We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziane View Post
    Glad to hear lots of others don't like to fight with a warsteed. They make me seriously sick to my stomach, so I parked my 2 level 77's.

I don't ride my war horse anywhere! lol
    Wow, sounds like this is a pretty common problem. Apologies for the cross-post, but I just noted on a different thread how I just acquired my first warsteed. After going through the requisite quests and training, I eagerly went out on my first mounted venture... only to find my real-world head reeling from the queasy feeling I got from the unexpected and quirky changes in speed. Made me nauseous. If that glitch in the game mechanics doesn't change, I can't see myself using the war steed much, either. Quite the shame.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Our Warsteeds have four speeds, walk, trot, canter, and gallop. I usually walk or trot when in town, and canter when travelling with a friend who doesn't have a Warsteed.
    Silverlode refugee

only reason i will use mine outside of rohan is because it's faster than usng a stable to a place that i cant swift travel too, or if im deeding to uncover locations.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

What better way to promote Riders of Rohan than allowing the war steeds to be ridden outside of Rohan? You know how many times I get tells in Bree asking what my horse is?

You have trouble controlling your warsteed in town? Learn to control it.

You never ride your regular mounts anymore? And? I like the fact that I can customize my warsteed to be unlike anyone elses. One of my biggest disappointments in the game was going to all the trouble of getting the mathom horse (and several others) only to see a bunch of people riding the exact same horse. I like that my warsteed is uniquely mine. And if I get tired of the way it looks... Hey... I've got cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    What were they thinking allowing war steeds everywhere?
    This is what I say about the goat mounts. They should never have been allowed to be used anywhere outside Moria. For that matter, they should have never been created at all. The proper mount for the mines would have been mules.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I use my regular mounts in any town including the ones in Rohan because they are a lot easier to steer.
    Likewise. I also sometimes use them in the wilderness when the mob density is too great to safely ride a war-steed without aggroing mobs, e.g., the area in Wildemore near Thrymm Red-beard's camp.

With the addition of the increased mount speed skills from the LOTRO Store, there is even less reason to ride your war-steed when not actually engaging in mounted combat, that is if you want to spend the inflated prices. That being said, given that the war-steed is in part a vanity item. People like to loiter about on top their ever-so-cool war-steeds.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

Considering that I hate mounted combat with the burning passion of a thousand burning suns, I don't use my combat horse in towns or anywhere else. I'm considering skipping warbands altogether. The steering is atrocious and even the combat gives me the head spins with all that looping around or starting + stopping...not to mention the fact that lag spikes cause sticks and spurts that can send one off a cliff's edge in a jiffy, without any way to steer or stop because things are locked up.

Hate the things and hope the combat isn't mandatory past the Rohan area, to be honest. It's lamesauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrael View Post
    Considering that I hate mounted combat with the burning passion of a thousand burning suns, I don't use my combat horse in towns or anywhere else. I'm considering skipping warbands altogether. The steering is atrocious and even the combat gives me the head spins with all that looping around or starting + stopping...not to mention the fact that lag spikes cause sticks and spurts that can send one off a cliff's edge in a jiffy, without any way to steer or stop because things are locked up.

Hate the things and hope the combat isn't mandatory past the Rohan area, to be honest. It's lamesauce.
    Sad to hear One thing that helped me is turning on the switch auto-stop. Since then i love it. Way better control and i by now solo every warband besides 3 (all in Wilder) on every class i have at 85. If you have not tried it please do!

I think it's a bit Sad; all warbands are intended for mounted combat. Wouldn't it be fun if MC was disabled in some areas with warbands meant to take down on foot? Like big old elites/LG. there are even lore-reasons to have fights where we are unmounted and get attacked by mounted foes.

Only thing i whish is making them hard, like in really hard. It can't be WAI if players like me (pretty casual) can take down ride-size warbands solo.

Regards and good luck with MC!
    /T
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |

The only stupid thing here, is that they disabled mounted combat everywhere outside rohan.

Seriously, this is an absolute nonsense. Is there some kind of magic in rohan that allow you to fight on your horse? And then you forget everything when you go back to the old areas? Do we catch Alzheimer once we leave Rohan?

I've learned mounted combat, and earned the right to use it anywhere i want.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by Guanfei View Post
    The only stupid thing here, is that they disabled mounted combat everywhere outside rohan.

Seriously, this is an absolute nonsense. Is there some kind of magic in rohan that allow you to fight on your horse? And then you forget everything when you go back to the old areas? Do we catch Alzheimer once we leave Rohan?

I've learned mounted combat, and earned the right to use it anywhere i want.
    Balance. Some things need to be done for the good of the game.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    Balance. Some things need to be done for the good of the game.
    Then let's ban all the high lvl player from the old areas. I don't see why i couldn't use it just because someone lower than me can't. That's how it works, you train your character, and as he becomes stronger, he gets new skills he can use in battle.
    And mounted combat is one of those skills. As long as i don't use it for pvp, what's wrong with it?

