We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Fornost - Light in the Dark

According to lotro wiki:

"With update 7 Fornost has been revamped. One of the new challenges is Light in the Dark. In order to complete this, Remmenaeg must be defeated without lighting the braziers too many times. It's not clear what the limit is yet."

This is worth 20 medallions and I haven't been able to do it yet. I was just wondering if anybody has done Fornost shadow without lighting the braziers to finish this challenge.

Regards to you all.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000001516a6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

100 Warden, 48 Hunter, 44 Champ, 42 Loremaster, 39 Runekeeper, 40 Burg, 36 Mini, 33 Guard

I've done the challenge a few times now. It took a fair few attempts the first time, but we got there in the end. It was totally fun and gave us something interesting to do. It felt great when we finally did it .

I've done it. You can light the three braziers, but only two times. So you have to dps the boss hard, and any AoE classes AoE off the Boss to kill the adds. A spirit spawns at the far brazier, that should be killed or mezzed right away as it can kill the healer if you don't. It's a dps race. You must kill the boss before the braziers go out after re-lighting them the second time.

What you do is choose dudes to light braziers. Start the fight and let the tank built threat on the boss for maybe 10 seconds. Then dudes light braziers which spawns the adds. Dudes run to tank and start AoEing off the boss. Adds will attack tank cause he uses AoE taunts. Minstrel or whoever must stun/mez/coc that spirit. Now burn down the boss as hard as you can until the braziers go out.

Now, do not light re-light brazeirs yet, relax a bit and kill off any remaining adds. Get everyones health up to max, and your big dps cooldowns ready, then light braziers again, coc that spirit again, and go crazy DPS on boss.

If dps is high enough boss will die before braziers go out. if not, you must reset the fight and try again since challenge fails if you light the braziers again, and boss cannot be hurt if braziers aren't lit.

Quote Originally Posted by enginekid View Post
    If dps is high enough boss will die before braziers go out. if not, you must reset the fight and try again since challenge fails if you light the braziers again, and boss cannot be hurt if braziers aren't lit.
    Actually you can still do some damage to the boss with bleeds, so if you got him almost down and have some class with bleed skills it might be faster to not reset the fight. The damage will be very low though, so I wouldn't use that tactic if the boss still has a visible amount of morale left.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

From what I read, it's not that you can't damage the boss if the braziers are not lit, it is that the boss has very high ICMR. Same with those falconers in skirmishes (hate them) you can damage them but it takes a long time. So I was thinking if I bring 3 hunters, LM, healer, tank combo maybe the hunter dps will be enough to kill the boss without lighting the brazier at all.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000001516a6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

100 Warden, 48 Hunter, 44 Champ, 42 Loremaster, 39 Runekeeper, 40 Burg, 36 Mini, 33 Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Nebster View Post
    From what I read, it's not that you can't damage the boss if the braziers are not lit, it is that the boss has very high ICMR. Same with those falconers in skirmishes (hate them) you can damage them but it takes a long time. So I was thinking if I bring 3 hunters, LM, healer, tank combo maybe the hunter dps will be enough to kill the boss without lighting the brazier at all.
    No, he absorbs everything until the 3 Braziers are lit. AFAIK the only way to pierce throught it by +X% incoming damage debuffs such as Telling Mark and Reveal Weakness.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    No, he absorbs everything until the 3 Braziers are lit. AFAIK the only way to pierce throught it by +X% incoming damage debuffs such as Telling Mark and Reveal Weakness.
    from this site - http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Remmenaeg

"Initially he has three Continual Major Renewal effects on him (healing), which make him nearly impossible to defeat."

"To remove these effects, the three braziers must be lit. Two are located to the left and right of the entrance, and the last is behind Remmenaeg. They are lit by the character who acquired the Brazier Flint from Einiora. Lighting the right brazier will spawn a swarm of bats, and the left brazier will summon Fell-Spirits."

I'm guessing the morale per second will depend on the level the instance is run. If this information is still correct would it be possible to kill him with three hunters, LM for debuffs and sharing power?

"Initially he has three Continual Major Renewal effects on him (healing), which make him nearly impossible to defeat."

"To remove these effects, the three braziers must be lit. Two are located to the left and right of the entrance, and the last is behind Remmenaeg. They are lit by the character who acquired the Brazier Flint from Einiora. Lighting the right brazier will spawn a swarm of bats, and the left brazier will summon Fell-Spirits."

