We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    You're most welcome, Silmelin! I do sometimes keep the FPS tracked as well. It can be interesting to see how it changes based on what you are doing or what you are looking at. I just ported into Frostbluff over on Landroval. It's hovering at about 16 FPS, though fluctuating up and down quite a bit. Lots of people running about. xD
    I wonder what it will say at next Weatherstock! xD
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Shumzuda View Post
    System:
    RAM: 6MB
    HDD: 1TB
    GPU: Nvidia GT 630M
    Processor: Intel i7

Settings:
    PP effects: on
    DirectX: 11
    Could you provide more information? Specifically, what I have listed on the first post?

I cannot render any data from this, sorry! :-)
    Help me build my LOTRO Performance Reference Guide!
    Link for Mac users

FPS is Frames Per Second, otherwise known as a framerate. It's the rate or speed that your machine processes graphical data at.

In my personal experience, 30-40 (or above) is very good. 20-30 FPS is average. 10-20 is acceptable. 5-10 is painful, and 0-5 is more or less unplayable. However, your mileage may vary. I play on an older laptop that barely meets the basic requirements to play the game. Most of my settings are low or medium. Only one or two (like object draw distance) are set at high. If I had these same settings on a much better computer, my FPS would likely be much higher. For some people, an FPS of 100 might be average. There are a lot of factors here.

The shortcut in game is CTRL+F. Keep in mind that this does NOT reflect lag, at least not in normal terms. FPS has nothing to do with internet speed or anything like that, but has everything to do with your own machine's hardware. Now, if a game demands more than your machine can give, then FPS suffers. If your graphic settings are put to high, then FPS suffers. Lag and FPS are like squares and rectangles. A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square. Low FPS translates or behaves as lag, but is not caused by internet issues.

When you have an internet issue in game, it typically manifests itself in terms of totally stopping in place, rubberbanding, or skills that try to fire but are delayed. This can have nothing to do with your machine's specs. If you're on wifi and that suddenly goes out, this is the type of problem you will experience (particularly the first one).

Poor FPS, caused by hardware/software, manifests in similar ways. Rubberbanding also plays a role here, but usually it comes in terms of stuttering or jerky movements, even jerky panning of the view. For example, in an Epic Battle, my FPS might be pretty high if I zoom in and stare at the ground, and then drop like a rock if I zoom out and look over the walls of the Hornburg. There is a lot more action that demands attention from my machine when I look over the walls, compared to just staring at the ground.

I am not super savvy in terms of electronics and whatnot, but the above is, to my understanding, a basic explanation of FPS and how it relates to your gameplay.
    Hey that's a pretty good explanation!
    Link for Mac users

I think you would want the people to measure their FPS under same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    I wonder what it will say at next Weatherstock! xD
    -100 FPS probably, not that it is even possible. I'll probably be the one that doesn't move an inch during the whole event. xD

Quote Originally Posted by themateika View Post
    Hey that's a pretty good explanation!
    Thanks! ^_^
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

-100 FPS probably, not that it is even possible. I'll probably be the one that doesn't move an inch during the whole event. xD
    * Most references to FPS in Forum discussions are simply "Pxxxx" contests -- "mine is faster than yours" -- and have no real or rational basis in reality, only in "benchmarks" or cinematography.
    * From what I understand on the technical side... 120 FPS is the absolute max for multiple reasons.

A large portion of the FPS argument revolves around your Display device -- i.e the Monitor you are using. What FPS rate is IT capable of displaying?
    Just because the little counter in the corner displays a number, does not mean that is what you are seeing (i.e. what is being displayed! )
    * I don't know the technical numbers today, however, in 2012, 90+% of the LCD monitors available were designed to display ONLY 60FPS - absolute MAX! (Despite what the sales rep claimed.)
    Since I'm retired, I don't know what the current state of the Standards are (proposed, accepted and which vendors have implemented them.)

A collection of useful articles on the topic:

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm How many frames per second can the human eye see?

http://documentation.apple.com/en/fi...3%26tasks=true Apple - How Many Frames per Second Is Best?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate Wikipedia: Frame Rate

It is important to keep in mind also: This is an area where "the literature" is lagging significantly behind the technology. (Especially what is posted on the Internet, as much of it is proprietary, "trade secrets" kind of information.) For the past 5-10 years (since about 2005, yes since before LOTRO was in alpha), Graphics processor technology has exceeded CPU technology by significant amounts. Today, in 2014, the fastest Processors out there are ASICs, not those used in mining Bitcoins, but those used in Graphics cards.

The thing to remember -- the speed of the Graphics processor, and it's FPS capability, is only marginally related to the image you see on the screen. The speed of the Graphics processor is going to give you "depth of field," "waving grasses in Rohan," shimmering water in the River Snowbourn, glowing hands for the Minstrel, Waving cloaks in the Moors.

Did I say Waving Cloaks in the Moors? -- Yes! YOUR Graphics processor does all that waving. So if you have only one cloak waving, the load is minimal, however if you have a 12 or 24 man raid taking place -- THAT is a lot of waving cloaks, and the information about those cloaks along with the positional information about the rest of the Raid (as well as the opposition) must be transferred back and forth between you and the rest of your party. So you have a situation where the "weakest link" DOES impact everybody. This is why the Cardinal Rule, Rule Number One, for raiding in the Moors is: "Turn off your Cloaks!" It doesn't matter how powerful YOUR graphics processor is; it's how WEAK your buddy's processor is that is causing the LAG! (I'm ignoring issues related to ISP connection speeds.)

BTW, nothing here is in disagreement with Mar-Evayave -- but supplemental. It's a BIG deep topic.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

1- I play LOTRO on a Mac, 98% of the time using the LOTRO Mac Client. I also play using Codeweaver's Crossover (WINE) and the Window's client.

My system:
    27 inch iMac Intel (mid 2010)
    Model: iMac11,3
    Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
    Display: 27-inch (2560 x 1440)
    Software OS X 10.9.1 (13B42))
    2- Nominally, I use the default settings from the Mac Client. Note that the Mac Client uses OpenGL, not DirectX.

Settings Used (In sequence from the two Options panels)
    [*] Directx - not applicable; Mac Client uses OpenGL.

Graphics
    • Overall Graphics Quality - Custom

Display
    • Full Screen - not checked
    • Windowed Resolution - Custom - nominally 1024x768 - "Display Windowed Resolution" = 162006259 - most of the 27 inch display.
    • Aspect Ratio - Auto
    • Antialiasing - Disabled

Colour
    • Ambient Light = .64
    • Brightness = 1.0
    • Contrast = 1.0
    • Gamma Level = 1.0

Adv Graphics
    Objects:
    • Object Draw Distance -- Ultra High
    • Model Detail - High
    • Material Detail - High

Scenery
    • Landscape Draw Distance - High
    • Frill Distance - Medium
    • Distant Imposters - checked
    • Atmospherics Detail - Medium

Texturing
    • Texture Detail - Medium
    • Texture Filtering - Trilinear
    • Anisotropic Filter Quality - off

Lighting
    • Hight Quality Lighting - checked
    • Specular Lighting - checked
    • Surface Reflections - Low
    • Landscape lighting quality - Low

Shadows
    • Landscape Shadows - Medium
    • Blob Shadows checked
    • Stencil Shadows - Medium
    • Environment Stencil Shadows - not checked

Post Processing
    • Post Procssing Effects - checked
    • Glow Mapping - checked
    • Overbright Bloom Filter - not checked
    • Blur Filter Quality - Medium
    • Bloom Intensity = 1.0

Performance
    • Player Mesh Combining - not checked
    • 3D Object Portraits - checked
    • Texture Cache size = 1.0
    • Player Crowd Quality = 1.0

Display
    • Refresh Rate - Auto
    • Sync to Refresh Rate - not checked
    • Tripple Buffering - not checked
    3- There are three ways to Play LOTRO on the Mac:
    a- The LOTRO Mac Client - available from lotro.com or Steam, all 3 downloads are the same client.
    b- Using "bootcamp" -- in which case, it is pure Windows (XP, I think, I don't run bootcamp myself) running on Apple Hardware, hence it is the "standard" PC Client.
    c- Using WINE. WINE comes in two flavors - Codeweaver's Crossover, which is the supported version of WINE, and the vendor who supplies WINEhq with the hosting; and raw WINE, which is mostly for Linux folks.
    d- Note: There have been "packaged" versions of Wine via Wineskins and Cider, however, I don't believe that ANY of those work any longer. Basically WINE must be version 1.15 (If I have the correct number) or later to get past a nasty WINE bug, that prevented the game from running.)

Info on the Mac client is available at: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client
    4- I'll have to generate some FPS numbers, as I don't normally run with FPS showing.
    Last edited by Valamar; Jan 24 2014 at 12:18 PM.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

In front of puter. Thanks, online games. :P
    as of 1/24/2014.

1) Hardware:

CPU...Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8 GHz
    RAM... 4Gb
    GPU...NVidia GTS 250 (i'm going to have to replace this soon methinks....getting artifacts here and there!)
    OS...Win7 HomePro 64-bit desktop

Settings Used on (specifically):

Directx 9
    resolution 1024 x 768
    AA disabled.
    object draw HIGH
    texture detail HIGH
    texture filtering TRILINEAR
    shadows LOW
    bloom FILTER ON... INTENSITY 1.00

Frames per Second:
    Average (bree on Brandywine) 50-60-ish
    Max (bree on Brandywine)....100- ish

no plugins

Hope all that helps :3
    Last edited by CookieArtisan; Jan 25 2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Crickhollow---Citridyla, Ythrondis, and Hraf. Meneldor--Dockerson, Kariadriel and Thasgar. Gladden--Gamoskorin, Henessy, and Lanthreldras. Firefoot--Amberson and Liedvar. Brandywine--Audny, Egilwine, and Gardihauk. I'm an altoholic, pie-eating fool! :)

Thanks cookie for the specs!

And again...thanks Valamar for the informative contributions to my guide threads (Mac and Windows threads). Always helpful.

I've been tinkering a lot with reducing FPS lag on a few different systems with some very good results. I'll be sure to add them when I am done this guide. I would still like more data.

MOAR DATA!
    Link for Mac users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2