We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I agree with most of the posts upthread.

Ride your Warsteed in open country and your regular mounts in town.

You still cop a buzz riding the Inn League horse. Why would you stop using that?

(edit) And the fireworks laden horse still shoots fireworks on occasion. That's also worth using the mount.

What we really need is MC in the lower areas. You know for when all those goblins get in your way.
    Last edited by CheeseFan; Jun 30 2013 at 02:37 PM.
    Claims made in forums are larger than they appear in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Btw, I think that Gandalf was the first one who rode his War-steed Shadowfax outside of Rohan. Blame him for your frustration,
    Shadowfax was in no way a War-steed. He was the Lord of the Mearas.

The War-steeds we have are lesser relatives and erstwhile decendants of the Mearas.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    In my opinion, allowing war steeds outside of Rohan seems to be to have been one of the smartest moves the developers have made.
    I fixed that for you to be a better statement. And, I have to agree with those who are saying that your statements are just bunk...

There is nothing in the game forcing you to use your war steeds all the time and ignore your other [normal] steeds.

And, about traveling with people who don't have war steeds... there is this little thing called /follow that solves that problem. I use /follow a lot when I'm running my 2 accounts together and both characters ride at the slower speeds without an issue.

I wish that Turbine would allow me to use my war steed abilities outside of Rohan. That would make things so much easier!
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Glad to hear lots of others don't like to fight with a warsteed. They make me seriously sick to my stomach, so I parked my 2 level 77's.

I don't ride my war horse anywhere! lol

I honestly don't see what your complaint is. It would be like complaining my car runs too well.
    Can I has fixed Fornost and ITA lootboxes?

I personally love riding my war-steed all over middle earth. I ride a light version, so I can go really fast. The other day I was deeding and having a fast war-steed to travel in the old regions really helped speed things up.
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

Given the love of customization and cosmetics many players possess, the fully customizable war steeds were a great moneymaking idea on Turbine's part… Many of the store horses also come with cosmetics to use for the war steeds, such as the class horses.

I usually ride regular horses in Bree unless I've just come up with a cool outfit for the war steed and want to show off. My FPS drops below 10 in towns so half the time I have to walk the regular horse just to keep from slamming into things. War steeds are notoriously bad on cobblestone or rocks and making sharp turns and corners, so riding them through towns on laggy computers isn't really a good idea.

I have a decked out war steed for my main character, but I'm not sure if I will make a big effort for my second character. The fireworks horse is "her" horse, and Turbine has not made a war steed version of this tack. She will probably just ride the fireworks horse unless she is in Rohan.

Warsteeds can be frustrating to maneuver but practice makes it better. I ride mine all over and in towns just to practice. You may have seen me skid by you trying to turn running through NPCs in your town.

My warsteed has no armor or any barding of any kind and I am always complimented on it and how it looks. If I ride with kin we all ride the lowest common denominator so we stay together, riding my warhorse while others ride their regular horses would be rude. I congratulate Turbine on a good decision.
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

I was on a low level burg, no mount and 5% run speed, yesterday getting the berries. Another player outraced me to them on her war steed. And slid past. ROFL. I got the berries of course.

I have not gotten to where I can use a war steed yet, and will not get one until I have finished all the content before Rohan. Also, aren't they XP stealers, taking half yours when you have not reached max yet, even when you are not mounted? Seems like it is better to get to max level, THEN getting the steed...
    Last edited by redwoodtreesprite; Jun 30 2013 at 04:49 PM.
    Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodtreesprite View Post
    I was on a low level burg, no mount and 5% run speed, yesterday getting the berries. Another player outraced me to them on her war steed. And slid past. ROFL. I got the berries of course.

I have not gotten to where I can use a war steed yet, and will not get one until I have finished all the content before Rohan. Also, aren't they XP stealers, taking half yours when you have not reached max yet, even when you are not mounted? Seems like it is better to get to max level, THEN getting the steed...
    No. The war steed does not steal any XP. They get their own XP.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Considering you can't get a war steed until level 71 minimum, I don't really see the problem. You're acting like any new character you make will have access to a steed as well while making regular mounts obsolete.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

I'm pretty much like everyone else, I ride my warsteed in open areas and use my regular mounts in towns. Most of the time, I don't even bother with mounts in towns. *shrug* If I'm with a kin member who hasn't gotten their warsteed yet, I either switch to a horse that they can keep up with or put them on follow and let them drag me around. :P
    Work in progress...

Of course my opinion has to be opposite.

I don't use my normal mounts anymore. My warsteed just looks so much better. I toggle it down to a lower speed to have sufficient control in busy areas.

