We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Crafting is simply TOO slow!

So here's the situation. I start crafting 143 ingots of Khazad iron, and I realize this is going to take a while. But I had no idea how long it would actually take.

To give you an idea how long it takes, here's what I accomplished in the meantime:

Started the hot water running in the kitchen.
    Went to the bathroom.
    Washed a large load of dishes including baking dishes that needed scrubbing.
    Set the dishes to dry in the drainer.
    Cleaned up the splash on the kitchen counters.
    Dried my hands.
    Picked out a snack.
    Returned to my computer.

I was on 138 of 143!

I didn't watch the clock, but that was probably something close to 15 minutes. And for simply smelting, that seems entirely too long. After all, when you truly DO smelt metals you tend to throw everything into a cauldron and just pour out the ingots in one go.

If anything, it should be the item crafting that takes a while since its more involved work, but often item crafting takes LESS time than smelting. Tell me how that makes any sense?

Yes, I realize you can buy speed crafting scrolls and all that nonsense. But I'd expect those to turn a 3 minute job into a 30 second job...... not a 15 minute job into a 12 minute job.
    Last edited by Isdring; Jul 07 2013 at 09:19 PM.

I agree. The higher the tier, the slower it gets. I'm happy about the bulk recipes that are available at the skirmish-crafting-vendor.
    Caputo - Burglar | Drugar - Champ | Wislingard - Warden | Xenilinex - Hunter | Tonenas - RK | Rhichard - CAP

Get better crafting tools, things will go faster.

That being said, isn't "unattended" playing against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by kmcferrin View Post
    Pretty sure it's not against the rules to go do other things while an automated process that is in the game's design is going on.
    Rules against unattended playing are about setting up third party macros and such.

That said, I kind of welcome the chance to get something else done while processing resources. It gives me a happy sense of multi-tasking. I only wish you could turn off the crits when doing bulk items just for leveling so you didn't have to sit there and click through the offer to name that item you're going to vendor.
    Last edited by Lynore; Jul 05 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Get better crafting tools, things will go faster.
    This. And there are bulk recipes, and (in the store) XP and speed scrolls.

One should not finish all crafting tiers at one day.

btw, it's not that slow. I did T7 an T8 of my woodworker in less then one hour.

Pressing the make all button and then waiting is not "unattended" playing.
    Wer Hilfe will, muss Informationen liefern.
    >> Lotro World transfer status <<

Quote Originally Posted by Amrundir View Post
    Pressing the make all button and then waiting is not "unattended" playing.
    Not if you're sitting there, it isn't. But pressing the "make all" button and walking away, going to the toilet, making a snack, cleaning up the kitchen, and then coming back certainly is "unattended". You don't need a dictionary to figure that out.

Other games have had the standard that macroing was OK, so long as you didn't do it unattended. Basically, if a GM sent you a tell you needed to respond or they would flag you as unattended macroing. I'm not sure if the rules here are the same.

Unattended, yes. Playing, not really. If you're processing ingots or something, your character is just doing the same thing over and over again, and (as part of the game's design) it doesn't require any input from you. IMO it doesn't really count as playing. I've seen many, many people go afk crafting, I do it also, and I've never heard that's it's been an issue whatsoever.

That said, I'd look into some of the bulk crafting recipes, they may save you time.

Not if you're sitting there, it isn't. But pressing the "make all" button and walking away, going to the toilet, making a snack, cleaning up the kitchen, and then coming back certainly is "unattended". You don't need a dictionary to figure that out.
    Also in the dictionary you'll find "nitpick" which is what you're doing in the above posting.

You make it sound as though I've abandoned the game just because I don't want to sit there for 15 minutes staring at the screen doing nothing. That's just stupid.

The idea behind an unattended rule is so you're not setting up a script, going out to dinner and a movie, and coming home 3 hours later to find a full day's worth of crafting done.

If this counted as "unattended playing", Turbine wouldn't have built a "craft all" loop into the UI.

In both scenarios, whether I'm sitting there or not, there is no possible input from the player. There's nothing to react to, no expected actions, no third-party software, and no in-game advantage gained.

If I stay at my computer, I spend 15 minutes not interacting with the UI.

If I do a load of dishes, I spend 15 minutes not interacting with the UI.

In both cases, the net outcome for my character is precisely the same....150 ingots made.

No dictionary required there, either...just a little common sense.
    The forums are not an accurate representation of the thoughts and feelings of the whole player base. Those who like a particular feature are in the game enjoying that feature. Those who don't like it log out to mention it on the forums. It is a relevant but biased source of feedback, and any claims of community desire should take this fact into account.