We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is there a UI Setting for closing TargetBoxes and another for auto-entering Doors?

I am frustrated by two things again and again so I thought I would ask if I am missing some UI setting that I can change.

First: The target box stays up even after I am done interacting with some characters and items. Is there some UI setting that automatically closes a completed interaction?
    * After interacting with quest npcs they remain targetted. So, when a hostile character attacks me I remain targetted on the friendly (even when a distance away). I would like to see the npc become untargetted when I accept or decline a quest.
    * The same thing happens with chests or quest item interactions. The target remains long after I am done interacting with the item. I would like to see the item become untargetted when it closes or completes its action (progress bar ends so why remain targetted? see interacting with mining ore for a good example of UI working well)

Second: I am also frustated by the fact of trying to get through some doors. I have opened the door and yet because of silly door trim or embellishments around the door I have to realign my position many times until the server allows me through the damned door. Is there a UI setting that allows you to automatically enter through a door once you have opened it?

Please note I have gone through the multitude of UI Settings three times, but haven't seen anything that applies. However, since there are so many settings I may have missed the above solutions.

Thanks,
    Shaddeth

The 'Esc' key will quickly close all open UI windows as well as deselecting your target.

There is no auto-enter function for doors, I usually use 'Del' and 'U' (or in my case the space bar since I remapped it) to select and open doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    The 'Esc' key will quickly close all open UI windows as well as deselecting your target.
    Yeah, I understand and use that. However, the ESCAPE key is not a good user experience for reasons I could point to, but doubt anyone but a UI Designer would care about. Anyway, thanks for the reply and feedback on both issues.

There is no auto-enter function for doors, I usually use 'Del' and 'U' (or in my case the space bar since I remapped it) to select and open doors.
    A shame that there isn't. Worse case would have been a Control-Keystroke option I could have lived with. Haha, I will live with the current frustration (until I leave, if ever).

There really is no difference between selecting a NPC vs an object (e.g. chest, node). The NPC is really just another object. The behavior is the same. You are the one that chooses what is selected, not the server. So you are the one in control. This is how it should be. A selected object will remain selected so long as you remain within a certain distance of it or so long as the object remains in the game world. The object gets deselected only if you move too far from it or when the object gets removed from the game world.

With an ore node, if you empty it the node is deselected because the node is removed from the game world and it no longer exists. If you leave at least one item in it, it will act the same as the NPC because the node remains and exists in the game world. Even after closing the loot box the node remains selected because it exists in the game world.

With the NPC, when you are done talking to them they still exist in the game world and so they remain selected. However, if they move you to an instance or another region they will be deselected because you are no longer in range (or, they do not exist in the game for you as you are now in a different part of the game that does not include them).

The behavior is consistent no matter what the object is. I just click on the open ground to deselect them either while reading the quest dialogue (yes, I read the entire thing) or as I move away from them. It's so much of a habit I don't even think about having to do it.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

Quote Originally Posted by Penter-Kar View Post
    I just click on the open ground to deselect them either while reading the quest dialogue (yes, I read the entire thing) or as I move away from them. It's so much of a habit I don't even think about having to do it.
    Great tip. Now I can keep my hand on the mouse and not have to look down.