And I bask. I bask!

War steeds rule.

I love my warsteed. You can't force me not to sit on it wherever I go, unless it's somewhere indoors.
    I love it just as much as my character. I ride it through town just fine, but if i'm having trouble, I
    slow to a trot rather than get on the old, regular steeds.

Having the cosmetics from those steeds would be nice, no doubt. But it's not going to happen because
    of the massive amount of work it'd take for pretty much no profit for turbine.

I'm glad they gave us the option to ride it everywhere. I never go to Moria these days because they
    don't allow warsteeds. I would probably avoid going to early-regions for the same reason if they forced
    that on me.

As much money as I spent on that warsteed, you think i'm not gonna ride it everywhere!?
    Fool, you must be crazy.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000046ddaa/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    Shadowfax was in no way a War-steed. He was the Lord of the Mearas.

The War-steeds we have are lesser relatives and erstwhile decendants of the Mearas.
    This part is wrong.

War Steeds are Mearas horses, Shadowfax was the king's horse only until Gandalf came along and rode it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    This part is wrong.

War Steeds are Mearas horses, Shadowfax was the king's horse only until Gandalf came along and rode it too.
    They totally are not.

Shadowfax was not the King's horse. You're getting confused there with the fact that the King was allowed to ride a mearas.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Well, I think they should let players use the war steed out of Rohan because it gives the players more freedom and so they never have to get off their war steed.
    Plus I believe that you couldn't even use a war steed out of Rohan cause I sure can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Borrimere View Post
    Well, I think they should let players use the war steed out of Rohan because it gives the players more freedom and so they never have to get off their war steed.
    Plus I believe that you couldn't even use a war steed out of Rohan cause I sure can't.
    You can use war steeds pretty much anywhere for travel, but only in the new areas for combat. Although a few places--Thorin's hall for example--you can use old style mounts but NOT war steeds. They are considerably faster than the old mounts and I'm floored anyone would be so inept with them that they would consider sacrificing that speed. No one I know that has a war steed uses their other mounts anymore, except in the most rare, role-play occasions. Interest in them has gone WAY down in any conversation I've been in, except for one older lady I interact with who collects them like cats, and knows all their names. I believe Turbine could have kept the interest in them by simply restricting them to Rohan--it makes sense, as they are from that area--and it would keep more end-game level players using their old style mounts occasionally.

At least for the long term players I know, we're on upper level characters a LOT more than lower levels--plus, it's those very high level characters that are likely to have a player's main horse collection. My lowbie alts always just have a few--its my main that has dozens. Horses that are seldom seen now.

Ridiculous to say "you don't have to use them if you don't want to." You play within the parameters the game gives you, and giving the entire level 75 and up player base access to war steeds essentially every where means they will be used. It was a badly thought out parameter that gives very little to the game. It doesn't even make sense--I have a "war steed" that can fight a war band in Eastern Rohan, but inexplicably loses it's fighting abilities against a freaking Boar in Bree????

Re: "more freedom". Giving people "freedom" (or making things "easier" or more "convenient") should be just a small part of the concern in game design. Not having those things (in the proper doses) is what makes it a interesting to play. Otherwise they could just turn on god-mode and call it a day with character's instantly killing every mob with one hit and traveling wherever they want with one click .
    I7-950, Sabertooth X58, 6950, 840SSD (250gig), 6gb ram, 1920x1200 28i, Win 8

I think that Turbine should release mounted combat all over Middle Earth, can you just imagine deeding wolves in Ered Luin with trample? And also, release the creeps all over Middle Earth... But that's a bit off-topic...? (:

I still use normal mount steeds, in the Ettenmoors, and at crowdy festival events. Mostly I use the warsteed though, I really really like it that it behaves like a real horse.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720601000028c012/signature.png]Mortum[/charsig]

Personally I ride my warsteed everywhere on all of my characters who have them. It's far better in my opinion to have a single great horse than hundreds of others. My warsteed is a companion, it adds to my character and RP. They are faster, they look better, they are customisable, especially with the ability to add festival tabards etc... I look forward to a time when I can fight with my warsteed in all of middle earth. It really makes me smile and a bit sad when I read about people who don't use them and don't even bother fighting with them in Rohan. It's pathetic to be honest that you guys can't control them and would rather have the slower less agile horses. You stick with your little slow horses guys. That rider out running you? That was me on my warsteed.

I don't buy the personal preference argument, I think it's just poor players blaming the warsteeds for their lack of skill. Here's a tip if you didn't know it, turn on auto-stop in options, it makes it a lot easier when riding and you won't slide around.

In my opinion a bad workman blames his tools and a bad rider/player blames his horse.
    Last edited by Helyn; Aug 02 2013 at 07:39 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodtreesprite View Post

They probably slid by because like most people they don't realise warsteeds have an auto-stop option that stops them dead when you take your finger off the movement button. If that had been me I would have got those berries before you because I can ride my warsteed properly.

No, they don't take your XP, they gain xp separately in the same way that LIs do. When you hand in tasks for example they get a separate xp allocation. Don't let ignorance and prejudice stop you going for your warsteed. Get it at 75.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by Helyn View Post
    They probably slid by because like most people they don't realise warsteeds have an auto-stop option that stops them dead when you take your finger off the movement button. If that had been me I would have got those berries before you because I can ride my warsteed properly.

No, they don't take your XP, they gain xp separately in the same way that LIs do. When you hand in tasks for example they get a separate xp allocation. Don't let ignorance and prejudice stop you going for your warsteed. Get it at 75.
    Get it at 71!
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

If one's upset about their regular (non war-)steeds being slower than their combat enabled counterparts, I'd point out you can buy an upgrade in the store that makes your non combat mounts increase to a blanket +68% run speed, or even a +78%. Not the best option (or cheapest, by a long shot), but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Patr1x View Post
    If one's upset about their regular (non war-)steeds being slower than their combat enabled counterparts, I'd point out you can buy an upgrade in the store that makes your non combat mounts increase to a blanket +68% run speed, or even a +78%. Not the best option (or cheapest, by a long shot), but it's there.
    Still--the war steed is 158% (or so as I recall). And that update is something like 2000 or more TP.

I agree that it's pretty silly to NOT use the war steeds when you have them because you "can't control them". Learn. They move so much faster, and much of the time I'm in the non-Rohan areas I'm running, say, across Bree to get to the center parts, or doing deeds in the lone-lands, or collecting resources in dunlending---speed is not something I'm going to ignore because I want to smell the roses. Sheesh. It's not that I'm "always in a hurry". It's I have somewhere to be, and I'm going to take the fastest option over territory I've seen a million times before. When does it stop? Would it be good for them to give us horses that travel at 300%? 2000%?

People use options when they have them--I know I do. The art in designing a game is knowing when not to give people options in the interest of a better game. If everything "easier" was by definition better, then they might as well make us all be level 85 from day 1 and killing things with one hit. But if they gave us that option the game would be dead, no matter how you say you personally don't have to partake of it. Limits are a part of a "game" no matter how annoying each limit might seem. And I still say--in the big picture, this is an option (war steeds everywhere) that is hurting the look, variety and dynamics of the game by effectively removing non-war steeds from (most) end-game level player's interest.
    Last edited by daneyul; Aug 09 2013 at 09:09 AM.
    I7-950, Sabertooth X58, 6950, 840SSD (250gig), 6gb ram, 1920x1200 28i, Win 8

Considering that all the classes I play (except one- my warden) have absolutely no travel skills other than what ports I may get from reputation and housing, being able to use the warsteed anywhere under the open sky has been a HUGE blessing.

If you're traveling with someone who has a slower mount, either use a slower mount yourself or slow down the warsteed. If you can't do either of those, well.... You suck at manners.

Same goes for in towns and such- slow down. Smell the lovely virtual flowers and digital garbage. If you really have such a hard time not going fast, I would really hate to see what your IRL speeding tickets might be like.

But, back to what I do- My main uses her warsteed everywhere. Because she works to gather ore and hides to supply crafters (both in her kinship and in the AH), she travels all over the map. And yet she still uses a great deal of her older mounts, too. Festivals, fellowing, densely packed areas.... Sometimes just because she feels like it.

Besides, getting from Suri-Kyla to the other side of the Ice Bay is so much faster on a warsteed than even on a stable horse. So, it's a very good thing that we can use them outside of Rohan.

Allowing use of warsteeds outside of Rohan was a great move on the Devs part. People like them, people learn how to use them, and people still use the old horses even at the level cap.
    [IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/10hncxh.jpg[/IMG]
    [COLOR="#8B4513"][MY ALTS] [B]Balvur[/B] warden/ [b]Hallti[/b] guardian/ [b]Hila[/b] burglar/ [b]Elenauriel[/b] runekeeper/ [b]Dolmifaynar[/b] minstrel [/COLOR]
    I speak my mind because it [COLOR="#B22222"][i]hurts[/i][/COLOR] to bite my tongue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast