We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What actually determines dps?

Hi all,

Hoping someone can clear this question up for me.

So, basically what I am wondering is what actually determines dps on a hunter?

Most hunters stack agility, which gives 10 points of physical mastery per 1 point of agility (along with evade rating etc, just interested in the dps here though).

So, is it actually the physical mastery that determines the amount of dps a hunter can dish out, not the agility? Is agility on a hunter just the most efficient way of increasing physical mastery?

If yes, would this mean some crafted Jewellery - such as the Agile Ring of Eomer which only has 133 agility, but also has 384 physical mastery, in-combat regens etc - would be comparable with regard to dps, to instance drop Jewellery that has 150 agility?

Hope I'm not just being thick lol.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ellieni; Jul 08 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Meant mastery not mitigation

Quote Originally Posted by Ellieni View Post
    Most hunters stack agility, which gives 10 points of physical mastery per 1 point of agility (along with evade rating etc, just interested in the dps here though).

So, is it actually the physical mastery that determines the amount of dps a hunter can dish out, not the agility? Is agility on a hunter just the most efficient way of increasing physical mastery ?
    Wrong section

Agility also increases your Critical Rating, which increases Critical Chance (and fairly recently - Critical Magnitude as well). Physical Mastery (whether you increase it directly or through Agility) is merely the easiest way to see how damage number on skill tooltip goes up. It gives you the idea how much you are getting in terms of firing off a single skill, but it's not everything that constitutes DPS. (Fate has gotten more important than it used to be, then there's Finesse - while it doesn't really do anything to your damage, ignoring it leads to lower DPS due to mob suddenly avoiding your attacks better - armor sets are pretty well equipped in that department though)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellieni View Post
    If yes, would this mean some crafted Jewellery - such as the Agile Ring of Eomer which only has 133 agility, but also has 384 physical mit, in-combat regens etc - would be comparable with regard to dps, to instance drop Jewellery that has 150 agility?
    If we decide we do not want higher Crit Rating and ignore avoidances, Eomer offers additional 214 PM (icpr can improve DPS indirectly, but it also depends on content and your group). Determining which piece is worth more is tricky, as it has to include your overall build (at some point increasing Crit Rating is no longer as beneficial... but, given associated choices and costs, same story can be told about Physical Mastery). I am sure folks in Hunter section could offer plenty of contradicting while still reasonable ideas about the specifics
    Last edited by Ferthcott; Jul 08 2013 at 08:52 AM.

Cheers Ferthcott, much appreciated.

My bad for putting it in General. Only just realised each class has a sub forum.
    Last edited by Ellieni; Jul 08 2013 at 09:06 AM.

I think you mean 'physical mastery'. Physical mitigation is something else. Agility is the prime determinant of DPS but basically it's all about trade-offs. More AG might mean low vitality and low mitigations. It's also a question of trading off against your own ability. I'm not as young as I was and probably run with a much more conservative build - with higher mitigations, finesse, vitality etc - than a 'better' player than me would.

Another thing that's often forgotten is attack speed. If you have two hunters with the same phys mastery and crit magnitude, and the same skill modifiers, then the one who attacks faster will do more damage. In theory the red line is the raw damage line, while the blue is speed - but I've always done more damage and crucially more controllable damage in blue than red.

Quote Originally Posted by Kongas View Post
    I think you mean 'physical mastery'.
    *facepalm*

Yes, lol.

Have edited post to correct.
    Last edited by Ellieni; Jul 08 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Okay, this is all good. But what exactly IS dps? And how does it really work?

dps = damage per second?

or

dps = damage per shot?

1: If it's damage per second: how many seconds does it last?

2: Suppose I hit a goblin one time with (insert weapon here) with 200damage/50dps. What really happens?

3: Do I knock off 200 hp's plus 50 hp's for one second?

4: Does that 50dps last for as long as I'm in combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Branthil View Post

dps = damage per second?

or

dps = damage per shot?

2: Suppose I hit a goblin one time with (insert weapon here) with 200damage/50dps. What really happens?

You can't actually measure it per second or for a single target, DPS is just the average per second over a period. You would need to a reasonable sample and see how much damage you've done in the time it takes to kill them - there are plugins that will do this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Branthil View Post

dps = damage per second?

or

dps = damage per shot?

It is damage per second. In your example it would mean a single hit does 200dmg. The animation/cooldown takes perhaps 4 seconds. So you can do 200damage every 4 seconds -> an average of 50 damage per second.

Hunters strongest skills need focus, but they only get focus from skills with induction. So skill rotation is also very important for dps. Focus gain and reduced induction time is also what makes the blue line interesting, even though it doesn't add raw damage as the red line does.
    Last edited by Smartig; Jul 08 2013 at 03:18 PM.