We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Windows 10 Creator's Update Screwed With my Settings

So I just installed the Creator's Update, I log on and see this...

It screwed with my settings, and now everything is squished together and my elf looks like a dwarf. It looks awful, very annoying to play like this. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you in advance

there is that graphics setting reset in client launch window. try that, lol

looks funny.

your Y axis is totally squished.

Happened to me. The fix is easy, on your graphics menu, in game, instead of auto select 16:9 or 16:10 (should be the first, if the PC is recent).

By the way, is anyone using Gamer Mode, to improve performance? How did you do it?
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

Portucale Electus, Evernight

16:9 did it, thank you!

This sometimes happens (certainly with Win7), if you resize the LOTRO screen when windowed; I have had it happen a number of times, the display looks screwed up, even when you reset it in-game - and the UI elements get pushed around and dont reset at all, you have to manually move them back into place and go back to full screen before logging out and back in again..

Of course the new Win10 update has plenty of other issues; dont write anything personally or commercially sensitive on it, as it can be slurped back to M$/NSA/CIA central 'for quality assurance and program de-bugging reasons'.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Of course the new Win10 update has plenty of other issues; dont write anything personally or commercially sensitive on it, as it can be slurped back to M$/NSA/CIA central 'for quality assurance and program de-bugging reasons'.

If we can't trust the government with our data,
    and we can't trust microsoft with our data,
    and we can't trust our ISPs with our data,
    and we can't trust VPNs with our data,
    then I'm so glad we can trust SSG with our data.

Quote Originally Posted by Aftaminas View Post
    By the way, is anyone using Gamer Mode, to improve performance? How did you do it?
    Most of the settings were enabled by default. However, the Game Bar will not show when LotRO is run in full-screen mode.

To tell Windows to use game mode for LotRO, you have go into full screen windowed, click Win+G to bring up the Game Bar, and then click on the Settings icon and enable Game Mode. There are some other settings - I also enabled background recording.

Now you can go back to fullscreen. I don't know of any way to tell whether Game Mode is actually doing anything, but the other features of the Game Bar seem to work.

The documentation says:

Game bar won’t appear for some PC games in full-screen mode. To start and stop recordings without using the Game bar, use the keyboard shortcut Windows logo key+Alt+R to start and stop recording. The screen will flash to indicate the start and end of recording. If background recording is turned on, Windows logo key+Alt+G will record the last few moments of gameplay.
    If the shortcuts don’t work for a full-screen game, press the Windows logo key+G. The screen will flash twice to confirm that the game is recognized. Then, open the game in full screen again.
    I verified that Win+Alt+R does toggle recording on and off in fullscreen mode, and that Win+Alt+G does save the last few minutes of gameplay if you have background recording on.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Zonflux View Post
    Hardi-har.

Now go read one of the many articles on a tech website about how much info Win10 sends back to Redmond, even when set to minimum slurp. If your PC "encounters a problem", whatever documents/photos/videos you have open at that moment will be included in the data they slurp.

Apparently I have another issue. After the update, I had to reinstall the game. Now, everytime I start it, the launcher asks me for the high def textures, and I have to approve the EULA. Everytime time I start

Additionally, everytime I log in, I have to change the aspect ratio from auto to 16:9
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

Sounds like an auto-sandbox issue, however it MAY be a LOTRO issue. I had a similar request 3 days on the trot last week; and all the training info panels started showing again, despite the ticks saying dont show again, and even the screen rez was reset to 1024i.

Make sure LOTRO has the right privileges and try again, or check to see if any security (AV) program might be causing the issue.

I am so hacked off with M$, I am currently installing and trying out Zorin 12.1 on my test machine as we speak, does anyone have any tips for running LOTRO via Linux/WINE??