I'm guessing the morale per second will depend on the level the instance is run. If this information is still correct would it be possible to kill him with three hunters, LM for debuffs and sharing power?
    Forget that entry.

There is no morale per second healed.
    There is no flint.
    Everyone can just light the braziers.

If all three are a-light, the boss will be vulnerable for a number of seconds (30? don't know off-hand), else he will absorb damage, just like BirdOfHermes stated (with the exception that I think that fire-dots from rk/lm might work, other dots are getting absorbed).

For the challenge, you can light at most 7 braziers, meaning you will need to get rid of his ~590k in two cycles or about 300k in one go. Bonus points for outright burning him down.

Note: you will want to light the braziers slightly out-of-sync or you might encounter the problem of the absorb-buff not actually being removed.

HTH,
    SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

dude. everything i wrote was 100%

don't listen to the guy about stacking bleeds or whatever. the boss can't be hurt when the braziers go out.

end of story.

That is a description of the old fight, it was completely changed a year or so ago.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Okay. Thank you all for your help. I will do as you guys suggested.

Okay. Thank you all for your help. I will do as you guys suggested.
    I'm the only poster who suggested how to complete the challenge.

Bring a Cappy, have them use oathbreakers for 10 seconds of mega damage. That takes care of the first segment. While he's got shield up, have the tank hold aggro and wait for any cooldowns if necessary. Oathbreakers are a five minute cooldown, FYI, if you need it again. There is no time constraint so wait for a cooldown if needed.

Cappy can also use telling mark for extra 10%, then blade brother a main dps for 25% extra to his damage and small fellowship buff to damage. Should have no problem then!

Agreed with poster above on the spirit that spawns at the middle(where boss spawns). Nasty full aoe damage and hits hard. Take him out quick, otherwise not a hard challenge with the right group.

Edit: agree with other poster that the boss might not loose his shield if all three are lit at once, happened the other night.

That is a description of the old fight, it was completely changed a year or so ago.
    I still have the flint from the old Fornost shadow fight in my vault. I like to collect odd things
    Markbjorn 95 Guardian
    Markthorin 95 Runekeeper

One of the times i finished Forst shadow we left the boss with 60k morale after the second brazier run. we where about to give up challenge when we realized that somehow the boss morale was going slowing down while we auto-attacked.
    Turns out that the erebor necklaces damage procs where bypassing the boss damage resistance, exactly as their tooltips would imply. I do know that it is pretty rare that turbine make something WAI, but it seems to be the cause, at least as long necklaces damage procs and boss skills apply.

My first run we did challenge by using 2 tanks- one warden for the adds and one cappy for the boss, waiting the oathbreakers cooldown between braziers runs. Other runs where made the usual way of mezzing the ghost add and dpsing the boss.

I am not sure if damaging the boss using the necklaces count as an exploit. as far as i understand reading both tooltips, its WAI. Even if all 6 party members use both necklace and pocket with this proc, expect a long fight, as we took about 20 min to finish that 60k morale.

I'm surprised nobody edited/corrected it, so I did: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Remmenaeg#Tactics

Per this thread and having done the challenge last night, please verify mistakes don't remain!

Last night we lit all the braziers relatively simultaneously, in fact the folks lighting braziers were given a countdown, no troubles.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    I'm surprised nobody edited/corrected it, so I did: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Remmenaeg#Tactics

Per this thread and having done the challenge last night, please verify mistakes don't remain!

Last night we lit all the braziers relatively simultaneously, in fact the folks lighting braziers were given a countdown, no troubles.
    yup. we light them on a countdown too. no issues.

Additionally to the necklaces and pocket-items one can damage Remmenaeg with Glorious Exchange and probably Reactive Block as well. Just be sure to remove those morale draining fear effects and the boss will not heal himself.

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post

The "Continual Major Renewal" effect is still in that entry. This is what threw me off in the first place since I thought you can counter this effect with major dps from three hunters. As SNy-lotrolinux-EU mentioned, there is no morale per second healed. Is this an oversight or has the effect changed?

I did this on my warden and it gave 8 seals.
    Can I has fixed Fornost and ITA lootboxes?