We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Foul Idols in Urugarth & Tham Mirdain School

My roommate and I were duoing Urugarth the other night, it being the first time either of us had ever been down there. She was playing a level 53 champion and I had a level 63 hunter. Both of us are soloers with the occasional duo together, so neither of us had raid gear or anything like that; my hunter was outfitted with guild-crafted armour and jewelry and decently ranked 2nd age legendary weapons, and we made it down to the courtyard before running out of playing time.

While down there, we came across the foul idols. As neither of us had a quests for them (we were down there solely to try to complete slayer deeds for virtures that we had traited and not to complete quests), I was curious about them.

I googled the idols and came across a comment that said that the number of enemies faced in the courtyard depends on how many idols are burning. What I can't seem to find is does that mean that you have MORE enemies in the courtyard at the end for each idol burning, or does burning idols pull enemies out of the courtyard leaving you with less to face when you finally get there?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a way for two hunters duoing the school at Tham Mirdain to actually have a hope for defeating the boss at the end? My roommate also has a hunter she is leveling, and I need Invaders of Tham Mirdain complete for a deed to level one of my virtue traits, but while she and I were able to successfully do the library at Tham Mirdain as a duo, we couldn't handle the boss at the end of the school. Is it even possible, or am I just going to have to give up on getting that deed completed? Neither of us had an idea on how to complete that deed as neither of us have done any of hte instances before, other than what is needed for the epic volumes.

With regards to the Urugarth Idols....

With regards to the Urugarth Idols.... They are for a deed, and i cant remember exactly how many but there are either four or five of them. Each idol has three orcs next to them, one of which is a captain and so can be pretty tough - as soon as you go near the idol these mobs will attack you, and any others that you haven't killed that are nearby will attack too. Its best to clear the area of mobs and then trigger the three by the idol to make it easier.

Once all of the mobs are dead, scout the ground nearby and you will find a burning torch - one of you needs to pick this up and run into the idol to set it on fire. Once all of the idols are burning the deed is complete. Most of the torches are right next to the idol, in exception of the central one (which is around the corner by a campfire and a cart) and the one by the river which is back up near where you first find one of helchgams tentacles - also by a campfire.

Hope this helps you somehwhat!

To complete the answer, burning the idols results in less enemies in the final courtyard. I believe that as you burn each one, a group of adds from the courtyard starts running toward that idol and will show up a minute or so later to attack you. So it makes the final courtyard easier when you get there in the end.

I can't really say about Tham Mirdain, other than that two hunters are pretty much always going to have a hard time duoing 3-man content. School is being run fairly often these days though, so you should be able to dig up a tank or healer to assist you if you check glff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    To complete the answer, burning the idols results in less enemies in the final courtyard. I believe that as you burn each one, a group of adds from the courtyard starts running toward that idol and will show up a minute or so later to attack you. So it makes the final courtyard easier when you get there in the end.
    This is correct. If you burn all idols you'll only have to deal with the 3 mini-bosses in the courtyard (2 trolls and one uruk), if you don't burn any idols you'll get like 20+ trolls on you once you step through the gate.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

thank you! I noticed that when we burned the far idols, it seemed to take quite some time for the counter-attack to reach us and was wondering about that. When we got to the courtyard, we had only burned 3--we didn't notice the pathways to get to the other two; next time we hit that, I'll be sure to burn them all!

And actually, our two hunters don't have any problem with 3 man content usually--though I do admit that we usually don't try it until one of us is 3 - 5 levels higher or more. I don't know exactly why, but her hunter is just beyond powerful--and I've played a lot of hunters in my time! I don't know if there is some randomness introduced when a character is created or if its just that he was born under a lucky star in the LOTRO ether and happens to have the best of luck with the RNG, but that toon mows through enemies--even mobs of signatures at his level--like they were nothing. He hits crits like you wouldn't believe. Part of it, I know, is my roommate has a good combo of traits for him and has been diligent to keep them up, but still.....

We did the library at Tham Mirdan as a duo when I was about 5 levels above and her hunter was about 5 levels below and were successful in completing it. We also duoed the level 54 flight of drakes small fellowship in Eregion and easily killed the final boss. Of course, that's not just us these days; I have noticed that a lot of quests are easier all the way around. If at least one of us are 8 to 10 levels higher, we'll even attempt--and have been successful at--duoing full 6 man fellowship quests.

Our problem with the boss at the school is that big hit to morale that he gives and the fact you apparently have to be at a certain distance from him--I've tried finding some advice on him to no luck yet, as it seems there is a certain technique needed to bring him down. We really probably need either a mini or a tank or a captain with us, but I've tried finding someone to help me with it and haven't had any luck--I'm on a smaller server and tend to play at times when its less active. Oh well--I don't absolutely have to have that deed anyway--the cap on virtues is 16, right? there are well more than 16 deeds for the compassion virtue, so I can still hit the max from other deeds. I know that her hunter and my hunter, especially since we are now at level 60, should be able to finish allies of the enemy in Barad Gularan without a problem, so I'll just go there, and perhaps when we're both at level 85, we'll come back to Tham Mirdan then

Thanks for the answers! I do appreciate it!