hunter we had killed had joined four to five other Freeps in and around Isen and a call went out for a small group to engage them. I joined.

We found them and I took much pleasure when we sent them all on their own trip to the rez circle.

Then the fun ended and the Freeps dissapeared as seems to be the case lately.

That is when I saw the following copy and pasted from Freep OOC to Creep OOC. (I can not validate that any of this wasn't edited or taken out of context so I've changed the names but still, it serves to finally make my point after all this wall of text).

[OOC] Freep1: 'typical creep grouping when completely unnecessary''
    [OOC] Freep1: 'done playin with chumps...night all''
    [OOC] Freep2: 'just CreepGroupLeader out to gzerg soloers''
    [OOC] Freep1: 'meh...when killing the opposing side isn't challenging, i have no interest''

It was after this I learned the Freeps we whooped the snot out of weren't actually grouped from:

[OOC] CreepGroupLeader: 'The group of 5 freeps that were obliterating everything in sight weren't actually grouped, just following each other around'

This helps me understand now why the Freep groups tend to dissapear after loosing just once or twice. A mis-perception on my part where I've been assuming they were grouped and were simply quitting after getting beat.

However, I would like to edit Freep1's last statement to reflect the truth:
    [OOC] Freep1: 'meh...when killing the opposing side becomes too challenging, i have no interest''

Now I'm tempted to offer sugestions on things you guys might do to make it a bit more challenging but I'm going to respect your choices and if you feel that we are "gzerg soloers'', then so be it.
    My challenge and goal of capturing the flag is accomplished when you rage log. I'll take that anytime over 100k of Infamy or higher rank..

Thanks guys, that was fun... hehe
    Last edited by DaxMaxtor; Jul 20 2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Ronnug - The Blueberry Reaver on Gladden
    I don't feel a thing when dieing ingame. The only time I really mind is when the rez is on the other side of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by DaxMaxtor View Post
    After a short period I decide to test Isendeep again to complete my quest there when I'm attacked by a solo Hunter just outside of Isen. I turn to chase, thinking that this will be another trip to the rez when suddenly agro drops and the Hunter disappears. I track and sure enough, it's an Elf. I target and attack. No sooner than I bust the hunter out of stealth, two Wargs attack and the sly Wargs steal my KB.

The Wargs then stealth back up and dissapear and I head on into Isen where I run into four Freeps that immediately send me to the rez again.

I made two more trips to the rez shortly after that from the same four to five Freeps.
    While at the rez, I learn the Hunter we had killed had joined four to five other Freeps in and around Isen and a call went out for a small group to engage them. I joined.

We found them and I took much pleasure when we sent them all on their own trip to the rez circle.

Then the fun ended and the Freeps dissapeared as seems to be the case lately.

That is when I saw the following copy and pasted from Freep OOC to Creep OOC. (I can not validate that any of this wasn't edited or taken out of context so I've changed the names but still, it serves to finally make my point after all this wall of text).

[OOC] Althorr: 'typical creep grouping when completely unnecessary''
    [OOC] Althorr: 'done playin with chumps...night all''
    [OOC] Freep2: 'just CreepGroupLeader out to gzerg soloers''
    [OOC] Althorr: 'meh...when killing the opposing side isn't challenging, i have no interest''

It was after this I learned the Freeps we whooped the snot out of weren't actually grouped from:

[OOC] CreepGroupLeader: 'The group of 5 freeps that were obliterating everything in sight weren't actually grouped, just following each other around'

To begin, I bought those statements; I own them....no problem, and I'll say the same again and again. Additionally, I was solo, as per my want.

Understandably though, my perception and experience are completely different from yours Ron. To begin with, i'm playing on a really poor pc w/ no graphics card atm, so everything is slow, choppy, and unresponsive, and i'm kinda cannon fodder right now, and have had to adjust my playstyle to try and reflect that.

Yes, I was that hunter you encountered outside Isen. Did you notice that I didn't fight back when you and wargs attacked? Lost connection. Story of my life right now.

For the sake of clarity, this is where it began for me......I find a creep @ Golloval last night, and kill them. Literally, within 2 minutes, there are 4-5 creeps there. Guess that's my bad for stayin', hopin' that the solo creep would come back so we could have some fun.