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by Guanfei View Post
    Then let's ban all the high lvl player from the old areas. I don't see why i couldn't use it just because someone lower than me can't. That's how it works, you train your character, and as he becomes stronger, he gets new skills he can use in battle.
    And mounted combat is one of those skills. As long as i don't use it for pvp, what's wrong with it?
    It's bad enough when high levels farm low level areas as is. Allowing a high level to farm an even larger area more efficiently will just make the problem worse.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Talking More of a preference than a problem, I think.

Also (though a lesser problem) traveling with anyone without a war steed in lower zones means you have to wait up all the time--there's now a huge disparity in speeds if you happen to be helping a kin mate or just traveling with a lower level player.
    They should have simply restricted war steeds to Rohan. Or, failing that, reduced their speed in the non-Rohan areas to make them no better than the non-war steed mounts there.
    I like the speed of the war outside Rohan, especially when I am in a hurry on a timed quest or just to explore in an area that is swamped in enemies that I do not feel like stopping to fight at that time. Sometimes, I also ride my regular store bought hunter's steed also.
    The issue of being with other players that are lower levels and cannot keep up with the war steed, you can press the "insert" button on your keyboard, and it will wnalk at the same pace that their horse runs.

Yeah, it's been a while now, War Steeds have not replaced the other Horse types at all. I love my War Steeds, however I still use the other horses quite a bit in towns and in certain quests where I want the quick stop. I still find the old horse type better for prospecting and foresting etc.

I actually cycle through my other horse types more than ever, now I have my War Steed, as I like to use the variety I have collected over the years. I only have a couple of War Horse outfits I like, whilst I have probably over 30? horsepants to select from.

They are also great advertising for the newer players who have not reached Rohan level yet.

So, absolutely disagree. I am very grateful we are able to use War Steeds throughout the landscapes. Wish I could still use the speed boost in the other landscapes though..

I love all my collected and/or bought mounts and enjoy riding them. Sure, the war-steed is great for having to get somewhere fast on a long stretch of road, but I much prefer riding round on my "fancy' mounts because I like how they look - it is not all about speed or getting places fast all the time. That's a horrible way to "enjoy" a game, to my way of thinking - having to do it all as quickly as possible. No need to ban or nerf something you personally don't like though - if you don't think it should be used in some areas, don't use it. Enjoy your other mounts there.
    As for your worries about being too fast for people you may be helping or traveling with OP? Why not just switch to a lower speed mount? I don't see the problem here - if you are helping someone or enjoying their companionship who cares if you are traveling a bit slower. Just my 2 copper anyhow. Slow down and enjoy the scenery.
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

A lot of people posted "no, I still use my old horses" and that's great, but the original post had a fatal flaw in it. What if war-steeds were faster than old horses and had no disadvantages for anyone, so everyone did, indeed, start using them once they earned one? Everyone who has been to Moria keeps using their new weapons when they go back to Bree. Everyone who gets a nice new set of Eastemnet jewelry keeps wearing it even when they're in the Misty Mountains. That computer you're using to read this post is faster than the old one you used to use, but never use anymore and probably got rid of. Why would it be so bad for some reward you earn in a later zone, at a higher level, to be better than the ones that came before it, anyway? Why is it any different for war-steeds than anything else?

Now, I'll agree that it's silly that the pretty decorations we earned with our old horses don't translate over. But then, the pretty dyes we put on our pretty cloaks at level 50 didn't carry over when the level cap increased and we were able to get new gear. Turbine wanted to sell us new dyes and new cosmetics because they gotta pay their bills somehow. So if they used war-steeds as an opportunity to try to get us to spend money again to make them pretty... or to get us to participate in festivals to make them pretty... well, that's just par for the course. And, again, no different for war-steeds than it was for anything else.

(Incidentally, they also noted at one point that there are technical reasons that the animations in the graphics engine for war-steeds don't match with those for old-style horses, they're implemented in different ways to optimize for different stuff, so they can't simply copy-and-paste the old steed art into war-steeds, they have to redevelop them one by one. But true as that may be, we know they also want to sell us the fruits of that labor, and why shouldn't they? They've gotta pay the bills.)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    A lot of people posted "no, I still use my old horses" and that's great, but the original post had a fatal flaw in it. What if war-steeds were faster than old horses and had no disadvantages for anyone, so everyone did, indeed, start using them once they earned one?
    Snipped your post a bit as I am really only replying to this part - the disadvantage of a war-steed over the old horses is that is does not look like all the mounts you earned, can't be made to look like them and does not carry the same sentimental feeling - or are you saying what if we could make the war steed look exactly like any mount we have previously earned or bought? I'm confused here...
    Even if I could make my silly Loca (that's her name) look like any of my other mounts, I still would not use her all the time, she's much too fast and doesn't handle all that well.
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!

I love my warsteed, and I love riding it at full pelt through Bree, its a challenge of my skill not to run into buildings, this gives me more enjoyment than the normal steeds whose slow and unrealistic movement I consign to the trashbin of evolution, I was particularly happy to overtake the Michael Delving to Hobbiton Taxi the other day, perhaps players should be asking why the taxi horses can run faster than their normal mounts rather than complaining about warsteed speed.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3