We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

does anybody talk?

Just started playing and am enjoying the game but my biggest gripe right now is there is no chat on any server, ever. I know I have heard the 'most players are in kin or private channels' or 'there are hidden channels' stuff already. I even tried saying in global 'looking for a kin' only to get zero replies. I just want to say that as a new player I am frustrated and so discouraged I might just cancel before my first month is up because I feel like I'm playing a solo game or with a bunch of players that just want to keep to themselves.
    This isn't just one server either, I had to server hop through half a dozen dead servers to find a decent one where players were running around. Just they don't talk to you. This is by far the most insular mmo community I have ever seen.

You only really see chatter in the Global Looking For Fellowship or GLFF channel. This is a user created channel and is NOT moderated by Turbine, so the subject matter can be a bit lacking at times.

To join type /joinchannel glff

To talk type /1 hello

Best advice is to join a kinship. The social aspect you are looking for can be found in a kinship more readily than in just the open game. I have found it to be very lonely when I wasn't in a kinship.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Brandywine is the biggest server there is. Most players are off doing end game, but there are many other lower levels throughout the server. I would t suggest joining brandy GLFF tho.
    2nd choice would be to look for a Kin or leveling group. Search randy forums for the right one and u will be seeig chat in no time.
    If your interested in comin to brandy KoDA is recruiting, pretty casual and chatty. Many love to group and we encourage it but if u like soloing that is also a great part as well in the Kin.

join a large kinship... there are kins so large they never chat in public they're constantly chattering at each other

... or join /glff on Landroval server, they just won't shush up there and it has nothing to do with finding a group!
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

I can honestly say that I've never heard of any global looking for a kinship channel -- so in light of that, I might suggest that you aren't looking in the right places. This game is way not dead and there is tons of chatter. As the above posters have mentioned, GLFF is the big chatty channel. But also as one said, it is not monitored by staff and talk there can get very crude (probably a "quality" that is universal for all LOTRO servers).
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

Also each server may have a different name for GLFF and/or use other channels for its purpose (e.g. Vilya has both GLFF and unite).

Just like real life if you want to join a group you have to put energy into the system. You have to research what groups exist. Contact the group for admission. In many cases you will have to fill out an application and go thru an approval process. In every game a lot of the groups are picky about who they take. They do not actively recruit unknown players.

If you do not care which kinship you are in, there are always some kins that will take anyone. You have to be in an area where they are recruiting and a recruiter is online. Bree is one example. Many of them only want level capped character. They only recruit in the current social hub in level capped character playground.

It can be hard as a new player with one very low level character to find a kinship or people that are willing to interact with you. Like many modern online games Lotro provides a viable solo gaming experience. You will find a lot of people that are simply not inerested in group play.

You have joined the game as a new arrival with knowing anyone. It is going to be hard finding people to group with. The firat group content (instances) starts at level 20. Unless you got a buddy to do landscape solo content it is going to be you by yourself.

Even if you join a kin, you may still be doing content by yourself. Nobody has a character at your level. Nobody has the same quests as you do... At least you will be able to talk to people in chat. Or perhaps via kin Vent or some other voice system.

What you are seeing is people that already have a group. Husband and wife. Or they are soloers. Or they are busy playing the game doing whatever it is they are doing. Your wants do not like up with anyone else.

This situation is a very real life issue. Each of us has their own goals, desires and wants. Unless you are going to help me with what I am doing, I am not going be interested in dealing with you. You go to someplace where people are. Like a 4th of July fireworks spectale. It is going to take a lot of effort to find a person that is there that is willing to hang with you. Finding someone only happens if you are willing to pester people one on one. Put with the rejection aspect.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I suggest using the normal channels of Advice and Regional for questions and comments. I also suggest turning on kinship so you can see the peoples names and what kinship they belong to. Ask them about their kinship. Ask everyone with a different kinship about their kin. Watch and wait and when you see a good kinship with people who are respectful to others - that's the one you want to try out. Approach a kin member and ask how to join.

I think if you ask lots of questions and are observant you will find what you want and have a great time in game making friends and finding people to do things with you. You will find more chatter in busy hubs such as Bree.

Good luck!
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

In addition to the above poster's comments, be sure to try that in a highly populated area (Bree is best for that). LOTRO has a diverse field of choices to level in because areas overlap. North Downs and Lone Lands are at roughly the same level range. The Misties, Forochel and Angmar are also close. Mirkwood and Enedwaith are nearly identical in level range. Because of that and depending on whether you are on a high population or low population server, some areas may be emptier than others. But no matter what server you are on, Bree is one of the most populated locations in the game, especially now that it offers more in crafting capabilities than it did previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Just like real life if you want to join a group you have to put energy into the system. You have to research what groups exist. Contact the group for admission. In many cases you will have to fill out an application and go thru an approval process. In every game a lot of the groups are picky about who they take. They do not actively recruit unknown players.

