We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Tips on fighting 3+ enemies

So I decided to try out the loremaster class and I am enjoying it however when I pull 3 or more guys i seems to struggle a bit and morale can get dangerously low at times . Is this how it always is fighting many things at once or is it just because I've been playing as a guardian for ages, so any tips on skills and lm gameplay would be helpful

(What is your level? This gets easier as you get higher up.)

Low level landscape?

Send in bear (or raven if you have to) ... pull one off him (that he isn't targeting) and be ready with beacon for the poor bear while you kill the first one

Then root if you can or otherwise get another out of the picture while you attack the one the bear has injured the most

This may well draw the bear closer to you, but put a dot on your target and just run off a bit and kill the second

Generally, whatever you are killing will eventually be within melee range and you need to use your staff on it as soon as it gets there to start your auto attacks which are about 30% of our damage. Keep the rest as far off as you can and still be able to heal the bear.

ED: Remember, your animal friend is usually your guardian now and with your DOTs you could conceivably fight a mob of any size melee orcs and win by just pulling them with BE and WF and running off the rest. It only gets more tricky when they are ranged.
    Last edited by EmyrSelyf; Jul 16 2013 at 07:24 PM.
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=#ff0000]Currently serving [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Brecfes[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] on every world....[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Well... It depends on situation. But if u r going to pull multiple mobs, a sound strategy would be to start the fight with Cracked Earth. Till the mobs reach you, you can take that time to debuff them. Fire-lore on melee, Wind-lore on ranged and send ur pet at one of the ranged. Meanwhile u can kite the melee mobs a bit till root takes effect and then go take care of the 2nd ranged(if there is a 2nd) or attack ur pet's target. If need be u can reapply CE on melee 9secs before the previous root is removed. 75% is that the root wont break and also the mobs will only move for 1 sec before they are rooted again.

Also remember that you have Blinding Flash. At low levels traiting red is almost useless, so it should have a 30 secs duration. Use it on the tougher mobs that u want to face alone.
    Pets: Bear is a good tanking pet, but raven gives you much more flank heals, so choose according to your style. Later on you get lynx that does awesome DMG till level 60ish.

Think I'm getting the hang of it now, lvl 19 now, thx for the advice

Also as a lm would u concentrate mainly on will and fate or try and even it out between vitality and might etc, because I read where somebody said that lm are good in close combat so need the extra morale...

you don't need might. Both melee and tactical dmg you get from will.

It gets easier as you level higher, get more AOE skills and traiting deep red becomes more efficient (AOE debuff and blow stuff up).

At low levels its easy to get overwhelmed, so the fewer beating on you the better. Roots are good. If you enjoy juggling, with 3 opponents, you can keep 2 mezed with blinding flash and fight the third. It is walking a tightrope, but fun to try.

On stats? Will is always first choice, but I'd think I'd be looking at Vitality over Fate, just because short term, morale and resistances probably help more than ICPR and Crits

So for virtues would you choose the extra morale and vit over will and fate virtues?

Since will adds tactical mitigation it's nice to have some physical mits from virtues. Innocence, Compassion and Charity are easy to get just by questing. Zeal and Valour are ugly grinding virtues.

Good and easy virtues while leveling are (for me): Compassion, Charity, Wisdom, Innocence. I personally like Patience too.

Just remember that you are a CC class - USE it. Blinding Flash and cracked earth are your friends at lower levels as they provide the longest control for you (unless you trait beyond three red where BF is concerned), and so is as are LoTRD and Test of Will. Herb Lore once you get into the 30s lvls is also very helpful. Yes your melee skills are powerful enough but you want to make sure you have debuffed the mobs coming at you before you engage them in melee range so that they will not do your squishiness so much damage.

Using the pet to go in initially is also not always the best option in every case, especially as they can aggro more mobs nearby that you did not intend, so watch when and where you send your pet. The Raven by far is your best flanker at lower levels and will provide a good boost to your fire based skills, so mezzing 2-3 mobs and killing the fourth-fifth is quite easy if you keep all these things in mind. If you are going to rely on flanks more than bear-tank, it is also good to make sure your pet is set to attack what you are attacking to maximize your flank options as you fight down a mob's hp. CC is a lot of fun and once you have practiced it a bit you will easily be able to handle many mobs at once without much fuss

Quote Originally Posted by andinic28 View Post
    So for virtues would you choose the extra morale and vit over will and fate virtues?
    I've always had the attitude that virtues can fill in our main gap by reducing our squishyness a bit, especially leveling. That means Mitigations and morale. (It used to be armour Virtues, but when they changed the system, you got more from raw mitigations).

Compassion and Innocence are great and tend to drop into your lap. Valour and Zeal are my usual pair with them, but as another poster has pointed out, they are always linked to slayer deeds so are the biggest PITA to get -- Zeal especially as its not tied to many low level deeds. After that its personal preference

Quote Originally Posted by Carolas View Post
    I've always had the attitude that virtues can fill in our main gap by reducing our squishyness a bit, especially leveling. That means Mitigations and morale. (It used to be armour Virtues, but when they changed the system, you got more from raw mitigations).

Compassion and Innocence are great and tend to drop into your lap. Valour and Zeal are my usual pair with them, but as another poster has pointed out, they are always linked to slayer deeds so are the biggest PITA to get -- Zeal especially as its not tied to many low level deeds. After that its personal preference
    Gotcha thanks!

20th level LM right now. Used to longish inductions, as hunter is my main. Something that's helped me is to remember that dazes (Blinding Flash, Bane Flare) are different to stuns, and that Test of Will seems to have a really high crit chance. I've 1-shotted on-level normal mobs with it.

I agree that multiple mobs seem to require chess being played, but Bane Flare seems to be a lifesaver.

Making that damn bear not run off after everything (even in guard mode) is my current problem...

Turn him passive and activate assist. He will attack the target you attack and ignore everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by andinic28 View Post
    At lower levels I would most definitely go with the extra morale. Vitality and Morale are crucial for a levelling LM as many of our damaging skills have a morale cost involved - which at lower levels can usually make the difference between winning a battle or leeching yourself to the nearest rez circle.