We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    To be fair to Al the Hornburg was of Gondorian (Numenorean?) construction dating to 3320 SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    Ranger at Ruins in Gondor by Wouter Florusse
    here's the Artists quote about this picture

"Standing in the ruins of the lost Northern Kingdom, the Dunadan contemplates what once was and what seems impossible to regain.

The tragedy of the waning might of the Numenorean exiles always grabs me.

Third instalment of my Rangers of the North series."

The problem with reattributing this drawing to Gondor is where in the South this ruin with the snow is supposed to be, Osgiliath? Minas Ithil?, if it were in the south maybe somewhere in the White Mountains which would possibly make theme a pre Dunedain ruin. The problem with your criteria for things that inspire your image of Gondor is the Criteria is anything you think is cool, placing Vikings and Anglo Saxon images is fine I guess but what do you think Influenced the Rohiriam then, wont they look just like the Gondorians? shouldn't you stylistically leave yourself some room to say the Gondorians look different to Rohan because Gondor is influenced by Egypt and Rome (for example not my contention) who look different and the men of Rohan look like Anglo Saxons on Horses?. You get upset when someone suggest an Arnorian Barrow might be Etruscan in style and want all Barrows to be Anglo Saxon inspired be they Edain or Roheric Burials.

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    here's the Artists quote about this picture

"Standing in the ruins of the lost Northern Kingdom, the Dunadan contemplates what once was and what seems impossible to regain.

The tragedy of the waning might of the Numenorean exiles always grabs me.

Third instalment of my Rangers of the North series."

The problem with reattributing this drawing to Gondor is where in the South this ruin with the snow is supposed to be, Osgiliath? Minas Ithil?, if it were in the south maybe somewhere in the White Mountains which would possibly make theme a pre Dunedain ruin. The problem with your criteria for things that inspire your image of Gondor is the Criteria is anything you think is cool, placing Vikings and Anglo Saxon images is fine I guess but what do you think Influenced the Rohiriam then, wont they look just like the Gondorians? shouldn't you stylistically leave yourself some room to say the Gondorians look different to Rohan because Gondor is influenced by Egypt and Rome (for example not my contention) who look different and the men of Rohan look like Anglo Saxons on Horses?. You get upset when someone suggest an Arnorian Barrow might be Etruscan in style and want all Barrows to be Anglo Saxon inspired be they Edain or Roheric Burials.
    EDIT** corrected title for Arnor reference.

Im linking only direct analogies of the real world to Gondor, Anglo Saxon is one, I took some Norman designs, Egyptian and Roman Cavalry possible more acurate would be a mix of all of those.

And yes Hornburg has some gondorian masonry into its creation, I want to polish it more for future images.
    Last edited by Al.; Jan 06 2014 at 04:02 PM.

Norman Knight, inspiration for Gondorian Soldier

Imrahil of Dol Amroth
    Last edited by Al.; Jan 05 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Last edited by Al.; Jan 05 2014 at 11:29 PM.

The ruins are located in Northern Gondor in the vew Im looking, Ethring would be the place possible for many places in the Mountain Range of Gondor to be in ruins by the third age, yes Gondor had mountain ranges besides mordor, specifically Loss Arnach and is part of the White Mountains, so probable some snow there too.

Im linking only direct analogies of the real world to Gondor, Anglo Saxon is one, I took some Norman designs, Egyptian and Roman Cavalry possible more acurate would be a mix of all of those.

And yes Hornburg has some gondorian masonry into its creation, I want to polish it more for future images.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.......

Dol Amroth Charge into Battle

The ruins are located in Northern Gondor in the vew Im looking, Ethring would be the place possible for many places in the Mountain Range of Gondor to be in ruins by the third age, , specifically Loss Arnach and is part of the White Mountains, so probable some snow there too.

Are you trying to be serious here? You want us to believe that when that artist says North Kingdom, he means Northern Gondor?

There's a word for people who make claims like that, but I won't use it here.

This thread started out with so much promise, but it's just become a sad joke unfortunately. I honestly think the only people who drop in for a look at this thread these days are curious to see how much of a fool you can make of your self.

Osgiliath in Gondor

I was browsing this forum, not really reading all the blocks of text until I saw this with the "Osgiliath IN Gondor" reference. I about shot coffee through my nose laughing at that and thought it was a joke until I started reading more of the text and realized this "Al" person is seriously expecting us to buy that.

I have a print of this in my house and I promise you, it has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Middle Earth at all.

Here, how about this,

Crazy Cat Lady - Possibly Inspiration for Queen Beruthiel of Gondor.

BTW, She's one of the coolest characters ever in Middle Earth.

______________________________ __________________________

Edit:

I was browsing back even further and I found this:

House of Healing possibly Egyptian Conception of the healing arts.

That's Solomon's Temple not an Egyptian house of healing and even a basic reading of the Biblical account of Solomon's Temple illustrate that it had nothing to do with Egyptian architecture or medicinal arts. If anything it was more Assyrian in it's design as that was the prevalent culture of the area into which the Israelite people had moved. Lebanon is noted as having provided the lumber for the project and the stone cutting took place in Israeli quarries. There's no reference at all to Egypt in it's construction or design. I don't know where you get this healing house from.
    Last edited by Widoch; Jan 06 2014 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Langie View Post
    Are you trying to be serious here? You want us to believe that when that artist says North Kingdom, he means Northern Gondor?

There's a word for people who make claims like that, but I won't use it here.

This thread started out with so much promise, but it's just become a sad joke unfortunately. I honestly think the only people who drop in for a look at this thread these days are curious to see how much of a fool you can make of your self.
    EDIT* corrected title for that Arnor pic
    Last edited by Al.; Jan 06 2014 at 04:01 PM.

You are trying to "narrow me" and "narrow my comments" even if you don't notice.

For example I used the North Kingdom (Arnor) and captioned it Gondor South specifically Osgiliath, why am I wrong? Arnor and Gondor shared many arquitectural designs they weren't two different civilizations afterall, that is why I used it and still think could be a ruins in North Gondor, Ethring or even Osgiliath. and Yes you really can't tell me Im wrong.
    Oh yes we can. Show the artist some respect, the guy had Arnor specifically in mind so that's what it is.

Henneth Annun in Ithilien

Lamedon to the aid of Aragorn son of Gondor
    Last edited by Al.; Jan 06 2014 at 04:03 PM.

Yes made a mistake on that image changing it to proper Arnor Kingdom

For example I used the North Kingdom (Arnor) and captioned it Gondor South specifically Osgiliath, why am I wrong?
    You can toss here whatever you think evokes Gondor; what I've seen people calling you up on is your lack of attribution.
    Time and again, you fail to name the artist, or the name of the artwork; just as often, you 'caption' the images as what you appear to imagine they could inspire. If you'd properly source the images, added a note about why you tag it in a thread for Gondor, people would most likely be kinder.

If an artist names their picture as, say, Arnor, you don't have any right to call it, say, Osgiliath. You have all the right, however, to say in a note that it's what you'd imagine Osgiliath to look like.

Arnor and Gondor shared many arquitectural designs they weren't two different civilizations afterall, that is why I used it and still think could be a ruins in North Gondor, Ethring or even Osgiliath. and Yes you really can't tell me Im wrong.
    They were two civilizations sharing the same basis; before the two realms were officially established, they began as outposts, havens of the Númenoreans in the Second Age.

What would become Arnor was favoured at first because of the elves' closeness; what would become Gondor rose in popularity as the elves fell out of favour in the darkening of Númenor.
    This distinction is likely to make its mark in the realms' architectural designs. Not to even mention the availability of materials, the different climates.

And that's before we get into the question of time and how that treated them...
    After it was established in the Second Age 3320, the Northern Kingdom, Arnor, didn't last even two full millennia.
    Before a thousand years had passed, Arnor had broken up into three subrealms; Arthedain, Cardolan, Rhudaur.
    After another thousand or so years, all three of those had fallen, fading into memory.
    However, within these realms, some architectural similarities were likely to remain, even as Rhudaur fell under the dominion of Angmar, and old works were possibly repurposed.

Meanwhile, Gondor... Gondor survived. It changed. For over 3000 years after its official establishment Gondor had time to evolve.
    And since it's a Mannish realm, it probably did; whereas Elven and Dwarvish designs could be quite literally set in stone, Men were noted for the quickness of change.

All these things mean that even though it's reasonable to expect some similarities in the architecture between what was Arnor and 'modern' Gondor... it's unreasonable to expect them to be identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    You can toss here whatever you think evokes Gondor; what I've seen people calling you up on is your lack of attribution.
    Time and again, you fail to name the artist, or the name of the artwork; just as often, you 'caption' the images as what you appear to imagine they could inspire. If you'd properly source the images, added a note about why you tag it in a thread for Gondor, people would most likely be kinder.

If an artist names their picture as, say, Arnor, you don't have any right to call it, say, Osgiliath. You have all the right, however, to say in a note that it's what you'd imagine Osgiliath to look like.

They were two civilizations sharing the same basis; before the two realms were officially established, they began as outposts, havens of the Númenoreans in the Second Age.

What would become Arnor was favoured at first because of the elves' closeness; what would become Gondor rose in popularity as the elves fell out of favour in the darkening of Númenor.
    This distinction is likely to make its mark in the realms' architectural designs. Not to even mention the availability of materials, the different climates.

And that's before we get into the question of time and how that treated them...
    After it was established in the Second Age 3320, the Northern Kingdom, Arnor, didn't last even two full millennia.
    Before a thousand years had passed, Arnor had broken up into three subrealms; Arthedain, Cardolan, Rhudaur.
    After another thousand or so years, all three of those had fallen, fading into memory.
    However, within these realms, some architectural similarities were likely to remain, even as Rhudaur fell under the dominion of Angmar, and old works were possibly repurposed.

Meanwhile, Gondor... Gondor survived. It changed. For over 3000 years after its official establishment Gondor had time to evolve.
    And since it's a Mannish realm, it probably did; whereas Elven and Dwarvish designs could be quite literally set in stone, Men were noted for the quickness of change.

All these things mean that even though it's reasonable to expect some similarities in the architecture between what was Arnor and 'modern' Gondor... it's unreasonable to expect them to be identical.
    Yes changed the caption and added artist, thanks for the info

Spaces by rudolf-herczog, possible inspiration for Gondorrim Halls

Possible inspiration for the One Ring

Wolfhelm is synonymous of idiocy extrapolated

Returning to the thread

Ranger of Ithilien

Gondorian reinforcements

Aragorn in Rivendel thinking on his journey to Gondor

Gondorian Heavey Cavalry

Spaces by rudolf-herczog, possible inspiration for Gondorrim Halls
    Tolkien was inspired by something painted decades after his death, amazing