As to my comments, sometimes I have a hard time understanding what floats peeps boats, and with respect to last night, when you are solo, and creeps are calling you out by name as being in a certain area, and the whole server comes runnin', it justs smacks of desperation and poor sportsmanship. A group of creeps coming from across the map to kill a solo hunter is akin to me farmin' the slug pits for greenies. Challenging.

I blame it on the foolios calling out single peeps in OOC.

On the one hand, it's flattering that I command such adoration from my many fans. On the other, it gets old quick.

And yeah, when I feel peeps are bein' chumps, I won't hesitate to give my opinion, and then go do something else.

Shall I reward their weak play and zergish mentality with continued participation?

Nah, I'm bouncin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Althorion View Post
    To begin, I bought those statements; I own them....no problem, and I'll say the same again and again. Additionally, I was solo, as per my want.

Understandably though, my perception and experience are completely different from yours Ron. To begin with, i'm playing on a really poor pc w/ no graphics card atm, so everything is slow, choppy, and unresponsive, and i'm kinda cannon fodder right now, and have had to adjust my playstyle to try and reflect that.

Yes, I was that hunter you encountered outside Isen. Did you notice that I didn't fight back when you and wargs attacked? Lost connection. Story of my life right now.

For the sake of clarity, this is where it began for me......I find a creep @ Golloval last night, and kill them. Literally, within 2 minutes, there are 4-5 creeps there. Guess that's my bad for stayin', hopin' that the solo creep would come back so we could have some fun.

As to my comments, sometimes I have a hard time understanding what floats peeps boats, and with respect to last night, when you are solo, and creeps are calling you out by name as being in a certain area, and the whole server comes runnin', it justs smacks of desperation and poor sportsmanship. A group of creeps coming from across the map to kill a solo hunter is akin to me farmin' the slug pits for greenies. Challenging.

I blame it on the foolios calling out single peeps in OOC.

On the one hand, it's flattering that I command such adoration from my many fans. On the other, it gets old quick.

And yeah, when I feel peeps are bein' chumps, I won't hesitate to give my opinion, and then go do something else.

Shall I reward their weak play and zergish mentality with continued participation?

Nah, I'm bouncin'.
    Sorry to hear about those computer problems, "been there, done that and have the t-shirt". Just an FYI though, FRreavers are still free and saving money from not buying store bought pots/buffs, adds up quickly.. Who knows, in a month or two, maybe you can get those upgrades or maybe even a computer with a decent video card. Really doesn't have to be top of the line to play this game..

I can also relate to your feelings about "poor sportsmanship". Oh wait, that's not true.
    Example:
    I find a creep @ Golloval last night, and kill them.
    Sound somewhat unsporting to camp quest areas with an OP Hunter.

Not to worry though, being one of the biggest hypocrites on this server, I won't hold hypocrisy against anyone.

I'm honestly not upset with you or anyone either. I make the choice to play the underdog and getting ganked 30+ times a day is also by choice. It just amazes me when someone who does play the side and class with the ez-win buttons can holler foul when they get killed in a pvp zone.

Seriously? Are creeps suppose to just line up and take turns letting you pawn them? And trust me, there is plenty of that going on right now at the 1v1's...

Just perhaps your right:

Nah, I'm bouncin'.
    , maybe open pvp isn't for you and perhaps you should stick to pve, at least until you get your computer fixed or adapt and learn to team up with others. This is a Multi-player game afterall.

And one last shared perspective: If your solo and in the vicinity of other Freeps who are zerging, It could be perceived that you just might be leaching off those said freeps..
    Ronnug - The Blueberry Reaver on Gladden
    I don't feel a thing when dieing ingame. The only time I really mind is when the rez is on the other side of the map.

I had a group out a few afternoons/nights ago were a newbie player got killed at gulloval. I had just flipped isen tryin to help them get quests for maps since the Doth group left right as i formed this group. We were headed to gulloval and he got killed and then a portion of my group ran up there and got the hunter with gulloval right before we disbanded. That might have been what you experienced?
    Warisi(Champ).......Rangers of the West
    Philladeas(WL), GrumpyCat(Warg)...Soldiers Of The White Hand
    DocPhil(Defiler), HardCharger(Reaver).....Shadow of the West
    1/2 of the WLBrigade