We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    1. Star Control 2 (played it through 3 times, most recently last year, still a blast)
    2. X-Com the original
    3. Ultima... hard to pick a favorite, probably 6
    4. Lemmings and sequels
    5. Starflight (huge game for the time!)
    6. Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    1. Star Control 2 (played it through 3 times, most recently last year, still a blast)
    \
    I've heard about that game constantly through the last 25 years and I have never played it, heard a lot of good things about it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I've heard about that game constantly through the last 25 years and I have never played it, heard a lot of good things about it.
    I think there were 3 of them, but yeah Star Control 2 was my fav and really the only one I remember. I'm thinking you can get this game on the cheap or possibly even free now. Now you got me wanting to go dig up my copy Vilan!

Here ya go Nymph. 1 and 2 for $6. Totally worth it.

http://www.gog.com/game/star_control_1_2
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Aug 24 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Star Control 2 is available free at sc2.sourceforge.net for those who want it. They named it "The Ur-Quan Masters" but it's totally legit and supported by the original game creators. Works properly on modern systems and even comes with voices from the 3DO version that weren't available on the original PC version, makes it even better. If you like exploration games at all, you won't regret it!

My favourites

1) BfME2, the Rise of the Witch-king expansion
    2) LotRO
    3) Rome Total War
    4) Skyrim
    5) Minecraft

Star Control 2 is available free at sc2.sourceforge.net for those who want it. They named it "The Ur-Quan Masters" but it's totally legit and supported by the original game creators. Works properly on modern systems and even comes with voices from the 3DO version that weren't available on the original PC version, makes it even better. If you like exploration games at all, you won't regret it!

I started playing last night, Great Sauron, that game is addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by Enzaraen View Post
    3) Rome Total War
    That game totally rocks. "All of Rome will be amazed at such a victory. The day is ooouuuurs!!"
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

1) Lord of the rings online. {Tolkien lore wins hands down}
    2) Call of duty. {The original, united offensive and 2 were the best, WWII. Some of the best times with friends were playing this game. Now, with all this modern day conspiracy #### thanks to our lovely new world order, I don't play this game. But those 3 games, awesome fun with friends.}
    3) World of warcraft. {Open world pvp, end game raiding, flying mounts...etc. Had a blast playing this game, classic and burning crusades that is. Game went bye bye after that for me anyways.}
    4) Metal gear solid 3: snake eater {Ya, for a playstation 2 game, sweet.}
    5) Lord of rings: Battle for middle-earth. {Great game. Lots of fun here as well.}
    [CENTER] “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

~ Bilbo Baggins * J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings [/CENTER]

3 Fountain Street, Towerglan, Bree-land Homesteads, Arkenstone, Sweden
    I am only able to mention three game (series) that have kept me coming back to them and play them over and over again. These below are the first titles of each series.

All these games were more or less revolutionary when they appeared on the market, for one reason or the other.

Dawn of War is still very much relevant with Space Marine launched in 2011 and an MMO being made (according to some), Ground Control is gone and Homeworld is getting a spiritual successor in Homeworld Shipbreakers:

Lord of The Rings Online have kept me busy the last few months so I am definitely giving it a thumbs up, yet I see disturbing tendencies towards how the game is being developed and the attitude of parts of this community. I am in, I like it and I will keep playing it the way I see fit, but I am also hoping for a mayor overhaul in graphics and gameplay simplicity and consistency.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Arkenstone :
    Malancil 105 CHN, Historian | Gilthiron 102 CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang 76 WDN, Woodsman
    Anancite 71 GRD, Armourer | Tarostel 54 HNT, Armsman | Angredeth 95 HNT, Tinker

Four choices but seven games:

1. Planescape: Torment

This had me going for hours and hours, exploring all the avenues provided by the text choices. Only had one original play and about two replays before you'd explored everything possible, but it was the most interesting game I had ever played. Dragged it out of storage and gave it one more shot about 8 years later after I'd forgotten most of it. Almost got the same thrill as first time through.

2. Baldur's Gate I & II and Icewind Dale I & II

Dungeons & Dragons on a computer and I did not have to be the DM. Great fun. Damn near wore out the CDs playing these.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!"
    "Squeee-eee! Squee-eee!"

3. DnD on VAX/VMS

Ascii text D&D, more or less. Bonus point with your manager at the software company because they saw that you were still "working" when they left at 7PM.

4. LOTRO

Because it's fun and it's "Lord of the Rings"
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Current games

1 Lotro
    2 Master of orion
    3 Descent 3
    4 Elite Plus
    5 Wing Commander 1,2 and 3
    6 Star Ruler

Not released yet New Games Alpha Stage

1 Elite Dangerous (Like Elite Plus but with better graphics)
    2 Star Citizen (Like Wing Commander but with Better graphics)
    3 Star Ruler 2 (Like Master of Orion but in real time and better graphics)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000266693/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][U][COLOR=#0000be]
    [/COLOR][/U]

1. RuneScape - I know, kids game, but hours and hours of my youth went into this. Everything was so immensly simple and still so much fun.
    2. Age of Empires - Legendary
    3. GTA Vice City/San Andreas - Played both top to bottom.
    4. Stronghold Crusader - Loads of fun with friends in a map.
    5. Kings of Chaos - Pure tactics, lot of fun and not needing to spend that much time if not wanting too.
    +Moose+ tells you, 'Do you still need me to put the smack down on this foe??'

Quote Originally Posted by Killerunicorn5 View Post
    Well, this is my top 10, not 5.

1) The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (Where it all started)

2) The Elder Scrolls 3) Morrowind

3) The Elder Scrolls 5) Skyrim

4) Mount & Blade: Warband

5) Lord of the Rings Online

6) Minecraft

7) Team Fortress 2

8.) Legends of Equestria (Still in production, went through resent stress test).

9) Left 4 Dead 2 (Even though the friendly NPCs "try" to get me killed)

10) Civilizations 5
    OMG (Goodness) I didn't know they're making Legends of equestria!!! I just looked it up and it's on my WANT WANT WANT list! that and Camelot unchained...
    I use to wonder what friendship could be...
    Until you all shared this magic with me!

5. Torchlight 2
    4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    3. Dark Age of Camelot
    2. Metroid Prime (Honestly, every Metroid game; it's hard to pick a single one for me)
    1. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (Also difficult to pick between the original by Bioware and the sequel by Obsidian)
    "I am gloating so, so very much right now. Everyone called me a fool to do every deed! People pointed and laughed! And now, I have a horse with a smock! HAHAHAHAHA" - Anamatronix

PC Games

• Lord of the Rings Online
    • Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
    • The Sims 2
    • Grand Theft Auto IV
    • Age of Empires III The Asian Dynasties

Console Games

PlayStation 2

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    • Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

Nintendo GameCube

• Pokemon Colosseum
    • King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie

PC (other than LOTRO):

- Outcast
    - Ultima 7 (both parts)
    - Ultima Underworld (1 and 2)
    - System Shock (1st)
    - Darklands

Plenty of others after that (Morrowind and Skyrim almost made the list), but these set the stage for me, so they have nostalgia value.

[edit] - and you can see why I think GOG.com is the best website ever.

Crysis 3

Wow(World of Warcraft

GC/Wii emulators games(Mostly Metroid prime series

Gta series

Skyrim

GT series( Gran turismo series

Battlefield 3

MGR: Rising

Super Smash Bros melee

DW Gumdam series

Dark Souls

Ratchet: Deadlocked(PS2)

L4d2

Super Metroid(SNES)

Minecraft

1) Age of Empires II / The Conquerors/ Forgotten Empires
    2) Age of Mythology
    3) Red Alert 2
    4) Stronghold: Crusader
    5) Mass Effect 1

I want AOE IV! Ensemble studios shutting down was one of the biggest disappointments i've ever had in my gaming life
    Last edited by unip0pcorn; Feb 01 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unip0pcorn View Post
    1) Age of Empires II / The Conquerors/ Forgotten Empires
    2) Age of Mythology
    3) Red Alert 2
    4) Stronghold: Crusader
    5) Mass Effect 1

I want AOE IV! Ensemble studios shutting down was one of the biggest disappointments i've ever had in my gaming life

That just breaks my heart. *cries*

I play AoE II at least 4 times a week with the new Xpac. I love the Ludicrous size zone!

Somone above listed Ultima 7 both parts. Totally fantastic game.

Age of Empires was an awesome series, but I guess one must move on eventually. As of 2014, the top games I play are:

1. LOTRO
    2. The Sims 3
    3. Orcs Must Die!
    4. Skyrim
    5. TF2

There is a major gap between LOTRO and Sims 3 cos I play the former a lot more; on Steam I have over 900 hours recorded game time.
    [CENTER][I]Mephistopholes - Level 100 Champion (Focus: Tank)
    ~Never Alone~[/I][/CENTER]

1. LOTRO
    2. The Last of Us
    3. The Uncharted series
    4. The Stronghold series
    5. The Assassin's Creed series

I could not just list individual games, so I listed their series.
    Riddermark Freeps and Creeps: Morgunith, LM/Hadellost, Burglar/Nukzat, Reaver Rank 6
    Meneldor Freeps and Creeps: Cambanod, Cpt

5. LoTRo

4. Balder's Gate (either)

3. Neverwinter Nights (any)

2. City of Heroes

1. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (As an experience it was truly unique and a lot of fun!)

LoTRo might be higher on the list if all my earned TP hadn't vanished after I had to take a break from the game for real life needs.
    I could even be willing to say Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is number 5 over it because of that... but also because it was one of the first of such games I have fond memories of.

My actual list of played games is probably smaller than most anyway.
    What Could You Gain From Gaming?
    Find out as Chess discovers for himself in
    The Myth Prosaic: Book I of The Mythic Chess Set
    Read free @ http://seedarkly.com

In the chronological order:

1) Zeliard
    2) King's Bounty and as a followup Heroes of Might and Magic 2. (HOMM 3-6 had lesser impact on me as a gamer)
    3) Albion (after this game I fell in love with RPG completely. It is even the only game where I fell in love with a computer character. I got the disc a month after the game's international release and was replaying it dozens of times. Last time 2 years ago, 1995's graphics is good enough for me)
    4) Might and Magic 6 (my favourite of that series)
    5) Lotro (it did take many years of my life)

I wish there was enough space on the pedestal to mention F-19, Civ 1-5, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 1-2, Diablo 1-2 and many many others... but after looking back at the 25 years of my gaming some games really stand out more, and those I listed.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Kadarka - MNS 105 / Ishtarel - HNT 105 / Ishtaridas - LRM 105
    Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105

The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

1/ Baldurs Gate (1&2 plus expansions) will always be my first love!

2/ Sims. All games. Cos i'm a sadist and like to sometimes play a simple time sink where I am god.

3/ Dragon Age (1&2 - no, I didn't hate the 2nd one lol) Can't wait for the release of Inquisitor.

4/ Lotro.

That's it really, don't have a top 5 - I play a game and either love it to death or couldn't care less. I have played many many games, the above are the only ones I would play again and again.
    [URL="http://www.sigcreator.com/"]Proud Officer and band member of 'Under The Sunlit Sky'

[IMG]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/56621691lotro_lotro08.png[/IMG][/URL]

3. Ultima... hard to pick a favorite, probably 6
    I cannot believe I missed this part of the post. Ultima 6 rocked. Had a party of 7 people, got to build a hot air balloon and fly over the world, you could jump on a ship and travel the seas, travel over land to get some where, or take one of the underground caverns that sometimes went under the ocean.

To this day I still have the soundtrack in my head.

Hi,

No particular order and lotro not on the list because it's pretty obvious i play it

Age of Wonders 1. Some of the Maps and campagnes made by players like finger and arctic Wolf are so good ( and hard! ) i still fire it up now and again. TBS at it's best, and the game that got me and my wife playing together. She even learned to make maps on her own so i always had new content. An act of love for sure

Stalker, all of them really. Heavily modded it's still the fps i enjoy the most.

Fallout 1,2,3 because War, War never changes...

Oblivion, OOO-modded. Original leveling-system was just to strange.

Myst-series. Another 'perfect to solve together'-game

Hard to pick only 5 really, there are many others, but 5 was the rule, so i won't mention any more...

Regards
    Gordon Freeman...
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast