We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Need info for Player Created Guide (Original)

Hello fellow players, I'd like to survey as many people as possible for their computer specs, LOTRO performance, and the settings they use. I want to make a performance reference guide, so that it will be easy for people to judge how their LOTRO will perform at x settings with y components. People ask all the time about what performance they might get, so I'd like to try and clear up some forum clutter with this guide.

I made one a while back for the lorebook, but it needs an update and needs to be streamlined and improved (not to mention that the Lorebook will be gone soon, so to the guides sub-forum it goes). It also needs community input (hence this forum post). I will acknowledge all contributors on the guide.

The plan is to make an easy to read table, which is sorted by the best performers to the lowest performers. Basically, if you get 30fps or more at ultra high settings at 1920x1080, then you are considered one of the best performers. If you get (hopefully) 30fps at low settings at 1280x768, then you will be at the bottom of the list. Players should be able to easily reference how their rigs will compare.

If you have any suggestions (other than your performance information) then please add, but if you have suggestions, I would much rather you include your performance information as well.

If you would oblige, I need the following information:

1) Hardware: CPU, RAM, GPU, OS as 32/64-bit, Laptop/desktop
    2) Settings Used on (specifically): Directx, resolution, AA, object draw, texture detail, texture filtering, shadows, bloom
    3) Frames per Second: Average, Max, Lowest (use high population or high graphic areas such as Rohan and major towns. Try your best at giving numbers. If you cannot get to Rohan, just tell me which areas you got the numbers)

Optional Info:
    1) Plugins used

I plan to make some generalizations, easy tweaks for better performance, and more info on how each hardware component affects performance.

I hope this is received well. I will include my own performance info, of course.

You can PM your info or post to this thread, though I prefer a PM for organizational purposes.
    Last edited by themateika; Aug 06 2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Help me build my LOTRO Performance Reference Guide!
    Link for Mac users

Quote Originally Posted by themateika View Post
    I made one a while back for the lorebook, but it needs an update and needs to be streamlined and improved. It also needs community input (hence this forum post). I will acknowledge all contributors on the guide.
    You are aware that the Lorebook is being discontinued and everything there deleted around the end of this month?
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    You are aware that the Lorebook is being discontinued and everything there deleted around the end of this month?
    Yep, which is why I'm refreshing it and posting to the new sub-forum for guides. I'll clarify my knowledge of this in my original post.
    Link for Mac users

That is a nice idea. Then some players will know they just have hardware that does not run well with Lotro - and maybe get some tips to improve performance.

A lot of players with higher end PCs have posted on the forums that they had to stop playing since ROI due to lag and performance problems. Too bad we can't get the info on what systems they had.

Yep, which is why I'm refreshing it and posting to the new sub-forum for guides. I'll clarify my knowledge of this in my original post.
    OK. Wasn't clear to start with and I didn't want you to waste your time posting a guide only to see it vanish a few days later.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

fps where, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by EmyrSelyf View Post
    fps where, exactly?
    Pressing Ctrl+F will display your FPS in game.

@themateika:
    You might also want to find out which plugins if any the users use since plugins can have a huge impact on game experience, including FPS.

I think this is an excellent idea. I remember reading your previous guide and thinking "I wish I had known that earlier". So, where do you want us to send the info to? PM? Post it here in the forums? Elsewhere?
    Country: Netherlands, Current Server: Nimrodel. Future server: Landroval
    Sheherezi's an Eastemnet Cook & Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    Pressing Ctrl+F will display your FPS in game.
    Which can vary A LOT in different situations in game, which I assume the previous poster was referring to.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Just wanted to to.check that you wanted replies in thread for this not.Pm's or hunting.down your guide?

I'll post anyway after this, there is a tool for nvidia users called GeForce experience amongst other things such as automatically.updating drivers (if you wish) it also can review your specs and suggest beat playable settings for each game on your computer. It does not include lotro but does for some other MMO's. Sad face. I've used nvidias forums to request lotro being included but might need plenty if requests to get that happening. Also this would benefit AMD users too IMO as they.could.look.at the direct competing model to get an idea of what they might expect.

Laptop. Win 7 64 bit. No plugins.
    CPU 3610qm.
    8gb ram at 1300 Kingston (model forgotten)
    7200rpm HD for OS
    Intel 330 SSD 80gb for lotro.
    Nvidiagt 650m GPU (gddr5 version) 1gb.

