We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hunter Improvement Help?

I've been playing a hunter for a while, and so far things have been going pretty well, except for that fact that I am currently running around Angmar, and it seems to be going out of its way to inform me that I don't have the best build (and yes, I know Angmar has a lot of group content, but I'm a flippin' hunter and should be able to solo the solo quests without dying or fleeing all the time). I've been researching build recommendations and suggestions, but I've yet to find one that feels right.

Currently, I have a level 49 Bree-Land hunter (Dunedain Ranger theme; I'm a compulsive roleplayer), equipped with the best bow (longbow, not crossbow) and sword/dagger pair that I can find (no Legendaries, because I'm not starting on Volume II till I finish Volume I). I know that Agility is the hunter's primary stat, and that (by extension) the trait Determination is a must. I love Precision Stance for the focus generation and crit rates, though if I couldn't have that I'd go for Endurance (though I really do love Precision). I tend to prefer class traits from the Bowman and Huntsman lines. I don't use buffs very often (aside from item buffs like weapon oils or the occasional bow chant), but I suppose I could learn to do so.

I'd give a complete listing of traits, but unfortunately I'm having to re-install the game right now. Any assistance in developing a personalized and effective build would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Lenira; Jul 06 2013 at 02:13 PM.

Well,alot of elite mobs in Angmar that hit hard and since you dont have legendaries yet. I would suggest getting a little more vitality and learning how to kite mobs to your advantage. I used strenghtstance alot when I was leveling for kiting purposes.when you get your legendary items,things should go alot easier for you .

Quote Originally Posted by Patriotp3a View Post
    Well,alot of elite mobs in Angmar that hit hard and since you dont have legendaries yet. I would suggest getting a little more vitality and learning how to kite mobs to your advantage. I used strenghtstance alot when I was leveling for kiting purposes.when you get your legendary items,things should go alot easier for you .
    On my last hunter I used precision with barbed arrow and skipped str stance and quick shot altogether after the start levels.

@OP: I do realize you absolutely will not run Walls of Moria prematurely, a choice I respect. If it doesn't clash with your plan of action, at 50 do that class quest for a very nice bow, it truly does make that much of a change. Barter for the stuff (at skirmish npc curiosities I think) or quest, buy, farm - you can look up in advance what items are needed and run around grabbing them since you're already in Angmar.

Use regular regen food such as the Bree rep food, out of combat only but the buff lasts 20-30 minutes I think. With buffs it's a breeze, without buffs it's a pain. Oils, scrolls, foods, bow chants, focus pots and traps. I rarely use the lot, just whatever I can make myself (normally oil, foods) but it helps a lot and keeps me from worrying too much. Faced with a pull of two, always set a trap... What else...

Try add stuff or traits that add hard points to morale rather than to vita (if given a choice).

Too long? Use buffs at all times - it speeds things up and makes it rather more enjoyable.

The 85 in my sig was very quick to lvl up despite being new to that server - but then I had good storage and owned all the game content and knew somewhat about the game.

So, basically, get to level 50 for the class quest and its reward, increase morale, and use lots of buffs. Got it, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenira View Post
    So, basically, get to level 50 for the class quest and its reward, increase morale, and use lots of buffs. Got it, thank you.
    Sadly I have no help available on Imladris but I find on the few servers I tried, many of the oldies are perfectly happy to help with some crafting and guidance - we all have more than we need and can use and it's always neat to grab someone random and hand them some help Have a great game

As for "crafting options for 48lv" department, net increase for 6x purple piece of medium armor, 2x earring and 2x bracelet (over what you're using according to that unreliable character page) =
    +112 Agility
    +65 Fate
    +97 Vit
    +540 Morale (or 831 with Vit)

- didn't see crafted necklace/rings as too hot in comparison with what you have
    - increased Morale from above could allow to replace mainhand with something else
    - cloaks alternatives are pretty forgettable
    - no idea about your leveling speed - if you are going fast, could consider lv50 pieces instead (but these are a different story in terms of effort required)
    - Imlad Balchorth is... special, should feel less crazy with some () of GF quests anyway

To be honest, you've put yourself in a self-imposed handicap by not getting a legendary bow... and Angmar is HARD.

iirc i did Angmar before legendary, as a woodworker i had the best bow/hammers i could make. the only decent jewellry i had were teal beryl? would that make sense?

i spent most of my angmar time trapping, bards arrow(?), kiting in precision i think. however back then our armour/jewellry had multiple stats on it. i soloed almost exclusively. it wasnt fast. my only advantage was that i played a ranger in eq for quite some time so shoot/kite i was used to, as well as root/snare.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanweee View Post
    iirc i did Angmar before legendary, as a woodworker i had the best bow/hammers i could make. the only decent jewellry i had were teal beryl? would that make sense?

i spent most of my angmar time trapping, bards arrow(?), kiting in precision i think. however back then our armour/jewellry had multiple stats on it. i soloed almost exclusively. it wasnt fast. my only advantage was that i played a ranger in eq for quite some time so shoot/kite i was used to, as well as root/snare.
    Apart from getting all the buffs you can and the best gear you can maybe this is good advice. Look to traiting Trapper and using a lot more CC? I had to do that in Limlight Gorge when soloing the trolls, spiders and trees.

the trait Determination is a must.
    I would take issue with this. In solo play you don't always increase your individuality, but sometimes you look for weaknesses and correct them. (In a group you don't have to do this because you have a healer, someone to keep the mobs off you and/or someone for cc and you can mainly just dps.)

Your best bet, of course, is keeping multiple mobs from hitting you at the same time, but since you can't always do that,
    perhaps more resistance would work better for you than a tad more agility, in this particular region of the world.
    Get the best morale potions/food you can find as well.

Maybe (gasp) find another rp person to run with. ;p

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Traitetermination

Things get easier as you level because you get better skills/gear/LIs/traits as well experience with the class. Though learning things like kiting effectively will not only help you with leveling but also in the end game. Hunters can kill targets really fast but can also die really fast. As for precisionf vs. strenght, its up to you. Do you need the slows more than the extra damage? Also timing your ccs and allowing for cooldowns help alot. Waiting on your legendaries is certainly holding you back and you will see a dramatic diff once you get them. Ask around public chats like glff for help with jewelries and armor or help in general, usually people are willing to lend a hand. Goodluck pewpewing

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    Sadly I have no help available on Imladris but I find on the few servers I tried, many of the oldies are perfectly happy to help with some crafting and guidance - we all have more than we need and can use and it's always neat to grab someone random and hand them some help Have a great game
    i play also on imladris, always willing to help out

Quote Originally Posted by Branthil View Post
    Okay, this is all good. But what exactly IS dps? And how does it really work?
    In practical terms it doesn't really matter. All you need to know is that more physical mastery and crit rating leads to more damage. You just have to look at these and look at other things like finesse and mitigations and find what balance of stats from gear, virtues etc work for you best in what situations.

Speaking for myself with my limitations if I'm going into group content like a raid (especially with a pickup group) and I know I'll have to watch my dps I would trade Agility and hence damage for survivability in the form of higher morale and tactical/physical mitigations and in combat power regeneration if there will be long fights. I always carry extra gear so I can switch around.

This is probably something only you can figure out for yourself as people's play-styles ages, abilities and build options vary so much.

If you're dying too much look to upping the survivability aspects. If you have power issues look to increase icpr. etc.

Also look to your choice of class skills and pick those for situations. For instance you can at higher levels chain crit Rain of Arrows so that you get to spam it multiple times. This is fantastic in some situations - like Ford of Bruinen solo/duo. But it would be fatal in a raid so you swap out those class skills for others.

IMHO no one can tell you what the best build or the best rotation of shots is for you. You can get pointers but in the end it's down to what works best for you.

Being an obsessive type what I've done over the years is practice soloing group content, particularly skirmishes and elites and not give up too easily. I haven't done it recently but I used to be able to solo most skirmishes at T3 on small FS settings. That required me to really look at different builds and tactics but in the end it's given me skills that can't be written down. It's just muscle-memory and experience.

I'm in no way pretending to be a great Hunter, there are tons on this forum way better than me i'm sure. I'm just better than I would be otherwise.

We all like to moan about the state of the Hunter, with pretty good reason sometimes, but the class is still fun to play and still capable of raising an eyebrow or two when played well.