We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I am not a fan of the whole "Children of Hurin" part of the canon. It's just unremittingly dark and depressing. I love the rest of the Sil and Unfinished Tales though. Really, I can't think of anything else I have a particularly negative reaction to. Not even Tom Bombadil, whose character is fascinating, though I agree with those who suggest the "ring a dol dillo" stuff gets very annoying after a (short) while.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhloth View Post
    I am not a fan of the whole "Children of Hurin" part of the canon. It's just unremittingly dark and depressing. I love the rest of the Sil and Unfinished Tales though. Really, I can't think of anything else I have a particularly negative reaction to. Not even Tom Bombadil, whose character is fascinating, though I agree with those who suggest the "ring a dol dillo" stuff gets very annoying after a (short) while.
    It's definitely dark and depressing but for me that is why I see it as his greatest work: a tale of tragedy which rivals any of the classics.
    As for those belittling the Master, I have only one thing to say: if not for Tolkien's Tom Bombadil, there would never have been a Harvard Lampoon's Tim Benzedrine:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim B.
    Snorting, sporting! Speeding through the arbor,
    Pushing till the folk you burn toss you in the harbor!
    Screeching like a dying loon, zooming like a thrush,
    Follow me and very soon, your mind will turn to mush!
    Higher than the nowhere birds grooving in the air,
    We'll open up a sandal shop where everyone will share!
    Flower folk are springing up, wearing bead and boot,
    And if you down me you can stick a flower up your snoot!
    To Love and Peace and Brotherhood we all can snort a toast,
    And if the heat is on again, we'll all split to the Coast!
    Ah, poetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    It's definitely dark and depressing but for me that is why I see it as his greatest work: a tale of tragedy which rivals any of the classics.
    I can see that argument, definitely - I just personally prefer the parts of the legendarium where the tragic elements are more liberally interspersed with "things high and beautiful" as Tolkien might have put it.

As for those belittling the Master, I have only one thing to say: if not for Tolkien's Tom Bombadil, there would never have been a Harvard Lampoon's Tim Benzedrine:
    LOL. Can't argue with you there.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3