Settings
    Hi res texture pack. Ultra preset plus crowd quality set to 0. Texture cache to full. Anisotropic filturing x4. AA x2. 1920x1080 resolution.

Fps old areas max- 50
    Min- 20
    Average- 35

New areas inc. Bree max 40
    Min 15
    Average - 25

Settings 2 - high preset with aa x 2. Same resolution.
    Old av - 60 fps
    New 40 fps.

Significant drops when entering Bree /rohan towns / caras galadhorn but temporary seems like texture loading.

Don't know if others like synth gaming.benchmarks but mine gets 2500 on 3dmark11 and 1600 on fire strike (newest 3dmark) personally I.think.they're ok.for comparing vastly different systems to gauge basic terrible / ok / great judgements only. It might be useful to show new users what the recommended systems 3d mark would be and what fps that would be at low /med. And then give a higher spec an rough price.and.what.that can do on med/ high or higher resolution etc.

Great endevour and good luck.

Ps sorry for typos and .... Everywhere . Posting from pesky phone.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Hi everyone, thanks for input and comments so far. I will update this to my original post:

You can post your info either to this thread or PM me. If you PM me it is probably easier for me to organize the stats, especially from the chatter.

If posters have not submitted yet, I would love your results if you have the time to gather them .

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post

@themateika:
    You might also want to find out which plugins if any the users use since plugins can have a huge impact on game experience, including FPS.

That is a good idea. I will do a bit of research and request this as optional. I might include it as sub-information if the table gets to cluttered. I'll also do some live testing with certain plugins enabled/disabled.

Thanks!
    Last edited by themateika; Jul 16 2013 at 12:15 AM.
    Link for Mac users

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarian_Grace View Post
    Just wanted to to.check that you wanted replies in thread for this not.Pm's or hunting.down your guide?

I'll post anyway after this, there is a tool for nvidia users called GeForce experience amongst other things such as automatically.updating drivers (if you wish) it also can review your specs and suggest beat playable settings for each game on your computer. It does not include lotro but does for some other MMO's. Sad face. I've used nvidias forums to request lotro being included but might need plenty if requests to get that happening. Also this would benefit AMD users too IMO as they.could.look.at the direct competing model to get an idea of what they might expect.

Laptop. Win 7 64 bit. No plugins.
    CPU 3610qm.
    8gb ram at 1300 Kingston (model forgotten)
    7200rpm HD for OS
    Intel 330 SSD 80gb for lotro.
    Nvidiagt 650m GPU (gddr5 version) 1gb.

Settings
    Hi res texture pack. Ultra preset plus crowd quality set to 0. Texture cache to full. Anisotropic filturing x4. AA x2. 1920x1080 resolution.

Fps old areas max- 50
    Min- 20
    Average- 35

New areas inc. Bree max 40
    Min 15
    Average - 25

Settings 2 - high preset with aa x 2. Same resolution.
    Old av - 60 fps
    New 40 fps.

Significant drops when entering Bree /rohan towns / caras galadhorn but temporary seems like texture loading.

Don't know if others like synth gaming.benchmarks but mine gets 2500 on 3dmark11 and 1600 on fire strike (newest 3dmark) personally I.think.they're ok.for comparing vastly different systems to gauge basic terrible / ok / great judgements only. It might be useful to show new users what the recommended systems 3d mark would be and what fps that would be at low /med. And then give a higher spec an rough price.and.what.that can do on med/ high or higher resolution etc.

Great endevour and good luck.

Ps sorry for typos and .... Everywhere . Posting from pesky phone.
    I'm just assuming, but are you using Directx11?
    Link for Mac users

I'm just assuming, but are you using Directx11?
    Absolutely, it make water go pretty
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Computer Specs - Desktop

Windows 7 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz
    Ram: 8.00GB
    Video: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Lotro Settings

All Ultra Settings and all draw distances and settings set to max
    Direct X11
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    AA 8x
    Triple Buffering On
    Bloom 1.00
    Texture cache size maxed
    Player crowd control maxed

FPS

Bree
    Low - 50
    Average - 75
    Max - 100

Rohan
    Low - 60
    Average - 80
    Max - 100

Most other places and just roaming the lands
    Low - 100
    Average - 150
    Max - 200~500
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

2) Settings Used on (specifically): Directx, resolution, AA, object draw, texture detail, texture filtering, shadows, bloom
    3) Frames per Second: Average, Max, Lowest (use high population or high graphic areas such as Rohan and major towns. Try your best at giving numbers. If you cannot get to Rohan, just tell me which areas you got the numbers)

Optional Info:
    1) Plugins used

Desktop PC. My lotro settings are Ultra High, DX 11, 8XAA, max draw distance, everything else is what choosing Ultra sets it at.