If you do not care which kinship you are in, there are always some kins that will take anyone. You have to be in an area where they are recruiting and a recruiter is online. Bree is one example. Many of them only want level capped character. They only recruit in the current social hub in level capped character playground.

It can be hard as a new player with one very low level character to find a kinship or people that are willing to interact with you. Like many modern online games Lotro provides a viable solo gaming experience. You will find a lot of people that are simply not inerested in group play.

You have joined the game as a new arrival with knowing anyone. It is going to be hard finding people to group with. The firat group content (instances) starts at level 20. Unless you got a buddy to do landscape solo content it is going to be you by yourself.

Even if you join a kin, you may still be doing content by yourself. Nobody has a character at your level. Nobody has the same quests as you do... At least you will be able to talk to people in chat. Or perhaps via kin Vent or some other voice system.

What you are seeing is people that already have a group. Husband and wife. Or they are soloers. Or they are busy playing the game doing whatever it is they are doing. Your wants do not like up with anyone else.

This situation is a very real life issue. Each of us has their own goals, desires and wants. Unless you are going to help me with what I am doing, I am not going be interested in dealing with you. You go to someplace where people are. Like a 4th of July fireworks spectale. It is going to take a lot of effort to find a person that is there that is willing to hang with you. Finding someone only happens if you are willing to pester people one on one. Put with the rejection aspect.
    Thanks for the replies. Joining glff has helped. Every server forum should have a sticky with global chat channels for new players. My feedback is simply to point out this is what new player experience is like for someone getting into Lotro for the first time right now. First impressions make or break the game for people and if people are coming back and get the impression that the server is dead, even if it is not, they will go away with that impression and never come back.

I am troubled though by the above comments.
    "Put up with the rejection aspect," "Unless you are going to help me with what I am doing, I am not going to be interested in dealing with you" ??
    Well sorry for stepping on your mighty lawn then. That's the kind of response that I am most discouraged by because it is a response I have only received en masse in Lotro, never in other games and I have played pretty much every online game ever made. And something else to think about is, I took the time to register for the forums, comment, ask questions, basically "put energy into the system" you want new players to do, but you can bet most people won't bother when they can go to some other game, login, and immediately be a part of a community without jumping through hoops or having to prove themselves to everyone.

looks up from grind "I'm sorry did someone say something?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrvellan View Post

"Put up with the rejection aspect," "Unless you are going to help me with what I am doing, I am not going to be interested in dealing with you" ??
    Well sorry for stepping on your mighty lawn then. That's the kind of response that I am most discouraged by because it is a response I have only received en masse in Lotro, never in other games and I have played pretty much every online game ever made. And something else to think about is, I took the time to register for the forums, comment, ask questions, basically "put energy into the system" you want new players to do, but you can bet most people won't bother when they can go to some other game, login, and immediately be a part of a community without jumping through hoops or having to prove themselves to everyone.
    Who are you trying to kid?

LOTRO has one of the most mature, helpful communities out there. Having said that, you`ll probably struggle to fit in, given your attitude towards the very people who tried to help you.

Is there any particular server you're interested in? For the european servers, global chat is normally /joinchannel globallff (remember, these all started out as user created channels). US server Brandywine mentioned above is large-ish with a steady 150-300 people in global, while EU RP server Laurelin has 200-450 (not too chatty but rather nice). EU non-RP server Snowbourn is chatty global despite rarely having more than 100-250 people.

The others I haven't really tried a lot.

It helps assuming everyone is trying to have a good time =) The larger kinships will have their own chat and gameplay, sometimes never even visiting global chat.

It's an old game. I have people on friend's list who have been off for years and I have people who have been on daily for years too. Kinships and other social groupings change but the friends remain. As with most maturing MMO populations, it can be hard to squeeze in but I find whenever I had a year or 6 months off, I get a welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
    Who are you trying to kid?

LOTRO has one of the most mature, helpful communities out there. Having said that, you`ll probably struggle to fit in, given your attitude towards the very people who tried to help you.
    Yes LOTRO does, unfortunately the Forum has a large community of unhelpful, immature bratts and trolls, so I give the same advice that I have been given many times by a large number of mature respectful players;

"Ask for help and advice ingame and avoid the forums like the plague!"

Basically, pick the good stuff on here and ignore the mob of undesirables.

You totally misunderstood Yula. Yula is one of the nicest, most helpful members around. What you just quoted about the rejection aspect and the unless-you-help-me-I'm-not-helping-you thing was an EXAMPLE. Some trolls (ie: jerks) ARE like that. Yula is giving you a warning that when you try to find a kinship or people to quest with, some may be complete jerks and treat you like that. So Yula is giving you that warning so that you aren't discouraged. If you get treated like dirt, /ignore the person and move on to another. Just keep trying and you'll find what you are looking for. So there is not "mighty lawn" thing going on in regards to Yula.

And again, as others have previously warned: GLFF may be the most active chat channel, but it also gets to be the most crude and full of jerks. >.<

I would say lotro community isnt worse than any other games community. Once you find the right guild it's only gonna get better. I would actually say that in Lotro I found good guilds compared to WoW where you could hardly call them guilds.

I can only speak to Landroval, but GLFF in particular is usually quite active at all times. Regional chats will tend to be active during peak hours, and while they quiet down during off-hours you can definitely find social interaction if you initiate it.

/ooc for creeps in the Ettens is always busy. Roll a creep and PvP!

...I have played pretty much every online game ever made...
    Damn and I thought I was an old school gamer. You know, if you've played every game ever made, what's the reason for your original whine post? Because you should already know all the answers, right?

I have to concur. I've been all over every zone, and I never hear anyone say anything. I'll sometimes try to get some kind of discussion going, but no one wants to say anything. How far this community has fallen. Once, there was a time when it was the best, most vocal, most knowledgable, most mature, helpful community of any game. Now... it's hard to know.

With the dumbing down of the game, people don't have any need to actually talk to anyone. More, with all the instances and skirmishes, there's no one AROUND to talk TO.

Consider... When in Dol Dirnen, you are faced with an ARMY of orcs and trolls. There are many elites and a lone player is almost guaranteed to die eventually. Thus, spontaneous grouping happened often. Then, along came skirmishes and instances. Now, these things tailor themselves to how many of you there are, even if there's only ONE of you. In addition, because you're just queueing in an interface (instead of running around in the world), you're not going to run into anyone else doing the same thing you are. You're relegated to talking in chat, which often gets ignored at the best of times.

I said it then, I'll say it again. The instancing trend is part of what is destroying the MMO genre. The free model doesn't help, allowing in all sorts of people who don't really care about the GAME, only the next reward. It's diminished the game, and will continue to do so.

To be honest, I don't really chat in many channels, the one I'll most chat in if i'm going to is kin or glff mainly because if you are riding around alot changing zones the zone specific channels restrict you to staying in that one zone to finish your conversation or makes you change to tells also because usually I'm busy grinding mobs/quest instance/warbands so I don't really have the chance to stop and type while things are beating on me.
    It's not because I don't want to chat to the server

Quote Originally Posted by chazcon3 View Post
    Damn and I thought I was an old school gamer. You know, if you've played every game ever made, what's the reason for your original whine post? Because you should already know all the answers, right?
    ''Joined Jun 2013''

Not hard to make such statements. I have played RIFT, for 3 hours, does that count?

Admitted I am on Brandywine, but just go to Bree and folks are openly chatting on all channels all of the time!
    Sometimes I have to drop over to my characters on Vilya for a bit of quiet LOL!

1. Welcome!

2. Ignore the forum trolls.

3. Come to Landroval. You'll see people at most hours on glff, advice, regional, and other channels. There's a good representation of players from many timezones worldwide.

4. One of the more useful forums here is the server forum section, where you'll find kin advertisements and can advertise yourself for what you might want in a kinship. Be picky! Ask lots of questions before you join--the kinship should want a good fit as much as you do, so they should understand. Make sure they have characters in the lower levels that like to help each other if that's what you want, or that they have active social chat, or whatever you're interested in. Don't take the first offer you see--there is a huge variety of kin styles.

5. If you come to Landroval, you'll see advertisements in Regional chat for various events most every day of the week (usually concerts and casual RP/social gatherings). I say RP, but playing in character is usually not required; they are just gatherings of folks who want to hear some player music and stories, and do a bit of chatting with each other.

6. If you hang out in Bree, especially at the Prancing Pony (inside or out) or the Bree stage area, you're likely to run across impromptu concerts or other types of gatherings.

7. Keep in mind that due to the age of the game, certain areas will be quieter than others, and a good many folks who have been playing for many years have become a bit set in our ways and may take a bit of coaxing out of our shells. We already have established friendships and show up to do what we need to get done and then move on. But that does NOT mean that you can't find enthusiastic, friendly, helpful, sociable people here. Sometimes and in some areas it just feels a bit harder to do. Joining a kin would be a huge help.

8. I'll talk to you! I'm usually playing Berrieblossom these days. I'm one of those old grumpy folks I mentioned--I play with my RL sweetie and another friend and we don't expand our horizons often enough anymore, but despite the fact that I'm often disgruntled with the game, I do like to help folks when I can.

Good luck and happy hunting!