We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Here's to hoping for more black and silver chain and plate mail as opposed to anglo saxon browns and roman like looks. I have a feeling that the game will do it correctly, as they usually do.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000089282/signature.png]Ingrathir[/charsig]

thanks for the pics and comment guys, but remember the films "tried" to get the best look, but LOTRO is based on the books, for example:

• Gondor Minas tirith looks better by Ted Nasmith in previous page, the walls are black on the outer ring.
    • Gondorians helmets are not "Water Drop" shape like the in movies, they are more like Bizantine or Medieval Knight "Swan" like in shape. The Armor can be both Roman or Silver chain-mail if done correctly.

For viewers check previous pantings, Ill post more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post

Champion of Gondor, relaxed fit. Gondorian Virtues
    That second picture isn't "Gondorian Virtues", while Gondorians may value these virtues, they are in actuality "The Nine Noble Virtues", a concept from Norse Paganism codified by John Yeowell (a.k.a. Stubba) and John Gibbs-Bailey (a.k.a. Hoskuld) of the Odinic Rite in the 1970s.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019969f/01008/signature.png]Avarust[/charsig]

Heavy Cavalry of Gondor
    I think it is more likely this is Rohan cavalry, I reverse image searched this and all that popped up were articles discussing the Riders of Rohan expansion. Gondor didn't have much cavalry, aside from the Mounted knights of Dol Amroth and probably a few other small forces. They relied mostly on Rohan for mounted support.

On Gondorian armor, I feel like PJ nailed it on the helmets and armor with these

A tough surcoat, shining mail, maybe some sections of plate thrown in on some wealthier soldiers, and the helmet really resembles a Roman soldier's, it just has wings to give it that Numenorian flare. That's how I pictured Gondorian/Numenorian/Arnorian armor in my head as well. Kind of odd that the armor in the movies seems more advanced in the Third Age, though. Full plate for that many soldiers? Sheesh.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000019969f/01008/signature.png]Avarust[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by chetdawg30 View Post
    Here's to hoping for more black and silver chain and plate mail as opposed to anglo saxon browns and roman like looks. I have a feeling that the game will do it correctly, as they usually do.
    I'm thinking that the browns and other more 'common' colours will rule the clothing of the Common Folk; the peasants and cobblers and townfolk wandering about. But black and silver/white is what the military of Minas Tirith is supposed to wear, the uniform of the officers; there are references in The Return of the King to how "those who wear the black and silver" shouldn't leave their posts, no matter what. Mind, though, that we really shouldn't be seeing the Tree embroidered anywhere but on the black surcoats of the Guards of the Citadel before the Court of the Fountain.

Turbine's done a relatively good job, so far, in translating Tolkien's words into visuals. Given all the suggestions of Gondorian culture we have so far seen... I think I trust them. Time will tell, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghashgul View Post
    That second picture isn't "Gondorian Virtues", while Gondorians may value these virtues, they are in actuality "The Nine Noble Virtues", a concept from Norse Paganism codified by John Yeowell (a.k.a. Stubba) and John Gibbs-Bailey (a.k.a. Hoskuld) of the Odinic Rite in the 1970s.
    Did you know LOTR is full of Norse paganism?, after accepting that fact noble from gondor should embrance these virtues to the letter also some elvish culture into the mix.

Did you know LOTR is full of Norse paganism?, after accepting that fact noble from gondor should embrance these virtues to the letter also some elvish culture into the mix.

You're kidding us, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    You're kidding us, right?
    No Im not in slightest

No Im not in slightest
    In that case, would you might enlightening us? Show, explain, why you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    In that case, would you might enlightening us? Show, explain, why you think so?
    Ok Ill give my reasoning why Norse Paganism is in LOTR and whole sub-creation.

The rings of power are inspired by Nibelugs Mythos, the One ring is also in the case of making user invisible like it did when Siegfried use it in The Song of the Nibelungs, is an epic poem in Middle High German

The Valar are the equivalent of Norse Gods, Also some inspiritation on Beowulf admitted by Tolkien in the sense of Heros of Legend defeating enemies to become King.

The ride of the Rohirrim as the Ride of Valkries to aid the heros in Battle, Manwe the Valar sitting in his tower can see everything just Like Odin or Woden does in the Norse Myth he also commands Birds Ravens in case of Odin and Eagles in case of Manwe, many other similiraties I post too when I get back.

Siegfrid defeating a dragon, like Turin in the Silmarillion.

The Battle of End of Days in Middle earth plays out similar to the Ragnarok Norse End of days. The Land were the Valar are is similar to the Valhalla or were the Halls of the Norse God inhabit.
    Sauron deception and cunning are similar to Loki's character and both are some sort of divine entities. Giants are in Middle earth likes Giants from Norse Myth, Gandalf is similar to Woden when he visited earth as an Old Man, in LOTR Manwe sends Gandalf or Olorin as an Old man.

Dragons are both in Norse and Middle Earth. Languages in Tolkien lore are Runic like the Skaldic poems Language in Norse Myth.

The sun and the moon (named) in Tolkien lore are heros, in Norse myth Sól, the Sun, and Máni, the Moon, are chased by the wolves , the Aesir are equivalent of Valar while Dwarves appear similiar in both Norse and Tolkien writtings, dwarves are great craftmen, Mîm in particular is name for a dwarf in both stories.

The Art of the Horns and their use appears in Norse mythology as this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjallarhorn

The sword Turin uses in Silmarillion, Magical sword (named Gurthang) is inspiried in the magical sword Odin orders dwarves to make and it shone and gleamed like fire. However, in revenge they cursed it so that it would kill a man every time it was used and that it would be the cause of three great evils. They also cursed it so that it would kill Svafrlami himself. It would cost the life of not only Svafrlami, but also the life of the
    Swedish hero Hjalmar.

Gandalf is a Dvergr (
    Norse dwarf) in Norse mythology, appearing in the poem Völuspá, the Poetic Edda, and the Prose Edda. The name derives from the Old Norse words gandr (magic staff) and álfr (elf), thus a protective spirit who wields a magical wand. He is also the last king of the Elves.[1]

And so on. thanks daeros
    Last edited by Al.; Dec 02 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Wow, you really haven't got a clue, have you? Did you honestly think that was what Daeross was asking for you to explain? Everyone knows that Tolkien's myth were, in part, based on Norse mythology, that was never in question.

How you jump from that fact to the pure fiction that the men of Gondor somehow based their own moral code on a set of virtues invented by a couple of guys twenty years after the Lord of the Rings was written is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Wow, you really haven't got a clue, have you? Did you honestly think that was what Daeross was asking for you to explain? Everyone knows that Tolkien's myth were, in part, based on Norse mythology, that was never in question.

How you jump from that fact to the pure fiction that the men of Gondor somehow based their own moral code on a set of virtues invented by a couple of guys twenty years after the Lord of the Rings was written is beyond me.
    Im bringing Gondor to the present!

Anyway, Nobles have existed prior to that code from 1970, also LOTR was written about same time too 1950's, so yea the code kinda applies to Tolkien's time.

I did know what daeros did, I saw his other thread which you missed.

Posting some more gondor pics guys soon guys
    Last edited by Al.; Dec 03 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Imrahil from Gondor ----------------------------Minas tirith side view, Beacon lies in this area
    Last edited by Al.; Dec 03 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Ithilien in Gondor

Pelargir in Gondor
    Last edited by Al.; Dec 03 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Boromir by Tolkien-fan Artist
    Last edited by Al.; Dec 04 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Gondorian Captain
    Does one want to specify him as Boromir?

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMuerto View Post
    Does one want to specify him as Boromir?
    "There was a tall man with a fair and noble face, dark-haired and grey-eyed, proud and stern of glance. His garments were rich, and his cloak was lined with fur and he had a collar of silver in which a single white stone was set; his locks were shorn about his shoulders. On a baldric he wore a great horn tipped with silver that now was laid upon his knees."

Given this, I'd daresay that that indeed is Boromir...

Getting back to you about the Norse paganism bit when I have better time, Al.

Al.,

I don't want to be a jerk here but you really ought to take some care in crediting these images (as has already been suggested). The Gondorian banner below is not by Nasmith, but by Margaret Hardy. The kicker is that you actually linked the image from the blog I work on and the filename has the artist's name in it. It comes from the LOTR LCG which is a great game with great artists who deserve some credit.

http://masteroflore.wordpress.com/20...12/for-gondor/

Symbol of Gondor, Ted Nasmith
    And this image is taken from another card from the LOTR LCG by a phenomenal artist named Magali Villeneuve, not Donato Giancola.

Boromir's Last Stand by Donato G.
    You're compiling a nice collection here, just take your time
    Last edited by shipwreck; Dec 04 2013 at 01:12 PM.
    [center][b][color=gray]Dedoric[/color] || [color=royalblue]Rocso[/color][/b] of [url=http://guild-sanctuary.com/lotro]Sanctuary[/url]
    [size=1][[url=http://lotroplayers.com]LOTROPlayers[/url]]
    [[url=http://greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com]The Grey Company Podcast[/url]]
    [[url=http://masteroflore.wordpress.com]Master of Lore blog[/url]][/size]
    [/center]

Thanks shipwreck and Daeross, Ill put authors on each of the earlier pics with the right ones.

Ill take my time, thanks again Shipwreck

*Talks in Bill and Ted voice* I just wanted to thank everyone for posting these most bodacious images!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Some stuff from "Letters"

On Faramir
    "A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even
    want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the
    brother of Boromir – and he is holding up the 'catastrophe' by a lot of stuff about the history of
    Gondor and Rohan (with some very sound reflections no doubt on martial glory and true glory): but
    if he goes on much more a lot of him will have to be removed to the appendices"

On languages
    "Languages, however, that were related to the Westron presented a special problem. I turned
    them into forms of speech related to English. Since the Rohirrim are represented as recent comersout of the North, and users of an archaic
    Mannish language relatively untouched by the influence of
    Eldarin, I have turned their names into forms like (but not identical with) Old English. The
    language of Dale and the Long Lake would, if it appeared, be represented as more or less
    Scandinavian in character; but it is only represented by a few names, especially those of the
    Dwarves that came from that region. These are all Old Norse Dwarf-names.
    (Dwarves are represented as keeping their own native tongue more or less secret, and using for
    all 'outer' purposes the language of the people they dwelt near; they never reveal their own 'true'
    personal names in their own tongue.)

The Westron or C.S. is supposed to be derived from the Mannish Adunaic language of the
    Númenóreans, spreading from the Númenórean Kingdoms in the days of the Kings, and especially
    from Gondor, where it remains spoken in nobler and rather more antique style (a style also usually
    adopted by the Elves when they use this language). But all the names in Gondor, except for a few of
    supposedly prehistoric origin, are of Elvish form, since the Númenórean nobility still used an Elvish
    language, or could. This was because they had been allies of the Elves in the First Age, and had for
    that reason been granted the Atlantis isle of Númenor."

On clothes and the winged crown of Gondor
    "The Númenóreans of Gondor were proud, peculiar, and archaic, and I think are best pictured in
    (say) Egyptian terms. In many ways they resembled 'Egyptians' – the love of, and power to
    construct, the gigantic and massive. And in their great interest in ancestry and in tombs. (But not of
    course in 'theology' : in which respect they were Hebraic and even more puritan – but this would
    take long to set out: to explain indeed why there is practically no oven 'religion',*
    or rather religious acts or places or ceremonies among the 'good' or anti-Sauron peoples in The Lord of the Rings.) I
    think the crown of Gondor (the S. Kingdom) was very tall, like that of Egypt, but with wings
    attached, not set straight back but at an angle"

Court of the Fountain in Gondor by 1oshuart

Minas Ithil Foot Soldier in LOTRO
    Last edited by Al.; Dec 13 2013 at 12:11 AM.

Ranger contemplating at Ruins of Arnorr by Wouter Florusse
    Last edited by Al.; Jan 06 2014 at 05:00 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast