We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Anglo-Saxon influence? Of course

Do not forget that Tolkien was deep in the lore of Anglo-Saxons and of the Norse. He was a leading authority on old English in his day, and his works can still be found in the footnotes of articles on the subject written by modern scholars. It would be surprising, almost lore breaking, if there were not heavy Anglo-Saxon influence in all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    My last post:
    If only this were true, sigh

My last post:
    Honest and for true? Don't tease us now...
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    This is what you dont have in:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Arnor
    So... I'm right? It says Arnor is different than Gondor, and that Bree was part of Arnor... (Did you even read that page?)
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Bree was built by the Kingdom of Arnor, which has long since fallen. Bree has no ties with Gondor, AFAIK.
    Actually, my understanding is that Bree was not built by the Arnorians either. I will try and find the source if I can - it is never where I remember it being when I try to look it up again - but there are one or two brief paragraphs in the text where Tolkien describes the Breelanders as having been the descendants of men akin to the Edain who did not cross over into Beleriand. As I recall, he went on to say that the Barrow Downs were semi-revered by the Numenorean exiles as being a part of their ancient pre-history.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Actually, my understanding is that Bree was not built by the Arnorians either. I will try and find the source if I can - it is never where I remember it being when I try to look it up again - but there are one or two brief paragraphs in the text where Tolkien describes the Breelanders as having been the descendants of men akin to the Edain who did not cross over into Beleriand.
    The Bree-folk were said to be from the same stock as the Dunlendings, having originally come from the White Mountains, and there was a settlement at Bree before Arnor was established. I imagine it starting off as a hill-fort.

If you consider Middle-Earth as Europe, but we know Rome wasn't in Europe
    Please, someone tell me this is a joke, please.
    The only impossibility is the possibility of impossibilities -Me

but we know Rome wasn't in Europe
    Wow, I stopped taking this discussion seriously a while ago, but I did not expect this. You sir, have no right calling Rad insane, if you say that Rome is not in Europe.
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

If we are going to be finical about it, the Roman empire for a long time also was expanded wide outside of Europe.
    Some of the negatives of poor grammar a.s.o.
    But i don't know.. It could be that what he wrote was what he meant
    "I imagine you know the answer, of course, or can guess it as easy as winking, since you are sitting comfortably at home and have not the danger of being eaten to disturb your thinking."
    [The Hobbit, or There and Back Again; Riddles in the Dark]

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMuerto View Post
    If we are going to be finical about it, the Roman empire for a long time also was expanded wide outside of Europe.
    Some of the negatives of poor grammar a.s.o.
    But i don't know.. It could be that what he wrote was what he meant

I think you're getting to the heart of Al's problem here.
    I'm pretty sure he knows full well that the city of Rome is in Europe, I may be wrong but I believe he comes from that continent.
    As you say here he probably meant the Roman Empire, and poor grammar was probably more to blame than poor geography.

The real problem though is his arrogance, he has a great deal of trouble getting his message across (understandable given that English is not his native language), I think this frustrates him somewhat and his first reaction is to strike out at anyone who either disagrees with him or simply doesn't understand him.

I once asked him what language he read the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit in, he never answered me, but I suspect he either read an English language version and translated it himself, or read a version in his own language (probably poorly translated).
    This would largely explain some of the totally outrageous claims he sometimes makes about what Tolkien was telling us, he seems to be getting a totally different message than the rest of us.

Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    I may be wrong but I believe he comes from that continent.
    Some of us have yet to be convinced he even comes from this planet

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Some of us have yet to be convinced he even comes from this planet
    Haha, brilliant :0

but we know Rome wasn't in Europe,
    Just when I thought things couldn't get any more wrong.

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Question

but we know Rome wasn't in Europe
    Do we? OK, if you say so.
    Please read the post overhead and understand it fully before responding with overwhelming negativity to opinions you have no personal interest in, but still want to complain about. Don't troll the feeders. Great, you acknowledge the need to apologize, but I don't see an actual apology anywhere. Are you a politician by any chance? - xandervix_tog.

Figured some more art was a necessity, as we are deep into Gondor now .

Gandalf and Pippin Riding into Minas Tirith - Author: John Howe

Ruined Osgiliath - Author: DaRoz of Deviantart
    Last edited by robbie1435; Jun 13 2015 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Figured some more art was a necessity, as we are deep into Gondor now .

Gandalf and Pippin Riding intro Minas Tirith - Author Unlisted

Ruined Osgiliath - Author: DaRoz of Deviantart

The first image was by John Howe, I've never seen that painting of Osgiliath before though, very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    The first image was by John Howe, I've never seen that painting of Osgiliath before though, very nice
    Thanks, I'll list the author above. The link I found didn't actually show the author.

The painting of Osgiliath was done by someone on Deviantart, so they're not very common to see any place else.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13