My FPS jumps around a lot. I'll get 60 FPS in doors, then it drops to 10 sometimes just when I walk or ride through town, or outside in wildermore it will be 40+ then drop to 10 or less suddenly. If i stare right at the ground the FPS shoots up to 140.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 8/7/2013, 06:16:11
    Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)

System Manufacturer: Custom Build by NCIX
    System Model: Custom Build by NCIX
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/25/10 14:39:27 Ver: 08.00.15
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12280MB RAM
    Page File: 2933MB used, 14345MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Display Memory: 4034 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1986 MB
    Shared Memory: 2047 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
    Monitor Name: Dell 2408WFP(Digital)
    Monitor Model: DELL 2408WFP
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
    Output Type: DVI
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvw gf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nv wgf2um
    Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1422 (English)
    Driver Version: 9.18.13.1422

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1348 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail

------------------------
    Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    ------------------------
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 54.9 GB
    Total Space: 121.8 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: M4-CT128 M4SSD2 SCSI Disk Device

Drive: E:
    Free Space: 1101.6 GB
    Total Space: 1907.7 GB
    Model: SAMSUNG HD204UI USB Device

Drive: F:
    Free Space: 150.4 GB
    Total Space: 953.8 GB
    Model: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0

Thank you GozmitJosh and enginekid88! Your help is appreciated. If you can, please try to get others to contribute!
    Link for Mac users

Quote Originally Posted by Ragekiss View Post
    That is a nice idea. Then some players will know they just have hardware that does not run well with Lotro - and maybe get some tips to improve performance.

A lot of players with higher end PCs have posted on the forums that they had to stop playing since ROI due to lag and performance problems. Too bad we can't get the info on what systems they had.
    Yes, that would be interesting. Here is something interesting to add: I upgraded from an AMD 1100t to an Intel i5-4670 and my performance problems in ROI and ROR areas went away. It may have been the motherboard upgrade as well that helped, I need to do some deeper research on the matter!
    Link for Mac users

Quote Originally Posted by Shriya View Post
    I think this is an excellent idea. I remember reading your previous guide and thinking "I wish I had known that earlier". So, where do you want us to send the info to? PM? Post it here in the forums? Elsewhere?
    PM's would be lovely
    Link for Mac users

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    ***Hardware***
    CPU- AMD Phenom II 1090T x6
    GPU- AMD Radeon HD 6670 /w 1GB GDDR5 Memory
    RAM- 10GB DDR3 Memory

***Settings***
    Resolution- 1920x1080
    DirectX 11
    AA- 8x
    Object Draw- Ultra High
    Texture Detail- Very High
    Texture Filtering- Anisotropic x16
    Shadows- Disabled
    Bloom- Off by personal choice since I hate the effect. Dunno how it affects performance.

***FPS while in motion on a Warsteed***
    Galtrev: 27- 63 FPS (35-45 Avg)
    Michel Delving: 32-83 FPS (35-55 Avg)
    Bree: 17-59 (25-35 Avg)
    Snowbourn: 18-57 (30-40 Avg)
    Sutcroft Plains: 29-42 (30-40 Avg)
    (Note: Frames are increased when zoomed out compared to zoomed in)

***Plugins (On test character)***
    Travel
    MooreMap
    TitanBars
    Hytbold Tracker
    LI Calculator
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

System:
    RAM: 6MB
    HDD: 1TB
    GPU: Nvidia GT 630M
    Processor: Intel i7

Settings:
    PP effects: on
    DirectX: 11

Shumzuda R11 Blackarrow - Shumheals R6 Defiler - Shumzud R6 Warg Beardhug R9 Champion - Majeika R8 LM - Chuffnel Burglar
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Need info for Player Created Guide

Hello fellow players, I'd like to survey as many people as possible for their computer specs, LOTRO performance, and the settings they use. I want to make a performance reference guide, so that it will be easy for people to judge how their LOTRO will perform at x settings with y components. People ask all the time about what performance they might get, so I'd like to try and clear up some forum clutter with this guide.