Apparently I have another issue. After the update, I had to reinstall the game. Now, everytime I start it, the launcher asks me for the high def textures, and I have to approve the EULA. Everytime time I start

Additionally, everytime I log in, I have to change the aspect ratio from auto to 16:9
    There has been a process that players have to do for settings to 'stick' of which they will not do until you exit the game. This has been the case since it's closed beta.

Reset client, log into game, change your settings to what you want, exit the game by logging off and then exit from the Char select screen. You settings should stick then.
    I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ned cae. A han noston ned gwilith.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."
    Alliance of the North -> The Team (Elendilmir) - Conviction (Vilya) - DoME (Gladden)

Quote Originally Posted by Palenen View Post
    There has been a process that players have to do for settings to 'stick' of which they will not do until you exit the game. This has been the case since it's closed beta.

Reset client, log into game, change your settings to what you want, exit the game by logging off and then exit from the Char select screen. You settings should stick then.
    Resetted the settings, did all that, but still resets the AR and the EULA/ToS

Resetted the settings, did all that, but still resets the AR and the EULA/ToS
    ack. Ok. Go into your My Documents\The Lord of the Rings folder\ and BACKUP your UI, Plugins, Plugins Data, Music, (if applicable and if you want to save any of it) folders. Once done, make sure the My Documents\The Lord of the Rings folder\ is empty. Re-start the process and see if that will fix it. The UserPreferences.ini is the config for the game. As example, once you delete that file, It forces to re-create defaults.
    I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ned cae. A han noston ned gwilith.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."
    Alliance of the North -> The Team (Elendilmir) - Conviction (Vilya) - DoME (Gladden)

Zon, It's not about paranoya. It's about our choice and our privacy. Unfortunately, this is all embedded into the MS EULA which no one reads.

Now not even my launcher options stick xD

Now not even my launcher options stick xD
    What firewall and AV programs are you using??

I swapped ZoneAlarm to Comodo, because ZA would constantly randomly block lotro.exe as a new program mid game, but Comodo's sandbox feature has randomly triggered a couple of times, so the programs seemed to install correctly, worked fine, but were gone when I rebooted.

What firewall and AV programs are you using??

I swapped ZoneAlarm to Comodo, because ZA would constantly randomly block lotro.exe as a new program mid game, but Comodo's sandbox feature has randomly triggered a couple of times, so the programs seemed to install correctly, worked fine, but were gone when I rebooted.
    AV is Panda (the ISP offers the subcription) and the firewall is either the one from Panda or the Windows one

I've never used Panda, but from what I have read, it isnt very good.

Anyway, look to see if it has a sandbox setting, and if this has been switched on, or is detecting LOTRO as an unsafe program. You could also try turning it off entirely while trying to re-install LOTRO and see what happens.

BTW, the Windows built in firewall is as much use as a chocolate firedoor, you need something better; Comodo is my current reccomendation, usually I say ZoneAlarm, but there have been too many glitches with it over the last year or two, that they havent really sorted out.

You'd think LOTRO and ZA were run by the same people!!

Hardi-har.

Now go read one of the many articles on a tech website about how much info Win10 sends back to Redmond, even when set to minimum slurp. If your PC "encounters a problem", whatever documents/photos/videos you have open at that moment will be included in the data they slurp.
    You have the choice of running a Linux GUI or MacOS if you dislike Windows so much. As for data collection, I have nothing to hide from Microsoft, government or the authorities so I could care less.

It is pretty important to disable Windows Update sharing to be only PCs on your local network rather than also sharing to PCs on the Internet; when I first installed Windows 10 this was enabled by default and consumed over 120 Gb of data in two weeks. Installing the Creator's Update does not revert this setting as that was the first thing that I checked.

My three biggest gripes about the Creator's Update are;
    1. It pretty much re-downloaded the entire Windows 10 OS again. In the Update Notes they mention that this should no longer happen with future Updates but this was just a facepalm.
    2. It messed up some of the applications that I had installed which then required me to reinstall those applications and drivers; in particular my Asus AI Suite III and Logitech BRIO 4k webcam drivers.
    3. Adobe Flash is hit 'n miss in Microsoft Edge since the Update. Lately I've just been using Google Chrome to view Flash content. I think Edge blocks Flash content when the player is injected into the page rather than using more standard and compatible practices to embed Flash in pages.

There's a new Gamer-mode which you can access while in-game by using the key combination of Win+G, then go into Settings and place a checkmark for Use Gamer Mode for this game; per the description this places the game's process on a higher priority list for the OS.

Other than the new Gamer-mode there's not much else exciting in the Creator's Update.
    • Paint got 3D support
    • VR support
    • a night light (yes you read that right)
    • more control over how Windows Updates are delivered
    • better quality for ultra-hd or 4k displays
    • more advertising in this Update; you can disable a bunch these at https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how...n-advertising/

Overall not the greatest or most impressive of Updates, but my experiences with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 have been very satisfying.

I've never used Panda, but from what I have read, it isnt very good.

Anyway, look to see if it has a sandbox setting, and if this has been switched on, or is detecting LOTRO as an unsafe program. You could also try turning it off entirely while trying to re-install LOTRO and see what happens.

BTW, the Windows built in firewall is as much use as a chocolate firedoor, you need something better; Comodo is my current reccomendation, usually I say ZoneAlarm, but there have been too many glitches with it over the last year or two, that they havent really sorted out.

You'd think LOTRO and ZA were run by the same people!!
    Well, I checked, and the Panda didn't even have the application control activated

Well, I checked, and the Panda didn't even have the application control activated
    OK, if you still havent managed to sort it, try disabling Panda while you do the LOTRO installs, then re-enable it afterwards.

If THAT doesnt work, perhaps it is time to download and run CrystalDiskInfo, to see if there are any issues with your Hard Drive. (if it is a Seagate, I can almost guarantee there will be errors, Seagate drives are cr@p)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonflux View Post
    You have the choice of running a Linux GUI or MacOS if you dislike Windows so much. As for data collection, I have nothing to hide from Microsoft, government or the authorities so I could care less.

"Creeping normality or death by a thousand cuts is the way a major change can be accepted as the normal situation if it happens slowly, in unnoticed increments, when it would be regarded as objectionable if it took place in a single step or short period."

The biggest problem with Windows 10 is it comes with several "features" you may not want running in your background; also, to disable most of these "features" you need to put time on google, use 3rd party programs... In many case you find outdated information and some don't work with all W10 versions. Besides, it happens you may disable a feature that gets re-activated by another update.

As someone who has nothing to hide (ok, maybe a little) I do not want stuff trashing my hardrives when I'm playing a game. Also, I do not want to see unwanted services running in the background. It's simple as that. An the reason I do not use other OS's is because the lack of gaming compatibility, it's not rocket science this is well known among gamers.
    Please ignore my ridiculous running animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerien View Post
    The biggest problem with Windows 10 is it comes with several "features" you may not want running in your background; also, to disable most of these "features" you need to put time on google, use 3rd party programs... In many case you find outdated information and some don't work with all W10 versions. Besides, it happens you may disable a feature that gets re-activated by another update.

As someone who has nothing to hide (ok, maybe a little) I do not want stuff trashing my hardrives when I'm playing a game. Also, I do not want to see unwanted services running in the background. It's simple as that. An the reason I do not use other OS's is because the lack of gaming compatibility, it's not rocket science this is well known among gamers.

I wish the guy behind TinyXP had carried on developing Tiny7 in the same way, then we could have had a cut down version of the OS with all the M$ crud and un-needed services removed, without having to be a super-whizz-kid and dig the crud out one bit at a time. I just dont have the time or energy to dig into Win7, 8, or God forbid, 10, the way I used to hack about 95, 98SE and XP.

TinyXP used to run like a greased weasel compared with a full fat install of XP Pro; yet I never found anything I needed to use had been removed - except Chinese language support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast