We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How do you organise a raid?

I know this may seem like a stupid question but our Kinship, Illuminati of Patriots, wants to include raids within the Kinship but we don't know how to organise one. Is it just like a instance or is it a bit more extravagant? We have a guild launch page if that makes it any easier to organise. Please feel free to post any advice you may have.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000e8c37/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Well, you kinda just got to do it. It's like organizing a meeting, but with 12 people. Agree to a start and stop time. Have people agree to be there on time. Is there a prerequiste for the raid? Has anyone done it before that can lead? Do you have the classes you'll need? Let people sign up as backups. Will you be using a voice server and is it required? What do toons need to being (pots, scrolls, etc)?

There's no substitute for experience and the only way you are going to get that is by doing it.

If you have something specific in mind you want help with you might want to list what it is, how many people you have, their levels, and their classes.
    \\ Galidin \\ Unpossible \\ Rawlor \\
    ...::: Defenders of the Lost Light - Brandywine :::...

Quote Originally Posted by Agorand View Post
    I know this may seem like a stupid question but our Kinship, Illuminati of Patriots, wants to include raids within the Kinship but we don't know how to organise one. Is it just like a instance or is it a bit more extravagant? We have a guild launch page if that makes it any easier to organise. Please feel free to post any advice you may have.
    Ok, a few basics.

1. Someone has to know the raid mechanics (how to kill bosses, levers, poison clouds, classes needed, etc). Many good guides on the internet for the particular raids.

2. Start a fellowship by inviting at least 1 person. At that point the Fellowship leader can right click on their portrait, go to fellowship and convert to raid. This allows up to 12/24 people to join depending on the raid limit.

3. Invite the rest of your kinnies to join the raid.

4. Hit the letter "O", click on the raid tab. Now arrange your raid fellowships group for balance. Certain class skills do not cross fellowships so some class/skill duplication is required.

5. Hit sft-F for the instance panel, click on the third tab, drill down until you get to the raid/skim of your choice and select it. At the top pick T1 or T2 depending on what is available.

6. Go kill mobs

These are the basic steps but there is a whole lot to raiding such as who leads, people watching for fight mechanics, etc. Best would to hook up with a more experienced kin to borrow an experienced leader for a few runs. Run raids over level so as to get raid experience and less worry about dying.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

If you are on the Meneldor server send me a tell and I will help you out. You can come on a raid with me to see how it is done.

~Dadi

Raiding doityourself:

1. Pick an instance
    2. Read a guide
    3. Grab 11 others.
    4. Explain to them, and this is really important, that this is Wipe Night.
    5. Setup the raid, main tank, dps, cc, rat, healing.
    6. Explain the first fight, dont overdo it. Remember the basics: what are we killing, how do we kill it, how does it kill us, does it have friends, are there special or enviromental effects?
    7. Charge.
    8. Wipe.
    9. Be nice, no shouting. You need to learn to fight as a team. Blame comes to the raid leader. He is in charge. Or she. Its his job to keep everyone happy so they have a good time. Happy. A good time. This is a game, to have fun with.

11. posting on my cellphone, so multiple posts... Stupid thing wont let ne scroll.
    Roses are red, Polar bears are white, if you meet one at night you'll get quite a fright.

12. Analyze: what went wrong? Does everyone know their part? Where to stand, whatto avoid? do you have to watch for eberything? Can you delegate tasks? Everyone following the RAT? Was the voip channel noisy? Tell em to stuff it. Itswipe night.

Oh. Food, tokens scrolls, buffs, etc... All are very usefull. Ill grab my list later, its on our private forum.

Start simple and work your way up. Do the turtle run (filukulthingie). Yeah, a straight dps race and a pushover, but its a 12 man. The helogrod. Helegrod is an wexelkent training area, it has mechanics, hazards, but is fairly forgiving when it.comes to mistakes, and it is fun.now you canbuild up to more didficult raids, OD, the nazgul... The newest raids, with the exception of fires of smaug, if pkayed on t1, are.hRdly worth the effort. No fun mechanics. T2 chalkenge modes are different beasts.

Have fun
    Roses are red, Polar bears are white, if you meet one at night you'll get quite a fright.

Thank you for your help everyone. I will be sure to implement the great advice you have given me. I seriously cant thank you enough for your advice and support.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000e8c37/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Most raids will need 2 tanks, 2 healers, and it really helps to have 2 captains for the various buffs and off-healing. After that, different raids need different class combinations. Once you know the raid, you can often get away with a lot of variation, but it helps to do it first with a fairly classic set up, with tanks, healers, and captains.

Since you have a guild website, I would suggest putting up a sign-up there, so you know you will have at least the key classes lined up, and people know when to be online. It is extremely frustrating to have 11 people waiting at raid time and to be missing a class with a key role.

The other thing is to make sure that everyone knows to come with a large stack of morale and power pots, wound/poison/disease/fear pots, any food they want to use, hope tokens, and battle and warding scrolls. When you are learning a raid, you tend to wipe quite a lot, and you'll end up needing different people to use scrolls and tokens to rebuff after each wipe, so you can go through a lot of them. If someone dies during the fight and is rezzed, they will need a hope token, so its best if everyone has a stack. Some raids will require you to clear wounds/poisons/fear/disease debuffs quickly, so it's good policy for everyone to come prepared.
    [COLOR="#800080"][FONT=Arial Black]A Vote for Sapience is still a vote for progress![/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by revoked View Post
    Most raids will need 2 tanks, 2 healers, and it really helps to have 2 captains for the various buffs and off-healing.
    I'd add at least 1 LM for CC/debuffs.

The easiest way to get people on for a raid is using the Kin Message of the Day. For example, our current MOTD looks like "Tues Saruman 8PM EST Wed BFE T2C 10PM EST; Thur Kin Creep Night." Letting people know a day or two in advance is really helpful.

and a follow up after reading some of the excellent posts here:

1) Consumables - every person should have ~20 of all the pots. Have the class items needed for success ex: on my RK I carry nestads and enamels, could not be with out them, and everyone needs 5+ hope as a rule. Battle and defensive scrolls.

2) As noted - have fun with it. Some of the raids I have enjoyed the most were wipes. Granted we were there for the win, but with the right group even a wipe can still be fun.

3) Even one Cappy cannot be overstated. Cappys are game changers for the win. One LM will suffice but 2 is not overkill.

4) We prefer to state our raid times as /servertime. makes it easier for the kin members all over the world to know exactly when we are starting.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.