We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Which parts of Tolkien's works DIDNT you like..

So we have had an awful lot of threads regarding the (very many) good points of LOTR, but what DIDNT people like? There is always something that niggles away, no matter how good something is. So what does everyone "dislike" about the books (no film discussion here.)? It doesn't have to be that you dislike it at lot, just....doesn't quite appeal as much as the rest of the book.
    My own part that I don't really like is the Breaking of the Fellowship at Amon Hen. For me personally I would have liked a little more detail about what happened to them all, rather than somewhat vague accounts. I understand that the book focuses on the main points of it but I would still have liked more detail.

Thoughts?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Character depth.
    He made an amazing world and cultures, described exquisite lanscapes, but all the characters seem such one-dimensional, stiff, cardboard cut-out creatures (I was going to say wooden but then I thought of Ents) .
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    (I was going to say wooden but then I thought of Ents) .
    I love it!!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Character depth.
    He made an amazing world and cultures, described exquisite lanscapes, but all the characters seem such one-dimensional, stiff, cardboard cut-out creatures (I was going to say wooden but then I thought of Ents) .
    I think you've hit exactly on Tolkien's priorities.

Most important were the languages which then gave rise to the cultures (including the environments/landscapes in which they thrived), next came the mythology and then the history. The characters were simply those necessitated by the languages and cultures and required to move the history along. The individuals, being merely incarnations of their cultures, are going to be one-dimensional of necessity. In the truest sense, it's the cultures that are the real characters in Tolkien.

I haven't read the entire LOTR yet (about 80% through the TT), but so far I can't seem to think of anything that really sticks out that I don't like. I guess the only thing that I'm not too fond of is that when Gandalf comes back his color changes from Grey to White. I sort of feel like the color white on Gandalf too closely resembles that of Saruman. Although Saruman had already changed to the "many colored" by the time Gandalf became Gandalf the White, I still feel like Gandalf should get his own color. I think Green would be a perfect color for him, since it portrays more of a color that has had a rebirth, like new fresh grass in the springtime. Plus, having a color that starts with the letter 'G' goes nicely with Gandalf. Gandalf the Green... that has a nice ring to it!
    Last edited by BackAgainAndThere; Jul 17 2013 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BackAgainAndThere View Post
    I sort of feel like the color white on Gandalf too closely resembles that of Saruman.
    That's kind of the point. Gandalf became what Saruman should have been had he not fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    That's kind of the point. Gandalf became what Saruman should have been had he not fallen.
    Yeah I understand that part. I don't know, I just sort of get an icky feeling when I think that Gandalf's color used to be a color that Saruman had had once.