We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Efficiently Maxing a Farmer and Cook

In answer to my earlier post, here is an efficient way to level (or more precisely "tier") a cook/farmer combination. What's efficient for you may be different. For me, money was no issue (Total cost was under 900s for the farmer, 6g500s for the cook). I tried to minimze time as reflected in the total number of recipe invocations (3,000 (including harvests) for the farmer, 1,700 for the cook). Total time around 13 hours.

Note that tiering a farmer is much slower than a cook. When you plant, harvest, and process, you get no Craft XP for the harvesting. When I tried planting more than 8 fields at a time, some would disappear before I could harvest them, and harvesting requires an interaction for each field. Once you have the ingredients, a cook can run off hundreds of items, stopping only when the tools need repairs. Farmers get fewer Craft XP per item, and the same Craft XP for all things at the same tier. After you make the things needed to support the cook tiering, you can make a pile of whatever you like to tier the farmer.

Farmer production varies a lot. Although there is an average harvest per field at each tier, it may produce much more or only one. What I show below is the number of items you need to produce for the cook, not the number you plant. Fortunately, the mats are cheap and can be purchased, so if you need more you can plant more.

For cooks, recipes T6 and above are mostly dropped. You will need to find a T7 [item]Bowl of Spring Water Recipe[/item] and a T8 [item]Eastemnet Crumbs Recipe[/item]. They are generally available in the AH (except at the very moment you need them, plan ahead!). The other recipes are basic or purchased from NPC cooks/farmers.

During the Expert T3 tier for both, when you reach Expert Proficiency, you must stop and do some quests to reach the Artisan T4 tier. You can get the quests from the farmer/cook NPCs. They will send you to Michel Delving. Do the farmer first, because you will need Artisan strawberries to complete the cook's quest. After the quests, you can continue with the Expert tier.

Here's the plan:

Apprentice Farmer
    75 [item]Fresh Carrot[/item]
    224 [item]Mushroom[/item] (Used by Master Cook)

Apprentice Cook
    75 [item]Cooked Carrot[/item]

Journeyman Farmer
    210 [item]Bunch of Oats[/item]
    95 [item]Tater[/item] (Used by Artisan Cook)

Journeyman Cook
    105 [item]Bowl of Oatmeal[/item]

Expert Farmer
    174 [item]Green Onion[/item] (79 for Expert Cook, 95 for Artisan Cook)
    Miscellaneous things during the quests
    2 [item]Bunch of Strawberries[/item] for cook after reaching Artisan.

Expert Cook
    79 [item]Bowl of Hearty Stock[/item]
    78 [item]Beef Stew[/item] (you'll make one more in cook's quest)

Artisan Farmer
    Nothing specific needed from this tier, grow anything

Artisan Cook
    95 [item]Bowl of Chicken Stock[/item]
    95 [item]Stew of Kings[/item]

Master Farmer
    282 [item]Golden Shire Tater[/item] (112 for Master Cook, 170 for Westfold Cook)

Master Cook
    112 [item]Bowl of Beef Stock[/item]
    112 [item]Cream of Mushroom Soup[/item]

Supreme Farmer
    300 [item]Bundle of Mint Leaves[/item]

Supreme Cook
    300 [item]Bowl of Water[/item]

Westfold Farmer
    340 [item]Bunch of Leeks[/item]

Westfold Cook
    170 [item]Bowl of Leek Stock[/item]
    170 [item]Bowl of Spring Water[/item]

Eastemnet Farmer
    285 [item]Bunch of Rye Berries[/item]

Eastemnet Cook
    285 [item]Bag of Eastemnet Crumbs[/item]

Since the farmer doesn't constrain things, this is also the most efficient way to tier a cook alone, assuming you can get access to the needed mats. The cook alone is under 5 hours. If the farmer needs only proficiency, not mastery, it will save over 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaleo View Post
    In answer to my earlier post, here is an efficient way to level (or more precisely "tier") a cook/farmer combination. What's efficient for you may be different. For me, money was no issue (Total cost was under 900s for the farmer, 6g500s for the cook). I tried to minimze time as reflected in the total number of recipe invocations (3,000 (including harvests) for the farmer, 1,700 for the cook). Total time around 13 hours.
    First: does that include housing/reputation discounts? At those prices a standard house would practically pay for itself (let alone be recommended anyway for porting and chests).

If you are willing to pay slightly more to level the farmer you can do simply level AFK. Just grow 200 or so crops at a time (whatever you can grow with crit crafted farming tools) and ignore the harvests. You will be limited by the amount of crops you can grow before you wear out your farming tools, so idealy you will be using crit crafted bronze tools to level and process (cheap repairs) and your best tools for harvesting (faster harvesting).

I'd also certainly recommend harvesting only with journeyman skill and insta-crit items (you get your materials faster and the special drops will pay for the entire [at least farmer, possibly even the cook] leveling process. Luckily, cooks don't need nearly the amount farmers can harvest (guessing, I'm leveling a cook now and long since leveled my farmer) so you can just farm what the cook needs (and get it faster with crits).

Again, the production (both cooking and bundling harvests) process allows you to go AFK. This might be meaningless unless you have lots of inventory space.