I made one a while back for the lorebook, but the lorebook is gone and my guide needed updating anyway. It also needs community input (hence this forum post). I will acknowledge all contributors on the guide.

The plan is to make an easy to read table, which is sorted by the best performers to the lowest performers. Basically, if you get 30fps or more at ultra high settings at 1920x1080, then you are considered one of the best performers. If you get (hopefully) 30fps at low settings at 1280x768, then you will be at the bottom of the list. Players should be able to easily reference how their rigs will compare.

If you have any suggestions (other than your performance information) then please add, but if you have suggestions, I would hope you could include performance information as well.

3) Frames per Second: Average, Max, Lowest (use high population or high graphic areas such as Rohan and major towns. Try your best at giving numbers. If you cannot get to Rohan, just tell me which areas you got the numbers). Both Pre and post Rohan numbers would be great.

Optional Info:
    1) Plugins used

I plan to make some generalizations, easy tweaks for better performance, and more info on how each hardware component affects performance.

I hope this is received well. I will include my own performance info, of course.

You can PM your info or post to this thread, though I prefer a PM for organizational purposes. If you've seen this post before, that is because this is a repost to try and gather more data !
    Link for Mac users

I don't understand what fps is Earlier when I was curious to see what my fps was and if that was good or bad, I checked the forums and found a thread where people said how to check in game. Some people were saying what fps they had, and I saw that I had the same fps as those who complained about theirs being bad and not those who said theirs where good, but I can play with max settings and no lag at all. Everything runs smoothly even in Bree and during events with tons of people.
    What is really a bad number to have, and how can I see the results of having a bad number? Is it lag? Is it something else? Does the numbers get worse if you live far away from Turbine? Sorry about the stupid questions, but I'm curious and don't know anyone I can ask
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

FPS is Frames Per Second, otherwise known as a framerate. It's the rate or speed that your machine processes graphical data at.

In my personal experience, 30-40 (or above) is very good. 20-30 FPS is average. 10-20 is acceptable. 5-10 is painful, and 0-5 is more or less unplayable. However, your mileage may vary. I play on an older laptop that barely meets the basic requirements to play the game. Most of my settings are low or medium. Only one or two (like object draw distance) are set at high. If I had these same settings on a much better computer, my FPS would likely be much higher. For some people, an FPS of 100 might be average. There are a lot of factors here.

The shortcut in game is CTRL+F. Keep in mind that this does NOT reflect lag, at least not in normal terms. FPS has nothing to do with internet speed or anything like that, but has everything to do with your own machine's hardware. Now, if a game demands more than your machine can give, then FPS suffers. If your graphic settings are put to high, then FPS suffers. Lag and FPS are like squares and rectangles. A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square. Low FPS translates or behaves as lag, but is not caused by internet issues.

When you have an internet issue in game, it typically manifests itself in terms of totally stopping in place, rubberbanding, or skills that try to fire but are delayed. This can have nothing to do with your machine's specs. If you're on wifi and that suddenly goes out, this is the type of problem you will experience (particularly the first one).

Poor FPS, caused by hardware/software, manifests in similar ways. Rubberbanding also plays a role here, but usually it comes in terms of stuttering or jerky movements, even jerky panning of the view. For example, in an Epic Battle, my FPS might be pretty high if I zoom in and stare at the ground, and then drop like a rock if I zoom out and look over the walls of the Hornburg. There is a lot more action that demands attention from my machine when I look over the walls, compared to just staring at the ground.

I am not super savvy in terms of electronics and whatnot, but the above is, to my understanding, a basic explanation of FPS and how it relates to your gameplay.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Thank you, Mar-Evayave! That was a very interesting read!

I'm going to keep an eye on my fps in different areas just for fun When standing outside Bree I noticed a huge difference between looking towards the town and turning around and looking away from town, just like in your Hornburg example
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

You're most welcome, Silmelin! I do sometimes keep the FPS tracked as well. It can be interesting to see how it changes based on what you are doing or what you are looking at. I just ported into Frostbluff over on Landroval. It's hovering at about 16 FPS, though fluctuating up and down quite a bit. Lots of people running about. xD
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast