We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cosmetic Weapons

Ok, so I'm giving a wild guess that there's so many people who wanna see cosmetic weapons implemented into the game, and I'm gonna tell you why right now. Short and Sweet version: Coding isn't that easy. That's the one reason we probably won't see cosmetic weapons for a while. Because you have to code it NOT to do damage while appearing without the player actually using the weapon. Sound easy to code? Thought not. I know, cosmetic weapons would be awesome to be implemented, but the coding would take FOREVER! And there would probably be about 100 failures before it even works once! Nobody really knows if that will ever be implemented into the game or not, but if it is, I'll be there for it! I hope you guys see why cosmetic weapons aren't gonna happen very soon, if they're coding it right now, I salute you, and if not, keep up the great work anyways Turbine! You're doing an amazing job so far with LOTRO!

1 Twinfall Path, Celos-en-Nauth, Falathlorn
    Cosmetic weapons would be cool. I mean, I have an awesome leaf-shaped blade that glows green right now. I will be sorry to see it go when I upgrade my weapons. Perhaps they could implement a cosmetic weapon slot on the outfit panels, and add some new ideas. I mean come on, there are probably SOME elf characters (like me) who want one of those awesome Elven scimitars that are seen in the movie. Plus Elrohir is holding two outside the Mirkstone tunnels in the Introduction Quests. So, maybe add a cosmetic weapon slot in the outfit tab and create some cosmetic weapons that deal no damage but can be equipped to said slot. Or add the slot and allow weapons that deal damage to be equipped to the slot, but all damage is neutralized in the outfit tab slot.
    Night is falling,
    So ends this day.
    The Road is now calling
    And I must away.

The coding for cosmetic weapons had already exist (I play another MMO that has the system)

But the primary reasons are:

1.) Money.
    -Timing because of Coding.
    -Making the code.

2.) Is it worth it?
    -Weapons are hardly notice for their appearance in LOTRO with the exception of LM staffs.
    -How much effort will turbine put into this? More effort means more money used.

Gains and opportunities:
    1.) Put nice and good looking designed ones along with limited timed and special ones for Points.
    2.) Players buying points for weapon cosmetics.

IMO, I don't think turbine will implant cosmetic weapons only because 1.) What designs will they turn to? and 2.) as said above, weapons are hardly notice for their appearance except LM staffs.

Shield designs are more noticeable than weapon designs. There are a few that are downright ugly and I wish I could change them to something else.

If cosmetic weapons were available you just know that every level 85 hobbit-lass would be running around slaying things with a rolling pin. I mean, I would.
    Landroval: Ardgytha/Cap - Burnet/Guard - Fernwithy/Burg - Maethanir/Hunt
    Elendilmir: Mithildir/Guard - Finnur/Champ - Sweetbriar/Hunt

Weapon designs are noticeable. Sure, shields are more 'in your face' than weapons, but I always look at other people's weapons to see what they look like. I would love to be able to wear cosmetic weapons to hide some of my current ones because they look so blah. I also have saved a few swords because they were gorgeous and i am hoping one day they allow for cosmetic weapons. They already have the code to do this I don't see why it wouldn't work like the current wardrobe and special slots (rune keeper satchel).
    [img]http://www.trish-art.com/images/avs-sigs/anniah-lotro.jpg[/img]

It's not going to happen. Not ever.
    This has already been addressed and answered in one of the Twitter Dev Questions lists earlier this year. I'm not able to do a forum search for it right now but you might dig it up if you google for Twitter Dev Chat Lotro.
    COSMETIC LOTRO

a blog about Middle-earth outfits

Because it's not on their priority list. It's not the first time they claim something is technically impossible, only to introduce it to the store after. Why would it be impossible to show Sword X while I have Sword Y equipped?

Hard? Nah :3

The coding allready exists, its allmost exactly the same as cosmetic outfits. It are just textures overriding stats. If you have a ugly sword equiped wich gives stats, you can just overwrite a texture to it of a way better looking one. Its that easy. Really.

And what id like to see is maybe customize effects or something like that on legendary weapons? Blue glowing, green glowing, although maybe that goes to far :/

I can't tell you how many times that I've heard devs, producers, and any other high ranking game officials in any game say that something "wont ever, ever, EVER" happen in their game. Months later or a year later it did became a reality. It is possible. It may not happen any time soon but if enough people request it, it has a higher chance of becoming a reality.

I would love to see cosmetic weapons. I love that feature in other games I play, and I'd love to have that option here. There are some weapon appearances that I have gotten attached to. If I want to RP that the weapon is special and has a history with my character at least I won't have to play switch-a-roo with them in my inventory between down time and quest/level time, let alone taking up valuable inventory space.

[img]http://www.trish-art.com/images/avs-sigs/anniah-lotro.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Lyzau View Post
    It's not going to happen. Not ever.
    This has already been addressed and answered in one of the Twitter Dev Questions lists earlier this year. I'm not able to do a forum search for it right now but you might dig it up if you google for Twitter Dev Chat Lotro.
    I clearly remember this being answered as well in a dev chat. I can't remember if it was in a 20 Questions session or if it indeed was a live Twitter chat, but cosmetic weapons aren't happening.

EDIT: I did find it on Twitter from late March 2013, links included--

Q26: Nasami - Cosmetic gear slots? My LM has found some gorgeous staves, only to lose how they look because she found better quality gear. (https://twitter.com/lotro/statuses/314819276345323520)

A26: EG - Unfortunately due to tech limitations, this is not really an option #LOTRO (https://twitter.com/lotro/statuses/314819323648692224)
    Last edited by Nathrien_Estelenlaer; Oct 22 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathrien_Estelenlaer View Post
    I clearly remember this being answered as well in a dev chat. I can't remember if it was in a 20 Questions session or if it indeed was a live Twitter chat, but cosmetic weapons aren't happening.

EDIT: I did find it on Twitter from late March 2013, links included--
    I know they've stated that many times in the past and I still call bs on it. Sorry, but how hard can it be to implement this when you have something as deep as the wardrobe system in place? Also, they've claimed many things impossible in the past while adding it a year after. Quest log anyone?