We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Regarding Sindarin Useage

Hail and well met,

My kin and I are picking a new name. We wanted something more lore appropriate, so we picked the root word Thalion which means "heroic, dauntless man". I have been trying to figure out the best way to make it a group of heros or something similiar. At first I went with Thelydrim (Thelyn being hte plural of Thalion). But someone pointed out to me that -rim denotes a race. We are a mixed kin. So someone mentioned we should use I Thelynath which is more like The Groujp Of Heros.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brudy View Post
    Hail and well met,

My kin and I are picking a new name. We wanted something more lore appropriate, so we picked the root word Thalion which means "heroic, dauntless man". I have been trying to figure out the best way to make it a group of heros or something similiar. At first I went with Thelydrim (Thelyn being hte plural of Thalion). But someone pointed out to me that -rim denotes a race. We are a mixed kin. So someone mentioned we should use I Thelynath which is more like The Groujp Of Heros.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
    Well, Thalion can be interpreted as hero but heroic "man" is a stretch. It could easily be an elf, dwarf, or hobbit and could be male or female. May I suggest Thalionath which could be interpreted, according to my understanding, as host of heroes or, more loosely, heroic host. The suffix -rim doesn't really work w/ Thalion and the suffix -hoth usually has a pejorative connotation. If you were married to the idea that it have a racial connotation (man) you might think about Edain en Caun (Men of Valor). Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Well, Thalion can be interpreted as hero but heroic "man" is a stretch. It could easily be an elf, dwarf, or hobbit and could be male or female. May I suggest Thalionath which could be interpreted, according to my understanding, as host of heroes or, more loosely, heroic host. The suffix -rim doesn't really work w/ Thalion and the suffix -hoth usually has a pejorative connotation. If you were married to the idea that it have a racial connotation (man) you might think about Edain en Caun (Men of Valor). Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your take. We are definitely not looking for a racial slant. You're the second person I've talked to that thought -nath was the correct ending.

You suggested Thalionath. Thalion is the singular form and Thelyn is the plural. If we are a group of heros wouldn't Thelynath be more appropriate?

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brudy View Post

You suggested Thalionath. Thalion is the singular form and Thelyn is the plural. If we are a group of heros wouldn't Thelynath be more appropriate?
    Ah, I could not find the plural form, so I learn something (awesome!). In that case I believe you are correct and Thelynath would be better, or simply Thelyn for the minimalist approach, heroes (as opposed to Host of heroes).

Other root words to consider:

Callon - hero

Cherdir, Herdir , Hir - master

Maethor - Warrior