We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A couple absolute eye-sores that the devs should really fix...

1. Cloaks clipping w/ weapons on player's backs. This is the only game I've seen this problem in, and it is bad.
    2. Male elf idle stance. What are they doing? They look like mannequins.

Just a little constructive criticism, that I hope the devs will consider. Anybody got anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJarvisMan View Post
    1. Cloaks clipping w/ weapons on player's backs. This is the only game I've seen this problem in, and it is bad.
    2. Male elf idle stance. What are they doing? They look like mannequins.

Just a little constructive criticism, that I hope the devs will consider. Anybody got anything else?
    1. Cloaks clip in nearly all MMO's, i've not seen one in which they don't, DAoC they used to clip through legs as they ran, warhammer online shields look like they're severing the players arms because of clipping, even WoW has issues with clipping ...

2. I agree Elves idle poses are horrible.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Agree about the cloaks. Looks TERRIBLE to have your bow poking through it. Not sure what exactly can be done, though, that wouldn't take a lot of work--possibly better spent on other things. Then again--its such a major break to the cosmetic look I wouldn't consider it trivial, anymore than any cosmetic aspect of the game is.

Agree on the male elf thing. Looks like they have back problems.
    I7-950, Sabertooth X58, 6950, 840SSD (250gig), 6gb ram, 1920x1200 28i, Win 8

Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    Agree about the cloaks. Looks TERRIBLE to have your bow poking through it. Not sure what exactly can be done....
    Using a bow? Equip a quiver, not a cloak - it's what they are for.

Clipping happens in all games. It is a limitation of the game engine that the art and design people mitigate as far as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivan View Post
    Using a bow? Equip a quiver, not a cloak - it's what they are for.

Clipping happens in all games. It is a limitation of the game engine that the art and design people mitigate as far as they can.
    No, quivers are cosmetics that are used some times--no way the intent is for NO hunter in the game to wear a cloak, ever. There are tons of beautiful cloaks, many awarded for accomplishments. But hunters aren't supposed to EVER wear them? Yeah, no.

No one's saying it's not in other games--but to say it's a "limitation" of the game engine is silly. It would take a lot of work but it's not beyond the laws of physics to make a set of cloak models that flow around generic bow coordinates--it wouldn't be perfect but would be a lot better than what they have now. Or just an option to remove the bow graphic when the cloak is put on.

No one's saying it's not in other games--but to say it's a "limitation" of the game engine is silly.
    Perhaps in ten years we will achieve the ability for game engines to render our avatars with this kind of gear without clipping. It is not possible in 2013.
    It would take a lot of work but it's not beyond the laws of physics to make a set of cloak models that flow around generic bow coordinates--it wouldn't be perfect but would be a lot better than what they have now.
    This alternative will not happen because of implementation cost. Plus the inability of our PCs to have a decent frame rate due to the amount of time it take to render each frame.
    Or just an option to remove the bow graphic when the cloak is put on.
    What Turbine does to deal with some of the clipping issues to automatically not render the offending items so there is no clipping. You will notice that when you ride a horse the shield and weapons are not renders because they clipped into the horse. In other cases, they changed the artwork to prevent clipping. For example, there used to be axes that when equipped by a dwarf it looked like they were plowing fields because the blades were in the ground. Turbine made the axes smaller so they no longer dug into the ground.

Swtor resolves the cloak clipping issue by not having cloaks. The closest thing to a cloak is the Sith and Jedi robes. These classes wear their small weapons on the right and left hip (for dual wielding). There is no clipping issue. Smugglers might something that looks like a cloak again they are a small hip weapon class.

Players were very vocal about wanting cloaks in Lotro. When the customers were informed that there would be serious clipping issues, the customers stated fine - we want the cloaks. We do not care if our bow stick thru the cloak for Champions, Guardians and Hunters. Or thru the Halberd or Great Sword for Captains...
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

No, quivers are cosmetics that are used some times--no way the intent is for NO hunter in the game to wear a cloak, ever. There are tons of beautiful cloaks, many awarded for accomplishments. But hunters aren't supposed to EVER wear them? Yeah, no.

No one's saying it's not in other games--but to say it's a "limitation" of the game engine is silly. It would take a lot of work but it's not beyond the laws of physics to make a set of cloak models that flow around generic bow coordinates--it wouldn't be perfect but would be a lot better than what they have now. Or just an option to remove the bow graphic when the cloak is put on.
    Because of the nature of MMO's it is fairly much impossible to get absolutely no clipping issues in an mmo. To reduce lag and other issues character models and the items they wear have to be restrictive on how much data is used to render them, hey usually do this by reducing polygons etc, one of the drawbacks of that is you can either have cloaks that "wrap" around the characters that move when you move but clip, or stiff as a board cloaks that don't move and look horrible, most mmo's go with the former. They could alleviate clipping a little by adjusting the positioning of weapons, but this usually means simply moving the weapon away form the cloak until it doesn't clip any more, most people would complain about floating weapons if they did that.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    but this usually means simply moving the weapon away form the cloak until it doesn't clip any more, most people would complain about floating weapons if they did that.
    As I mentioned Swtor does not clipping issues because they do not allow weapons and cloaks and interact. If you have a class with big weapon on the back, that class can not wear a cloak. In other cases Swtor does not render the item. You have a helmet and hooded robe - only the hood is rendered. You have to take off the robe for the helmet to show.

Given the severity of bows and other weapons clipping with cloaks Turbine should have automatically not rendered the weapons. Or perhaps given us an option to pick which one should be rendered.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Yep. If they don't want to invest in new cloak models and animations that flow around known generic weapon coordinates, then just simply adding an option to turn off weapons showing would be a big improvement. I'd actually like two such options--one that's "no weapon shows, all the time" and another that's a "no weapon shows when cloak is equipped" kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post

Given the severity of bows and other weapons clipping with cloaks Turbine should have automatically not rendered the weapons. Or perhaps given us an option to pick which one should be rendered.

This right here. I have often said I wish we could turn off the rendering of the bows (from a champion's pov). That has more to do with people offering my champ fire oils due to the longbow sticking out of my cloak (yes it's a longbow; no, I am not happy to see you)

I don't care so much about the weapon in the cape, i have seen that in all MMos.

But the elf stance i dislike...not the worst thing in the game but i do hope they change it.
    Truth and Justice